Sign in to follow this  
LetsInvadeBohemia

Is this game worth it?

Hey guys, I am a relatively new to Bohemia Interactive. I've been watching the game Dayz for months, and decided to try out Minidayz a few months ago. To be honest, I found the game to be kind of frustrating. All that would happen is I would either 1) Get to close to one of those track star zombies, who would run next to me and I would fall down dead, or 2) Try to be friendly to a player, who would kill me after a random amount of time, even after I offered to share what I had with him.
So I've kinda lost a lot of interest in Minidayz, which I assume is like actual dayz. And everywhere I read what others have to say about Dayz, I see people complaining about bugs, bandits, and slow development time. At this point, do you consider Dayz worth buying? I don't want to spend my money, only to be greatly disappointed.

stable version is playable but it lags some critical features to get that survive feeling...no zombies(few) and weather is really not danger to you.experimental version is for now unplayable.

what answer do you wish?

yes/no/maybe?

sorry, thats your problem, not mine ;)

i have nearly 2000 hours ingame and bought it at release day, there is only one other game that i played nearly this much time (CIV5)

100% worth it, I have 996 hours of gameplay and think that is incredible considering I paid < £20. It is the most social and at the same time heart racing game I have ever played.

39 minutes ago, kopo79 said:

stable version is playable but it lags some critical features to get that survive feeling...no zombies(few) and weather is really not danger to you.experimental version is for now unplayable.

Well actually they rolled EXP back to last Thursday's stable build again while they work on data collected from the last two extra crashy patches.

Experience inhospitable weather, significant infected quantities, and some big map changes while they sort it out for stable. 

• Like 2

I would say it is worth it. Hopefully it goes on sale and I will be gift to a friend so he can play as well. When it was first released it was lacking a lot of features, however the recent development has shown some amazing progress and promise for the game. If you like this type of genre, it is probably one of the best zombie/survival games around and with the new builds, it is looking really good. I play experimental and love it!

36 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

Well actually they rolled EXP back to last Thursday's stable build again while they work on data collected from the last two extra crashy patches.

Experience inhospitable weather, significant infected quantities, and some big map changes while they sort it out for stable. 

yeah but i dont recommend experimental...there is some bugs what makes gameplay annoying...examble player characters status is sometimes bugged(dripping blood effect without status information,)...problems with fireplaces,naked players,barrels not persistant(this im not sure because just cannot find dam barrels to test)....few server crashes here and there,suddendly stuttering what for my opinion is related to the dynamic zombie spawn....yeah there is more bugs what i cant really remember but stable is sometimes quite enjoyable to play...if not more but training the basics of the game....and of course experimental if you like solve problems.
and can someone else try to make fires in those ovens in houses because i have two times today suffered game crashing after starting the fire.my pc just get totally jammed...(or then my pc is just crap:).....)

Alpha, so many things are not finished. The game will become what we make of it in the end. What you may see is vanilla, and modders will take it to the next level if requested.

8 minutes ago, kopo79 said:

yeah but i dont recommend experimental...there is some bugs what makes gameplay annoying...examble player characters status is sometimes bugged(dripping blood effect without status information,)...problems with fireplaces,naked players,barrels not persistant(this im not sure because just cannot find dam barrels to test)....few server crashes here and there,suddendly stuttering what for my opinion is related to the dynamic zombie spawn....yeah there is more bugs what i cant really remember but stable is sometimes quite enjoyable to play...if not more but training the basics of the game....and of course experimental if you like solve problems.
and can someone else try to make fires in those ovens in houses because i have two times today suffered game crashing after starting the fire.my pc just get totally jammed...(or then my pc is just crap:).....)

Oh, you said EXP was unplayable.

I think stable is a giant piece of shit right now but I could still play it if I wanted to, poor choice of words maybe?

• Like 1

Dayz worth it, if you look for a survival game as similar as life would be, in apocalypse situation (in this case, zombies infection).

Dayz is hard, and must be considered as a simulation.

Did U see "The walking dead" TV serie ?

Dayz will permit you to live a similar experience.

The best experience of this game is to play on 1pp private server (some call that "hardcore", but dayz was thought and made to be hardcore).

Do not pay attention to twitchers or youtubers. Their goal is to be seen by the most. And the most want to see action. IRL, do you think the survivors will run everywhere, without taking care of their security and with a drone over the head ?

If, in Dayz, you do what you would do IRL ... you will have the best experience of this game.

Of course this game is "in progress" (in development) , and some bugs are far away from reality. You have to know and accept it, before trying this adventure.

• Like 2

Hmm, it's a tough question as it all comes down to a matter of taste. I really enjoy the post-apocalypse survival genre, make it zombies, aliens or robots. (Sadly there's not enough alien or robots/AI post apocalypse games out there...) but I have to admit that after trying out so many survival games, I seem to always come back to DayZ. It's by far one of my favorite games. 

Now clocked at 2125 hours in-game, I'd say it's totally worth it. At least half of this play time was in experimental, as I love to try out new things and test new mechanics and report findings. Yes, there are bugs, but stable in 0.60 is horrible imo with terrible desync,duping, glitcher, hackers, etc. while personally I only had good experiences with experimental 0.61.

