CardinalSins

from fun to pretty much unplayable

8 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

That's a good attitude to have.

Avoid cities if you can. Avoid the coast, really. Lots of zombies, low concentration of loot. You're better off heading inland almost straight away. It's worth having a quick butchers through a few houses if you spawn near them, but if you're consistently finding nothing of value, move on. If you're finding useful items, keep looting.

Make a stone knife as soon as possible. Tear up any spare clothing you find. The best way to get yourself killed early on is bleeding to death because you ran out of bandages. Until you have a steady supply of bandages (at least 3, I'd say) avoid approaching or fighting zombies. If you can find a long wooden stick, that's actually a pretty decent weapon for dealing with lone zombies.

If all else fails, just run away from zombies or lock yourself in a house. If they can't see you they lose interest, and then you can sneak away. Sneaking is easier at night, so if you happen to spawn in the dark then you might have an easier time avoiding zombies.

1. The best way to get yourself killed early on is bleeding to death because you ran out of bandages

Exactly, Exp testing explained this early on. You need to pickup those extra shirts, and start making rags asap. Do not have any less then 6 rags on you at a time. You will most likely forget and get low on supplies.

If i showed you a video I did not take yesterday, you would have laughed at me for being stupid. 1. I shot one infected with a shotgun, 2. I had about 20 + infected chase me down, 3. I had to outrun them bleeding to death, with approx 10 remaining on me full tilt running. and 4. I died.

I could not turn, kite or aim fast enough before getting hit. I could not hit the tree line up to lose them inside the trees. It was open field, and i was bleeding badly.

I know how to play this game, but there is always that dum stupid move you make and end up unconscious.

2. The bow was  increased in damaged, so make some arrows and grab some feathers and start plucking those infected off one by one, it doesn't attract others.

Good suggestions beef

If die to infected, i recommend you avoid them at all costs. I just was decked out with 1 .22 rifle, full scoped, fully geared with firefighters jacket, good boots, homemade backpack, protector case, 1 1911 w/clip, 1 mac w/3 clips, and a ton of random ammo i found all going from electro to kemy due west.

I personally never seen so many guns in my life on .61, other then .60 but ammo is very rare.

I was the only one on the server, pegging off infected by infected. So i took one shot in town, and then 2 infected rushed me, i turned to fire and they flew 20 feet with 1000 fists and i went down in 1 hit.

That shock damage is a tad unrealistic, i had full health and blood. I can relate to where the OP is going with this, it is a tad rough to survive in any infected areas.

But i know where the game is going, and i know once the hypo, hyper, all the survival gear will be available, and the infected sorted out. We will be able to 1 respond faster with the character hopefully, and 2 fight the infected correctly.

I don't mind super powerful infected, but i do not like the fact i cant defend without running off 3 miles to find trees.

If we keep this kind of hardcore infected response just tweaked to be correct and not 1000 fists flying at you... frigging hacks... Mr. Hicks stop hacking =D

i think we will have a good solid hardcore infected pvp, pve game play. Then when modding comes around it will be cool

Good luck, i am going back to experimental where my death means something :)

Most of all get a silencer weapon, both of mine where decked out, but i grabbed a repeater.

Personally, it means most hunting rifles will be useless. Even though we love them to pieces, but your better off with a gun 1/ siliencers

Edited by sneakydude
  • Like 1

Over a year ago I was really active in the stand-alone, as well as on the forums. I pretty much fancied myself sort of a solo/group survivalist player. Did I pvp yes, but often I only got into fights I knew I was likely to win. So say games like GTA online, pvping is much more wreck-less. Really who cares, you die its just a notch off the kill death ratio, no biggy...In DayZ I always treated it more like it was a real life sim, so ultimately my goal was to walk away leave the other guy spawning back at the coast. So I used caution all the time, and so did many players who took a little serous. That was the difference between players who took it serous and the instant gradification players I played with, many only stayed alive a couple days maybe. Sometimes I kept avatars alive entire patchs til their was chr wipes. Many would give me crap about lol cause I never would run into death traps. They would say why bother, there is no real survival mechanics that make it challenging. Then 5 minutes later they would be winning of vent about how they lost all there stuff and then proceed to blame hackers.......aww the good ole days haha

Also over a year ago though many would come here to the forums and say this was not a survival game yet, and it was really limited in that regard. Many would complain about it and say it was too easy and the real players were the pvp die-hards. People who tried to survive a while, well were considered kind of wimpy.

