Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.136593

11 minutes ago, plasteek said:

Now that players seem to be spread out a bit more (good), I wonder if there's any chance of them throwing up a 100-player server soon just to see what blows up?  *wink* *nudge*

Once they normalize server lag and stuff, I don't think it'll be farfetched that it'll happen! But I think they'll build upon the map a bit as well to offset the clumping up that may occur. 

Personally, I love the Infected and Wolves as is, besides the annoying pushing the Infected do when they're around you. Both threats are immediate and not easy to get away from, and in the wrong surroundings, you are DEAD. For that simple reason alone, I hope they do not change this. - I'm sure the Wolves should be able to take less of a beating, but the damage they do is absolutely lethal. A person facing a pack of wolves SHOULD die if they aren't immediately prepared for a deathly battle or can somehow get away through a building.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a threat be like the movie Tremors, where getting onto a rock or up a ladder can only prolong the attack. 

With that said, I think Flares, Flareguns, Torches, or Campfires should cause Wolves to flee from you at least 75 meters. 

Edited by Espa

So, Ive been trying to fish but the hooks dont seem to attach to the fishing rod. I tried both the bone hook and the looted hook. Additionally, the pick axe wont let me dig for worms, and after dropping it I can pick it back up, but its invisible, and remains on the ground(I can dig garden plots when it is like this, but cant swing it, nor take it out of my hands except with using hotkeys to change weapons). When I change to a rifle, my arms become mutilated. Anyone else have these issues or just me?

9 minutes ago, KingOfTime said:

So, Ive been trying to fish but the hooks dont seem to attach to the fishing rod. I tried both the bone hook and the looted hook. 

I haven't tried fishing in this experimental but iirc you need to put bait on the hook before it can be attached to the rod.   Also, iirc only on certain textures can you specifically dig for worms - maybe it's the grass texture?  Sometimes digging a garden plot will give you worms.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KingOfTime said:

So, Ive been trying to fish but the hooks dont seem to attach to the fishing rod. I tried both the bone hook and the looted hook. Additionally, the pick axe wont let me dig for worms, and after dropping it I can pick it back up, but its invisible, and remains on the ground(I can dig garden plots when it is like this, but cant swing it, nor take it out of my hands except with using hotkeys to change weapons). When I change to a rifle, my arms become mutilated. Anyone else have these issues or just me?

You can fix your aberrant arms by pressing F2, throwing an item, or logging out; try them in that order to make sure you don't do anything more than is necessary to fix it.

Gary was correct that you need to add worms to the hooks before they can be attached to the fishing rod, and that they can be dug up from the grassy textured ground. You can dig for worms with an ice axe, and most knives.

I use my old improvised knife to dig for worms, because I always make a new one before fishing to make sure my first four cuts are above 90%.  If you use a damaged knife to prepare meat, you are wasting your time.  A freshly made improvised stone knife will always give you the best cuts, because looted knives rarely spawn 100% pristine.

• Like 5

Infected still don't seem as dangerous as the infected in the mod versions I played IMO.

I want them to have real one punch knock out power if they catch you just right.

I would love to see very in-depth hit box refinements paired with a solid new player controller and then we'll see what potential melee in DayZ truly has.

As for wolves, we can try to talk about authenticity all we want but at the end of the day we're still talking about a virtual world that needs to be fun because it's part of a game.

I agree that packs of wolves, on that size map, with that many other animals to hunt, would likely avoid humans as food until nearly starving. Humans with modern force protection are apex predators as well and should feasibly take down bear, wolves, and less with regulatory. Humans without overwhelming force protection would be more likely to be attacked but would still be in the minority.

Now when beta happens, we'll see balancing and mods, and maybe even levels of vanilla difficulty that will smack more of authenticity.

For now we need data sets, and feedback, and..... you wanna fuck with wolves don't you, WOLVES.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Infected still don't seem as dangerous as the infected in the mod versions I played IMO.

I want them to have real one punch knock out power if they catch you just right.

I think they'll eventually have the ability to 'Grab' you or slow you down when they tear at you - So I think there damage may be okay at this time, as long as their speed remains roughly as fast as players. They already scare me xD 

28 minutes ago, Espa said:

I think they'll eventually have the ability to 'Grab' you or slow you down when they tear at you - So I think there damage may be okay at this time, as long as their speed remains roughly as fast as players. They already scare me xD 

Yeah, speed, stamina, weight, will have further impact but a lot of people can knock you out with a lucky or well placed punch too. AI is going to be predictable in some way once you learn their behavior patterns so I think deadliness will balance that best.

I still haven't died to infected in so long, I feel like it's been since the mod. Fight smarter not harder....

