Zing Freelancer

First Aid Kit storage capacity

9 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

As we are condemned to one or another gaming choice, I say I'm fine with extra slots which represent smart packing. Otherwise, there's no need for containers, period.

Your smart packed containers have walls, so a item of 2 x 3 storage capacity would in fact be bigger than 2 x 3 slots because of that. 

1 hour ago, General Zod said:

Your smart packed containers have walls, so a item of 2 x 3 storage capacity would in fact be bigger than 2 x 3 slots because of that. 

Well, I'm just saying that the extra slots do not break my immersion. if they break yours, that's still an issue to discuss and consider. Guess the FA kit would have to go if more people express similar concerns as you do.

We use containers to help us organise our bags. In real life we put socks and underwear into separated bags and put our bathroom stuff into a special bag to keep everything neat and tidy. If we just tossed everything into a suitcase, without containers, we would get more value out of available space, that's for sure. But that is not in human nature, we like our shit properly organised, we like having control over that.

This is not an issue in dayz, we got user interface that help us organise everything however we like. So the need for a container is significantly diminished, both first aid, protector containers and ammo boxes have little to no value when it comes to organising your inventory. I would go as far as to claim that they obstruct fluent use of inventory UI by forcing you to take extra actions to view their content.

Taking realism out of the question for now, what is the purpose of storage containers?

Cooking pot can store items and water at the same item, so that one is obviously useful.

Protector container? Only useful in keeping your items from being ruined when you get shot at or handing those items over to the people who shot you?

Ammo box? Not like you can store more ammo in it than thing.

Water proof bag? Yet, its a thing that keeps your stuff dry, given it is actually working.

First aid kit? I might as well put my medical supplies into a cooking pot, put the pot into my pants and have 2 slots to spare.

I've always assumed extra slots in containers, like med pack, will make it back in the future.  I think Peter once gave his thoughts on these small items like keys. I think they took it out because there was too many exploits.

This thread had plenty of discussion on the subject https://forums.dayz.com/topic/226616-wip-inventory-sneak-peek/?page=1

Edited by Coheed_IV

3 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Well, I'm just saying that the extra slots do not break my immersion. if they break yours, that's still an issue to discuss and consider. Guess the FA kit would have to go if more people express similar concerns as you do.

Didn't know this forums is a place where we the people get to vote in what we add to the game and devs have to do it. 

Edited by General Zod

3 hours ago, General Zod said:

Didn't know this forums is a place where we the people get to vote in what we add to the game and devs have to do it. 

In a way it is.  Having such an long-running open alpha has allowed for a concurrent approach to development, in the way that features can be imagined, introduced, tested and tweaked, or completely removed, based on how they work out in the public's hands.

There is even an entire section on these forums dedicated to suggestions.

On 6.12.2016 at 11:50 AM, General Zod said:

No, you must manage your space not have two extra magic slots. 

7 hours ago, General Zod said:

1 hour ago, General Zod said:

Suggestions not requests. 

Jesus Christ, what is it with you in particular and with this forum in general? Do they give spare ammo for snarky, snide remarks that are supposed to score you a conversation win but are really just plain annoying? Can't we exchange info and comments without passive-agressive "zingers" which really contribute less than zed grunts?

I tried to acknowledge that we have different immersion expectations and you bit me like I was stupid for doing so. :/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coheed_IV said:

I've always assumed extra slots in containers, like med pack, will make it back in the future.  I think Peter once gave his thoughts on these small items like keys. I think they took it out because there was too many exploits.

This thread had plenty of discussion on the subject https://forums.dayz.com/topic/226616-wip-inventory-sneak-peek/?page=1

It's my impression that if the containers are still around, they're gonna be made useful one day (i.e. likely provide more slots than take). This is really not a problem here - we can just picture a regular backpack as "things randomly thrown in there" and containers as "neatly packed and organized". Everyone knows what difference it makes to prepare your clothes when packing a suitcase instead of just throwing them in. You can probably double the use area when you are careful with it.

It's not magic, it's "that little free space between stuff". Imagine 'pouring down' a bucket of ammo into your backpack. Now imagine meticulously putting all the cartridges in neat small compartments. If anything, 2 extra slots may prove an unrealistically low bonus.

12 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I tried to acknowledge that we have different immersion expectations and you bit me like I was stupid for doing so. :/

The problem is that a piece of bandage or a 9v battery takes the same space as the SVD mag, saline bag which in real life is considerably bigger than again the bandage is only twice it's size, this problem exists because the base slot size is rather big. But I don't agree that we should solve it with magic containers. 

Edited by General Zod

might as well remove medkits. no body i know uses them. loose in the bag is the way to go.

some patience. Many things will only make sense in the game when the new controller is implemented. The old controller simply does not have enough capacity to handle everything, which was certainly one of the reasons why the team decided to step up completely. Arma is mil-sim and DayZ is survival-sim. with high military background but open acting.

6 hours ago, Yeamayne said:

might as well remove medkits. no body i know uses them. loose in the bag is the way to go.

There are a tonne of items in game that the majority will shun. If we took this approach, there would be a large amount of items/content missing.

I like to reflect where I went wrong when I die and how I could have prevented the situation if possible. Just my insight into how another player may possibly think and play..

A little scenario from a lone wolf

Lets begin by emptying my medkit and tossing it away, It's useless and takes up room as we all know. Better yet, I need it in my hand to even look inside, unless I hotbard select items. Good riddance, adios. Now lets get rid of the other useless stuff that I had too! Goodbye saline/iv/test kits. So what am I left with? 4 stacks of rags! 

