Sign in to follow this  
caik

Conflict Resolution Server

This is a topic dedicated to the idea of a safe* server for clan warfare and real life conflicts to be resolved.

Our game is what we make of it, the beauty of that and the opportunity to create something beautiful is why I'm still enamoured with DayZ. I have often thought that this game has more to offer than solely entertainment, I believe it has the potential to do some good outside of the Internet. Aim high and remember to follow your dreams, so here goes:

When (not if) this game is finished, I would like to have my own server, unlike any other it would be solely for players to arrange a peaceful meeting with those they are in direct conflict with in game or real life. Clans that are ruining each other's enjoyment, lone wolfs being picked on and base builders frustrated with the destructive nature of all of us constantly satchel charging their base, could arrange a safe* meeting supervised by one of my team and opening a channel for dialogue, hopefully resulting in some progress towards conflict resolution. Nobody would be forced to attend obviously, those that choose to ignore the invitation to discuss can continue with their game plan. Meeting plans could be arranged using the radio comms in game or via steam chat.

Is their a demand for this? Or could the negotiations take place without a special server and independent facilitators?

On the other hand, real life problems that are more serious and not easily resolved through a game could be discussed openly and without prejudice. For example: debates could be had between the Scots and the English players about our union, trump supporters/opponents, Serbs and Croats, fascists and Antifa. In game there are people from all round the world who have preconceived ideas about others from afar, could this become a small contribution towards a better, united world?

A culmination of my two favourite things: DayZ and politics. Like I said "aim high" and we could achieve great things!

* Safe as it can be with a no rules server. Meetings could still be interrupted by bandits and mischief makers. Low loot as the disincentive for these undesirables. Meeting rules would allow for all out murder for those that draw the first blood by the "class monitors". No bans and everyone welcome to have a second or third attempt at a peaceful meeting. No limits on freedom of speech, except to incite violence on others.

Technical question: Is it possible to have a server that is connected to all hives, private and public? Obviously I would need a compadre to deal with the technical side of running a server - any volunteers

I can see it already

Trump supporters : MAGA !!!11!!

Hillary supporters : The election was rigged by Russians !1!!11!!

End up killing each other. 

On a serious note, can we keep politics and other real life conflicts out of the game ? Aren't they supposed to be a break from the mad real world ? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, General Zod said:

I can see it already

Trump supporters : MAGA !!!11!!

Hillary supporters : The election was rigged by Russians !1!!11!!

End up killing each other. 

On a serious note, can we keep politics and other real life conflicts out of the game ? Aren't they supposed to be a break from the mad real world ? 

I think you're right. Hopefully a wee bit more discussion than that though and then the all out warfare, yee ha.

They may even sympathise (for a second) with their opponents, before venting their anger and murdering. Still, an improvement on KOS, IMO.

"On a serious note, can we keep politics and other real life conflicts out of the game ? Aren't they supposed to be a break from the mad real world ?"

Yes, nobody would be forced to join in. Some who avoid their real life differences by hiding in front of a screen, may benefit from dealing with some of their real life issues in game though. I used to be an Ostrich...

If players were against the idea of political discourse encroaching on their escapism, they could come across exactly what they dislike and murder away. Nothing unites real life opponents more than a common in game enemy. Could you imagine their delight as they come across a bunch of snivelling lefties and frothing right wingers...

Suggestion for Devs: Any chance of a debating chamber in some of the municipal buildings (Cherno and Novo)?  Bomb proof preferably..

Edited by caik

I'm confused: What would DayZ add to any potential real world conflict resolution that can't already be done using more traditional means? Surely taking such serious issues into a fantasy space would in fact devalue any discussion, much in the way Holyrood was used to devalue and distract from Scottish input into Westminster, something the SNP fell for hook, line and sinker?

Further, I think taking conflict resolution out of private hives and into a safe space would detract from the emotional power these private communities can hold over their players.

Finally, I don't think it's possible to create a server that connects to more than one hive at a time. It shoul be possible to export data from the database of one hive and into a new one, though.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mithrawndo said:

I'm confused: What would DayZ add to any potential real world conflict resolution that can't already be done using more traditional means? Surely taking such serious issues into a fantasy space would in fact devalue any discussion, much in the way Holyrood was used to devalue and distract from Scottish input into Westminster, something the SNP fell for hook, line and sinker?

Further, I think taking conflict resolution out of private hives and into a safe space would detract from the emotional power these private communities can hold over their players.

Finally, I don't think it's possible to create a server that connects to more than one hive at a time. It shoul be possible to export data from the database of one hive and into a new one, though.