8 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

-snip-

All of those things AND if they add different behavioral patterns to the Infected, I still think it'd be better than a 'One-Hit kill'. Stalking and hunting behaviors with a slight increase to damage - Maybe make them 2/3 strong as Wolves. 

Also, I totally think the player punches will be scaled down so that people can endure a bit more. . Or at least I hope so haha

1 hour ago, Espa said:

All of those things AND if they add different behavioral patterns to the Infected, I still think it'd be better than a 'One-Hit kill'. Stalking and hunting behaviors with a slight increase to damage - Maybe make them 2/3 strong as Wolves. 

Also, I totally think the player punches will be scaled down so that people can endure a bit more. . Or at least I hope so haha

I think they should have a CHANCE to knock you out in all melee situations and a remote one but I think it should be there like an X factor that keeps the intensity of melee up. In the mod if they land a strong blow that knocks you down, you woke up to being eaten alive in black and white!

Infected should always be kept at a distance. You cannot catch their infection but they are filthy and I believe in the future (as in past builds) can pass other infections when you are hit by them. Their brute strength should be avoided as well with the chance of a crippling blow being dealt by an attack landing in an extra vulnerable area.

I can knock you out long before I'll beat you to death....

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

You can fix your aberrant arms by pressing F2, throwing an item, or logging out; try them in that order to make sure you don't do anything more than is necessary to fix it.

Gary was correct that you need to add worms to the hooks before they can be attached to the fishing rod, and that they can be dug up from the grassy textured ground. You can dig for worms with an ice axe, and most knives.

I use my old improvised knife to dig for worms, because I always make a new one before fishing to make sure my first four cuts are above 90%.  If you use a damaged knife to prepare meat, you are wasting your time.  A freshly made improvised stone knife will always give you the best cuts, because looted knives rarely spawn 100% pristine.

I knew how to fix my arms, did not know I had to put the worms on the hook first, but I suspected it. Perhaps it was just due to ping that I couldnt get worms, I tried multiple tools, but actions were taking forever, and I wasnt getting  prompt. idk, will confirm if it was lag or my incompetence later.

edit: I should add that I tried using an improvised knife but it didnt work. Perhaps the grass I was trying to use to get worms wasnt actually grass.

edit 2: Confirmed, grass wasnt grass. Probably too close to the woods.

Edited by KingOfTime

6 minutes ago, KingOfTime said:

I should add that I tried using an improvised knife but it didnt work. Perhaps the grass I was trying to use to get worms wasnt actually grass.

I used an improvised knife for worms today and it worked, I did it at the Electro beach next to the water, then I tried to catch some fish in the sea, the message "you catch the fish" appeared twice but the fish didn't appeared in my bag pack.

6 minutes ago, Wili said:

I used an improvised knife for worms today and it worked, I did it at the Electro beach next to the water, then I tried to catch some fish in the sea, the message "you catch the fish" appeared twice but the fish didn't appeared in my bag pack.

Cool that you were able to do it at least, last time I tried I got all ready to be a hermit on the skalisty and I died a little when it wouldnt let me fish.

4 minutes ago, KingOfTime said:

Cool that you were able to do it at least, last time I tried I got all ready to be a hermit on the skalisty and I died a little when it wouldnt let me fish.

Well at the end I got no real fish, just the message that I got fish :P

I have planted a garden just after it rained and did not need anymore water to get the plants going. Ya need water if the ground is dry.

Big difference between running around with crap gear and finding a rain coat! Until you get some Gorka, far as I have seen only rain coat and gorka keep you from getting drenched and die from hypothermia, when it is raining.

Right now there are so many infected that I can only get into a town using a 22 pistol or glock with silencer to get close and head shot the zombies and slowly pick my way through town hoping for better gear and more 22 and 9mm rounds. Once I pull out the shotgun or 357 and start blasting away, it's a 3 mile run and turn and stand ground against all the zombies still chasing me.

Players keep running up to me saying "Hiya buddy, got any food, how's it going?" then trying to kill me with a knife or hammer or stick or fists. Without the bad lag, I can whip out my 357 pretty fast and blam blam blam, then start running because 10 zombies are gonna chase me for 3 miles. Why can't they just eat him? Also, when my friend gets a nasty bite from a zombie, why doesn't he turn after an hour and attack me when we are looking through the can food storage tent and it's dark and suddenly the flashlight goes out and "Slurp Arrrrgh Brains!"

Edited by Excanto
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wili said:

Well at the end I got no real fish, just the message that I got fish :P

What method and tool were you using to fish?

10 hours ago, plasteek said:

Now that players seem to be spread out a bit more (good), I wonder if there's any chance of them throwing up a 100-player server soon just to see what blows up?  *wink* *nudge*

Yes true and with this map scale - it have no issue to support twice as many players like 100 players, but with the server performance in 0.61 it need to wait until they start to polish and optimize the game. 

