Salty seadog

Will we be able to tame wolves, falcons or other animals?

Tried searching for this topic but I couldnt find an answer. Just wondering if there are any plans as of yet to add something like this into the game?

ARK did a pretty good job at this, giving each animal a few commands and different abilities to help the player survive, although the taming process got fairly legnthy.

Any official word on anything like this making it into the final game? Cheers

Animal companions were on the list some two years ago. Since then, I didn't hear much about it. There was some contradictory info about horses, too. Hopefully someone who follows status reports wil reply.

I'd love to be able to tame animals but I wouln'd recommend to hold your breath for that.

• Like 3

That would be very cool. I'm sure everyone would love that! 

On 18/1/2017 at 0:00 PM, Salty seadog said:

Tried searching for this topic but I couldnt find an answer. Just wondering if there are any plans as of yet to add something like this into the game?

ARK did a pretty good job at this, giving each animal a few commands and different abilities to help the player survive, although the taming process got fairly legnthy.

Any official word on anything like this making it into the final game? Cheers

Sure, you could set up your own travelling circus and entertain survivors across the land!

Entrance fee to the show to be paid in supplies and/or ammo.

It was confirmed by SMoss last year that animal companions are not happening as a part of the 1.0 experience. 

38 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

It was confirmed by SMoss last year that animal companions are not happening as a part of the 1.0 experience. 

Any reason for such a definite statement? Is it a technical issue? Dog companions would fit the DayZ ambience more than aircraft and most boomsticks, so I'm kinda surprised why they are ruled out so quickly.

7 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Any reason for such a definite statement? Is it a technical issue? Dog companions would fit the DayZ ambience more than aircraft and most boomsticks, so I'm kinda surprised why they are ruled out so quickly.

But the difference is we "need" those aircraft and more boomsticks -eyeroll-

As for "taming" (AHAHAHAHAHHA) wolves, birds-of-prey..... no. No thanks. 50,000 years of genetic modification went into dogs to prevent them from tearing out our throats on sight. Wolves aren't going to follow you around, wagging their tails, because you shared some shitty canned tuna a couple of times.

• Like 1

Sure, OP mentioned wolf taming but I guess we can talk about getting stray dogs to follow you, as well. Horses would be cool, too. And I see no reason why we can't milk cows, strange that they found their inner wild heart after the apocalypse. As for birds, I don't know how falconry works, but if all our survivors are trained pilots of both heli and fixed wings, it would absolutely no stretch for me if I could falcon some falcons bred before the apoc by some Communist dignitary. In fact, his summer mansion could replace Tisy - falcons, horses, various breeds of dogs and you're good to go. ;)

Yes, set up your own agricultural estate, ban all weapons and turn DayZ into a farming game. Why waste time with PvP? After all this is a survivor game right?

Why not suggest to the developers to add compulsory wake/sleep cycles (can't work or fight if you don't sleep), toilet needs, personal hygiene, tooth aches and many other "realistic" features to really make DayZ the perfect survivor simulator:  

Following this path, by the time the game is finally ready, I suspect the only people playing it will be Brian Hicks, the developers and their families and a handful of die hard dedicated players.

Edited by Lexman61

14 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

But the difference is we "need" those aircraft and more boomsticks -eyeroll-

As for "taming" (AHAHAHAHAHHA) wolves, birds-of-prey..... no. No thanks. 50,000 years of genetic modification went into dogs to prevent them from tearing out our throats on sight. Wolves aren't going to follow you around, wagging their tails, because you shared some shitty canned tuna a couple of times.

How ironic. You're making fun of him because you think he is wrong based on your knowledge. Wolves are generally scared or non-violent towards humans, their genetic instincts don't see us as a prey, at least not anymore. They will either stay away or attack in some circumstances. A very long time a go they probably were violent and saw us as prey. Then evolution kicked in on both sides. Humans got better and better at fending them off or hunting them and wolves learnt that we were dangerous.

