igor-vk

Who was killed by zombies in .61?

Last week I learned that I suck big time at playing this game. Altrough I play dayz in one way or another since February 2013. I was killed by zombies twice last week. Both time I survived few days on a row and spent looting stealthy all the time. At one point I lose nerves and rush trough town and aggro few zeds and start panicking and press wrong keys and eventually get killed.

I noticed one strange thing, didnt see it in any other post on forum or reddit. When I run away from zeds and they are close to me I have feeling zombie is holding me by my clothes. Not literarly, but my character feels like it cant escape from zombie. First time I entered house and closed door behind me but I couldnt run trough coridor, my charachter kept runing in place and got hit trough wall. Untill I got out the same doors and killed zombie. Second time I was in new military camp in Staroye, and when zed started hitting me I just couldnt get out of camp. It was like they are holding me for my bag and I run i circles around them (this time I survived). Third time at Dubrovka, at water tower. Same story, its like I run in place. Could it be because of internet connection?

• Like 1

Yes there is something going on that is causing them to warp at 100mph and they grab you by the shirt and hold on for dear life.

I think it is the smell of your cologne.

Don't be ashamed to die, i was testing with infected to see how well i would survive without a suppressor, and with and axe only.

Forget it if you get stuck in a house, or tent with 10+ of them. There is the pull me back into the tent special "FLAWLESS KILL" they get

I died over 20 times doing stupid things. So it is the same for all, experienced or not. You just have to deck out with suppressors, and stay away from the 1000 fatal blow hack @Hicks_206 (DayZ) Put in the game.

I swear he does this on purpose to get us back or something... for everyone that complains :)

Its not problem when I die. Zeds are not faster than player. Problem is when both zombie and I sorta run in place. Its like in cartoon when one guy grabs another by his suspenders and first guy rubber bands back and forward.

I actually enjoy different aproach in .61. Crawling and sneaking on zeds, hitting them to head from behind. 

I was low on blood near Severograd and got knocked unconscious when two zeds I hadn't seen came around a corner while I was bandaging. The instant I woke up I was knocked out again, and died.

Very embarrassing.

Edited by -Gews-
  • Like 2

I'm Kirov and I died to the zeds recently.

The story is, I hate the new hotbar. Back in the day, I had each key assigned to all the items I needed and went for and I always knew what is where. These days, I change the key assignments sometimes every several hours until I get to 9 (is there the tenth? Even the alice backpack doesn't give me 10-key hot bar). Anyhow, my primary and secondary weapons along with mags are always at different keys and in the heat of the battle I tend to hit the wrong button and either panic or just lose sth important (double so if instead of changing mags, I switch from secondary to primary and of course this makes my secondary my new primary and my primary gets lost in the grass and sometimes I hate you DayZ so much). :)

Furthermore, recently my broadband seems to get worse and I experience even worse desync with the zeds than other players do - sometimes it resembles the two vehicles issue in 0.59 like teleports, invisible/delayed hits, etc.

These two things combined, and being tired, and carrying rags in pants, and I lost what started as a casual shooting fun with the zeds at the Novo mil tents. A weapon lost, a weapon jammed, a broken leg and ruined rags later, I bled out to death with no other players in sight.

Thank you for allowing me to share this. I feel better now.

I mean, we all want the zeds to be actually dangerous, but we kinda never believe that they're gonna pose a threat to us, amirite?

only a couple of times.  my very first spawn when I ran from a zombie, and by the time I realized they don't get tired anymore I had like 8 more of them on my ass.  by the time I knew I had to stop and fight... nope.  second time a crawler pushed me through an upper floor wall and the fall broke my legs, and half a dozen other zombies aggro'd and dogpiled me.  all the other times were hypothermia.

2 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Even the alice backpack doesn't give me 10-key hot bar).

backpacks don't add slots to your hotbar at all.  at least I've never seen a pack make a difference.  and yeah I hate the new hotbar too.

Edited by Red_Ensign

Yeah, they are tough and I am enjoying it, except when you get the one shot kills on you.  happened to me twice the past two days.   One time I know it was due to low bone stat.  I had been splinted by my friends (they heard me cry out, but I didn't get any messages)  came back later in the day, had a zed charge me.  Whomp - one shot and dead.

