Henk Grunn

damage done by wolves

On 0.61 experimental, I encountered a pack of wolves near devils castle.

They behave great. And they scared the shit out of me. Really really nice work. However the damage they do is very little.

In all honesty, I should have been killed by them. I killed 2 of the wolves with the little ammo I had, and then I ran into the cabin, east from devils castle. I closed the doors, and one of them managed to clip through the walls, and got inside of the cabin.

imo the damage should be like this:

Damage should be upped a lot.

If a wolf makes a jump attack, and succeeds, the player should fall on the floor (lying position).

Make their persistence in attack variable. I think this would add to realism. Really hungry wolves would push it more then average.  Iow, sometimes when you shoot with a gun in the air, they should run, and when hungry (random number variable part) sometimes they continue their attack.

I would really like to see them as a real threat. With a few modifications to some parameters they could be a real threat.

• Like 3

Indeed I hope they become a real threat too. I'm sure they are still balancing them I'm glad they are in none the less and even better that they make folks jump.

• Like 1

I don't think they should be a 'real threat' in most cases. Wolves are too aggressive right now.

But most players would rather see the ravenous "big, bad wolf" than realistic behaviors based on the research of wildlife biologists.

As a compromise the AI could be changed so the wolves do not always rush to attack and tend to go after lone players rather than groups. A group of people armed with firearms should not be concerned about wolves. The 'survivalist' with his fishing rod and bow, all by his lonesome, okay.

Players should not be able to outrun and outmaneuver wolves.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, -Gews- said:

I don't think they should be a 'real threat' in most cases. Wolves are too aggressive right now.

But most players would rather see the ravenous "big, bad wolf" than realistic behaviors based on the research of wildlife biologists.

As a compromise the AI could be changed so the wolves do not always rush to attack and tend to go after lone players rather than groups. A group of people armed with firearms should not be concerned about wolves. The 'survivalist' with his fishing rod and bow, all by his lonesome, okay.

Players should not be able to outrun and outmaneuver wolves.

Yeah I agree with that. Gunshots should scare the wolves away in most cases. Bears on the other hand are less scared of gunshots, because they tend to run way a bit, and then come back. And at the next shot they run a bit less away, and then come back again. untill they are not scared anymore.

But, I still think that when no gunshot is fired, wolves should attack. And also do far more damage. Because the currently you can just run and don't care about them. Even a successful jump attack does hardly any damage.

Flares and torches should be able to keep them at bay.

People are getting one shot killed by wolves but I think this greatly depends on gear/helmet.

Also, agree that wolves should target lone players more than groups.

Maybe a pack of 5 will track a solo player and a pack of 10 might attack 2 people....

On 11/26/2016 at 6:09 AM, Henk Grunn said:

On 0.61 experimental, I encountered a pack of wolves near devils castle.

They behave great. And they scared the shit out of me. Really really nice work. However the damage they do is very little.

In all honesty, I should have been killed by them. I killed 2 of the wolves with the little ammo I had, and then I ran into the cabin, east from devils castle. I closed the doors, and one of them managed to clip through the walls, and got inside of the cabin.

imo the damage should be like this:

Damage should be upped a lot.

If a wolf makes a jump attack, and succeeds, the player should fall on the floor (lying position).

Make their persistence in attack variable. I think this would add to realism. Really hungry wolves would push it more then average.  Iow, sometimes when you shoot with a gun in the air, they should run, and when hungry (random number variable part) sometimes they continue their attack.

I would really like to see them as a real threat. With a few modifications to some parameters they could be a real threat.

We're aware of the damage not being enough of a challenge, it will be addressed.

From my limited experience with wolves their damage is too low. However I think that the reason for wolves not being that much of a threat atm is because of the old player controller. My latest encounter with wolves was yesterday. I encountered them North of Gorka at 91.50/57.30 (check Izurvive). After missing my first 2 shots on them with a blaze I had to book it to Vyshnaya Dubrovka. I zigzagged almost the entire way there and the wolves only hit me a few times and if I hadn't zigzagged I probably would have died. I killed one wolf in Vyshnaya but then I was out of ammo. The rest of the night I went from house to house in Vyshnaya, Dubrovka and Khelm with zombies and wolves after me looking for rags, guns and ammo and luckily finding shotgunshells and a shotgun in Khelm where I finally killed the wolf leader and all the zombies from the safety of a log cabin. The rest of my playsession was spent in a house cooking all of my deer/wolfmeat and healing up.

