quantumfish

hypothermia deaths

(I did try seeing if there was a dedicated recent topic about this but I must of missed it,  and I need to vent)

First off, I'm really enjoying most of 0.60, specifically the increase in number and ferocity of zombies. It has made the game much tougher and challenging and I love it, this is more like the game I originally expected. Wolves are also terrifying and I've had some scary experiences with them, again I love this.

However the effects of rain and dying from hypothermia has made playing very unenjoyable. Getting caught in the rain is almost certainly a death sentence. After the first few plays, I accepted that I needed to take more preventative action to not die from hypothermia and upped my game. I hoarded heat packs, made my fire making routine is as good as I can get it and did my best to stay dry. But it is not enough. If you get caught out in the rain without taking immediate shelter and not venturing out again, you will be alright if you are just damp or wet. However all the rain I've seen lasts for a very long time and the only way to continue trying to have some fun and not stay inside a shack all day is to change server, which I always feel like is cheating. Even making very quick dashes between buildings or tents  can get you drenched. Once you are drenched you will very quickly freeze to death. So even if you switch to a dry server( and you have to switch to a dry server to avoid the rain outside) and immediately venture out to find some trees and make a fire to dry yourself and get warm and deploy several heatpacks(do they even do anything or stack?) there is a very slim chance you will survive, as you go from cold to hypothermia extremely quickly. Since playing 0.60 stable, this has caused my death in all but 2 of my play throughs (one of those was on purpose). I have not managed to survive a drenching from rain even at an advanced stage in playing yet. 

Basically rain is death and dying from hypothermia takes a few minutes which is very unrealistic. I'm sure others have noted this and I may be reiterating, but I am a longtime player and lover of Dayz and now feel I can no longer play until this gets fixed. Even before when hypERthermia was an issue, you could get around that better laying in a pond for a long while and this I could persevere through. Others will give some better tips for surviving getting caught in the rain, but this should not be as  big survival issue in PVE as it has become. All the other aspects of 0.60 I have noticed, have been really good and I love what has been done but this issue is too much. Please sort this out. I'm sure action may have already been set to be taken but I just really needed to vent my frustration.

All the best

• Like 1

Game version is 0.61****

+ hotfix for exp build may have helped the situation.

1 hour ago, quantumfish said:

First off, I'm really enjoying most of 0.60, specifically the increase in number and ferocity of zombies. It has made the game much tougher and challenging and I love it, this is more like the game I originally expected. Wolves are also terrifying and I've had some scary experiences with them, again I love this.

However the effects of rain and dying from hypothermia has made playing very unenjoyable. Getting caught in the rain is almost certainly a death sentence. A

After losing a new character that I had managed to get fully geared up to hypothermia I decided to gear up with a Gorka jacket and trousers and see what that would do. Well I have been caught in the rain several times so far and have not even gotten cold or wet. I tend to get hot. so removing your hat and gloves helps to keep you cool. But the way hypothermia works now you are facing conditions that would be congruent to being on mount Everest at night.

The sequence

@you are wet

@you are drenched

@you are cold

@you are shaking

@you have hypothermia

@you are unconscious

@you are dead

is RAPID and un-recoverable once you are cold wet and shaking! 

Rain coat's, Fierman's Gear and Gorka Gear seem to stave off the "cold + wet = Rapid Death" formula

Good Luck

Note: with ammo and chow being less plentiful than before and the loot holds being guarded by replicating zombies that love gunfire (The dinner bell) I suggest that you get a suppressor, ditch your ax and grab a pitchfork it is IMHO the best melee weapon in the game you get a slash and a thrust (sweet). I exterminated nine zeds in a few minutes in Tisy. If I had been shooting I would have gotten mobbed by twenty of the bastards.    

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Xbow said:

sprint around and make a fire as fast as possible in a dry location (eg. barn). if you stop sprinting for a moment when you are wet you will cool out realy quick. so it's best not to stop unless you are gathering sticks and bark.

the fire will dry you up first, them warm you up. then you could wait until it stops raining. or go out again and travel a bit further and repeat the procedure.

if you react quickly enough being cold and wet, or even cold and drenched can be easily survived. but if you first react when you are at a body temperature of 35°C (freezing orange) you will drop into hypothermia (starting at 34.5°C) in no time and loose blood. Normal freezing (yellow) starts at 35.8°C and leaves you enough time to find shelter and materials for a fire.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HaseDesTodes said:

sprint around and make a fire as fast as possible in a dry location (eg. barn).

*in a dry location that's not currently bugged. 