Wolves in particular are very interesting animals. The way they behave, think, act, are built around  "respect", etc. Maybe do some research on that topic, it's very interesting, I assure you. Also maybe research a bit on genetic modification and evolution while you're at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IMT said:

Wolves in particular are very interesting animals. The way they behave, think, act, are built around  "respect", etc. Maybe do some research on that topic, it's very interesting, I assure you. Also maybe research a bit on genetic modification and evolution while you're at it.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying. That wolves wouldn't attack people, let alone run up to gunshots (!!!) is a no-brainer. The best we can do is hand-wave it as some kind of the Virus effect. But if you're implying (are you?) that wolves could be tamable... well, I'm not a wolf scientist but this sure seems far-fetched. Of course, there is that German guy who runs with wolves and is even considered alpha by one pack (although I read many times that the alpha-beta-etc. hierarchy is a myth and it's actually more family relations), but still, it's not like the guy is a beastmaster who can unleash a pack of wolves on some sleepy village in the mountains. The best deal he gets is his cut of their kill.

Wolves are sure as hell fascinating animals, but if in DayZ they were any true to reality, only few lucky people with +5k hours under the belt would actually get to see a pair of glowing eyes in the darkness. At least that's my impression based on several super duper cool documentaries I saw. And the other day, someone on this forum posted a track record of people killed by wolves. I don't remember the figures, but they were ridiculously low.

On the other hand, aggressive wolves don't hurt my immersion more than the Morphine, which is clearly modeled on some Diablo's Potion of Limb Restoration, and apparently I'm the only one who complains about that. So maybe we can keep some 'unrealistic' things for the sake of cool gameplay. I like hunting wolves, I got headshot by one of them yesterday and I'm moving out to get my revenge soon. But although the 'bad wolf' story is a myth, their running to gunshots is beyond ridiculous.

BTW, I wonder what the bear will be like.

7 hours ago, Lexman61 said:

Yes, set up your own agricultural estate, ban all weapons and turn DayZ into a farming game. Why waste time with PvP? After all this is a survivor game right?

Why not suggest to the developers to add compulsory wake/sleep cycles (can't work or fight if you don't sleep), toilet needs, personal hygiene, tooth aches and many other "realistic" features to really make DayZ the perfect survivor simulator:  

Following this path, by the time the game is finally ready, I suspect the only people playing it will be Brian Hicks, the developers and their families and a handful of die hard dedicated players.

I remember you from the other topic so I'm gonna give you a credit and just assume that you had a really rough day at your work today. You probably didn't mean what you wrote.

3 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I remember you from the other topic so I'm gonna give you a credit and just assume that you had a really rough day at your work today. You probably didn't mean what you wrote.

My dear Kirov, had a perfectly fine day so I'm feeling great, thanks for your concern. Hope you're ready for another round of debates on this wonderful but, sadly gone astray game.

We have been enlightened by the comments of an aspiring wild animal tamer and a zoologist so a logical step for the developers must surely be to add some "veterinary soft skills" to the game. Just to give it another little bit of extra "realism" that some players seem to yearn so desperately for. An insatiable crave for that final and all encompassing survival simulator utopia which the true believers hope to experience one day. The thirst of the faithful must be quenched. DayZ's high priest, the venerable Hicks and his devoted team have outlined the path to salvation. A niche game for the purest and most devoted souls. Those who worship the golden calf have no place in DayZ. They will burn in the eternal flames of inferior games.

Well, with all due respect I think that this fixation for realism is a very slippery slope. It has no logical end and those who support it can never get enough. As I have stated before, DayZ's concept is just too good to be limited to a "relatively few niche players". This game needs more players to thrive, not less.

But alas, I fear the course is probably irreversible. What a pity. 