When the new player controller is implemented and we no longer have unlimited stamina and can't zigzag like crazy wolves will be a serious threat unless you have good weapons, plenty of ammo and good aim. Gunshots, torches etc scaring wolves away is not a good idea. It's realistic yes but then wolves will never be a threat. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

We're aware of the damage not being enough of a challenge, it will be addressed.

Thanks for the info.

As said, as a pack, the wolves behave very natural when it comes to movement. So I'm looking forward to improvement of the damage they inflict.

15 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Have there already been slight changes made to the way wolf packs pursue and circle fleeing players.  IIRC, the first few times I encountered wolves, it was possible to "kite" them long distances with relatively little risk.  Lately, it is very difficult to run a couple hundred meters to shelter, without taking a few hits/

• Like 1

I know this topic is about damage dealt by wolves, but what about the one dealt to them? I was excited to find the new animal and looked for them as soon as I secured my first gun, a glock. It was dark but I'm sure I pumped a good deal of hits in their pack, however when I was dying, I think the entire pack (of 6) was still there. I didn't mind dying and I realized a glock is far from enough but I thought I'd get at least a few. So my question is - what's the minimum worst gun you would consider tackling a wolf pack with? Are headshots even in for the wolves?

And BTW, hearing a wolf cry to the Moon in the middle of the night... Priceless.

On 11/28/2016 at 0:57 AM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

I hope you realize they actually do significant bone damage.  Even though the blood/health damage they do is not a lot, they will out right kill you before either of those stats gets low because they do bone damage.

It takes maybe 8 hits, which is not a lot considering they are in packs.

Wolves did about 4200 blood damage to me. I later died because I was dehydrated for 5 seconds. I looked so hard for a water pump or an apple tree or something to keep me alive. No such luck.

I killed 3 or 4 of them and the rest ran off. Killed the 3rd or 4th with my last bullet. I knew they were nearby but they were so far away I could barely see them. I assumed they wouldn't chase me, and just happened to be wondering in my general direction. It was when they started running towards me across a large field that I realised I was wrong.

I've encountered wolves before, but I was able to hide in a building. Getting caught by a pack of wolves out in an open field is very much a "well, I'm fucked" moment. Love it.

• Like 1

Based on what I've seen in videos, they appear to be working pretty fantastically! Damage seems acceptable and they really do provide a challenge for the survivor.

Curious if they will ever receive a vicious pin attack that can disable a player if it leaps on your back or what not. A quick knockdown, for instance. 

On 6.12.2016 at 1:23 AM, Bororm said:

I hope you realize they actually do significant bone damage.  Even though the blood/health damage they do is not a lot, they will out right kill you before either of those stats gets low because they do bone damage.

It takes maybe 8 hits, which is not a lot considering they are in packs.

Too true, I was mauled by a single wolf and watched the stats, after 6 hits, with 4k health and 1,5k blood I was dead (immediate, no unconscious).

• Like 1

The damage now is too high at the moment - lost 4k blood in couple of wolf hits and died too, and they have much more health compare to a zombie. Wolves should have similar health to a zombie, because it`s much harder to hit due to speed, and they are usually in a pack. It should be a diversion with wolves - if u keep dieing against wolves, because they can track you miles away it`s not a good game mechanic. Just like small % chance to find stones or apples, or walking uphill for instant. It feels clunky at best. Also about water wells - it should be enough to drink couple of times. 

Edited by ori42

Damage is good just don't turn your back on them.

However 7-8 bullets .22 to the head was hard to win the fight. Held me up in the house for some time.

I did a small video testing the desync for exp, but your more then welcome to get info from it.

WTF is that clacking noise i get?

