Salty seadog

Will we be able to tame wolves, falcons or other animals?

18 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

True, but we need to remember that this is a long-term optimum, not a law of physics. If you release 10 wolf packs into a forest, you will briefly have 10 wolf packs in the forest. I can imagine many events which throw the equilibrium off balance - massive fires in North Zagoria come as first to my mind. Heavy forest devastation pushed throngs of animals into our Chernarus and right now we have an imbalanced situation, one that has to be resolved one way or another. Such congestion could also affect animal behaviour in various ways (e.g. that wolf pack which cornered you in Krasnystav was actually driven away from their hard-earned kill by another pack and is getting more and more desperate).

The sheer number of animals can always be hand-waved because you can always say that there was a huge zoo nearby or something like that. The bigger problem is animal behaviour. Wolves need to stop running up to gunshots and if they don't, we need some explanation about virus effects. I have no problems with only certain species being affected by the virus, in the exact manner necessary for a cool game plot, it's all just a game after all, but I'd like to be given such an explanation.

It certainly can be handwaved, but it would feel hella forced. I would want to see the actual "equilibrium" factors in-game, like watching a forest burn down, or at least coming across the aftermath, as opposed to the devs :" Yeah, the animals attack because they are hungry, whatever."

For pretty much the entirety of Day Z Standalone's existence, the devs have pushed, promoted and praised a "realistic/authentic" survival game. If that were the case, then wolves, bears and other wild animals wouldn't really figure in.

By far, the most dangerous predator would could interact with in Day Z, as well as the most common, would be a rapidly-undomesticated feral, hungry dog. And they would be dangerous specifically because they lack fear of humans. The difference between that and a wolf are almost nil.  

As for diseases, most diseases tend to stay within one species, or one Family. Remember Avian and Swine flu? It was such a big deal specifically because they were able to jump species and remain so virulent. Most diseases when they do that generally amount to little more than a sniffle and a sore throat. 

21 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

It certainly can be handwaved, but it would feel hella forced. I would want to see the actual "equilibrium" factors in-game, like watching a forest burn down, or at least coming across the aftermath, as opposed to the devs :" Yeah, the animals attack because they are hungry, whatever."

As for diseases, most diseases tend to stay within one species, or one Family. Remember Avian and Swine flu? It was such a big deal specifically because they were able to jump species and remain so virulent. Most diseases when they do that generally amount to little more than a sniffle and a sore throat. 

Well, I certainly don't need to see on-screen rationale to buy it; a canon, like movie-style narration ("consult dayzpedia"0, would be fine. Putting a burnt down forest in game just to back up something seems way too excessive, and I wouldn't count on the implementation of forest fire.

As for the virus, come on, our Zed Virus is already somewhat magicky, so instead of consulting a team of bio-experts, I think it's best to care about the plot and fun. Even another kind of virus (like, there was an accident at a bio fac and several strains were released) would be enough for me to believe strange animal behaviour. After all, we seem to have no problem with the "civil war" thingie, which somehow doesn't convince me as to those magnums and shotguns in village houses. But I roll with it for the sake of gameplay.

2 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

As for the virus, come on, our Zed Virus is already somewhat magicky, so instead of consulting a team of bio-experts, I think it's best to care about the plot and fun. Even another kind of virus (like, there was an accident at a bio fac and several strains were released) would be enough for me to believe strange animal behaviour. After all, we seem to have no problem with the "civil war" thingie, which somehow doesn't convince me as to those magnums and shotguns in village houses. But I roll with it for the sake of gameplay.

What? No it isn't, the disease that "makes zombies" is literally a prion disease.

Which ..... hmm, you actually might have a point. If a wolf or a bear eats the spinal/brain tissue of a human infected with said prion disease, then they would develop it. That is how Mad Cow disease moved from cattle to humans, after all.

On 1/18/2017 at 9:57 AM, Kirov (DayZ) said:

A There was some contradictory info about horses, too. Hopefully someone who follows status reports wil reply.

Hicks said Marek Spanel (one of BI's owners) wants horses so I'm guessing we're getting that.

The animal companions is related to dogs. There was a dog mod in the mod that was very popular but buggy to install/run. My guess is it's dogs.

On 1/20/2017 at 6:12 PM, Whyherro123 said:

3) You are not the only one who is bothered by Morphine, but it is unlikely to be changed at this point. I would prefer it if we just died if we got a broken leg, which is what the overwhelmingly likely outcome would be if you break your leg in an actual wilderness survival event, but that just might be me. Not really feasible, either, what with how fucked the engine is.

Untrue , the developers and Hicks have stated many times that morphine will not be used as it is now when the advanced medical system comes in , im guessing it's already been worked on behind the scenes but the full implementation may start after the new player controller / animation system is implemented .

morphin healing broken limbs is simply an old legacy mod placeholder !

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 6:00 AM, Salty seadog said:

Any official word on anything like this making it into the final game? Cheers

I hear this feature will be completed by summer of 2024 :P