ZomboCZ

Could mushrooms possibly share the same dynamic system with apples?

When I asked Brian about used mechanics for mushroom picking, he replied:

Yesterday, Peter, the Lead Designer, joined a Twitter conversation about apple trees and revealed that the team is actually "prototyping dynamic spawning of apples and others": 

– in this case, the others could be plums and pears, shown in the dev tool for loot control below: hruška on the left control panel means pear in Czech and you can see both mushrooms and various fruit trees on the right control panel:

s87mxlo.jpg

Last known status of mushrooms:

Archived on Trello – WIP models

Added to 0.60 Changelog: "Mushrooms from old config to EN5C config" (Feb 2, 2016)

I would love to see a preview of the prototype or some information how the system should work in the future.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

Know nothing about apples, mushrooms but

I hope we get that zone config tool for modding.

"In addition to this - regional loot control is being prepared for internal testing. CLE functionality is present, and the designers are now working with a fairly versatile new tool allowing them to set location types, regional areas, and even more - with rapid flexability. In addition to allowing us even more precise control over the in-game economy, this should also be a huge tool for mod authors."

– Status Report – 26 Nov 2015

Other than eating, what might a person do with mushrooms in such a setting? Anything?

19 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Other than eating, what might a person do with mushrooms in such a setting? Anything?

Make a soup, make a tea, a poultice for wounds, or take recreationally ;D 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Except mushrooms are literally the last thing anyone would want to be eating in a survival situation.

19 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

Except mushrooms are literally the last thing anyone would want to be eating in a survival situation.

But some of them would do great at parties ;)

15 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

Reason?

Yes, picking and eating raw mushroom as it is wouldn't probably be the best idea, but same goes for raw meat or whatever else you can find and eat while not being real food.

Just as you hunt an animal, quarter it, cook it and eat it, you could search for mushrooms, clean and cook them, possibly add some other ingredients to make a stew or soup.

And make it fun - normal edible types like bay bolete, semi-edible amanitas that would make you sick and trip balls, or poisonous amanitas that would simply kill you.

4 hours ago, Rhombus89 said:

Reason?

Yes, picking and eating raw mushroom as it is wouldn't probably be the best idea, but same goes for raw meat or whatever else you can find and eat while not being real food.

Just as you hunt an animal, quarter it, cook it and eat it, you could search for mushrooms, clean and cook them, possibly add some other ingredients to make a stew or soup.

And make it fun - normal edible types like bay bolete, semi-edible amanitas that would make you sick and trip balls, or poisonous amanitas that would simply kill you.

Mushrooms provide next-to-no calories, all while the chance for misidentification remains unacceptably, hilariously high. 

It isn't "eat the wrong mushroom and get a tummyache", more like "eat the wrong mushroom and die from liver failure".

BY eating mushrooms, you are actively hindering your chances of survival.

https://www.survivalresources.com/Articles/MushroomsNotForSurvival.html

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/plants-1.php

• Like 1

On 25. 1. 2017 at 3:33 PM, Whyherro123 said:

Mushrooms provide next-to-no calories, all while the chance for misidentification remains unacceptably, hilariously high. 

It isn't "eat the wrong mushroom and get a tummyache", more like "eat the wrong mushroom and die from liver failure".

BY eating mushrooms, you are actively hindering your chances of survival.

https://www.survivalresources.com/Articles/MushroomsNotForSurvival.html

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/plants-1.php

So basically, you're saying "don't add them cause you can mistake an edible one for poisonous one and generally it isn't the simpliest and best survival option there is".

Drinking disinfectant isn't the best for survival either, but it's an option in the game. How come?

Isn't the fact that you can distinguish what you can and cannot eat the part of survival? Afterall, it's written in the guide you posted.

Also, I myself go pick mushrooms every summer and I know very well how to identify which one's which or what it feels like to eat a slightly poisonous one. It's not as hard or drastic as the survival guides for city folks say.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rhombus89 said:

So basically, you're saying "don't add them cause you can mistake an edible one for poisonous one and generally it isn't the simpliest and best survival option there is".

Drinking disinfectant isn't the best for survival either, but it's an option in the game. How come?

Isn't the fact that you can distinguish what you can and cannot eat the part of survival? Afterall, it's written in the guide you posted.

Also, I myself go pick mushrooms every summer and I know very well how to identify which one's which or what it feels like to eat a slightly poisonous one. It's not as hard or drastic as the survival guides for city folks say.

Read almost every survival guide every written, and you will come across a section of the book, printed in big bold letters.

DO NOT EAT MUSHROOMS IN A SURVIVAL SITUATION.

I mean, hell, I've got three different survival guides in front of me, one military and 2 civilian, and they all say the same thing.

Oh, and if you ate a poisonous mushroom ... you would be dead. There isn't really a "slightly poisonous" mushroom.

By the way, what exactly is "the survival guide for city folks"?

4 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

Read almost every survival guide every written, and you will come across a section of the book, printed in big bold letters.

I mean, hell, I've got three different survival guides in front of me, one military and 2 civilian, and they all say the same thing.

Oh, and if you ate a poisonous mushroom ... you would be dead. There isn't really a "slightly poisonous" mushroom.

By the way, what exactly is "the survival guide for city folks"?

You don't get my point.

This is a game - specifically, a game revolving about players making choices that decide whether they survive or not.

For that, you need variety and choices that are either positive or negative. If you add only stuff from your book "What to do when you need to survive" without anything that can kill you or atelast make your ingame life harder, then you just go around and do whatever because there's nothing to harm you.

And yes, different mushrooms have different level of toxins.

On 27.01.2017 at 1:50 PM, Whyherro123 said:

Thanks for the info about shroms, but I think Rhombus69 kinda has a point. After all, we still have the option 'Drink All' from a jerry can. You probably wouldn't recommend eating raw human meat in a survival situation, yet you can do just that. To be honest, I even it find inconsistent that we can't drink seawater if we're apparently so fine with gasoline. The line of 'your toon wouldn't do that so it's not even a option' is a fine one, but nevertheless mushroom eating should very well be there. Maybe the shrooms could be fine tuned so that they are detrimental to you when you just went to the forest as a freshie but prove a nice and tasty addition to an otherwise wholesome and balanced diet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Thanks for the info about shroms, but I think Rhombus69 kinda has a point. After all, we still have the option 'Drink All' from a jerry can. You probably wouldn't recommend eating raw human meat in a survival situation, yet you can do just that. To be honest, I even it find inconsistent that we can't drink seawater if we're apparently so fine with gasoline. The line of 'your toon wouldn't do that so it's not even a option' is a fine one, but nevertheless mushroom eating should very well be there. Maybe the shrooms could be fine tuned so that they are detrimental to you when you just went to the forest as a freshie but prove a nice and tasty addition to an otherwise wholesome and balanced diet.

The things like drinking bleach and gasoline are there so your character can commit suicide, not because they are an emerging survival mechanic.

I also have no problems with mushrooms being implemented, I just want them to be realistic: one "good" type (meaning: effectively no nutrition, but they won't harm you. Most mushrooms have caloric counts in the single digits), and the rest will hurt or kill you in various nasty ways.

Not " LAWL Magic mushrooms brah!"

If they are going to implement mushrooms, then why not insects as well? At least insects are viable food in a survival situation.