Some people spend a lot of their time in fantasy spaces (here for example) and are more comfortable with the safety of the internet. Not everyone likes to go out campaigning and looking for info/opinions in reality. I like the idea that people can communicate directly, someones voice can display their true meaning (tone and emotion). With typing like here, I struggle to understand peoples true meaning and this causes difficulty in communicating effectively.

I'm guessing your tone is derogatory towards holyrood and the SNP, feel free to open a thread in off topic. I think it would help both of us to have a free and open discussion in person (impractical, so much easier to meet at the great debating halls of chernarus). We could disagree as much as we like, but we would have to work together to defend the debate from infected and anti-debate bandits... You up for it?

In our chosen private servers, we tend to be overly protective of that space. The idea of a safe* server where nobody has control would allow more trust between the meeting parties IMO. Less likely for back stabbing and dishonesty. Maybe even a better outcome for all. Please excuse my hypothecating and assumptions.

Thanks, I was wondering how that could work, you reckon a private server could share data for the purpose of venturing to a meeting or debate? Then detach easily, allowing for the next data share and pre-arranged meet?

I dislike party politics in general rather than specifically the SNP, apologies if it felt like a derailment! ;)

Looking back I wasn't very clear. By traditional means I don't mean necessarily outside the internet, but rather was questioning what tying such discussions into an online first person camera game would add that isn't already possible via internet forums, VoIP and such like. I'm possibly missing something obvious, but I can't imagine what would be added by giving us all imaginary guns and making us deal with survival elements whilst we discuss real world issues. Regarding settling in-game disputes, you imply above that the threat of bandits and infected would push us closer together and that this could be used to find common ground, but surely then this would be diluted by taking such discussions into a private, isolated server rather than keeping such diplomacy as part of the private hive's own meta?

you reckon a private server could share data for the purpose of venturing to a meeting or debate? Then detach easily, allowing for the next data share and pre-arranged meet?

Anything is possible with data, provided you've got the tools and the access. Right now, we lack the latter, but in theory there should be no reason why privately hosted servers won't be able to backup/restore/wipe their hive files as they see fit, allowing migration from one hive to another. Hopefully this will extend as far as being able to drill down on the data prior to export or import, which would allow for modification of the hive files to (for example) move characters after import without altering any other characteristics.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mithrawndo said:

I dislike party politics in general rather than specifically the SNP, apologies if it felt like a derailment! ;)

Looking back I wasn't very clear. By traditional means I don't mean necessarily outside the internet, but rather was questioning what tying such discussions into an online first person camera game would add that isn't already possible via internet forums, VoIP and such like. I'm possibly missing something obvious, but I can't imagine what would be added by giving us all imaginary guns and making us deal with survival elements whilst we discuss real world issues. Regarding settling in-game disputes, you imply above that the threat of bandits and infected would push us closer together and that this could be used to find common ground, but surely then this would be diluted by taking such discussions into a private, isolated server rather than keeping such diplomacy as part of the private hive's own meta?

Anything is possible with data, provided you've got the tools and the access. Right now, we lack the latter, but in theory there should be no reason why privately hosted servers won't be able to backup/restore/wipe their hive files as they see fit, allowing migration from one hive to another. Hopefully this will extend as far as being able to drill down on the data prior to export or import, which would allow for modification of the hive files to (for example) move characters after import without altering any other characteristics.

Apology accepted, but not required.

Unfortunately party politics is where we are at. I am still prepared to push for change of our shared disfunctional system if at all possible.

We wouldn't be talking if it wasn't for this game and we should recognise the value of that. Any means of open dialogue are beneficial and I was just wondering if their was demand for it in game. I frequent political forums, but I have never had a verbal conversation with strangers about our differences online. Plenty of real life door knocking though. I would like to be able to chat to as many people as possible to help me have a fuller understanding of others with a different opinion and be able to have fun together at the same time. No harm in trying.

I haven't seen or been involved in a conversation with anyone or groups to resolve issues in game before. Once (3 years ago) a whole server hunted a rule breaking bandit called Setcat. It was awesome because he/she was a real threat to us all (arma experienced veteran). They left the server only to return a few months later explaining they felt bullied. If we had better opportunity to talk freely we could have settled our differences and Setcat could have remained as a valued player/bandit. I would like to help others avoid this scenario and improve the attitude of players towards even their most revered enemies in game and real life.

Sounds like you know what your talking about concerning the sharing of data between hives. I can just about manage a keyboard and mouse!