On 1/16/2017 at 0:39 PM, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I'The story is, I hate the new hotbar. Back in the day, I had each key assigned to all the items I needed and went for and I always knew what is where. These days, I change the key assignments sometimes every several hours until I get to 9 (is there the tenth? Even the alice backpack doesn't give me 10-key hot bar). Anyhow, my primary and secondary weapons along with mags are always at different keys and in the heat of the battle I tend to hit the wrong button and either panic or just lose sth important (double so if instead of changing mags, I switch from secondary to primary and of course this makes my secondary my new primary and my primary gets lost in the grass and sometimes I hate you DayZ so much). :)

Here is a method that should hopefully reduce your frustrations. It worked for me.

Since you start with only a few slots, and it increases that over time as you get new gear, try prioritizing the slots in order of their type and range.

For example:

When you first start out:

1. Slot 1 is for your stone knife (since you'll be using it a lot at first for making rags, fires, and gutting chickens for making spears/bows/getting food/etc)
  2. Slot 2 is your main melee weapon, be it axe, spear, stick, can of tuna, whatever.
  3. Slot 3 is for your first gun with ammo
  4. Slot 4 is for your ammo for the gun in slot 3 (if needed)

As you gear up, the numbers change, but the pattern remains:

1. Slot 1 is your main melee weapon
  2. Slot 2 is your pistol
  3. Slot 3 is your primary rifle/gun (the one that you actually have ammo for)
  4. Slot 4 is for your ammo for the gun in slot 3 (if needed)
  5. Slot 5 is for your backup weapon in your pack (probably not as good as your primary, so it takes a back seat)
  6. Slot 6 is the ammo for slot 5 (if needed, these guns tend to have magazines)
  7. Slot 7 and up is for accessories (bandages, bincocs, etc)

And for your fully geared character:

1. Slot 1 is your main melee weapon
  2. Slot 2 is your pistol
  3. Slot 3 is your backup weapon in your pack
  4. Slot 4 is for your ammo for the gun in slot 3 (if needed, these guns tend to have magazines)
  5. Slot 5 is for your primary rifle/gun
  6. Slot 6 is the ammo for slot 5
  7. Slot 7 and up is for accessories (bandages, bincocs, etc)

Once your brain gets used to this pattern (or something like it), it is MUCH easier to hit the correct button in the heat of battle. The key is to always use the same pattern - the higher the number, the more powerful/longer range the item is, until you get to the accessories on the right hand side of the hotbar. Need your pistol? That's always #2. This shouldn't cause you to confuse it with the melee weapon that was there before, because if you have a pistol, it's always in slot 2.

Since the new reloading system was put in, if I have a lot of slots and a few guns, but only some have ammo, I leave a blank spot for it until I find ammo to put there. For example, if I have an axe, a hunting pistol (with no ammo) and a Mosin-Nagant with ammo, I'll leave slot 3 blank, so that when I find some .308, so I don't have to shift half my stuff one slot to the left. 

This way you only have to remember the hotkeys that have ammo assigned to them. If this is still giving you trouble, put a small square piece of brightly colored tape above/on those numbers. Even if you play in the dark and the only light is from your screen, it will be enough to see them in your peripheral vision or simply go by the feel of the keys.

Edited by chambersenator
  • Like 1

In response to the title question - Me. To be fair, the wolves helped.

• Like 1

I haven't died to zombies since .57 or .58

Dying to zombies? Happens more this patch than previous ones. Not often but it's usually when trying to be cheeky and wrangle 6+ of them into something like a garage and just end up being corner blocked and mauled to death with nothing to shoot with. Zombies 1 hit KO'ing me also happens. That one is kind of bullshit.

Me me me!!!  I've been killed a few times mainly due to screwing around and testing how much attention is drawn when firing a weapon.  I'm really starting to love the feel of the game.  It's bringing me back to the mod days of having to sneak around the infected and hope like hell you don't draw any attention.

• Like 1

I played on bad server last night again. Zombie walk in place and then suddenly slides 20m in half second. Then later my character was doing sprinting animatio but moving slower than prone.

I take that back. Yesterday i decided not to eat from apple trees at all when i'm starving. It's just to easy.. there are apple trees everywhere, so i almost died from hunger then i got killed by a zombie because i was black and white and in a low pop where the zombies are ruthless lol