Sign in to follow this  
CJFlint

Returning player after 1 year

Hello,

Been gone a while, checked on a few patches but I think .61 really caught my eye. I played the crap out of dayz a year ago, ran solo, clans and decided to leave it alone a while and see just give it some time to be developed further. Part of it was I was simply burned out haha after playing for some 600 hours. What was there left to do? So i played other games for a while, elite dangerous, GTA ect ect 

I spent a few hours playing .61. build..................I like it! I like the new loot count. I think I only found 2 cans of food. The rest I had to get off the land. Much more of a realistic survival exp. This I def give a thumbs up! All my time running solo a year ago I kind of hoped for a day with in the game. Also the zombies I think have come a long way. There appear to be much more of them, they seem more organic with in the game. Not just running after the instant you near them, if one uses stealth they can be avoided. Kind of something that was totally missing before. Technology wise I improved my cards to 970 slis...and 5.1 head phones, which make for a much more realistic game play, vary enjoyable. So that plus the improvements to the engine makes for a much better game play exp. Also really like the gritty improvements to the city's and map itself. So yes there was a zombie apoc in a eastern euro hell hole and no this is not just arma 2 with zombies. I am really glad to see much progress! I think my interest has been re-sparked. 

So what is weather advisorys? I keep seeing that pop up on server mes? is that something new? 

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, CJFlint said:

Hello,

Been gone a while, checked on a few patches but I think .61 really caught my eye. I played the crap out of dayz a year ago, ran solo, clans and decided to leave it alone a while and see just give it some time to be developed further. Part of it was I was simply burned out haha after playing for some 600 hours. What was there left to do? So i played other games for a while, elite dangerous, GTA ect ect 

I spent a few hours playing .61. build..................I like it! I like the new loot count. I think I only found 2 cans of food. The rest I had to get off the land. Much more of a realistic survival exp. This I def give a thumbs up! All my time running solo a year ago I kind of hoped for a day with in the game. Also the zombies I think have come a long way. There appear to be much more of them, they seem more organic with in the game. Not just running after the instant you near them, if one uses stealth they can be avoided. Kind of something that was totally missing before. Technology wise I improved my cards to 970 slis...and 5.1 head phones, which make for a much more realistic game play, vary enjoyable. So that plus the improvements to the engine makes for a much better game play exp. Also really like the gritty improvements to the city's and map itself. So yes there was a zombie apoc in a eastern euro hell hole and no this is not just arma 2 with zombies. I am really glad to see much progress! I think my interest has been re-sparked. 

So what is weather advisorys? I keep seeing that pop up on server mes? is that something new? 

Glad you're back man, yeah DayZ is really getting into the time now where all the major systems are being introduced and we're seeing huge changes in how the game works and plays (for the better). Now I think the "weather warning" you're referring to is the fact that you can't start fires properly in some buildings in the current stable version of .61, and getting wet/rain is really dangerous now as you get hypothermia quickly when drenched. So It's basically just a heads up :) (This is my guess on what that is because I don't have server messages on my self for immersion)

Was kind of wondering if it met, like beware there is a weather system coming. Yeah it really does seem like it is coming together finally. 

I found the hot and cold mechanics with respect to the avatar to be much more balanced now. I remember a year ago it was like either there was no effect, or it was really over done. 

I think right now I am going to explore the map, check out all the new sights. Hopefully I don't eaten by wolves haha.

• Like 1

This is the post that the server message keeps spamming.

People were having trouble understanding that any tree will do just fine for lighting a fire in the rain, so Hicks was nice enough to provide some screenshots of some buildings that you can light a fire inside.  Most household fireplaces are bugged, ATM.

Welcome back, and remember to avoid the western and northern edges of the map, as well as the areas from  around altar and to the north, until you have a shotgun and at least 10 shells, or something else you feel confident using to fight off the wolves.

So the plan for DayZ is pretty exciting if you haven't heard.  Once .61 is complete (not sure how many are working on hot fixing), nearly the entire team is moving to work on .63, which is beta. A small team is working on .62, which will be a graphical update, like forest clutter, new textures, and hopefully some VFX. 

The .63 patch will open the flood gate for the content backlog waiting for the player controller and animation system. Hopefully it doesn't take the full year. But, should be exciting this year, they are finally getting close to showing all their hard-work. 

Also, you mentioned the Zeds, .61 is the first iteration of the new spawning system, so hopefully that has room for major improvement. 

