Sign in to follow this  
cdtush

Reason to keep playing?

So I have now had the game for 2 years,  and so far,  while there is new content,  there is still nothing to do after you get fully kitted out.  For example,  I run around for a day or two and get food and water,  Make a few looting trips to the NW airfield. That is fine and dandy.  What else is there to do?  I couldn't care less about playing the game for the PVP as I have Arma 3  for that (4500+ hours played).  After 2 years, and 621 hours in the game,  When does there get to be something for the PVE players to do?

The game has great potential.  How ever,  I cannot enjoy a game that I cannot host a private server to do just PVE on.  While I understand why the server files have yet to be released,  Maybe the devs should focus on the game breaking things like Hit detection for the infected.  As the game is melee based,  that is a major issue.

The ability to farm food is great.  if you can live long enough to reap the rewards.

Now let the flaming happen,  as I know that it will happen..

Agree. I don't get into this game to get infected and then cure myself. I get into this game to [insert objective] and then zombies happen, infections happen, hypothermia happens, hungry/thirsty happens, etc. I protect myself, I survive, I get closer to my [insert objective] and have fun in the process.

But with the current setup there's no objective at all.

However I do think this is because game mechanics are more important. Once that is working fine, endgame shall be added (bases, camps, story?, factions?).

2 hours ago, cdtush said:

So I have now had the game for 2 years,  and so far,  while there is new content,  there is still nothing to do after you get fully kitted out.  For example,  I run around for a day or two and get food and water,  Make a few looting trips to the NW airfield. That is fine and dandy.  What else is there to do?  I couldn't care less about playing the game for the PVP as I have Arma 3  for that (4500+ hours played).  After 2 years, and 621 hours in the game,  When does there get to be something for the PVE players to do?

Built-in content is a finite resource.  If you're only playing the game for PvE, then it is only a matter of time before you're done with it, whether that be 60, 600, or 6000 hours, it'll eventually happen.

What makes DayZ a provider of perpetual enjoyment is interaction with other players (not just PvP, but that's obviously part of it).  If you're not interested in player interaction, then you will play it and move on until new content is released - just like with any other game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanguine00 said:

What makes DayZ a provider of perpetual enjoyment is interaction with other players (not just PvP, but that's obviously part of it).  If you're not interested in player interaction, then you will play it and move on until new content is released - just like with any other game.

I understand that there is the need to have player interaction,  How ever My Idea of interaction is not getting an ax to the head as I am at a well.   That is what the game is currently.  This game is currently just a "loot then PVP" Restart.  whether you are interacting with players,  or not,  it will get old.

• Like 1

im playing for now on italian server and theres is somekind of safezone in guglovo.maybe dayz servers should consider more of this kind of places.just travelled from dubky to this place to find some honest survivor but its empty.everybody gone,only infected here.
(of course theres some problems with this kind of safezones but just a little interaction)
maybe i get some house for me from here and start farming.maybe some nice looking woman comes here and we start family in this cruel world....and then someday we leave from this safezone and......sniped:(

Do run with others OP if not you should find a group and give it a whirl it makes the game a lot more fun IMO. I do not play the loot an PVP style, I'm the guy who likes more of a PVE type of game actually but I play on PVP just for the danger, I usually lose and the beginning stages of the game are my favorite so death isn't a big deal. The game this last update was a major step forward in PVE threats the wolves are a dandy and the zeds in every civilized area are a welcome addition. This does show promise in future updates, I think we just got to give it more time. And as others have said look for a PVE server or find a RP community or a community that fits your style of play. I haven't tried pure PVE this update maybe it wouldn't get boring with the wolves and the zeds so you could try that too.

Edited by gannon46

I understand that there is the need to have player interaction,

It's not needed to enjoy the game, but it's needed to enjoy the game indefinitely.  In your OP you identified yourself as a "PvE player", which implies that you were interested in a single-player, built-in-content-only experience.

If you do want player interaction, but no PvP, you should look into some of the RP communities.  I wish I could recommend one to you, but I'm terrible at RP and the communities I know of are rife with silly drama about who is playing properly and who isn't.

someone put me handcuffs on this italian server,on guglovo what should be safezone.so......dont go this this server....
is there some other server where is maybe some safezone,just a town or maybe someplace in forest where you could meet players?