I tried a bit of fishing after Wili's post.  Made an improvised rod, made a chicken bone hook, dug some worms and went to that pond in the valley east of Belaya Polana.

Started fishing and checked my bait about 30 times with randomly timed checks, sometimes in quick succession and other times after a minute-or-so delay.  Not a single bite!  I did notice something else though:  After pulling the bait out of the water (with the accompanying animation) when I walked to go to another spot on the same pond I would get a notification in red "You have moved and pulled the bait out of the water.".  Since I manually pulled the bait out of the water intentionally beforehand I was not expecting to see this.  Four times this happened and was quite easy to reproduce - just "pull out bait" then walk away.  I even put the fishing rod in my inventory then walked away and still got the message.

Just wondering if anyone has successfully caught any fish in a pond this patch on an improvised rod?  Or if anyone is experiencing something similar while fishing.  Don't want to file a ticket if it's just a known desync thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ori42 said:

Yes true and with this map scale - it have no issue to support twice as many players like 100 players, but with the server performance in 0.61 it need to wait until they start to polish and optimize the game. 

I think I disagree that they would need to "polish and optimize" before throwing up a 100-man server just to get some results.  They've done it a few times already.

Edited by plasteek

1 hour ago, GaryWalnuts said:

I tried a bit of fishing after Wili's post.  Made an improvised rod, made a chicken bone hook, dug some worms and went to that pond in the valley east of Belaya Polana.

Started fishing and checked my bait about 30 times with randomly timed checks, sometimes in quick succession and other times after a minute-or-so delay.  Not a single bite!  I did notice something else though:  After pulling the bait out of the water (with the accompanying animation) when I walked to go to another spot on the same pond I would get a notification in red "You have moved and pulled the bait out of the water.".  Since I manually pulled the bait out of the water intentionally beforehand I was not expecting to see this.  Four times this happened and was quite easy to reproduce - just "pull out bait" then walk away.  I even put the fishing rod in my inventory then walked away and still got the message.

Just wondering if anyone has successfully caught any fish in a pond this patch on an improvised rod?  Or if anyone is experiencing something similar while fishing.  Don't want to file a ticket if it's just a known desync thing.

I will have a go at it and post back my results.

• Like 1

Since I was still fishing-equipped and nearby the pond I decided to try again.  And got the same results as last night (on a different server).

Below is the series of events, as you can see in the last pic.  Manually pulling the bait out of the water didn't register until I backed away from the water.

BVFhGac.jpg

27Yamge.jpg

OhjOZEo.jpg

xIPUsX1.jpg

Berezhiki isn't far so maybe if I can find the fishing rod, I'll try that - and maybe a metal fishing hook could be another variable to test.

Edited by GaryWalnuts
stuff
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Wili said:

I believe this maybe related to an arma error code. Msg system they had in place, if you call it i think it would bring 2x the msg's back. I am not 100% sure rumours but if it is true, that would mean.

BIS_fnc_showNotification

Somewhere it is being passed, but loops to repeat the text. It may have changed for this specific game, but in general the coding maybe the same.

9 hours ago, emuthreat said:

What method and tool were you using to fish?

31 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

I believe this maybe related to an arma error code. Msg system they had in place, if you call it i think it would bring 2x the msg's back. I am not 100% sure rumours but if it is true, that would mean.

BIS_fnc_showNotification

Somewhere it is being passed, but loops to repeat the text. It may have changed for this specific game, but in general the coding maybe the same.

I used a Fishing Rod I found near a wooden boat, attached some worms to it, and went to Electro's beach, I didn't tried in a pond.

The fishing was going as normal, "there is some movement near the bait" and then a red message "Something has just bit the bait", then I pulled out and "I have caught the fish!" message appeared but I got no fish in my inventory. Then I tried again with the same result. 

The two "I have caught the fish!" messages weren't consecutive, I got one message the first try and another the second try.

14 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I agree that packs of wolves, on that size map, with that many other animals to hunt, would likely avoid humans as food until nearly starving.

What about territory control? Isn't that a reason for wolves to attack people? Personally I would love to see wolves that are fast and extremely dangerous, but also cautious and scared of gunshots, so maybe the biggest issue would be pulling out your gun in time or deciding to expend that ammo early enough to not have a messy situation lol. This would add paranoia while building a fire in the woods or splinting and eating up next to a tree.

• Like 1

played maybe two hours yesterday but today dayz x64 refused to start.
when im launching x64 little box comes up and it says:

data file too short addons/asset/misc.pbo expected 469762085 b got 116736585 b

?