CardinalSins

from fun to pretty much unplayable

It's been fun watching DayZ grow but in my opinion this latest direction isn't for me.  Before the game was fun and provided a nice escape.  Now: might as well stay in the real world at least I can win here.

I'm basically starving to death or being killed by zombies inside the first 10 minutes of play.  Might as well go play COD or something else.

I'll check back in a month or two and see if things improve.

If you are looking for a game where you can just PVP. DayZ is not that game. 

Edited by OliverPlotTwist
  • Like 1

not really looking for PVP.  Early on it was fun just exploring the island, finding stuff, generally avoiding zombies and avoiding other players.  That's pretty much out the window.  You can't explore because you die almost as soon as you spawn.

After doing the initial post I went ahead and played again.  I set a 20 minute timer.  First spawn (a strong independent black woman) managed to find water but was then ambushed by zombies.  The first zombie was killed but she was bleeding.  Fixed that and then the next zombie arrived and was killed but she was bleeding again.  no knife or anything to make rags with so off to find something to make rags or to stich up with and here comes the next zombie and dead.  Respawn, 12 minutes remaining on the timer.  New we have a cross dressing dude.  Apple trees everywhere!  find 3 apples - we're in good shape!  sneak in to a house, ambushed by zombie.  kill zombie, bandage up.  leave house attacked by zombie.  kill zombie but now I'm bleeding again.  off to find something.  Find leather sewing kit and stich self up but now I'm sick.  eat more apples.  wounds are infected.  searching for antibiotics or something to cure myself with...unconscious.  actually lasted a whole 20 minutes with that one.

If it wasn't freezing outside I wouldn't have wasted the time.

I do like that they have improved the combat so that you can kill the zombies without having to have fire axe or gun.  that's undeniably better.  But the absence of any findable loot moves the game beyond what I'm willing to invest in.  As I said: I'll find something else and check back in a few weeks (I really do like this game and its gone through phases like this in the past) to see if they've improved things.

The newest patch increased the Infected's perception by quite a lot, as if you were fighting other players who could hear and see just as good as we can. It's quite a surprise, but I don't necessarily think things are going to get easier from here, even if they do scale down their visual and audio perception.

Just think, there's going to be more predators and the Infected will be able to bash down doors. I foresee a lot of us being screwed haha

• Like 2

It would be interesting to hear how you play the game since what you are describing is not exactly what I'm experiencing.

Example: Y-day I spawned outside of Solnichy. I picked up a stone knife and stick and ran south. By the time I got to Kamy I had found some food and my first gun, a chambered p1. In elektro there was shooting so i kept to the outskirts but found burlap so i made a backpack. I also found a shotgun there and later a chambered scoped sporter. I continued on south finding  some better clothes and outside Cherno a waterproof backpack. I went into cherno and found a 1911 with mag and some bullets, an sks and more food. I fell in the water and had to make a fireto get dry. I continued towards balota and found a tent in the woods next to the airstrip and picked up a blaze and some ammo for it and swapped out the 1911 for a cr with mag and silencer. At Balota someone moved outside the hangars while I was there but never attacked me. I found a corpse in a house outside but no good loot.  Continued on to pavlovo mil base where I found some military clothes and boots and a few bullets for the SKS. Unfortunately I got cornered by some zeds and had to run to the roof. Now I'm down to 4 blaze rounds and a stick :/  Ready to go again tonight.

Edited by Killawife
  • Like 6

48 minutes ago, CardinalSins said:

no knife or anything to make rags with

find the gravel texture on the ground, search for stones, find one after some time, craft stone knife problem solved. and it only takes on slot, so it's better than normal knife for most purposes anyways.

if you get to know the map a bit and move away from the eastern coast (southeren coast should be fine)  you should have little to no problems surviving environmental hazards. i last time i died to anything but players was at least 100h of playing ago.

Edited by HaseDesTodes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CardinalSins said:

You can't explore because you die almost as soon as you spawn

No, you die shortly after you spawn. Seems that you're just learning how to navigate the game - make a stone knife, know when to avoid/engage zeds, create craftable items, know the map and know where to explore, etc. It's okay to be new to the game and it's very satisfying to learn all the ropes.

I so much hope that we'll get more threads like this. It's a sign of good progress, devs!

• Like 5

Oh comeone mate, just stack up on rags and you're good to go. Zeds are easy. However, wolves are the problem. They are faster than you.

