Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Stable Branch 0.61.136821

I can't use scopes by themselves as a spotting scope and the same with the binoculars they don't come up all the way to see thou them. As i'm legally blind and 76 years old i depend on binoculars and scopes a lot , sorry to bug you with this. 

2 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

I can't use scopes by themselves as a spotting scope and the same with the binoculars they don't come up all the way to see thou them. As i'm legally blind and 76 years old i depend on binoculars and scopes a lot , sorry to bug you with this. 

you to put the binocs in your hands, raise hands (spacebar) and right klick on your mouse.

wihout raising your hands it will not work

• Like 1

I started playing again after a very long time. I actually bought the game in summer 2014 because I felt like supporting the devs with a purchase without really intending to play (too alpha). In all that time, I played for a grand total of maybe 10-20 hours. Basically, I still don't know crap about the game, and that's fine. I'm actually quite happy I will be able to fully enjoy more finished product when the time comes.

My experience with 0.61? It's pretty ok, at least comparing it to older versions. The new renderer really helped a ton (yes I know it was not added in this particular update). Performance is still horrible, but at least it's playable. The game looks surprisingly good for running/being built on horrible old broken engine.
I also haven't run into any obvious bugs (probably thanks to still struggling with the basic elements of the game and not trying anything funky).
Generally the experience is significantly more enjoyable than last time I tried (might be a year ago).

I'm pretty disappointed how crappy combat still is though. To be specific, melee. Zombies hit me every time and at around 3 times the speed I am able to swing anything, jump around me, through me (unsure), and I can't hit them. Basically, for one hit I manage to score, a zombie gets about 4 in. It feels clumsy, bugged and extremely annoying/frustrating. Hit detection still feels borderline nonexistant. No matter how long weapon I use, I can't seem to hit those damn things 70% of the time while they chop me to pieces at ridiculous speed with 100% accuracy. Not impressed with that after such a long time of development honestly.

Controls are still horrible, and the associated settings are not helping one bit. I do have some previous experience with the game and still get lost in all that garbage from what I presume is Arma 2(?) leftovers. Surely you could at least remove those invalid entries from the options in all those years? Imagine what this does to a new player who wants to change something.
Jumping still pretty much doesn't work. Only being able to jump while running is stupid, and even when running, you basically get initially stuck and then teleported through/over obstacles, half of which you can't jump over anyway despite not being even as tall as a regular short fence.
Having to press stand up from prone or crouch instead of these actions being on toggle gets annoying pretty quickly.

I'm going to keep playing for a while this time because the game is not _that_ bad, but I think I will go into lurk mode soonish again, and see what the next update (I guess another half a year or so?) brings.

That's it for a returning player mini review.
Flame away. I'm sure I'll get shitposted to hell and back for being a whiny nub who doesn't know how to play.

Edited by Guest

I think that there are too many guns available or then im just been lucky.status bar is quite broken and also waiting hotfix to the fireplaces

10 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

You might already know this but here it goes, when you press spacebar it makes you raise your arms up. If you have binocs or a scope, it will raise it up but not look through it. You will need to press the right mouse button to look through them, and then press the RMB again to take them away from your face. Sorry if you already knew this but it sounds like the problem you are having. 

Anyone have any good locations for camps now? I'm having a difficult time trusting in any location. 

Also, anyone have much luck with loot on prison island? I went there and there was nothing but clothes, on a low pop private server. 

hypothermia is getting old fast.  if it starts to rain when you're nowhere near a building and you weren't lucky enough to find a raincoat when you first spawned, you're just dead.  period.  almost as quick as bleeding out.  yeah, and fireplaces are broken, which really fucking helps.

last night I got caught in the rain in the woods, and not wanting to 'combat-log' to save my life, I got soaked and died.  but I got to a barrel and saved my stuff with seconds to spare.  then died 3 more fucking times trying to get back to that barrel before someone else found it.  I finally did have to resort to hopping servers to find one with sunny weather.

:-/

and the black head thing is pretty annoying too.

why did this get pushed to stable if it's still in experimental?  it's obviously not 'done' enough to be there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WalrusInAnus said:

Having to press stand up from prone or crouch instead of these actions being on toggle gets annoying pretty quickly.

yeah having a toggle is so basic in games (this game even has toggles for other things) and would be so nice.  just like a key for auto-run.

