Hicks_206 (DayZ)

PKM Discussion Thread

PKM.png

I realize we haven't talked much about the PKM! So, ask your questions and I'll see if I can get you answers on them!

• Like 3

What type of Ammo and magazine will this beauty use? Can we put scopes on it? Does the PKM use a new type of bipod?

What kind of attachments can we expect? Where will this gun be placed in the rarity hierarchy? What will it be chambered in?

34 minutes ago, Spac3 said:

What type of Ammo and magazine will this beauty use? Can we put scopes on it? Does the PKM use a new type of bipod?

32 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

What kind of attachments can we expect? Where will this gun be placed in the rarity hierarchy? What will it be chambered in?

I think these cover just about all the important questions!

• Like 3

I noticed some things a while back. The model shown here seems to have a mix of PK and PKM parts. For example, the fluted barrel, the flash hider and the stock look like they're off a PK. However, the feed cover is off a PKM, says "1990г", the pistol grip also looks like PKM. The safety is on the wrong side of the gun (visible on both sides, actually). This topic says 'PKM'. So, PKM with certain PK parts. Mixing of reference images I suppose.

Questions:

1. The PKM uses non-disintegrating, reusable steel belts in 25-round connectable sections. Will this be represented in DayZ, or will the box 6Zh1M be treated as the 'magazine'? Important considering planned reloading animations for magazines: "[. . .] feeding a magazine will be a continuous action, the same as feeding the internal magazine of a gun which takes some time, one by one cartridge loading as long as you perform that feeding action which leads to a much more believable tension with planning ahead and tactical approach [. . .]" (Status Report March 29, 2016).

2. Sight adjustment to 1,500 m, however optimistic?

3. Detachable barrel?

4. Optics confirmed? If so, any new optic specific to PK-series or using existing Russian optics?

SaBfrkj.jpg

• Like 5

Only problem I see is how terrible it would be to shoot that weapon with the current weapon sway and huge recoil it might have.

Would be nice to be able to deploy the bipod which would reduce recoil and sway.

Also would be beast if we could hip fire it without the horrendous walking gun sway.

I held PKT once (detached from APC). That thing is really heavy and you cant sprint with it on your shoulder. Back in dayz mod, some machine guns didnt let you carry backpack in same time. Anyway, it will be huge pain in the ass to load one box of ammo just to spend it in 6-7 seconds. It would be cool if it could be mounted on vehicles.

7 hours ago, -Gews- said:

1. The PKM uses non-disintegrating, reusable steel belts in 25-round connectable sections. Will this be represented in DayZ, or will the box 6Zh1M be treated as the 'magazine'? Important considering planned reloading animations for magazines: "[. . .] feeding a magazine will be a continuous action, the same as feeding the internal magazine of a gun which takes some time, one by one cartridge loading as long as you perform that feeding action which leads to a much more believable tension with planning ahead and tactical approach [. . .]" (Status Report March 29, 2016).

i realy was curious how the belt would work in DayZ, and you shared some realy nice information about, how it wors irl.

i realy hope we will need the belt parts along with the box, but i guess only having the box would also be fine to me, becasue one could say, that the player picks up the belt parts after shooting and stores them with the box. animating all this, or even coding the need to load the rounds into a belt that gets inside the magazine, might not be worth the effort. but it would be realy cool.

I can imagine how terrifying it will be to be on the wrong end of that!

Are you waiting for encumbrance to be added before making it spawn?

15 hours ago, Spac3 said:

Ammo: 7.62x54R

Magazine: 100 Round Belt in Box

15 hours ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Attachments: 

Bipod
Box Magazine
Optics
Buttstock

11 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Only problem I see is how terrible it would be to shoot that weapon with the current weapon sway and huge recoil it might have.

Which is answered by the fact that we've said no new weapons are being done on legacy anim/player!

• Like 4

Do you have some stats for us? :)
firing rate? recoil? or everything WIP?

Could it be possible that you need to lay down while shooting in cooperation with the new player controller/stamina system?

Chances of overheating barrel? :D 

Ohhh this weapon will be so powerful! Can't even imagine how funny it will be to bring down a horde of zombies in a big city with it. Or maybe just sitting somewhere and give your team support fire! I know DayZ is not a military game but firefights like these are so intense and I don't want to miss this opportunity in DayZ!

1. Will the PKM need to be assembled via parts found in the environment or will we find the gun itself laying around?
  2. Are there plans to have the PKM be affected a lot by the (future) weighting system? If so, how far can we expect to be able to move with it in hand?
  3. Will we be able to mount it to vehicles or possibly a tripod? :D
  4. This is more general than specific to the PKM itself, but, is there any chance that we will ever see different types of ammunition? For example, 5.56 AP, 5.56 HP, 9mm HP, .308 Incendiary, .308 APIT (armor piercing incendiary tracer)? I know the last one is extremely far fetched, but I would love to see ammunition types that in depth in DayZ!!

Will the bipod system work like the current one or more like it does in Arma 3?

1. Will we be able to mount western optics through the use of a NPZ mount? 

2. Will the 1P29 be added alongside the PKM for usage with other com-bloc weapons?

NPZ mount top, Alpha mount bottom.

AlphaMount_NPZMountLeft01.jpg

1P29 Optic.

1P29_RPK74M_Left.JPG

1P29 Optic reticule.

1P29_ReticuleSky.JPG

Edited by FeathersMcGraw