If it is raining when you spawn, just take off your pants, and hold them in your hands.  That way, you will be wicking heat away from your body only half as quickly, while you search for a raincoat.  Making it to an industrial area or castle by sprinting pantsless, is a good move.  You can often search for stones in some of the shelters at these places.

Even a tree, just a good tree, is enough to shelter you from the rain while you make a fire.  Taking off your clothes by a fire, allows your body to dry off immediately, much like in a real survival situation.  It's really simple: cold, wet clothing=death.  If your clothes are wet, you are better off without them for the short term.  Saves my life every time.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

Really?

I use Skallisty as a nice place to gear up quietly, I also enjoy bumming about on prison island - this obviously means I need to swim. Not once have I died from cold.

If I get the messages I act. I wring out my clothes. I start a fire. If I can't start a fire I don't go running about in the rain until I die...

Like emu says - wring out your stuff.

The mechanics are there for everyone to be able to survive this. Get your act together!  :)

Edited by jimgun

Whoa buddy, I never said nothin' about wringing the clothes out.  You put words in my mouth.  

I just say take off your clothes. ; )

Pants are the devil's work.

Most of the stuff we could wring out when they introduced temperature is not wringable anymore. At least I have no options for that. I tried with different items and I can't recall seeing the wring option for a long time.

OP, make sure you know where you can put a fireplace indoors. If you get that, you can set up a working fireplace in a few minutes. Raincoats are also very important in this patch and I'm not above carrying an orange one in my backpack if I have no gorka.

But yeah, hypothermia from rain within 20 minutes kills not only toons, but I imagine some immersion, too. I'm sure the end result will be less drastic, so don't worry.

The first thing I would do is stripping gorka jackets of waterproofness. Harsh weather should push players towards survival-oriented solutions, not towards military tents. As it is right now, you just grab a gorka and you can go back to your 'sniping' like it was 0.40 all over again.

31 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

Whoa buddy, I never said nothin' about wringing the clothes out.  You put words in my mouth.  

I just say take off your clothes. ; )

Pants are the devil's work.

Quite correct, my bad.

11 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Most of the stuff we could wring out when they introduced temperature is not wringable anymore. At least I have no options for that. I tried with different items and I can't recall seeing the wring option for a long time.

OP, make sure you know where you can put a fireplace indoors. If you get that, you can set up a working fireplace in a few minutes. Raincoats are also very important in this patch and I'm not above carrying an orange one in my backpack if I have no gorka.

But yeah, hypothermia from rain within 20 minutes kills not only toons, but I imagine some immersion, too. I'm sure the end result will be less drastic, so don't worry.

The first thing I would do is stripping gorka jackets of waterproofness. Harsh weather should push players towards survival-oriented solutions, not towards military tents. As it is right now, you just grab a gorka and you can go back to your 'sniping' like it was 0.40 all over again.

You have to take them off, hold them in your hands, right clic, then you get the option...and it helps....or you could just run around with them in your hands stark bolly nekkid.  :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Emptying out the pockets helps.

• Like 1

Just some quick info:

In real life, hypothermia can set in amazingly quickly, depending on circumstances. I had a kid in my survival class go from "fine" to "needs to go to a hospital RIGHT THE FUCK NOW" in about 30 minutes. It was during a summer day, so pretty warm, and some light rain kicked in. The kid put on a raincoat, and  he started to sweat. The sweat soaked into his clothing, and proceeded to suck all the heat from his body. 

That, in and of itself, would be a perfectly acceptable way to "balance" raingear, Gorka included.  You would be protected from water, but you would have to balance increasing temperatures. 

Staying warm isn't all that difficult, even in a survival situation. It is staying dry that is the kicker.

Also, hypothermia can kill you extremely quickly, again depending on the circumstances. I personally developed hypothermia over the course of about an hour, setting up for my survival course. It was raining lightly, and I got damp from the rain. I rushed around for a few minutes, setting things up,. and developed hypothermia. Within a few minutes, I went from "ok" to "unable to use hands due to shivering".

Edited by Whyherro123

On 08/01/2017 at 8:15 PM, Xbow said:

After losing a new character that I had managed to get fully geared up to hypothermia I decided to gear up with a Gorka jacket and trousers and see what that would do. Well I have been caught in the rain several times so far and have not even gotten cold or wet. I tend to get hot. so removing your hat and gloves helps to keep you cool. But the way hypothermia works now you are facing conditions that would be congruent to being on mount Everest at night.