Lets be all clever and split our rags into different clothing spaces, so in the unfortunate event of a spray and prey, I have rags somewhere, right? Backpack is a good starting point, yup lets put one there. Awesome! The next stack can go in my vest. Seems a good choice, sweet. Two stacks remain and I think to myself. Pants, meh not a good idea. I sprain my ankle a lot and if something cracks my legs, they will be rendered useless. So my jacket will do.

Now this leaves one stack left. What to do..I know, lets make an armband. I stand out a bit more, but having more bandages is great right, just in case? so this last stack, bugger it, in the pants it goes.

That looks great, we have taken up 4 different slots plus an armband! I haven't lost any slots! Now all I need to do is hotbar 1 of them. Maybe 2 just in case I get shot? That takes up precious room though, I have to think about this...

Later that day, "I am thirsty"

I am skalking around up north, looking for some clean water as I am fresh out of purification tabs. I stumble upon what looks like a small quiet village. I slowly scope out for movement, when I see it. A well off to the east of town. I take a pause and look around, no movement, looks good! I stay for a few more minutes before heading in. It's clear, I'm doing it, I'm going in! I whip the p.e.t from my hotbar and fill the sucker up. 

I scurry off to a shed on the outskirts, to take a much needed sip. glug glug glug, I no longer feel thirsty, yes! As I packed the bottle away, I walked out and turned right, the sun blinding from the left. I then see it, a sudden jolt of movement then flashes everywhere.

"PEWPEWPEWPEWPEWPEW PEWPEW                  PEWPEW        PEW PEW "  (simulates auto fire, the gaps represent the recoil)

My screen flashes a multitude of times, I scream and the colour fades away. It must have hurt, he shot me real good. The panic! I run opposite to the flashes and head back in to the little village. Footsteps sprinting behind me, I run behind a small cabin through some bushes and quickly across the road. I tell myself not to panic, get somewhere safe before making my next move. The blood is dripping and the end is near if I can't stop it, let alone worrying about this dude popping me. No more shots where fired and the footsteps appeared quiet now. I whip out my pistol and listen. 30 seconds passed and then I hear it. The steps, there on the other side of my building, he is looking and he doesn't know where I am! He gets in range and pops his head around the corner.

"pew pew pew" (simulate silencer)

He slumps to the ground, I did it! The colour is drained though and I cannot make out much but I am alive! I know it is going to be close and I panic. I sprint inside the building and hit my rag key. It's in my hands, I click use. Nothing happens, I spam it again and again when I notice in red. This item is ruined. craaaaap! that's right, this was my jacket rag, quick quick, look in my vest. Where is it? I skim over a item or two, then I see the rag. rip it into my hands and go to bandage. nothing, again! RUINED! PANIC!!!

I click on the nearest clothes ui to madly search for something usable. My bag is open, he hit me from the front, this one should be ok. I don't equip it now I just hover over it to see its status.. .. r u i n e d .. PANIC PANIC PANIC. How I think to myself? I made sure to prevent this, the medkit was useless, it added no slots and gave me nothing but problems every time I wanted to pull a rag out. Keep looking dammit your wasting precious seconds stop thinking and just bandage!

All my focus had faded away, and I could only look at the world in muted greys and whites, I needed to be calm but how could I? Nothing was usable, and navigating my ui was a stretch at best. I remembered my pants! I was not crawling, my legs where ok I thought. I open up the inv and before I even go to my pants I see a blurry yellow modifier that my leg is somehow chipped. My heart sinks but check anyway, it could be ok, it could only be damaged? Nope, same ruined shit different slot. This is it I sigh ...

Then I remembered my armband, it would save me. I made a sigh of relief as I pulled it off and prepared to tear it up.

'You are unconscious'

Now my point to this little story was to show you that all players are unpredictable and we all have our own unique playstyle and how we perceive fun. One way of game play is not right over another. Now some could say to turn off post process effects to help with blurriness or something of the likes. Yes, that would have helped, but in a situation like this, panic genuinely kicks in and sometimes you have seconds, not minutes to make decisions. Everything you have done prior to this stage can tip the outcome for you or against you. 

Medkits for me because

a -  extra protection

b - colour coding (red is easy to see especially taking up 4 square slots regardless of health state/settings)

c - Repeat ability, One clothing piece for medical regardless if it got shot up or not. (one spare armband backup too!) It takes precious time going from piece to piece trying to find something through a full inventory, especially in situations you need to react. When you loot and you build up items, you tend to shuffle to make things fit, especially if you start getting creative when slots are minimal and items are bigger vertically or horizontally.

Besides, all these ui "issues" will be addressed at some point. Why remove something if it isn't broken, and/or cause more work load at this stage of development? As a new forum member, try and keep a more open mind next time rather then suggest to remove something because you don't use it or feel nobody else does. Everything in dayz has a purpose, including our own decisions. Remember this is a social experiment more then anything. 

Majority of the items that we will eventually need that have no purpose now, I still collect in preparation for that dark dark day ;)

TLDR; Read the whole post. Also Dr wasteland would frown upon you ;) 

Edited by nuggit
spoiler showing white background, how to fix?
  • Like 1

They need to have a large crash kit, that you can find. Maybe a medical backpack? 

Also, we need combat med kits.. leg holster or molle attachment.