Sign in to follow this  
Badfinger

Candles, Lanterns, and Window Barricades.

So I was thinking that something that would go a long way towards making a building really feel like your own would be the ability to board up all the windows, and set up some lanterns/candles inside. Ahaha originally I thought of just the candles but quickly realized how problematic that would be considering how easily your house would be to pick out from the others! Not that boarded up windows wouldn't also give it away from up close.

But if something very simple like window boarding or towel/blanket blinds of some kind combined with the ability to set up your own permanent or semi permanent light sources inside of buildings could have a really big impact on gameplay. Groups of people could take over entire small towns and convert them into strongholds with buildings that actually feel lived in and resettled. Combined with locks on doors and all sorts of traps and barricades already in the game. Or one lone wolf could take a home or barn in a remote village instead of having to build their own base from scratch in the wilderness.

I like the idea you're having here, I really do. But I think there's one major downside to this very thing and it's map size. I mean Chernarus+ is huge don't get me wrong but with 60+ (and they're planning on having even more than 60 players on servers) the servers will quickly become crowded with random houses being boarded up and players starting work on a house but never finishes it etc. I think the map simply isn't large enough for this unfortunately.

Really? I think it wouldn't be too bad, you can add ways to break open doors, and people won't crowd the middle of a city because of the amount of players that will constantly be roaming around. I cant imagine anyone doing it in downtown Chern. 

If people can barricade windows and lock doors, but other players can break down those doors or window barricades with say an axe, then I think the natural self organizing chaos of the whole thing would lead to certain specific instances where it is beneficial. Say you find a cabin in the woods, or a house on the edge of a small town. Or in the example I gave, if you have a group of players willing to work together they could take over a smaller settlement, but boarding up a house in Chern or Elektro would be suicidal.