Regards

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying. That wolves wouldn't attack people, let alone run up to gunshots (!!!) is a no-brainer. The best we can do is hand-wave it as some kind of the Virus effect. But if you're implying (are you?) that wolves could be tamable... well, I'm not a wolf scientist but this sure seems far-fetched. Of course, there is that German guy who runs with wolves and is even considered alpha by one pack (although I read many times that the alpha-beta-etc. hierarchy is a myth and it's actually more family relations), but still, it's not like the guy is a beastmaster who can unleash a pack of wolves on some sleepy village in the mountains. The best deal he gets is his cut of their kill.

Wolves are sure as hell fascinating animals, but if in DayZ they were any true to reality, only few lucky people with +5k hours under the belt would actually get to see a pair of glowing eyes in the darkness. At least that's my impression based on several super duper cool documentaries I saw. And the other day, someone on this forum posted a track record of people killed by wolves. I don't remember the figures, but they were ridiculously low.

On the other hand, aggressive wolves don't hurt my immersion more than the Morphine, which is clearly modeled on some Diablo's Potion of Limb Restoration, and apparently I'm the only one who complains about that. So maybe we can keep some 'unrealistic' things for the sake of cool gameplay. I like hunting wolves, I got headshot by one of them yesterday and I'm moving out to get my revenge soon. But although the 'bad wolf' story is a myth, their running to gunshots is beyond ridiculous.

BTW, I wonder what the bear will be like.

1) The wolf alpha-beta hierarchy thing is, actually, a fallacy, based on the behaviors of captive wolves. Wild wolf-packs are family units, with the so-called "alphas" merely being the parents of the others, and semi-usually the only breeding pair. When the pack gets too big, or younger wolves want to get some strange, they leave and form their own pack.

2) There is enough space in South Zagoria for ......maybe, one wolf pack. And, that is it. 

http://westernwildlife.org/gray-wolf-outreach-project/biology-behavior-4/

Just like there is enough space in SZ for  maybe a bear. Not a bear "pack", or a couple, but a singular bear.

http://www.theanimalfiles.com/mammals/carnivores/bear_brown.html

3) Wolves are far more likely to run away long before humans ever catch a glimpse of them. Contrary to popular opinion, humans are actually terrifying as fuck to most animals, including other predators, who usually only attack humans when they are starving (and therefore have no other options), we stumble into their dens/young (so they attack out of desperation), or they are cornered and have no way to flee (again, desperation)

The few instances of people "taming" wolves are almost always instances of wolf-dog hybrids, and the whole reason they can be tamed is because they are part dog. Amusingly, wolf-dogs are almost infinitely more dangerous than wolves, precisely because that lack the fear of humans that wolves have, yet still have the vestiges of wildness of their wolf ancestor.

Same thing with animals that get used to human presence, like wolves and coyotes and bears. Just because they are no longer terrified of you and run away, doesn't mean they are going to like you and let you interact with them. Animals that lack fear of humans are some of the most potentially-dangerous animals to encounter, as it lets you get close to them, where they can get pissed off real quick, as they are still wild animals.

NOTE: you can, in fact, "tame" wolves, and other wild animals, but it isn't like most people think of it. Instead of "two best friends surviving the apocalypse, only one is an animal", it is more like "some guy keeps the savagery of an animal away by constantly asserting dominance over it using the threat of violence or starvation".

Domestication is, quite literally, genetic modification, the selecting of offspring and the controlling of breeding for specific traits. Not just physical traits, but also temperament and mental faculties. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestication

3) You are not the only one who is bothered by Morphine, but it is unlikely to be changed at this point. I would prefer it if we just died if we got a broken leg, which is what the overwhelmingly likely outcome would be if you break your leg in an actual wilderness survival event, but that just might be me. Not really feasible, either, what with how fucked the engine is.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Lexman61 said:

I'm not sure what you problem is.

There is very little chance that anything they add to this game will ever detract from your ability to shoot other players, or mine either, for that matter.  In the case that game mechanics are too difficult for you to cope, people will mod servers with everything turned off except for guns and vehicles, just for you.