When I play on stable, it's 100% of the time on private hive servers like the DayZ Colony US-2, DayZ Underground US or EU servers or the Gents Of Novo server.

Currently, even though I really enjoy DayZ, I wouldn't call it a "game" per say, as it's still a work in progress and will change a lot once we get the new player controller, new animations, new vehicles, completed and reworked graphics plus sound engines, etc.

But, that' doesn't mean you can't have fun while testing it out.

Welcome to DayZ! And safe travels survivor! Cheers!

9 minutes ago, Solus Lupus said:

Dayz worth it, if you look for a survival game as similar as life would be, in apocalypse situation (in this case, zombies infection).

Dayz is hard, and must be considered as a simulation.

Did U see "The walking dead" TV serie ?

Dayz will permit you to live a similar experience.

The best experience of this game is to play on 1pp private server (some call that "hardcore", but dayz was thought and made to be hardcore).

Do not pay attention to twitchers or youtubers. Their goal is to be seen by the most. And the most want to see action. IRL, do you think the survivors will run everywhere, without taking care of their security and with a drone over the head ?

If, in Dayz, you do what you would do IRL ... you will have the best experience of this game.

Of course this game is "in progress" (in development) , and some bugs are far away from reality. You have to know and accept it, before trying this adventure.

all i can say...i love what you wrote, thank you

there is no other game out there which give you that "kick"...

Edited by wasnu
  • Like 1

I bought two copies for the EA discount confident in getting a 5-10 year sandbox to dick around in if vanilla isn't my cup of tea, don't forget BI's awesome editing and modding support.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

I bought two copies for the EA discount confident in getting a 5-10 year sandbox to dick around in if vanilla isn't my cup of tea, don't forget BI's awesome editing and modding support.

same here, my daughter (8years old) looked everytime over my shoulder and said... daddy i want to play that game to and with you on my side.

so, she got an steam acc and i bought her dayz, could take some years before she is able and old enough for that game, but hey....game is in her library :)

(and her chars are my mules until she is ready to play it)

6 minutes ago, wasnu said:

same here, my daughter (8years old) looked everytime over my shoulder and said... daddy i want to play that game to and with you on my side.

so, she got an steam acc and i bought her dayz, could take some years before she is able and old enough for that game, but hey....game is in her library :)

(and her chars are my mules until she is ready to play it)

Seems like a lifetime ago bouncing a baby boy on my lap at my desk playing the latest and greatest car action shooter game.

One of his first sentences...

"Dad, can I play the game where Barack Obama steals cars?" 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BCBasher said:

"Dad, can I play the game where Barack Obama steals cars?" 

Holy shit that is funny!

okei....got to take few words back...experimental is also playable....but dont go making fires in ovens....

Thanks for all the feedback guys :) One of my biggest concerns is will they ever finish the game? I don't know if the bugs and glitches would get old if it is another 5 years or so before they finish it...

Just buy on steam,  try out the game and refund if you don't enjoy. 

Personally I love the game.  Bought 4 weeks ago and have nearly 80 hours. 

On 12/9/2016 at 9:08 AM, LetsInvadeBohemia said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys :) One of my biggest concerns is will they ever finish the game? I don't know if the bugs and glitches would get old if it is another 5 years or so before they finish it...

The Enfusion engine and script they're building DayZ on is going to run their flagship ArmA's next version. 

Yes they'll finish DayZ and it's going to be awesome, it will never be "done" and continue to grow for 5-10 years after release. 

• Like 1

Is this game worth it? First of all, we all know that DayZ is still in development and it's currently in alpha-stage. Yet, I have about 1.300 hours of playtime at the moment. I purchased this game at the 26th of march 2015. This would mean I have played DayZ about 2 hours each day over the past 627 days which isn't all that bad.

Each new patch brings new things and joys for me and I still love the game. Although the game gets a bit stale at some point but that's when I take my breaks and wait for new content or at least Experimental which is always a bit more interesting than Stable in my opinion. Hopefully the endgame won't get stale after a while because at the moment, if you've established a camp with multiple duplicates of items with some other players there isn't really much to do after that.

It was clearly visible that our group all stopped playing around the same time and occasionally play a bit but really returning back to DayZ this Experimental patch.

I definitely recommend DayZ, even in it's current state or stage. If the game genre suits you then you're going to have a lot of fun and probably a lot of hours. I have to say that I started to like DayZ even more when I started to play with other people. But on your own the game can still be fun and will lower your life expectancy by a few years when someone suddenly scares the crap out of you. Encounters with other players in this game is of a whole different level than other games. When things get hairy, your adrenaline will rise, your heartbeat will rise, your temperature goes up, etc. And somehow, that's the thing what keeps me playing. Getting in-game and not knowing what's going to be ahead is great.

This game is also perfect for roleplaying if that's your thing. I haven't tested roleplaying yet but with the reintroduction of infected, I will probably give it a shot when this hits stable.

So my conclusion: yes, buy the game, it is most certainly worth your money. Before you learned the game and the map a bit you already played numerous of hours and already got your money worth by then.

I must warn you though: don't buy the game if you expect a PvP shooter. The game is a sandbox game, you decide how you live "your life" and various factors decide a possible outcome of that life.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1