boggle

Tanning Leather Overhaul- (bc barrels are very limited on private hives)

I think a large reason more people don't get into the crafting of clothes part of the game, is because of the rarity of barrels; particularly on private servers where they are very limited quantity, especially as time progress's from the last wipe and they all get snatched up and hidden. Just seems a bit odd that we need a barrel to tan leather, how did the Native Americans do it then?

Instead of increasing the qty of barrels, how about a system where you are able to create a clothes line (could be used to dry clothes rapidly as well) and make it a container item (like the fireplace) so that you can attach leather and lime to it? Just an idea. That or allow for crafting of a crude barrel like container to be used for storage and/or tanning leather. 

Thoughts?

Edited by boggle

From what I could see, you can tan the hides straight on the ground with Garden lime... what do barrels have to do with it?

On 12/30/2016 at 4:38 PM, ShallowTech said:

From what I could see, you can tan the hides straight on the ground with Garden lime... what do barrels have to do with it?

Do you mean this is already a thing or it should be allowed? I agree that it should be a thing if it isn't already. There is no reason to have it in a container. 

On 30-12-2016 at 7:27 PM, boggle said:

I think a large reason more people don't get into the crafting of clothes part of the game, is because of the rarity of barrels; particularly on private servers where they are very limited quantity, especially as time progress's from the last wipe and they all get snatched up and hidden. Just seems a bit odd that we need a barrel to tan leather, how did the Native Americans do it then?

Instead of increasing the qty of barrels, how about a system where you are able to create a clothes line (could be used to dry clothes rapidly as well) and make it a container item (like the fireplace) so that you can attach leather and lime to it? Just an idea. That or allow for crafting of a crude barrel like container to be used for storage and/or tanning leather. 

Thoughts?

I had the exact same problem as you approximately 1 year ago. I couldn't find a barrel on a private hive server because almost all of the barrels were taken. So I made a topic about that:

I also did a suggestion like you did, mine was to make a crafting station of some sort and got this response from Brian Hicks:

The building itself is already actually in-game but unfortunately it doesn't work yet. At least, I think they are going to use that building. You can visit the building and it spawns loot as well but there is no other interaction yet.

On 30-12-2016 at 10:38 PM, ShallowTech said:

Have you tested this recently? I don't think that works at this moment but I could be wrong, maybe they re-added this again. Because of OP's problem.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2017 at 10:05 AM, IMT said:

The building itself is already actually in-game but unfortunately it doesn't work yet. At least, I think they are going to use that building. You can visit the building and it spawns loot as well but there is no other interaction yet.

Have you tested this recently? I don't think that works at this moment but I could be wrong, maybe they re-added this again. Because of OP's problem.

I think he means that should be a thing, not that it currently exists in game. IRL you just stretch it and rub Alum on it, and scrape all the fat off. I'm glad to hear that craftable containers are coming. I can't wait for those, gun modifications in those sheds, stashes in the ground, most of all, the craftable tents that aren't bright blue. I'm holding off on making any camps until those are in bc the blue tents are impractical and the mil tents are just as obvious bc of their size.