I can't remember the last time I died of starvation or thirst. Its pretty straight forward to stay healthy, just immediately get away from the coast, find a small village and plunder til you can carry no more. And as for zombies, plan a route around them and crouch run, they won't see you most of the time and if they do, either outrun them and lose them or just lock them in somewhere if you don't have a decent melee weapon. Personally I think the zombies need to get a lot more numerous and be a bit more alert, then we might see a bit more tactical gameplay rather than idiots just sprinting from house to house trying to get all their gear within 30 seconds of spawning. The more difficult it becomes the better the game will be.

It seems only a matter of game mechanics knowledge. Don't give up, you'll find your fun soon

• Like 1

This is a classic case of Git Guud.

DayZ, as you have known and played it before, was just a hollow shell of what it was to eventually become.  Survival was easy, so easy in fact, as to have been totally ignored by a large majority of players.

I know a few predominantly PvP players who were glad to have me around this patch, for all the survival skills and general game mechanics knowledge that I have accumulated by trying to do everything as it available in the game, no matter how mundane.  They can still shoot people just as well as ever, which is okay for me too, I guess.

Now people don't really mind that I am always asking for gas cookstoves, and breaking the tactical silence to stock up on fresh meat.

It is not going to get any easier as the game progresses.  So you might want to consider finding a new game to play, or a willing mentor who has experience in more things than ADS.

• Like 5

Why dont you all jump on him like he was some kind of meal.

Telling him he dont belong in a game he paid for scares the average player away from posting his experiences here.

And it is not your job to protect the developers from hearing anyone else's truth but your own.

Steam Charts

• Like 1

On 1/8/2017 at 5:55 PM, emuthreat said:

This is a classic case of Git Guud.

DayZ, as you have known and played it before, was just a hollow shell of what it was to eventually become.  Survival was easy, so easy in fact, as to have been totally ignored by a large majority of players.

I know a few predominantly PvP players who were glad to have me around this patch, for all the survival skills and general game mechanics knowledge that I have accumulated by trying to do everything as it available in the game, no matter how mundane.  They can still shoot people just as well as ever, which is okay for me too, I guess.

Now people don't really mind that I am always asking for gas cookstoves, and breaking the tactical silence to stock up on fresh meat.

It is not going to get any easier as the game progresses.  So you might want to consider finding a new game to play, or a willing mentor who has experience in more things than ADS.

I tried the Long Dark, and i died within 1 day, 23 hours of game play. I froze to death. I still want to git guud, though.

I have never died after minutes of dayz game play, unless someone attacks me while being nekkid. Infected might be knocking him out?

On 1/7/2017 at 11:14 AM, CardinalSins said:

It's been fun watching DayZ grow but in my opinion this latest direction isn't for me.  Before the game was fun and provided a nice escape.  Now: might as well stay in the real world at least I can win here.

I'm basically starving to death or being killed by zombies inside the first 10 minutes of play.  Might as well go play COD or something else.

You SA only players had it easy...too easy. I predicted that players like yourself would weed themselves out once infected got harder to deal with.

Eventually its going to work like this...no more running into a town to get geared care-free. In the mod if you did that, you were doomed to die. That's how it should be. More tactics need to be implemented to get geared up instead of running around like a kid in Disneyland.

Oo yea...apples apples apples. Never any reason to die from starvation.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Like 1

I do not understand people who say they can die of zombies in a zombie apocalypse. Which is almost the same as being shot in Battlefield. Simply incomprehensible ..... that is terrible.

Wow, 10 minutes. That's quite an achievement. If was I was that bad at this game I wouldn't be advertising it. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist, but seriously, team up with somebody who can show you how to survive. I did, I was a toal noob when I started this game.

• Like 2

Seems like you're kind of new and you should find some experienced people to play with, and it's more fun that way. I've taken new players under my wing many times and before they played with me and my friends they hated the game, shit i hated the game when i first bought it back in .54 

You need to find a stone knife like the people above mentioned to cut up rags if zombies are giving you that much of a problem. I know i have a lot of experience in the game, but zombies aren't really much of a problem STILL in this games current state. Zombies are only a real problem when you are getting into a gun fight then they come swarming you from all directions, but that's good, it's a zombie game. I lock zombies in houses when they chase me, or hit them with an axe or my fist, they are weak.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skadefr0en said:

Telling him he dont belong in a game he paid for scares the average player away from posting his experiences here.