You can always turn off the features that make this game too hard for your specific need.  We cannot as easily add features to the finished game, as modders can turn off the things that make it too difficult for players who are seeking a more basic experience.

I actually like your idea of adding toothaches and personal hygiene to the game.  Players who avoid the inconvenience of bathing will smell bad and animals will flee from them at a greater distance.  No problem here, if all you ever want to hunt is players.
Players who neglect their dental health for too long will have difficulty eating steaks and cereal, and cry out in pain when attempting to eat beyond their means to chew.  Similar to how bone damage makes the player cry out randomly now.
I doubt you would ever survive long enough for it to be an issue anyway, if all you want is 24/7 fast turnaround, action-packed PVP; so what does it fuckin' matter to you, anyways?

Only time will tell how many of these type of things will be added to the game before 1.0.

In the meantime do us all a big favor.

teeloj4.jpg 

Edited by emuthreat
toppings
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I'm not sure what you problem is.........................

In the meantime do us all a big favor.

Reveal hidden contents

teeloj4.jpg 

Good morning to you Sir, nice to hear from you again.This forum can at times be quite interesting, especially when some of its members wake up from that stuffy old British gentlemen's club atmosphere they often dwell in. What a nuisance it must be for them when somebody questions Hicks evangelical message leading his faithful flock to the promised land.

Your religious fervor for DayZ is unmistakable, but you needn't worry about the presence of a few heretics who now and then utter a different opinion about this game.

The tsunami which struck the shores of PC gaming in December 2013 with DayZ has today become a placid country side stream, and by the time the game is finally finished it will be reduced to a stagnant pond. As often said before, a niche game for a handful of niche players will be the final outcome. What a waste.

Saint Hicks and his devoted legion of angel developers have outlined for the path for the ultimate survival simulator paradise. Aiming for a few chosen diehards who will stand by until the bitter end. 

Unless they are totally suicidal in their intentions, DayZ's possible release on console might still give them a chance to regain the once lost popularity, but somehow I doubt it.

In any case , I look forward to some more alternative opinions about the direction this game is taking.

Regards

Edited by Lexman61

1 hour ago, Lexman61 said:

Good morning to you Sir, nice to hear from you again.This forum can at times be quite interesting, especially when some of its members wake up from that stuffy old British gentlemen's club atmosphere they often dwell in. What a nuisance it must be for them when somebody questions Hicks evangelical message leading his faithful flock to the promised land.

Your religious fervor for DayZ is unmistakable, but you needn't worry about the presence of a few heretics who now and then utter a different opinion about this game.

The tsunami which struck the shores of PC gaming in December 2013 with DayZ has today become a placid country side stream, and by the time the game is finally finished it will be reduced to a stagnant pond. As often said before, a niche game for a handful of niche players will be the final outcome. What a waste.

Saint Hicks and his devoted legion of angel developers have outlined for the path for the ultimate survival simulator paradise. Aiming for a few chosen diehards who will stand by until the bitter end. 

Unless they are totally suicidal in their intentions, DayZ's possible release on console might still give them a chance to regain the once lost popularity, but somehow I doubt it.

In any case , I look forward to some more alternative opinions about the direction this game is taking.

Regards

Trolling long term members and devs are we ?
Your posts are mostly flammable material, not recommended.

Dayz game direction is set, which may not please some although it was clear from the start when the average estimated player time of survival was 1 / 2 hours.
I expect this will be the case in the future with threats from both player and other elements.
Although I doubt that typical console players will be able to adapt to such harsh environmental conditions the game will be a tense challenge for most.

Tamed dogs was one of the original propositions back in the mod days and may still be a thing.
It was and is possible, an original but modified script which gave the options to follow/sit/attack and roam to dogs was submitted and appreciated.

Edited by Brokenbones
  • Like 2

At least those that go to Exp put in a huge effort into bug reports deserve my respect, and i go to help them too.

I too have hundreds of hours actually on 2 accounts i have over 2000 hrs mostly testing and bug reports now.