9 hours ago, cdtush said:

The game has great potential.  How ever,  I cannot enjoy a game that I cannot host a private server to do just PVE on.  While I understand why the server files have yet to be released,  Maybe the devs should focus on the game breaking things like Hit detection for the infected.  As the game is melee based,  that is a major issue.

I've heard multiple people who have tried PVE only servers say that it is the most boring way to play the game. Personally I just like to make goals like assemble a ghillie suit, hold someone up, or just playing with friends. I agree there needs to be more focus on PVE because the end game of killing people with the loot you've acquired is silly for a survival game. Clearing towns of infected should be a big and fun ordeal. But hey if the game is not doing it for you then stop playing. There's nothing that turns people off more than feeling obligated. Maybe check back later to see how much it's changed. I feel like the new animation system is going to help out melee and zombie combat so I'm eager to see that.

Sometimes I ask myself the very same, but yet diffrent quesstion. Reason to keep living? I still don't know the answer...

There is always a new story to be told once you start looting up and meet people. This game reminds me so much of the walking dead, people come and go and the story goes on. People keep watching the walking dead right?

I love this game for the adrenaline rush of the PVP and player interactions, and even with all the hours i do have in this game, i'll still always love it no matter how many hours i plug into it. If you don't play it for that at this point in the game, you might get bored.

If all I wanted to do was get geared up, and then PVP,  I could play H1Z1: King of the hill.   I bought this game because of the mod.  Where I had several thousand hours played.  This was supposed to be the successor to that.In my eyes, and there for my opinion,  The game has fallen very short.  

19 hours ago, cdtush said:

So I have now had the game...etc

I think Dayz will always be strongly rooted in metagaming since its a sandbox. So dont expect "quests" or anything like that to happend. We already have pve aspects in the game...surviving, zombies, find food etc...literally player vs environment. Basebuilding will come.

I also dont quite get what ur saying about the pvp...u cant enjoy pvp in Dayz because u enjoy it already in ARMA3? Makes no sense, unless dayz pvp is to low key for u.

Edited by svisketyggeren

On 1/2/2017 at 8:21 AM, cdtush said:

The ability to farm food is great.  if you can live long enough to reap the rewards.

Now let the flaming happen,  as I know that it will happen..

No flame, you continue on your journey to find the enlighten one.

Let all your adventures be true! Oh wait that's another story....

....Let the force be with.... OH man that's another story.......

Just wait, it will come to me.

1 second......OH

There can only be one!! F.....ing hell, i give up.

5 hours ago, svisketyggeren said:

... So dont expect "quests" or anything like that to happend. We already have pve aspects in the game...surviving, zombies, find food etc...literally player vs environment.

Why not? i mean it all ends up with getting high equipped that one could reach within 50 h playtime... no higher goals exists.

I think we need missions or side missions running simultanously to all the MP activity on the server. Quests where we get items that nowhere spawns.

Quests do not make sense in my eyes in DayZ. Why ? Firstly, a quest must be realistic, with the actual char. Secondly, what is at the conclusion of the quest ... it needs a reward with it at all who takes a quest .... if I think so times .... a quest: survive 50 hours without an apple or berry to eat --- > Reward at every try an apple or berry to seek a success. Sounds nice, but just so stupid. I think this is never going to happen as what good, because the game from the goal of survival. Perhaps there will be times mods enter the quests, but in the pure version better not.

Reason to keep playing: Loot, Survive, get shot in the face when you try to say hello to someone, loot, survive, shoot the next mother fucker you see in the face because that last guy shot you in the face for no reason and you're sick and tired of how shitty people are and you're going to teach these fuckers a lesson.... Yup.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, svisketyggeren said:

Basebuilding will come.

When?  As Far as I know,  Arma 3 has had the ability to add building in for the last 2 years through mods,  As the modding community is able to work on the game and make it do what they want to.

5 hours ago, Funkdoc said:

Why not? i mean it all ends up with getting high equipped that one could reach within 50 h playtime... no higher goals exists.

I think we need missions or side missions running simultaneously to all the MP activity on the server. Quests where we get items that nowhere spawns.

