exwoll

Any official opinion regarding a gamma exploit fix?

Well, I tried to navigate with stars once, they lead me in circles till I noticed that the nightsky moves way too fast and it's not of much use.....

And still, there isn't any comment from the devs regarding this issue. Not even a "yeah dude we know, and will fix it later, we're in alpha, relax" -.-

Exp.servers are on a 12x acceleration.  It says so in the server browser.  I'm not sure what the problem is here.  If you run for a whole hour before you realize that you are going in a circle, then I would say the problem lies somewhere other than in the sky.

Look for the Pleiades in the east as a sign that it is evening, and in the west as a sign that morning is near.  The north star is a bit too hard to find, as the apparent magnitude of stars does not increase when you zoom in, so I just look for Taurus, Pleiades, and Orion along the ecliptic; works every time...

• Like 1

There was a very lengthy and well written post a year or so back, that had tons of screenshots and possible solutions, so nighttime is nighttime, and not a 1930's movie because people crank up the gamma or mess with tools like Powerstrip which is your graphics card settings which the game has no way of controlling. The poster knew what they were talking about. I doubt it went unnoticed.

Edited by anderswhk

On 1/16/2017 at 6:36 AM, General Zod said:

@CJFlint Oh night and maybe even thermal vision will be in this game don't wory about that. 

I am fairly certain that Hicks has said a few times in the past that thermal optics of any kind (scopes, goggles, or binocs) will not be in 'standard/vanilla' DayZ.

I have little doubt that it will appear in a few mods when the time comes. That is sure to start quite a few arguments between those for and against them.

I would not want thermal vision in vanilla DayZ. I remember how unbalancing they were before SA came along. Once the little bird is added in, it will be doubly OP with someone riding on the bench with one looking for people to kill.

If modders want to include it in their creations, go right ahead.

12 minutes ago, GaryWalnuts said:

Night vision goggles are indeed on the dayz trello presently as a work in progress.

https://trello.com/c/eNJF0JNf/87-military-grade-night-vision-wip

However, I suppose it's possible that the devs have changed their minds about adding it into vanilla.

Night vision is fine by me (with the proper complications to balance it, like requiring special batteries). I'm talking about thermal vision.

- Night Vision

- Thermal Vision

Ideally, I would prefer the night vision to be restricted to goggles/binocs. I'm fairly certain they have no plans for an NV weapon optic.

Edited by chambersenator
  • Like 1

Oh my bad you did say thermal not night vision.  Personally, I'm glad there's no plan for that, same for nv weapon optics.  I think they'd stack the odds way too much.

58 minutes ago, GaryWalnuts said:

Oh my bad you did say thermal not night vision.  Personally, I'm glad there's no plan for that, same for nv weapon optics.  I think they'd stack the odds way too much.

In regards to their inclusion in future mods:

As a weapon optic thermal vision would be extremely OP, especially in a format like DayZ. However, in their binoc form, they would still be OP, but far less than a weapon-mounted one. They would be one of the most prized endgame possessions if their rarity was properly balanced for it's usefulness, but in a game like DayZ, they would carry with it a nasty psychological side effect for most players. It would be sort of a variant of Thanatophobia (the fear of death), but more focused on what happens because you die than the death itself - the loss of that item.

It can affect almost every choice they make:

"Do I take it with me today or should I leave it in my hidden stash? Is my stash really that well hidden? If I was able to find this great hiding place, that means someone else could too. What if some script kiddie found it? What if there's a persistence wipe I didn't know about? If I leave it, will I have time to go back and get it before I finish playing, just to be sure? Screw this, I'm taking it with me."

"Ok, so I have it with me. Now, if I just play it safe, I'll be fine. I just don't do anything stupid. It's ok, you're running with a good squad, they'll be as interested in keeping it safe as I am. I'm just doing overwatch, the others are taking the real risks. With this thing, we'll have the upper hand no matter what."

- Thirty minutes later, his buddies are wiped out in an ambush in a large town that turned into a long, drawn out fight that attracted at least two other groups. Only the guy on overwatch remains, mostly because he decided against helping his friends, despite their requests for him to help. He knows he made the right decision, as it was a lost cause, and their gear will be easy to replace, but not these thermal binocs. One grazing shot by a sniper, and he ran for the woods.

"OK, still alive, still got the binocs. They wont be able to catch me, as long as I put enough distance between them and me."

- A few minutes later

"I need food and water, but I can't risk hitting up this town, it's far too popular a place. I can take some damage from dehydration, I'm not that badly hurt. One more town over should be fine. Did I just hear a wolf?"

- 5 minutes later, he's dead. Maybe it was the wolves, maybe it was risking cholera to prevent dying of dehydration, maybe it was from a freshly spawned player who beat him to death with a can on tuna while he was drinking from  a well, maybe he misjudged some rocks that turned out to be a cliff and fell 20 feet to his death.

Edited by chambersenator
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, chambersenator said:

I am fairly certain that Hicks has said a few times in the past that thermal optics of any kind (scopes, goggles, or binocs) will not be in 'standard/vanilla' DayZ.

I have little doubt that it will appear in a few mods when the time comes. That is sure to start quite a few arguments between those for and against them.

I would not want thermal vision in vanilla DayZ. I remember how unbalancing they were before SA came along. Once the little bird is added in, it will be doubly OP with someone riding on the bench with one looking for people to kill.

If modders want to include it in their creations, go right ahead.

So make it extremely rare. Thermal vision costs a lot of money, if you live in Chernarus is costs a fortune so it won't be standard issue. Hell go a bit further, make it powered by a different also rare type of battery. 

Edited by General Zod

On 23/1/2017 at 10:02 PM, General Zod said:

So make it extremely rare. Thermal vision costs a lot of money, if you live in Chernarus is costs a fortune so it won't be standard issue. Hell go a bit further, make it powered by a different also rare type of battery. 

Yeah and while we're at it, just dont bother spending time and money making them if they're going to be so rare no one's going to find one.

NGV is more common than you think. And a place with so many military bases per square km would actually have a really higher than usual rate of NGV per person. But even if its not that, cameras with NGV (like Outlast game) could be a semmingly common civilian asset.

However, as long as they let my use my flashlight on my left hand while I use everything else (pistol, food, soda, medicines, etc) on my right hand at the same time, I would be more than happy for them to fix the gamma exploit.

5 hours ago, p4triot said:

NGV is more common than you think. And a place with so many military bases per square km would actually have a really higher than usual rate of NGV per person. But even if its not that, cameras with NGV (like Outlast game) could be a semmingly common civilian asset.

Not in a country that still uses water pumps.