For those that help report bugs, test things.... Salute to you!!!

On 20.01.2017 at 7:10 PM, Lexman61 said:

We have been enlightened by the comments of an aspiring wild animal tamer and a zoologist so a logical step for the developers must surely be to add some "[snip]

Lexman61, I refused to believe that you meant what you said not because I don't agree, but because what you said is literally one of the most prominent examples of Strawman that I've ever seen online, and I actually mean literally, which is saying something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

You could as well go to a forum for breastfeeding moms and say "So one day I'm not allowed to grab them by the pussy and the next day they cut my dick off!!!". Doesn't make much sense, does it? Your comments above have literally nothing to do with anything in the world, let alone with the discussion that we have here. I have no idea what you mean and what you criticize here, and why on earth you see any kind of connection whatsoever between animal companions and toilet needs. And sure as hell I'm not going to defend the Strawman.

But I'd love to implement toothache for anyone who honestly believe that they would be 'lone wolves/psychopaths' in an actual apocalypse. Most would quickly learn the lesson here.

Lexman61, I refused to believe that you meant what you said not because I don't agree, but because what you said is literally one of the most prominent examples of Strawman that I've ever seen online, and I actually mean literally, which is saying something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

You could as well go to a forum for breastfeeding moms and say "So one day I'm not allowed to grab them by the pussy and the next day they cut my dick off!!!". Doesn't make much sense, does it? Your comments above have literally nothing to do with anything in the world, let alone with the discussion that we have here. I have no idea what you mean and what you criticize here, and why on earth you see any kind of connection whatsoever between animal companions and toilet needs. And sure as hell I'm not going to defend the Strawman.

But I'd love to implement toothache for anyone who honestly believe that they would be 'lone wolves/psychopaths' in an actual apocalypse. Most would quickly learn the lesson here.

Back to the old British gentlemen's club (the air inside feels a little stale)! Let's all pat each other on the shoulder, spend endless pages discussing details on how to make DayZ ever more "realistic" and keep away those pesky annoying people who are not part of our little club of devoted and faithful DayZ disciples.

Nothing more interesting than engaging in a discussion with people who take themselves too seriously.

Regards (as always).

7 hours ago, Lexman61 said:

Back to the old British gentlemen's club (the air inside feels a little stale)! Let's all pat each other on the shoulder, spend endless pages discussing details on how to make DayZ ever more "realistic" and keep away those pesky annoying people who are not part of our little club of devoted and faithful DayZ disciple

Farewell, Lexman. I have no idea what you mean, who are you talking with or what you think is being said here. And I'd like to get back to the topic now.

On 21.01.2017 at 0:12 AM, Whyherro123 said:

2) There is enough space in South Zagoria for ......maybe, one wolf pack. And, that is it. 

http://westernwildlife.org/gray-wolf-outreach-project/biology-behavior-4/

Just like there is enough space in SZ for  maybe a bear. Not a bear "pack", or a couple, but a singular bear.

http://www.theanimalfiles.com/mammals/carnivores/bear_brown.html

True, but we need to remember that this is a long-term optimum, not a law of physics. If you release 10 wolf packs into a forest, you will briefly have 10 wolf packs in the forest. I can imagine many events which throw the equilibrium off balance - massive fires in North Zagoria come as first to my mind. Heavy forest devastation pushed throngs of animals into our Chernarus and right now we have an imbalanced situation, one that has to be resolved one way or another. Such congestion could also affect animal behaviour in various ways (e.g. that wolf pack which cornered you in Krasnystav was actually driven away from their hard-earned kill by another pack and is getting more and more desperate).

The sheer number of animals can always be hand-waved because you can always say that there was a huge zoo nearby or something like that. The bigger problem is animal behaviour. Wolves need to stop running up to gunshots and if they don't, we need some explanation about virus effects. I have no problems with only certain species being affected by the virus, in the exact manner necessary for a cool game plot, it's all just a game after all, but I'd like to be given such an explanation.