^^^ I totally agree

In the first hour of the game,  I can get most of the gear to make a safe trip to NW and all the military bases.  After that it is only a matter of finding what I want to kit out with. SKS with a PU scope?  In every military base. Clothes?  all over.  For a first time player it could be a great experience,  however,  some one who has played it before,  it is good for a day or two.

Can't believe I'm about to say this, but. . Fast Updates. 

The Devs are blasting out Exp Updates every week or so to fix bugs and add content. More and more is coming, while what we have is barely even the game they'll be turning it into within the next 6 months or so. 

Also, this game is not about progression right now. . It's a survival social game - It's almost a test of morality and decision-making with the greatest goal being that you've survived and beaten the odds. 

• Like 1

See the OPs point, updates mostly only cover combat related stuff, PvP is a neglected side kick at best. Now they announce that they will not bother with an eloborated skill system either. Haven't touched 0.61 for more than 10 minutes and don't feel like there is a reason at present either.

I think DayZ was the rise and fall of the survival genre in one game. big expectations, big shortcomings, as we will have a  loot -> jog -> shoot -> die simulator.

As for PvP I am with the OP as well, I do play games where I don't need to search the map for an hour to find some action or yet better a bullet to my back. Adrenaline can't make up for everything.

I know, negative post, sorry for that.

9 hours ago, Funkdoc said:

I think we need missions or side missions running simultanously to all the MP activity on the server. Quests where we get items that nowhere spawns.

Didnt I just say metagaming?, and u reply but saying no higher goal exists besides getting loot....

11 minutes ago, svisketyggeren said:

metagaming

Metagaming is any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. Another definition refers to the game universe outside of the game itself.

How do you transcend the rule set,  when there is only the rule of survive?  How are you going to use an external factor to break the supposed limits of the game?

Me thinks that Metagaming is not the word that you wanted to use there.

What is the goal of DayZ?  To survive.

When you have done that, for a week,  or two,  or three, What else is there to do? And Before you reply with the same old find players to interact with.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Quests do not make sense in my eyes in DayZ. Why ? Firstly, a quest must be realistic, with the actual char.

yes they should be realistic, whats the problem.

MP example mission:

u get a emergency call on your radio (triggered by player location, server mission cycle time, or what ever...) from a AI Pilot who needs fuel for his plane. He will land in approx. 1h on the krasnostav airstrip. your mission is to get 4 canisters of gasoline for that man. so take your friends and run up the the solnichniy and berezino industrial areas to find it. take care, others may have intercepted the radio call! (MP interaction with mission/-target).

9 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Secondly, what is at the conclusion of the quest ... it needs a reward with it at all who takes a quest ....

rewards are items that will definitely spawn really rare, or nowhere as i said. for example night vision goggles. rewards have to be outside the central loot economy so it couldnt conflict with it.

missions are the point where all the stuff like radio, batteries, text messages,... comes together in this game and makes sense.

what many dont know as mission.. we already have mini missions implemented in dayz. yes... its the helicopter crashsites.... mission: find it and get the loot.. simple as that. mission cancels by despanwn after time.

Yes... all the stuff must be scripted... but why do so many always complaining about scripted actions in a open world sandbox game? i cant understand... wolves are scripted... the infected also. if u dont want ineraction with a mission, stay on the server and make your thing (harvesting potatoes) and dont let u disturb from the mission thing.

we will see dayz missions soon i think.

When you have done that, for a week,  or two,  or three, What else is there to do? And Before you reply with the same old find players to interact with.

Congratulations, you beat the alpha aka "Unfinished game"

On 4.1.2017 at 0:42 AM, cdtush said:

Metagaming is any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. Another definition refers to the game universe outside of the game itself.

How do you transcend the rule set,  when there is only the rule of survive?  How are you going to use an external factor to break the supposed limits of the game?

Me thinks that Metagaming is not the word that you wanted to use there.

U obviously havent played alot of sandbox games.

A player holds u up by gunpoint, cuffs u and forces u out in the woods to his camp. Holds u there as a sexslave and lets his mates do u too, feeding u barly enough food to keep u alive. Then u manage to escape in the dark and the rapesquad starts to hunt u down. Maybe they wanted to let u escape so they could have some fun hunting u. Maybe u find ur crew and get some help. Ur crew and the rapesquad develop a long lasting grudge...etc etc

Metagaming, there is alot more to do in the game besides collection beans and bullets

Edited by svisketyggeren