The sequence

@you are wet

@you are drenched

@you are cold

@you are shaking

@you have hypothermia

@you are unconscious

@you are dead

Rain coat's, Fierman's Gear and Gorka Gear seem to stave off the "cold + wet = Rapid Death" formula

Good Luck

Note: with ammo and chow being less plentiful than before and the loot holds being guarded by replicating zombies that love gunfire (The dinner bell) I suggest that you get a suppressor, ditch your ax and grab a pitchfork it is IMHO the best melee weapon in the game you get a slash and a thrust (sweet). I exterminated nine zeds in a few minutes in Tisy. If I had been shooting I would have gotten mobbed by twenty of the bastards.    

hank you Xbow, you hit the nail on the head and you make a very good point about Gorka gear and waterproof gear in general to prevent getting wet, this is something I hadn't considered heavily, mainly because I find the Gorka uniforms so hideously ugly, I didn't consider wearing it if I had other military options, which I always have. I also have never checked which clothes are definitively waterproof, just made some assumptions, like leather stuff must be waterproof right?

Zombies I am fine with, being very careful sneaking around and melee kills until you get a suppressor has not been an issue, though yes it is much tougher. I did get killed by an invisible and seemingly immortal zombie a while ago. But that was mainly due to the fact I was sprinting like a mad man whilst getting rained on, to get to a tree to make a fire to survive afore mentioned hypothermia.

To everyone else, yep I know most of what you have suggested about taking off wet clothes/ not wearing them( more difficult when you have a fair amount of gear you're lugging around and caught out), sprinting for many minutes into a wall etc tried all this. Making a fire inside has not been possible since this became an issue, its 'never safe enough' or whatever to start a fire inside.(is that also a new bug?)

I really don't think some you have experienced the severity of getting drenched by rain when not close enough to shelter to take cover in and not having waterpoof gear (now noted!) I have managed to immediately once it says I'm cold/shaking to procede to make a fire in rapid fashion and huddle round it and keep it lit, my clothes dry quick, or just stay damp from the rain, and it even says 'rapidly heating up' a few times but it is always not enough once you've got to red hypothermia, which takes a few minutes. Whyherro123 I know hypothermia can set in real quick in real life in freezing or special conditions like you describe, this I don't deny, but the manner of what I'm talking about it in Dayz is in no way realistic. Along with dying when its been cold  at night or icy, I also have died multiple times during the day on what seems like an ordinary autumn/spring day or whatever the season its meant to be. I was in the army cadets as a teenager, have got drenched stupid from crawling in wet mud/ British rain with all my gear on, come back to camp on a freezing night in the highlands , with nothing to warm you except the shitty stove you get and whatever fire you can make and a sleeping bag and not much more than a waterproof tarpaulin and not died within a few minutes from being drenched initially. Not exactly the same but similarish a comparison.

I also think the main reason is I normally stick to one server and in this server it rains a shit tonne and for hours. Switching servers normally works though I dislike having to do this. Its just the longer I get through a play through I get more confident in my ability to deal with these kinds of things and try to see it out. And this leads to the death of my character. Which is very annoying, as I like PVE and to survive this kind of thing out of my own perseverance but I have not been able to recently. It seems similar to when there was that overheating trouble a while ago where the only solution was to lie in a pond for ages, so hopefully it can be fixed just like that

Anyway thanks for the replies and suggestions. Love this community

Edited by quantumfish
signed me out with only the quote
  • Like 1

I actually still think the cold is underpowered :3 but that's just me LOL. The main problem I have is that the temperature changes are unrealistic atm

For one, people don't drop 2 degrees of body temp every second they stand still and somehow magically maintain body temperature simply by sprinting

If you've tried sprinting in cold weather you would know it gets exhausting and your lungs get cold fast

12 hours ago, quantumfish said:

...on what seems like an ordinary autumn/spring day or whatever the season its meant to be....

Server season follows time of year (when it's set to real time and not specifically set to something else). That's the latest information I gathered about it so if it is indeed so then it's january in chernarus currently. It might be close to 0 celsius occasionally and getting drenched in that kind of temperature and weather would be uncomfortable to say at least. 

EDIT: typos

Edited by Deranged Pineapple

2 hours ago, Deranged Pineapple said:

then it's january in chernarus currently.

We need a winter mod now. Chernarus must be so beautiful under the blanket of snow. Also, long nights, wind howling, this kind of stuff. Also, the weather could be even more severe than it is right now, IMHO.

• Like 1

I keep a raincoat in my backpack at all times. Until I get a Gorka Military jacket of course, That's also a raincoat.

19 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

We need a winter mod now. Chernarus must be so beautiful under the blanket of snow. Also, long nights, wind howling, this kind of stuff. Also, the weather could be even more severe than it is right now, IMHO.

Yes the weather even when it's raining is quite easy at the moment and could be drastically more harsh and unforgivable. Indeed snowy landscapes would be nice with every other winter properties you mentioned.