BobbyDean

3PP vs 1PP - I finally have an opinion

55 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

Doesn't really get my hopes up for any major camera peeking fix. The perspective is too entrenched at this point.

Removing 3pp isn't the same thing as fixing it. Plenty of games have 3pp cameras that don't give you a god mode drone camera.

38 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Didn't we just see a new video of 3PP that zooms into your back when approaching walls etc?

I thought I saw something recently.

As far as I can remember, they are working on changing it from the way it is.

I don't follow the development as closely as you, can't say. Of course they have already done just that, to some extent.

34 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Removing 3pp isn't the same thing as fixing it. Plenty of games have 3pp cameras that don't give you a god mode drone camera.

Yes, but all of them do allow peeking in countless situations. Even standing up in a field that 3rd person camera will provide a small advantage (never mind lying down in the grass). In September of this year I was playing in 1st person on a 3rd person server (yes) and was unable to spot some prone hostiles thanks to a slight dip in the terrain, while the player beside me, running 3rd person, could see them.

This doesn't fix the perspective, it just removes it in certain situations—still easily 'abused', still peeky. 

17 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Could you please make a list of 1pp servers that actually have players on them because I hate being forced to play 3pp due to population.

Experimental has 1st person servers. They could make experimental 1st person only and still get many full servers.

There was a time where most of the servers in experimental were 1st person and the amount of players and full servers was the same.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, St. Jimmy said:

Experimental has 1st person servers. They could make experimental 1st person only and still get many full servers.

There was a time where most of the servers in experimental were 1st person and the amount of players and full servers was the same.

This is true.  BI knows that people will play 1pp if that is their only option.  Unfortunately, making 1pp the only option would risk alienating people with disabilities or acute discomfort that prevents a few people from being able to play 1pp.

That does not, however, prevent them from making it the default version that servers will run on the unallocated public hive servers;  the "XX  # - ##"  formatted server names.

14 hours ago, ColdAtrophy said:

I keep suggesting that they simply render the 3pp cameras as a big, orange, beach-ball following the players, but people insist that THAT would break immersion.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2016 at 3:16 AM, BobbyDean said:

So I've finally made up my mind on this debate - it's a bit of a compromise.  I've been playing DayZ since early 2014 and have been thinking about this debate for a while.  Both sides of the argument have merit, but I agree that gunfights in 3PP are very immersion breaking.  After 3 years, I finally have a solid opinion and would love to hear your thoughts.

My Opinion:   Allow switching between 3PP/1PP whenever you want EXCEPT when you have a firearm in your hands.  So, firearm in your hands = forced 1PP mode. 

I finally came to this conclusion because I figure for some character movement and ESPECIALLY melee, etc 3PP really does play an important part given it's a video game and not real life.  BUT once your character has a firearm in their hand, I think you should no longer be allowed the extra "situational awareness" that 3PP gives you until the firearm is removed from your hands.

Thoughts?

To my surprise, I actually agree with this. I do 1pp when in gun combat anyway. 3pp during combat is bullshit with that dumb reticle making it easy for shitty players to wipe your ass without going into ADS. IMO, the devs should remove that reticle anyway.

Just so ya know, I prefer 3pp but played SA in 1pp for almost a year so I've played on both sides of the fence.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

On 26/12/2016 at 11:23 PM, Guy Smiley said:

I can't really think of any game that has done a good 1pp melee.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

The entire premise is based on that. I mean, there's a third-person view, but I've never used it and suspect nobody else does either. I suspect this because I've never had an archer pop out from behind cover and instantly shoot me because he knew where I was before he even peeked.

However, the game is old by now. The remaining players are largely veterans, though from time to time I see a few new faces. Also, stay away from the Deadliest Warrior expansion; it's crap.

1 hour ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

Yea i would enjoy a Chivalry style combat system, however the veterans really know how to squeeze the most out of it. If it was implemented verbatim i would imagine lots of people getting wrecked by a dude with a broom pulling spinning backwards overhands.

Others mentioned mount and blade style but i have no familiarity with it, perhaps it isn't as gamey as the Chivalry system.

Either way the melee as it stands is a bit lackluster and kind of a spam fest with little skill and more luck, mostly due to desync but thats been improving lately. 

I my self prefer 3pp, mainly because I play PVE.

I played on numerous mods and servers for both Arma 2 dayz mod and Arma 3 Epoch/Exile. But Dayz standalone is by far worst for me to play in 1pp. Its just so clunky, especialy when fighting infected. On some 3pp servers in Arma it would force to 1pp when you would be in combat (flashing pistol icon), which is OK. One  thing I noticed two days ago in Arma 3 on Tanoa map: there are fields of sugar cane (or something similar) higher than player, and when I drow into that camera lowered and didnt let me look over. 

The only reason I mainly play 3PP servers, is because I primarily play with a streamer and content creator. He plays it that way because it's easier to follow for the viewers. 1PP action is a lot slower paced, it feels more tactical, and satisfying as well. I like having an actual chance of spotting that guy looking at me, instead of him eyeballing me while prone and behind cover. The corner peeking thing just reminds me of how APB is played, which is not a good thing. My 2 cents.

Edited by anderswhk

On 12/28/2016 at 3:42 AM, igor-vk said:

I my self prefer 3pp, mainly because I play PVE.

I played on numerous mods and servers for both Arma 2 dayz mod and Arma 3 Epoch/Exile. But Dayz standalone is by far worst for me to play in 1pp. Its just so clunky, especialy when fighting infected. On some 3pp servers in Arma it would force to 1pp when you would be in combat (flashing pistol icon), which is OK. One  thing I noticed two days ago in Arma 3 on Tanoa map: there are fields of sugar cane (or something similar) higher than player, and when I drow into that camera lowered and didnt let me look over. 

I hope i can tell you why? the speed at which you turn around. For some people i think that is why it bothers you. I found i tend to switch to 3pp because of that when in 1pp. My best guess is this.

Camara angles, wall obstructions, fast character movements (Like Gews posted) the head bobbing, the sway, pretty much everything in 1pp finds a way for me to switch to 3pp because i start to develop headache, discomfort in 1pp.

I sometimes do feel it in 3pp so i am guessing it is because it is far from being tweaked in 3pp or 1pp.

Edited by sneakydude
  • Like 1