Sign in to follow this  
ShallowTech

32 vs. 64...

Is the 64bit a new option? I have never been prompted for this before and did not know it would be available. I have been messing around with DayZ on my laptop when I am not at home, typically the fans on it scream because of the heat, which I thought was being caused by the GPU. However, when I launch 64bit, the fans stay quite, is this because it is using multi-processing/multi-threading and run more efficiently?

8 minutes ago, Zing Freelancer said:

Dayz is still a 32 bit game.

There is a 64 bit client, on exp.

Right click launch in x64. I am trying to look and see what resources it is using. So far so good, enfusion is liking it.

• Like 2

Fair enough, not using exp atm and 0.60 is 32 bit as far my knowledge goes.

For starters, 1 bit can be either 0 or 1. A 32 bit application can run on a 64 bit cpu, while a 64 bit application cant run on 32 bit cpu. CPU does not care if application is 32bit or 64, it will process everything in the same way. But in case of 32 bit, it will fill out remaining 32 bits with 0.

Think of a road that got two lanes in the same direction, if you are only allowed to use a single lane during morning rush, there will be hell. Using both lanes you may be able to process all of traffic in a timely manner. Same logic can be applied to 32bit vs 64bit applications, using 32bit application on 64bit CPU is like cramming all of morning rush traffic into single lane. In other words, 32bit application will require significantly greater amount of operations from CPU compared to 64bit application when it comes to handling equal amounts of data.

Now that is only the bits stuff, they could have made changes to how game handles multi-threading and utilising your CPU cores. But I let more knowledgeable people comment on that matter :)

32bit on .60 is great, 32bit on latest exp build is great 175 fps....

x64 bit on exp current build is nice, and what Brian Hicks posted was to test the x64 for crashes. I think we might be really well off with this version.

Yeah this is nice, man the 64bit runs a lot better on my laptop... my fans were maxing out RPM's before, now I barely hear them running! Awesome! Love to see this type of progression, gets me all excited! I can't wait to try this out on my desktop!

45 minutes in on x64 and I am seeing tremendous gains for my set up...  as I am running this game on a workstation that is capable but not the most ideal for gaming...   I play on a Xeon X5680 powered workstation that has 24gb of ECC (yuck) ram

On normal settings I was getting 30-35 FPS with some stuttering under tremendous load in Elektro/Cherno on normal x32

So far running through Elektro with a lot of zombie aggro/killing  I'm staying above 60+ fps with one very minor stutter  Server restarted a minute ago and I made it to Prig.  About to check Cherno.