11 minutes ago, Red_Ensign said:

hypothermia is getting old fast.  if it starts to rain when you're nowhere near a building and you weren't lucky enough to find a raincoat when you first spawned, you're just dead.  period.  almost as quick as bleeding out.  yeah, and fireplaces are broken, which really fucking helps.

last night I got caught in the rain in the woods, and not wanting to 'combat-log' to save my life, I got soaked and died.  but I got to a barrel and saved my stuff with seconds to spare.  then died 3 more fucking times trying to get back to that barrel before someone else found it.  I finally did have to resort to hopping servers to find one with sunny weather.

why did this get pushed to stable if it's still in experimental?  it's obviously not 'done' enough to be there.

they wanted to let the mass base use .61 before christmas, the hypothermia was new to the latest version and they must have run out of time to fix it without scrapping that original christmas plan. they were working until midnight locally to push it out and add the christmas trees.

17 minutes ago, Red_Ensign said:

lucky enough to find a raincoat when you first spawned

I've been finding tons of these. So many that I tear them up for rags to make rope for my bow.

Edited by boggle

Hey guys! I know some of you are having trouble withstanding the cold, so remember to stop and make fires a lot! If you hit Cold and Wet status and you aren't on the move trying to remedy that situation, you will die. 

If anyone of you want to play on a fun 1PP Heavy RP server with no KOS, come to http://aftermathdayzrp.com/portal.php :D 

Just read over the rules and lore, fill out an app, and you'll be accepted quick for Whitelisting! Hope to see more of you there! 

• Like 2

Any hot fixes done last night during maintenance? 

3 hours ago, Red_Ensign said:

Fireplaces are not broken - if you believe you've found an issue with the functionality of them please file a ticket at feedback.dayz.com

3 hours ago, koffeekage said:

they wanted to let the mass base use .61 before christmas, the hypothermia was new to the latest version and they must have run out of time to fix it without scrapping that original christmas plan. they were working until midnight locally to push it out and add the christmas trees.

No - there is no known issue with hypothermia. This is functioning as intended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Espa said:

Hey guys! I know some of you are having trouble withstanding the cold, so remember to stop and make fires a lot! If you hit Cold and Wet status and you aren't on the move trying to remedy that situation, you will die. 

If anyone of you want to play on a fun 1PP Heavy RP server with no KOS, come to http://aftermathdayzrp.com/portal.php :D 

Just read over the rules and lore, fill out an app, and you'll be accepted quick for Whitelisting! Hope to see more of you there! 

^ This guy with the knowledge!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Fireplaces are not broken - if you believe you've found an issue with the functionality of them please file a ticket at feedback.dayz.com

@Hicks_206 (DayZ) Does this thread no longer apply?

You can just sit under a tree and make a fire. It doesnt work anywhere but in a lot of places. Enough so you shouldnt have to die from hypothermia. I admit that i find the rain annoying if I dont have a raincoat but thats life. Its a female dog and then you lie down for a bit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Red_Ensign said:

Trees are your friends mate. You can and I have done it so many times, light fires under trees. Trees protect you from the rain and all you need, from a freshie standpoint to combat rain/cold/hypothermia is a stone knife, some birch bark, some sticks and a hand drill made from bark. Easy as... And yes, I've done this when it's pissing down rain in game. ;)

Edited by HIHBGaming
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, wasnu said:

you to put the binocs in your hands, raise hands (spacebar) and right klick on your mouse.

wihout raising your hands it will not work

Thanks I have `1500 hours in game ,and i'm sure it used to just the right mouse to look thou them.

14 hours ago, WalrusInAnus said:

I'm actually quite happy I will be able to fully enjoy more finished product when the time comes.

Good attitude, really.

(yes I know it was not added in this particular update).

The new renderer is in but still running alongside a lot of legacy modules and not fully optimized.

I'm pretty disappointed how crappy combat still is though.

Currently the infected are using the updated physics while the character is using placeholder physics, this fact along with the fact that the player controller is being updated should change everything about your observations regarding combat/melee.

gets annoying pretty quickly.

The entire player controller is being replaced and very indepth animations for layers of character feedback are being added. Injured animations, leaning for aiming, aiming out of cars, fatigue, sickness, and much more will be a visible and (hopefully) authentic representation of a characters health/status.

and see what the next update (I guess another half a year or so?) brings.

Man, I really hope it's never as long as that last gap between patches again!

I hope this helps you to understand the changes coming that will address some of your concerns.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Red_Ensign said:

Actually... have you tried standing outside only with a t-shirt on a cold day while raining? How long you think it will take you to be in need of an ambulance due to an hypothermia?

Let me tell you. About 15-30 minutes. At this point your body temperature is so low your life is already in danger, an even if an ambulance arrives to help, you are still bound to a fairly enough chance of shock and dying anyway.

Therefore I find this game mechanic pretty good. If it rains, first thing you have to do is make a fire under a pine, a roof, or a chimmey in a house (once fixed) and warm yourself.

• Like 2