BeaverProductions

Is DayZ now a Survival Simulator? [0.61 discussion]

I will take a few minutes to discuss the recent changes to Energy depletion in the recent 0.61 patches and how you can be best prepared to meet the challenge and survive easily.

DayZ is going through some severe changes, one of which is the PVE progression.  We may be coming to a time where DayZ is no longer called a Running Simulator but a Survival Simulator.

A lot of people will hate the change, but you all knew it was coming.  Time to sharpen those fishing hooks and skinning knives...meat may be back on the menu as a necessity instead of a luxury.

Edited by BeaverProductions
  • Like 1

These are definitely different days in DayZ! KOS Bandits may lessen when groups find it hard to stay alive at all. . 

Hell, we may even seen groups of players holding others up, collecting them, and forcing them to farm for them in exchange for life haha

• Like 1

After they fixed the Apple Tree bug they really have to think about the % chance you getting an apple out of an tree, or a berrie out of an bush, or a rock out of the ground... in my opinion the chance is too damn low at the moment. MAybe if the chance getting an apple wouldnt be that rare maybe they would use the tree correctly instead of using the glitch, but who knows.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BeaverProductions said:

A lot of people will hate the change, but you all knew it was coming.  

LOLOLOLOL

Nooooooo.

People have been playing like DayZ will always play the same.

All of those people who "hate" changes that add survival mechanics have been kidding themselves the whole time while being assholes throughout this entire process.

The people who come to DayZ for PvP only usually burn out and find some reason to rage quit and go play Overwatch.

I can't wait for modding so they can all leave Vanilla DayZ for good and stop telling people you, "play DayZ", when you really just wanna play CoD on a Chernarus map with minimal looting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robde said:

After they fixed the Apple Tree bug they really have to think about the % chance you getting an apple out of an tree, or a berrie out of an bush, or a rock out of the ground... in my opinion the chance is too damn low at the moment. MAybe if the chance getting an apple wouldnt be that rare maybe they would use the tree correctly instead of using the glitch, but who knows.

The current fruit tree system is a placeholder. - It will become a World Container that you can walk up to and hit TAB to loot soon. (Rocks may as well, but not sure.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Espa said:

The current fruit tree system is a placeholder. - It will become a World Container that you can walk up to and hit TAB to loot soon. (Rocks may as well, but not sure.)

Wait what? really? i seem to missed that completly, thats cool

• Like 1

This is a Public Service Announcement:

If you haven't followed DayZ Alpha religiously since the standalone was released, you likely missed important information.

Thank you.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Espa said:

These are definitely different days in DayZ! KOS Bandits may lessen when groups find it hard to stay alive at all. . 

Hell, we may even seen groups of players holding others up, collecting them, and forcing them to farm for them in exchange for life haha

It will hopefully lead to so many more new interactions and scenarios.  Slave farmers sounds brilliant!  Coming upon people cowering in a house out the rain or cooking up food is becoming more regular.  Bumping into a team of fishermen and trading mackrel for bullets...the possibilities are amazing!

The current issue that is bugging me is that the vast majority of players are just spamming the apple glitch to survive.  A large chunk of the players I kill have stacks of apples on them.  I say disable apple trees and bump up the spawn rates of fishing hooks, rope, shovels, wire and seeds on the coast. There is absolutely no excuse for starving in this game over ignorance of the food generating mechanics (or laziness thinking you will find food soon).

Fail to prepare and prepare to fail!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, robde said:

There has been a few possibilities touted by the devs over the years

1. Apples will actually spawn on the trees.  You will have to look up and search all the apple trees in an orchard and loot them like normal loot.

2. World container idea as described by Espa

3. Once the character controller ad new animations are implemented, we may be able to hold down LMB next to a tree and it will search until we tell it to stop.

I see apple trees as your very last option when dealing with hunger.  If you prepare properly you should very rarely, if ever, have to use one.

5 minutes ago, BeaverProductions said:

-snip-

I'm with you! Or at least give apple trees a max of 3 apples each, some notifier that there are none left.

Of course I'd love the final solution and just make them world containers. 

35 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

LOLOLOLOL

Nooooooo.

People have been playing like DayZ will always play the same.

All of those people who "hate" changes that add survival mechanics have been kidding themselves the whole time while being assholes throughout this entire process.

The people who come to DayZ for PvP only usually burn out and find some reason to rage quit and go play Overwatch.

I can't wait for modding so they can all leave Vanilla DayZ for good and stop telling people you, "play DayZ", when you really just wanna play CoD on a Chernarus map with minimal looting.

With a sad heart I believe what you say is true.  We will shed a large part of the userbase as PVE gets harder and harder.

Modding will be their new home.  I will probably dabble in the mods but making the game a PVP fest gets boring really quickly for me.

1 hour ago, BeaverProductions said:

With a sad heart I believe what you say is true.  We will shed a large part of the userbase as PVE gets harder and harder.

Modding will be their new home.  I will probably dabble in the mods but making the game a PVP fest gets boring really quickly for me.

I don't think so, the user base will more than likely grow once the game starts to become more realistic in regards to survival (PvE), which will lead to better PvP. Additionally, with .61 you start to see a more polished Alpha, moving towards beta with some really cool features. It will be awesome to see bases/camps, farming, persistence and progression. Growing beards is a great idea, subtle progression that really does not give any advantage in game but it would still be cool get grow a beard and or be able to cut it. There are a lot of Walking Dead fans (zombie fans) out there that would love to actually see a polished zombie survival game.

• Like 1

Although the developers and creators of a game have obviously an idea and a wish in how their game should be played once released, it's important to remember that it is ultimately up to each individual player deciding in what manner they want to play and enjoy the game.

As I have stated in another post, there is no "right or wrong" way to play DayZ. 

Lone wolfs, socially minded players, KOS enthusiasts, super stealthy resource gatherers, bandits and heroes are all part of the DayZ universe. This is what makes DayZ unique.

The idea that DayZ must and should only be played in a particular way, and that those who KOS or have a run-and-gun play style are not "doing it the right way", is simply patronizing. DayZ is not a game of chess with fixed and unquestionable rules to obey.

Naturally, there are more suitable games for those who prefer high kill counts and continuous fast paced action, but this is once again a personal choice. The area in which DayZ takes place is large enough to include all sorts of players and play styles. Yes it might be irritating and frustrating for some "survival diehards" spending time gearing up their character just to get KOS by some guy who thinks he's playing COD or Battlefield but, after all that is part of the risk and uncertainty which makes DayZ so special.

You can shelter yourself from the rain, gather food and drink water to stay alive, run from or kill zombies and wolves, cure wounds and infections but the ultimate and deadliest threat to your survival will always be the other PLAYERS.

How boring, if this game was just played as "survivor simulator" or only as a run-and-gun shooter (the two extremes). Play in whatever way suits your style best, there is room for everybody!

Edited by Lexman61