Sign in to follow this  
LackLustreSurvivor

Barricading and Basebuilding Concept

I can't wait for DayZ basebuilding/barricading.

I posted these screenshots on the DayZ reddit and it received good and bad criticism. Some players are wary of barricading/basebuilding fearing that the feature would change the gameplay too much and/or ruin the game. And some like me can't wait for the feature! It's going to be fantastic because basebuilding/barricading will take time and effort therefore players who really want to put in the effort will succeed at it and those who only care for murder will carry on doing what they do today. 

Basebuilding has so many opportunities. Just think about a base set up by a group that has player run "trading posts" where you can barter your gear with the player for food, clothing, ammunition etc whatever that player has found around Chernarus and decided to trade it for something else he needs.

It won't be easy for players to get into a base as long as you lay traps outside in strategic places. Barricades alone won't stop bandits but traps and players guarding the base/barricaded house or settlement could stop them. 

Simplest base, just a barricaded house - http://imgur.com/a/k0bqp 

Base set up on a dam (trading post included in the base) - http://imgur.com/a/foYXj

Red warehouse building used as a base, fortified with barricades and pitched tents. The containers would already be there (as they are way too heavy for players to move) Enterable containers are ideal for stashing loot or simply using as living quarters - http://imgur.com/gallery/yQbCm

Inside the red warehouse again with detailed explanation of where the tents, portable lights, generators and other furniture items could be looted from and how they could be used by players - http://imgur.com/gallery/Cc2TC

Bases/Barricades should not be easy to set up. The materials would need to be scavenged/looted from around the map and to transport those materials you would need a truck since carrying 20+ planks and 20+ corrugated steel fences is not something a player could do without a truck. Don't forget tools also being needed to set up fences. You would need a chainsaw or regular saw to cut the planks to size. You would need an electric screwdriver or a manual one to screw in the planks or use nails and a hammer. You would also need a crowbar to break down barricades if placed incorrectly (maybe mistakes were made?) and/or to scavenge/loot the materials from pallets (planks) or construction sites (corrugated metal sheets)

Edited by LackLustreSurvivor
  • Like 3

Seeing some new things here, and really liking it.

- A base built on a dam, never thought of that. Super neato

- Living in the shipping crates, amazing

- When precise object placement is a thing, actual "market stands" could work

- The placement of furniture; I've always only thought big picture: Walls, roof, doors, etc. Never thought about furniture, now that I've seen this, we better be able to move couches, chairs, tables, etc (And use them)

Another note: Loving how this is showing more barricading than full on construction of what are practically fortresses. Full on construction should NOT be a thing imo, more barricading and using premade items (Using an already made chain-link fence for example)

• Like 1

I think those shiping containers should be interactive. Maybe in future we could either take them apart and load in regular V3S or load them on V3S chasis truck. Of course, it would require a team of players (driver, loader, and one or more to fend off zombies). 

There will definetly be basebuilding mods (there is base building on pirated rusian servers). Question is how good they will be. Will they be "realistic" like your concepts or "penis-like" sky scrapers made from 15 logs.

I would definetly like to have option to actualy have things to do for weeks or even months. Serius base building should take long.

8 hours ago, igor-vk said:

I think those shiping containers should be interactive. Maybe in future we could either take them apart and load in regular V3S or load them on V3S chasis truck. Of course, it would require a team of players (driver, loader, and one or more to fend off zombies).

I'm not sure about dismantling and reassembling shipping containers... Those things are really heavy! They use cranes to pick them up empty and full they always use cranes to pick them up and put them on trucks or ships. Dismantling one would take quite a while to do but maybe it's feasible? One thing I know for sure is I'll be stashing loot inside the enterable ones and using them as shelters. No one would suspect a thing! =D

Edited by LackLustreSurvivor
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, gordonfreemantr said:

I would love to see improvised tents,

Couple of Long Sticks + Burlap sacks + Nettings, normal sticks for Stakes, 40-50 slots, nice camo tents in the woods for a little stash.

@Hicks_206 (DayZ) 

Improvised tents are on their way - http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Improvised_Tent