WELL here we are, here is your survival game!  Dam wolves, zombies that are way more believable, no food, cold as hell out! come on! Yeah probably have to pick some apples or hunt and animal...to live....I think its kind of cool, a breath of new life in this game. That's half the fun dieing and learning from it....making a plan as a new spawn.....the adventure....really having to think....

Hey if it makes you feel any better I returned after a year and got my ass handed to me haha

Gamer's are so funny....never happy haha

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

That's a good attitude to have.

Avoid cities if you can. Avoid the coast, really. Lots of zombies, low concentration of loot. You're better off heading inland almost straight away. It's worth having a quick butchers through a few houses if you spawn near them, but if you're consistently finding nothing of value, move on. If you're finding useful items, keep looting.

Make a stone knife as soon as possible. Tear up any spare clothing you find. The best way to get yourself killed early on is bleeding to death because you ran out of bandages. Until you have a steady supply of bandages (at least 3, I'd say) avoid approaching or fighting zombies. If you can find a long wooden stick, that's actually a pretty decent weapon for dealing with lone zombies.

If all else fails, just run away from zombies or lock yourself in a house. If they can't see you they lose interest, and then you can sneak away. Sneaking is easier at night, so if you happen to spawn in the dark then you might have an easier time avoiding zombies.

Seriously, the wooden stick has got to be one of the best hand-to-hand weapons in the game right now, which is fucking hilarious.

If you have a knife, you can get a stick. And, best yet, if you have to toss it away, who cares! Go get another one!.

I honestly don't see why zombies are a problem. Yeah, the hit detection is wonky at times, and lately they seem to have a habbit of aggroing back and forth between players in a weird and random way. They aren't a real threat in any way however besides alerting your position to other players. Either you shoot them and risk alerting more (if you got the ammo to spare) or just run from them and lock them inside buildings. Zombies should be the least of your concerns, so I guess they aren't the real issue here, it's probably you or how you deal with them.

Edited by anderswhk

I suggest you just keep playing, even if it means you will die a lot. DayZ has a learning curve which is at the moment bigger than ever and will probably get bigger as development progresses. The learning curve is the most fun to be honest. Learning the map, learning to survive, etc. As soon as you know all these things the game is still fun but can get stale sometimes.

The best way to learn how to survive is to play with someone who will show you the ropes which I wouldn't mind doing. There is also the wiki, maps and of course the forums and/or Reddit. But the most fun of all is learning it yourself which might involve dying a lot. Each mistake will teach you to avoid to make that mistake in the future.

But keep in mind, the most fun way is to figure it out on your own. If you need tips, help or like to play with me or someone who knows how to survive just let us know.

Edited by IMT

1 hour ago, IMT said:

I suggest you just keep playing, even if it means you will die a lot. DayZ has a learning curve which is at the moment bigger than ever and will probably get bigger as development progresses. The learning curve is the most fun to be honest. Learning the map, learning to survive, etc. As soon as you know all these things the game is still fun but can get stale sometimes.

The best way to learn how to survive is to play with someone who will show you the ropes which I wouldn't mind doing. There is also the wiki, maps and of course the forums and/or Reddit. But the most fun of all is learning it yourself which might involve dying a lot. Each mistake will teach you to avoid to make that mistake in the future.

But keep in mind, the most fun way is to figure it out on your own. If you need tips, help or like to play with me or someone who knows how to survive just let us know.

I died 7 times yesterday.... 7 TIMES!! no lies. Kept getting 1 shotted.

but then again i was not about to run away either....

I ran from electro to kem, died there too.

i ran from the far east to myskino died there too.

not counting all the deaths in between.

Never ever fire a shot without a silencer in the tents at myskino... holly hell 30+ after i killed 10 of them came rushing in, and by the time i thought i was free??? i was pulled back in.

I think people get mislead by the term "zombie" that gets thrown around these forums and not realize that they are infected people, not dead people.  People seem to want to treat them like it's the walking dead and be able to carve a path through mobs of them.  Not to mention some players don't even realize that there is more to DayZ than just running to a military base to get geared up for pvp.  

