Sign in to follow this  
JBURNS489

Add in a Benchmark

I dont expect anything like this soon, but I would love to see a built in benchmarking feature, similar to GTA. I know it probably wouldn't even be on the Dev's radar until late beta, maybe even possibly post 1.0. But, I just got a new graphics card (msi 1070) and while I definitely notice an improvement on performance, it would be great to know exactly how much. It would also help to figure out what graphical settings to use for best overall peformance. I like to turn on as much eye candy as possible while staying above 60fps. 

EDIT: it would also show off the peformance of the shiny new renderer :)

Edited by JBURNS489

Yes it's probably gonna be on version 1.1 or something even i doubt a bit, atleast very MANY people will request it. You can always benchmark it yourself, just run a same path from pure plain to big city for 5mins and its enough, then do same on different rig or ask a friend to do same run on same wather/time if you want to compare. Then calculate lowest/highest and average fps.

Edited by Exaco

They could start off by showing the player in a place where you can see plenty of detail and features, and can check shadow and grass distance.

Moving the video settings in the upper corner / centre allows players to tune the graphics settings and instantly see the effects.

I think a benchmark would be great for alpha too. They could use it to test different specs under a controlled circumstance with varying intensity. Could be useful.

2 hours ago, Exaco said:

Yes it's probably gonna be on version 1.1 or something even i doubt a bit, atleast very MANY people will request it. You can always benchmark it yourself, just run a same path from pure plain to big city for 5mins and its enough, then do same on different rig or ask a friend to do same run on same wather/time if you want to compare. Then calculate lowest/highest and average fps.

Yeah that is what I have been doing, but it isn't a fair comparison at the moment. Your FPS can vary depending on a lot of factors, which is why I would like a standardized benchmark. Your FPS could vary depending on amount of time a server is up, how many players are logged in, how many players are near you, what you look at (sea vs city), your ping to the server, how much loot is in the area you're running through etc...Benchmarks done on our own give us an idea, but nowhere close to what I would call reproducible or accurate enough to say, "use these settings for this amount of fps on this type of system" There is no point in making a benchmark feature now though, because there is so much change happening and your FPS will vary greatly depending on which build you are playing. Best to wait until it's near a final release and make one for sure. I just hadn't seen a suggestion for this yet, and wanted to make sure I threw in my two cents :)