Regardless the zombies work way better then they did over a year ago when really there were just 3 or 4 types and they had no stealth mechanic.......They are much better now

I think they should just be x number of them on a map, every restart...no spawning they gravitate in the citys maybe but can wonder off......might be allot of memory issues with that maybe........or bandwidth issues created by that

5 hours ago, Coheed_IV said:

So the plan for DayZ is pretty exciting if you haven't heard.  Once .61 is complete (not sure how many are working on hot fixing), nearly the entire team is moving to work on .63, which is beta. A small team is working on .62, which will be a graphical update, like forest clutter, new textures, and hopefully some VFX. 

The .63 patch will open the flood gate for the content backlog waiting for the player controller and animation system. Hopefully it doesn't take the full year. But, should be exciting this year, they are finally getting close to showing all their hard-work. 

Also, you mentioned the Zeds, .61 is the first iteration of the new spawning system, so hopefully that has room for major improvement. 

Do you think the graphical fixes like the forest and new textures are going to be harder on some video cards and/or systems?

17 hours ago, CJFlint said:

I think they should just be x number of them on a map, every restart...no spawning they gravitate in the citys maybe but can wonder off......might be allot of memory issues with that maybe........or bandwidth issues created by that

Thats the thing... they tried that. Server performance was horrible. Doesnt work to great. After a few hours most towns were Z free. Then you'd have to wait for a restart for the threat to return and lets be honest they are barely a threat as is. 

The few Z problems now are:

-keep respawning so never a feel of accomplishment and/or safety (so the dynamic spawning of Zs needs more love)

-Reaction to sounds not good enough (see similar posts about this)

-their animations are bad (wip)

@Hicks_206 (DayZ) wandered quite some time now why the Ragdoll effect of infected is incorporated in the Vicinity/character window? Kill a Z and its dying animation is visible in the loot window. 

My 1st real attempt at surviving ended in a really a nasty death. 

So I pretty much was doing my normal old deal. Gear up with basic stuff, get the green bars, gather food then set off for military camps, explore or just better loot. I was down at electro doing really well. I logged out then logged back in, on a rainy server began heading west headed toward cherno. I had the green bars not thinking much of it. Kept moving looted some more the noticed my avatar was gravely hypothermic. I did not want to light fires in cherno so I headed north to a smaller town....by then it was getting critical. Zombie attack! died really quick. haha....It was crazy how quick my avatar went from green bars to hypothermic...took a matter of 10 20 minutes. 

Part of me thinks, that mechanic is kind of over done, must be really cold. On the flip side It really does add a since of survival which I like. In the future I will probably have a fire starting kit on my person or most of the things needed for it. Def not as easy as it once was. Funny thing was I was more concerned with the elements then other players. Def a new dynamic there, that changes the play field.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CJFlint said:

My 1st real attempt at surviving ended in a really a nasty death. 

So I pretty much was doing my normal old deal. Gear up with basic stuff, get the green bars, gather food then set off for military camps, explore or just better loot. I was down at electro doing really well. I logged out then logged back in, on a rainy server began heading west headed toward cherno. I had the green bars not thinking much of it. Kept moving looted some more the noticed my avatar was gravely hypothermic. I did not want to light fires in cherno so I headed north to a smaller town....by then it was getting critical. Zombie attack! died really quick. haha....It was crazy how quick my avatar went from green bars to hypothermic...took a matter of 10 20 minutes. 

Part of me thinks, that mechanic is kind of over done, must be really cold. On the flip side It really does add a since of survival which I like. In the future I will probably have a fire starting kit on my person or most of the things needed for it. Def not as easy as it once was. Funny thing was I was more concerned with the elements then other players. Def a new dynamic there, that changes the play field.

I grabbed the materials placed a fireplace on the road, i had hypo too. Went to get bark and died 2 inches from the fireplace.

All in a matter of less then 5 minutes.

No matches found, just was going to make one, when i died.

I was soaked, and fresh spawn on the new server, but it was raining. I couldn't figure out why nobody was on this server.

I guess i know why... server hop, asap... and hope you don't get hypothermia.

Yeah I will not complain, maybe just say that should be tweaked a bit. I always fancied my self a survivalist player. Maybe like 30 to 40 minutes. The food count I think is good, I like the fact food is hard to come by. Honestly I think I am feeling challenged now, I am going to try again. I know one thing I probably will not be able to move as quickly across the map if there is foul weather.