On 8/01/2017 at 7:21 AM, Kirov (DayZ) said:

No, you die shortly after you spawn. Seems that you're just learning how to navigate the game - make a stone knife, know when to avoid/engage zeds, create craftable items, know the map and know where to explore, etc. It's okay to be new to the game and it's very satisfying to learn all the ropes.

I so much hope that we'll get more threads like this. It's a sign of good progress, devs!

"Make a stone knife"? I thought when Hicks took over it was supposed to be a ultra-realistic survival sim with Z's begrudgingly thrown to keep people still playing? Does anyone know how difficult it would be to "craft" a stone knife in RL? Knapping a flint blade takes years of experience.

1 hour ago, Jonahhobbes23 said:

"Make a stone knife"? I thought when Hicks took over it was supposed to be a ultra-realistic survival sim with Z's begrudgingly thrown to keep people still playing? Does anyone know how difficult it would be to "craft" a stone knife in RL? Knapping a flint blade takes years of experience.

Smashing stones randomly until one of them has a sharp-ish edge takes about two minutes. Don't forget to wear eye protection...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonahhobbes23 said:

" Does anyone know how difficult it would be to "craft" a stone knife in RL? Knapping a flint blade takes years of experience.

According to a study by Scientific American, it takes ~100hours of practice to craft anything remotely useful and some 200hours of total practice to be able to say that you can craft stone knives. A stretch of imagination, sure, if your toon already couldn't handle literally any weapon, prepare fish, repair/operate cars/helis (soon), etc. And of course he's a field surgeon, why wouldn't he be?

But when it comes to crafting - the more 'realism', the less craftable items, the relation is largely proportional here. I love the boar backpack and I just try not to think how you make one out of a boar pelt, a rope and three sticks.

The reality this game is not everyone's cup of tea lets face it. When you got games like GTA online, elite dangerous out there, ect ect....might get a little in patient and decide you know I just don't have time for it right now....I just want instant grad. It's a simulator, with zombies.

I like playing flight simulators too, learning how to fly airplanes in a virtual setting. Prepare 3D....Let me tell you it is time consuming...so allot of the time I simply dont have time for it. Its a huge time suck. Same with DayZ, you can spend hours roaming the map picking up gear, then just get shot.....done! If your solo, that gear is likely to be just gone. No awards, no steam bags, nothing. So Yeah I get why some people its not always everyone's cup of tea. Really the point of it is kind of real life problem solving skills in a sim setting right?

One thing I would advise, If one is serous and wants to make a serous attempt at playing. Is to read the wiki, check out dayz tv and read thru patch notes...It can save you allot of head ache. There are streamers out there that really do a good job explaining things. That's what I did returning.

Edited by CJFlint

Ah yes flightsims. They teach you patience from day 1. Prepare 3D, nice. I am more a FalconBMS [and Airbook for work related matters] guy. ;-)
As to DayZ, no game comes close, so take it as it is. Oh and remember .... it's an alpha development. So not even a game.  ;-)

4 hours ago, Jonahhobbes23 said:

There is a difference between "knapping and pressure-flaking a bifaced knife from a nice piece of flint" and "smashing two rocks together until you get a kinda-sharp edge".

The latter is what we do in-game. As someone who dabbles in stoneworking and is practiced in bushcraft ..... I have zero problems with it. When the mechanic first came out, I went out to my backyard and tried to replicate it. Within 5 minutes, I had a flake of stone that would cut sticks, tear cloth and so on and so forth.

Pick a better hill to die on, bud.

2 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

According to a study by Scientific American, it takes ~100hours of practice to craft anything remotely useful and some 200hours of total practice to be able to say that you can craft stone knives. A stretch of imagination, sure, if your toon already couldn't handle literally any weapon, prepare fish, repair/operate cars/helis (soon), etc. And of course he's a field surgeon, why wouldn't he be?

But when it comes to crafting - the more 'realism', the less craftable items, the relation is largely proportional here. I love the boar backpack and I just try not to think how you make one out of a boar pelt, a rope and three sticks.

I've made a backpack in real life out of three sticks, some twine and some leftover canvas. I could make it work fine with rawhide.

• Like 1

wow.  I appreciate all the feedback.  I haven't read it all yet and the basic point that I need to do some relearning is well taken.  IT seems they've gone in a new direction.  Before the game was sort of a blend between a running simulator and a scavenger hunt.  Now they're reorienting towards crafting stuff.  For instance: I had no clue about the stone knife.  That would have made a difference.

