Sign in to follow this  
TimF

Feedback on guns and ammo in 0.61

Hey all,

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on gun and ammo distribution in 0.61. I think my group of 4 probably has about 40-50 hours and several lives each in 0.61 so we've played a fair bit.

Our feeling in general is that ammo is way, way too scarce. I know DayZ is meant to be challenging and items scarce, and I love that, but finding ammo (and a magazine) for a gun is so difficult right now there's almost no point looking. Several times we have looted 3-4 towns completely as we move inland and maybe 1 of us will come out with a pistol we can chamber with a few rounds.

This makes for a very un-fun experience because we don't have any meaningful way to defend ourselves, hunt, help others, etc.My suggestion would be to roughly double, or more, the amount of small stacks of basic ammo spawning, like .380, .22 and 12ga. 9mm and .357 aren't too bad right now for volume but maybe would be better still with more common but smaller stacks. .308 needs to be 5x more common at least. Also, low tier pistols like the makarov and p1 should spawn with a magazine most of the time (an empty mag would be fine). As it is they are nearly useless, you can find an AUG and magazine more easily than you can find a p1 and magazine.

If there was a decent chance of finding ammo for low tier weapons, looting thoroughly would be much more fun. Finding 2 rounds here, 3 there and slowly building up would be cool, and people who took time to prepare rather than beelining straight to NWA to roll the dice would be rewarded. There would be a good sense of progression if you could get a basic weapon with ammo in the first hour or so of playing and then use it to help win rarer loot.

To be clear, I don't want to make it so everyone can just get enough guns to pvp in Elektro 24/7, just think it's reasonable to find enough ammo to have a chance of defending myself after an evening spent exploring.

Don't use experimental as a basis for how the game will be on stable.

Experimental has a handful of servers available all of which are full 90+% of the time. the amount of through traffic in all towns is ridiculously high.

Compare that to a stable release where a good 40% or more of the servers are less than half full the majority of the time and you'll find that the rarity of loot won't continue.

I agree though, a stack of 20 rounds should be a really rare spawn. If you find 5 in one go you should be happy.

8 hours ago, stinkenheim said:

Don't use experimental as a basis for how the game will be on stable.

Experimental has a handful of servers available all of which are full 90+% of the time. the amount of through traffic in all towns is ridiculously high.

I'm not assuming this is the final state, just giving feedback on the current iteration. There's always full servers somewhere so CLE should be able to take care of loot distribution even on high traffic servers.

Not to be 'that guy' but I've not been hurting too badly for ammunition. Tons of .22 and 12 gauge, fair bit of 9mm and .380, a little bit of 7.62xwhatever SKS ammo, .357 and .308, no 7.62xwhatever Mosin ammo though (though I met a guy who was carrying like 60 rounds so it is spawning).

As for magazines, I've only really found pistol mags, and not many I'll grant you. Think I found one or two Sporter and SMG mags, nothing else.

The amount of ammo seems okay - slightly more would be nice - but its distribution is silly, it always has been. I can search every house in a village, and only one will spawn ammo, but it'll spawn like a full stack. I go from having no ammo to having plenty. I'd much rather see lots of tiny stacks than a few big ones.

I'd also like to see a big increase in magazine spawns, but make it extremely unlikely that magazines will spawn with any ammo (so you can't just harvest ammo from them). Ammunition should be the main limiting factor, not magazines. It's frustrating having all the ammo in the world but having to just chamber your gun. I'd much rather have to conserve ammunition, but have relatively easy access to magazines.

I think the quantity of ammo is fine, today after 5 hours or so of playing I had plenty of it,  I just have been in Electro, Staroye, Msta and Shakhovka, I ended with 2 boxes of 9mm, 2 boxes of .380, 1 box of ACP, 2 boxes of 4.45, 2 boxes of 3.08 Winchester, 2 Gauge Buckshot and a 15Rnd Mag for the PM74 RAK. 

As for weapons I ended with one 1911 with one mag, one LongHorn and one Blaze 95, I found plenty more weapons that I dropped or didn't take, MP-133 Shotgun, IZH-43 Shotgun, PM73RAK, SKS, IZH 18 Rifle and a Repeater and 3 or 4 pistols.