If he'd said: "Guys, I die all the time, what gives", he would have actually gotten a heap of good advice, after being moved to the 'new player' section, of course.

But when a noob comes here and tells me that I die after 20 minutes, facepalm is the only thing he's going to see.

And I guess what pissed people off was that 'I'm going to back in a few weeks to check if you improved'. I'm stil puzzled why DayZ attracts so unusually huge numbers of self-entitled ass-hats.

I can't believe people are still using the word entitled as if it hasn't lost all meaning by this point. This community is straight toxic.

32 minutes ago, scriptfactory said:

I can't believe people are still using the word entitled as if it hasn't lost all meaning by this point. This community is straight toxic.

Me neither.  At this point it is just a matter of getting the core audience and new players to learn to grow with the game, as it is now quickly approaching a more complete form.

10 hours ago, Skadefr0en said:

And it is not your job to protect the developers from hearing anyone else's truth but your own.

Steam Charts

I wasn't trying to be dismissive or tell OP not to play, but if OP is having that much trouble with the basics of just getting stabilized and safely off the coast, then OP either needs help, or a lot of hard learning; based on the content of the OP, hard learning seems to not be the first choice.

My first two weeks of play involved lots of frustrating deaths, from getting beaten down trying to punch out the first zed I saw, to falling from double red barn stairs and dying, to losing a 9 FPS axe fight to the first person I saw, to falling off a short platform and having to crawl into town to find a zed to finally put me out of my misery.

I Got Guud.  Even then, I still froze to death a time or two on this Experimental cycle, and still occasionally lose gunfights.  I even got killed by wolves twice; once by running out of Dubrovka to the west, completely unprepared; and once at Black mountain castle because I foolishly engaged them in the bowl at the castle entrance with an AKM w/drum.

Who cares if the player base wavers during EA?  There are still plenty enough players to find a good time, and new systems and features are coming along in a timely manner for the time being.

If people have bad experiences and don't have the time to educate themselves on a constantly changing game still heavily under development, then that is their own problem.  I'm sorry to say it, but people have to take responsibility for their own decisions and education.
If anything is to blame, it is the massive amounts of content creators that glorify certain aspects of this game, while avoiding any mention of the pitfalls. The crappy bug ridden experiences don't get nearly as much exposure as the epic wins.
New players often don't know what to expect.  And the same goes for PvP centric players who only play each patch as far as the ability to run disposable toons for quick firefights will allow.  Sometimes changes to the game interrupt their established habits and they reject it with vitriol.  What is to be done about this; stop development???

• Like 5

Here is my best advise to the OP, grab a stick... grab a stone knife, make a bow and arrow volly, and go practice in .61

Kite, and use the bow.

or just shoot them with a shotgun like i did today and have 20+ infected all rush me down for a complete

PUNCHOUT! effect..... oh ya i died, couldn't stop them from gang banging me.

But i still didn't die in 20 minutes.

The developers have done the right thing. The infected ones are gorgeous, real sneak, cautious, and you can smell their breath without noticing them. Dayz goes away from CoD ... behave like a real assasin and you will win or run as before and you will die. I love it.

9 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Eventually its going to work like this...no more running into a town to get geared care-free. In the mod if you did that, you were doomed to die.

Doomed to die... or just hide in the nearest tree and lose the aggro! 

• Like 2

On 07/01/2017 at 4:14 PM, CardinalSins said:

That's a good attitude to have.

Avoid cities if you can. Avoid the coast, really. Lots of zombies, low concentration of loot. You're better off heading inland almost straight away. It's worth having a quick butchers through a few houses if you spawn near them, but if you're consistently finding nothing of value, move on. If you're finding useful items, keep looting.

Make a stone knife as soon as possible. Tear up any spare clothing you find. The best way to get yourself killed early on is bleeding to death because you ran out of bandages. Until you have a steady supply of bandages (at least 3, I'd say) avoid approaching or fighting zombies. If you can find a long wooden stick, that's actually a pretty decent weapon for dealing with lone zombies.

If all else fails, just run away from zombies or lock yourself in a house. If they can't see you they lose interest, and then you can sneak away. Sneaking is easier at night, so if you happen to spawn in the dark then you might have an easier time avoiding zombies.