I already figured out hunting for apple trees.  That kept one of my lives going for an hour or two.  I think I was killed because of an infection.  I discovered that I could stop bleeding using a sewing kit, but soon after sewing myself up it said I was sick and then that progressed to being unconsciousness before I could find antibiotics.  

I'll keep playing, but I'll spend some time reading up on what others have discovered first.

Again: thanks for the feedback. 

Edited by CardinalSins
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2017 at 6:22 PM, CardinalSins said:

wow.  I appreciate all the feedback.  I haven't read it all yet and the basic point that I need to do some relearning is well taken.  IT seems they've gone in a new direction.  Before the game was sort of a blend between a running simulator and a scavenger hunt.  Now they're reorienting towards crafting stuff.  For instance: I had no clue about the stone knife.  That would have made a difference.

I already figured out hunting for apple trees.  That kept one of my lives going for an hour or two.  I think I was killed because of an infection.  I discovered that I could stop bleeding using a sewing kit, but soon after sewing myself up it said I was sick and then that progressed to being unconsciousness before I could find antibiotics.  

I'll keep playing, but I'll spend some time reading up on what others have discovered first.

Again: thanks for the feedback. 

Have a peeksie into some of the fun people get themselves into.

A group i follow, good people, lots of friends and i have NO problems pvping with or against them.

Here is another group i follow, and help try to test in Exp.

I have no problems joining in, on TS events, and just tag along. Good people and good friends.

Read the last pages, videos etc.. this is what people do to make the game better, and become more socialized.

My effort here isn't to promote them, in any way but to let you be aware we are the end game, we make the event, the outcome to what we want it to be like.

If we say end game is gearing up, by all means boring!!! there has to be more. WE have no end boss mobs to kill, we have nobody but ourselves and the environment to kill off.

So if we decide to make it PVP, i would like to design my server around 4-5 clans all trying to dominate a central control point in the map, each will have quadrants to control, and the key to the event is to hold the central point for any given length of time.

Being much like the walking dead tv series. Outposts are made, communities are started, and randoms have the option to pick fights with bigger factions that control an area. The only way to lose the area, is if a war breaks out, event times are picked and both or more then 1 faction wars it out on a compound the defending faction holds. The goal is to kill everyone, and blow up the central base.

Doing so will require major effort, and resources to control more then 1 territory.

This is my end game... i hope to make it work.

On 7/1/2017 at 6:01 PM, CardinalSins said:

not really looking for PVP.  Early on it was fun just exploring the island, finding stuff, generally avoiding zombies and avoiding other players.  That's pretty much out the window.  You can't explore because you die almost as soon as you spawn.

After doing the initial post I went ahead and played again.  I set a 20 minute timer.  First spawn (a strong independent black woman) managed to find water but was then ambushed by zombies.  The first zombie was killed but she was bleeding.  Fixed that and then the next zombie arrived and was killed but she was bleeding again.  no knife or anything to make rags with so off to find something to make rags or to stich up with and here comes the next zombie and dead.  Respawn, 12 minutes remaining on the timer.  New we have a cross dressing dude.  Apple trees everywhere!  find 3 apples - we're in good shape!  sneak in to a house, ambushed by zombie.  kill zombie, bandage up.  leave house attacked by zombie.  kill zombie but now I'm bleeding again.  off to find something.  Find leather sewing kit and stich self up but now I'm sick.  eat more apples.  wounds are infected.  searching for antibiotics or something to cure myself with...unconscious.  actually lasted a whole 20 minutes with that one.

If it wasn't freezing outside I wouldn't have wasted the time.

I do like that they have improved the combat so that you can kill the zombies without having to have fire axe or gun.  that's undeniably better.  But the absence of any findable loot moves the game beyond what I'm willing to invest in.  As I said: I'll find something else and check back in a few weeks (I really do like this game and its gone through phases like this in the past) to see if they've improved things.

With that you proved you need to learn some basics of the game. Knifes are basically infinite. So are apples. And with that this game becames eaaaaaaaaaasy mode. I never died of anything else than another humans for the last 2 years.

54 minutes ago, p4triot said:

I never died of anything else than another humans for the last 2 years.