24 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

Damage is good just don't turn your back on them.

However 7-8 bullets .22 to the head was hard to win the fight. Held me up in the house for some time.

I did a small video testing the desync for exp, but your more then welcome to get info from it.

WTF is that clacking noise i get?

Yeah it is hard to kill them. Especially since it's difficult to concentrate on just one while you are aiming.

Though yesterday I met some pack of wolves again. I did not need 7 or 8 shots. I think about 4 or 5. But i aimed at their heads. I had luck, because the second wolf I killed appeared to be the leader of the gang, they " cried" the moment i killed that bastard, and then they all ran off.

I hardly had any damage, but that was because i could hide in a bus, and I shot from inside the bus.

On 11/28/2016 at 11:57 AM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

It`s fantasy land - they deal too much damage now and they have too much health/blood. When you think about it Zombies are harrmless in Dayz SA, and should be bufffed too with 1k damage per hit, and they should have 10k blood/health, @Hicks_206 (DayZ) - it should be adressed too you know..

Wolf damage was changed, but it`s far from balance compare to a player character total blood/health perspective. 

Edited by ori42

I`m about to post facts about wolves, but I won`t bother in this game, because it has nothing to do with reality at all. How often do you see a pack of wolves in the wilderness for instant? If you`re lucky you will see 1 here in Norway in your life time, because it`s so rare and a shy animal. But in dayz land it`s scripted to be always (6-8) wolves when you encounter them - keep that in mind as well when you balance wolves. :)  And wolves are not agressive towards human at all and that is facts, but they are beautiful animals who live quiet in the forest. And see what you did here in dayz land. :)

Edited by ori42
updated content

3 hours ago, ori42 said:

I`m about to post facts about wolves, but I won`t bother in this game, because it has nothing to do with reality at all. How often do you see a pack of wolves in the wilderness for instant? If you`re lucky you will see 1 here in Norway in your life time, because it`s so rare and a shy animal. But in dayz land it`s scripted to be always (6-8) wolves when you encounter them - keep that in mind as well when you balance wolves. :)  And wolves are not agressive towards human at all and that is facts, but they are beautiful animals who live quiet in the forest. And see what you did here in dayz land. :)

Everything you say it's true, the only problem is, if they did the wolves realistically, they might just as well remove them from the game. A wolf gives a wide berth to humans and as you said, you can consider yourself lucky to see one in a distance, once in your lifetime. Which means that they'd be irrelevant to the game if that was the case. I think it's better to run with the "big bad wolf" routine and just have terrifying fun in the woods!

• Like 1

Yes true @Kirov (DayZ), but players should be the main threat in this game and that`s my view on this topic. And you need to take a huge risk approaching wolves, or wolves sensing you too far away and start hunting you, because other players might be nearby who will hear your shots, or see u run inside a building to escaping a wolf encounter, or see you using a torch to scare the wolves away. And that will endanger the situation further - so wolves need to be reduced in numbers and  balanced properly concerning their current bite damage.  

Edited by ori42

1 hour ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Everything you say it's true, the only problem is, if they did the wolves realistically, they might just as well remove them from the game. A wolf gives a wide berth to humans and as you said, you can consider yourself lucky to see one in a distance, once in your lifetime. Which means that they'd be irrelevant to the game if that was the case. I think it's better to run with the "big bad wolf" routine and just have terrifying fun in the woods!

They should be all-but irrelevant to the game. Do you know how much space a wolf pack needs?

Basically, the whole of South Zagoria would be enough space to maybe support a single wolf pack.

http://westernwildlife.org/gray-wolf-outreach-project/biology-behavior-4/

And probably even less, with the level of human activity in South Zagoria. With the level of agriculture and animal husbandry in-game, any wolves would have been shot and killed by humans real quick. 

Same thing with bears, only even more so.

Wolves and bears were only put in to give the game a more "survival" feeling, while all the people actually trained/experienced in wilderness survival are shaking their heads and facepalming.

They are doing it because they can't make the environment enough of a threat, which is disappointing.

• Like 1