I stored some weapons in a barrel in experimental but the barrel was gone when I rejoined the server a few hours later, I guess I was playing in one of the Exp servers with the persistence off.

I think if you are able to store ammo and weapons and there is bikes, motorbikes and cars there will not take so much time going to your camp for storing things, when all of this works fine I would like to see the quantity of ammo and weapons reduced even more.

Edited by Wili

On 12/10/2016 at 9:42 PM, BeefBacon said:

Not to be 'that guy' but I've not been hurting too badly for ammunition. Tons of .22 and 12 gauge, fair bit of 9mm and .380, a little bit of 7.62xwhatever SKS ammo, .357 and .308, no 7.62xwhatever Mosin ammo though (though I met a guy who was carrying like 60 rounds so it is spawning).

As for magazines, I've only really found pistol mags, and not many I'll grant you. Think I found one or two Sporter and SMG mags, nothing else.

The amount of ammo seems okay - slightly more would be nice - but its distribution is silly, it always has been. I can search every house in a village, and only one will spawn ammo, but it'll spawn like a full stack. I go from having no ammo to having plenty. I'd much rather see lots of tiny stacks than a few big ones.

I'd also like to see a big increase in magazine spawns, but make it extremely unlikely that magazines will spawn with any ammo (so you can't just harvest ammo from them). Ammunition should be the main limiting factor, not magazines. It's frustrating having all the ammo in the world but having to just chamber your gun. I'd much rather have to conserve ammunition, but have relatively easy access to magazines.

I agree, i am ok with this ammo, and weapons. However seeing as everyone with enough sense will rush to all military places when the server is up on experimental just to get that fully decked out m4, ak rifle fully able to kill anything and anyone around.

I would rather it be somewhat different, reduce the military to 10%, and increase the civ towns with 30% more loot, south or north, north being 50% higher normal drops.

I would also like to have the south fully scattered with spawn locations, not locked to one general location. It maybe the way things are atm, not sure for testing purposes.

Ammo, guns, full military rewards are very high for those that get the perfect spawn. Kill yourself until you get the perfect spawn. Then grief the shit out of everyone of us, trying to search for items or testing.

So open up the ammo more for civ and weapons around, allow people to defend themselves, but for gawd sakes stop the rush to the military zones just to get all the loot. This isnt king of the hill is it?

because .61 exp feels like king of the hill every day.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more ammo spawns if there was less bullets in those spawns. Right now if you find a box or pile of ammo you're set for a bit. I would like to see ammo spawning in piles of maybe 1-4 bullets.

Change suppressors lifespan, modern hig pressure caliber suppressors do not need  clean. Quote from a arms forum.  http://forum.snipershide.info/showthread.php?t=101855

" I have easily 8K rounds through my SureFire 212 this year alone on a 10.5 LWRC with no issues.I also shoot this suppressor on a host of other weapons and that would attribute to at least 2-3K more rounds this year alone and I have had this same suppressor since 2009. I just talked to a guy last week that he estimated in 5 years put over 100K rounds through his SureFire on a 14.5 M4 and he had no issues other than having to clean the mating surfaces."  

Surefire suppressors

FA556-212_xlarge_24466.png

Quote of Suppressors article from http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/03/18/should-you-clean-your-suppressor/

"Patrick goes on to explain that most suppressors do not need to be cleaned and do not use aggressive solvents as some of them can attack metal.

The suppressors that do not need to be cleaned are typically the high pressure calibers. They are almost always sealed units from the manufacturer.

Patrick explains that shooting high pressure factory ammo will pretty much heat up and burn most carbon and self clean the suppressor. The photograph below is a cross section of a 5.56 suppressor with an extremely high round count.Reportedly it has had 148000 round through it. It never needed cleaning." 

Suppressor_Cleaning_F.jpg

Now there is an exception. If you shoot .22LR through your 5.56 suppressor. Some occasional roundsthrough the can is ok. But shooting an entire brick through the can is not advised. If you limit the amount of .22LR through your sealed can, then you can just go back to shooting 5.56 to clean out the lead deposits.

Suppressor_Cleaning_1.jpg

Edited by kataro