Not even from wolves, hypothermia (especially on exp 0.61 with bugged fireplaces and higher freezing timer) ? zombie instakill (happens on very old character with low bone stat) ? fall from roof/stairs ?

1 hour ago, Zboub le meteor said:

Not even from wolves, hypothermia (especially on exp 0.61 with bugged fireplaces and higher freezing timer) ? zombie instakill (happens on very old character with low bone stat) ? fall from roof/stairs ?

Wolves, nope, though I have always had gun and ammo when I do encounter them. 

Hypothermia, 2-3? but as a fresh spawn in a storm when the patch first dropped.  Rain seems to be rare now.

Never been zombie instakilled or killed by a zombie in recent memory. 

Glitch fall a few times, but very rare nowadays.

Once you have acquired a stone knife and a stick, there is little reason to die from zombies or the elements(you practically spawn with them too).  Usually find enough cloth for a bow or a bag in 10-20 houses.

On 23-1-2017 at 8:51 PM, Zboub le meteor said:

What I try to do is avoid area's with wolf spawns unless I have a proper gun. Of course that doesn't guarantee you'll live. I died to a pack once with a SVD because somehow while trying to reload I lost either my SVD or the mag, then you're screwed!

On 23-1-2017 at 10:08 PM, funyun said:

Wolves, nope, though I have always had gun and ammo when I do encounter them. 

Hypothermia, 2-3? but as a fresh spawn in a storm when the patch first dropped.  Rain seems to be rare now.

Never been zombie instakilled or killed by a zombie in recent memory. 

Glitch fall a few times, but very rare nowadays.

Once you have acquired a stone knife and a stick, there is little reason to die from zombies or the elements(you practically spawn with them too).  Usually find enough cloth for a bow or a bag in 10-20 houses.

Seems you need to git gud. Spawned in yesterday as a freshie and not long after it started raining on and off. The character is still alive, light green energized, light green hydrated and healthy. Mind you, I didn't have a raincoat during all the rain. I eventually found a Firefighter jacket but by then the rain stopped.

Speaking of wolves, i was attacked a second right after i heard the howling. Then i turned around and sure enough had 2 wolves leap for me.

I dropped my tent (begging it wasn't lost) and went to the mp5, shot at 3 right away, and the attacks got worse, chewed me up big time.

I went finally through 3 30/30 mp5 mags with 30 bullets left, and counted a whopping 5 wolves dead and i swear 2-3 more ran off.

That was one brutal fight, in the end had a hurt leg, shoes and i think pants damaged.

Whooooo! i lived.

On 23/1/2017 at 8:51 PM, Zboub le meteor said:

Hypothermia almost got me killed once when I first played 0.61. So did again when they broke the chimmey thing and I had a few minutes of panic until I found out a place I could make a fire when raining, but those didnt kill me the first time and after that I've learned so it has never been a problem any more. Also, Wolves are not dangerous if you play with friends (which I always do). And instakill from zombie? w0t? I see people here complaining about insta-unconsciousness from zombies but that actually never happened to me, much less insta-kill.

Falling from roof/stairs was (and is) a problem. But i've learned to control my retarded character to avoid him commiting suicide so it didn't happened to me for the last 2 years. However I have to say I'm still in fear everytime Im on hospital's roof. Odds are next non-human thing to kill me its that. But that's not difficulty of the "game", that's difficulty of the engine badly programmed mechanics, and I assume it's going to be fixed in the future.

On 20.1.2017 at 0:22 AM, CardinalSins said:

Good choice. You can make it.

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/DayZ_Standalone_Wiki

http://www.dayztv.com/

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/DayZ

^^some usefull links.

This thread is basically existing players boasting about their success in the game whilst insisting that anyone considering playing / returning after absence (me) needs to commit to hours of research and/or private tutoring.

I understand all games have a learning curve but this is putting off new players from joining and slowly putting previous players off from coming back.

FYI all the 'how to play' guides in the beginners section are about 3 years out of date. Until the developers invest in one universal regularly updated online game manual, they can wave goodbye to any significant increases in player numbers and a sizeable community.

The game currently consists of people learning how to play the game over great lengths of time (see Mookie's 5000 hours), before getting bored with the lack of progression.

The game relies on players dying after collecting enough stash, so that they have to repeat the process again.

• Like 1