Sign in to follow this  
icrush

Itens with highlight/border when very close

Sometimes it is very annoying when you lose something around an area and can't find it no matter what. Just imagine in real life if something like this really happens. If your`re actively walking around looking on the floor, grass, shelves and etc for something we almost always notice it.  

What do you guys think about an iten highlight when the player character is really close?

It could show only if holding certain key for example (maybe ALT? since we already use it to look around), so it kinda of simulates the focusing and attention to the close surroundings. Or it could be always active.

And it doesn't and shoudnt be a strong border but just a opaque line that can go unoticied too if you sprint by it. I don`t think it would be exploitable.

Here is an concept image i made with a print a found on the web. I tought it could use an really tiny range (white circles), and an border that isn`t very hard, so it can go unnoticied even if you walk by something.

2ZxogmL.jpg

Also, lets not forget the new grass that is coming. it is going to make things even harder.  

9DLTpU4.jpg

Edited by icrush

Some more concept images.qDUIsac.jpgiLgNzpQ.jpgsYnwjVu.jpg

Edited by icrush

don´t drop your shit in gras...problem fixed

use an backpack or clothes for that

no need to make it arcadish

1 hour ago, wasnu said:

What makes it so arcadish? Since the textures and graphics are far from realistic theres need to be somekind of mechanism that simulates the action of looking around. 

I'm not talking about flashing lights showing where the itens are but a punctual key activated surroundings check.

On 1/6/2017 at 2:29 PM, wasnu said:

The point isn't to complain about how you lose items in the grass

It's a good idea imo, I don't think it's arcadish.  It's still minimal UI.  This is a video game and it's pixels that we're looking at, it'd be nice to have little things that simulate to make it more relate-able to real life. 

On 1/7/2017 at 7:29 AM, wasnu said:

Though i do sorta agree it just isn't viable when you need to give someone something really quickly ie bandages.

If they add a direct exchange method like holding out an item and letting the other player take it directly then that'll be great.

Otherwise this is really good.