Sign in to follow this  
skully172

No more sucker punches

It's silly to see some bamby run up to someone fully geared or sneak on someone, get his hands up, and just give him one or two punches, and he is out... and it's so easy to do that. I think they could remove the fist fighting, bambies actually need some kind of weapon to knock someone out, but not just some bean can, you actually need something that would cause damage.

Do me a favor, go and find a can of your favorite brand of beans (or soup, or anything in a can, really, so long as it is full), and slam it into your skull.

A can of -something- so long as it is full of something (liquid and food), is basically a round rock.

Although I agree with regards to fists being effective weapons. They should, in reality, be the weapons of last resort. They are rather easy to hurt when used in a fight.

• Like 1

Players can only do this because the geared player is not situational aware. This could be due to him not hearing the movements and steps. Or he was mentally busy with (for instance) his inventory. Truth is that many people are very situational unaware, in computer games and in real life.

The only thing I like ensure is the BO punch can only be done by hitting the person exactly on the bare head. Which is very hard if the player is moving and aware. Trying for this against an armed person is very dangerous, hence it is fun. And if you're the geared up player, you better watch out and work together with others. Well armed does not mean being armoured / invulnerable. I Love this realism. No god-mode or comfort zone. Adapt your tactics and overcome. The next time a 'bambi' or do you just mean unarmed new player? tries to attack you have your Glock ready in you hand, pointing in the direction where you hear him coming from. If you don't hear him, it's his skill or your unawareness, or the devs need to make sure moving players produce more directional sound. Own it.

Edited by Troll_Hunter

In my opinion one punch KO should only happen when punching the back of the head. While hitting someone in the face with can of beans would be very dangerous, it's not working really well for gameplays sake.

For me it's not really realistic to get KO'd when getting punched directly to the face once. Normally the one who is about to get punched gets to brace for the impact and/or move away from the punch, making the punch less effective. But we can't do that in DayZ.

Surprise hits to the side/back of the head should be more guaranteed KO. That's how people get knocked out in real life too.

Last time I saw someone get punched in the face he only looked angry. And didn't even retaliate.

Edited by peegee
  • Like 1

Most of the cases are unarmed players running after someone to just punch them out when they usually don't have ammo. It would make sence if most players used fireaxes as their main melee weapons but they don't, they go for their hands because its 1 or 2 punches to get them down and it's quick. You can be having a conversation whit some bambi, while you are fully geared, you drop something to him he walks up to you and BAM, there's many videos on youtube showing this. It still doesnt make sence even if they are behind you and they just one punch you, they need some kind of weapon for that.

There's nothing realistic about that. Let's create a scenario: There's 3 guys in elektro, they have just killed like... 2 other players, one of them is looting, another is having a drink in a water font which is really close, the last one is watching over the guy drinking. a bambi sees this situation in 3rd person like always... and he is on the other side of the wall, really close. He doesn't even have to wait for the player whos guarding to get distracted, they can just rush him because his weapon would probably be in a low position, and hit him once in the head, this would take less than a couple of seconds.

Edited by skully172

I remember like a good 2 years ago, i was playing whit like 7 friends, i was trying to find them in the woods near balota, i saw two bambies about 10 to 15 meters in front of me on the road and asked them in TS, "is this you guys?", and while they answered "Yes" which was wrong, the bambi looked at me, rushed me while looking down (to make it harder to hit him because his torso was low) and kinda zig zagging, and hit me ONCE in the head, while i had one of those military helmets. And because i thougth at first it was one of the guys i was playing whit, i didn't shot him because he was runing towards me.

Do you know what's more effective in a short range, a pistol or a knife?  - Some say that within 7 meters a knife is more dangerous.

I'm happy with the higher frame rate of the new renderer, it will help to see and aim better.

I hope the devs will make the animations' frame rate a bit faster so the animation is smoother.

I think you've learned to keep (much more) distance, and be much more careful with unknown players.

These KOS trolls will be alone, and therefore have a harder time navigating and evading the groups of infected and predators.

You will not be knocked out because being hit by punches if you are wearing a motorbike helmet, I haven't tried the other masks/helmets that covers your face but maybe it prevents it also.

I will add my 2 cents here.

The problem aren't the punches. You're supposed to be able to knock down a guy with that. Fine

The issue lies here with 3 moments:

1. Head protection not working. If you have a helmet on, there should be no punch damages to the head whatsoever. Period. No matter if the player hitting you has a rock or a can, or whatever other melee weapon. Helmets should neutralize almost any damage, or protect you enough to endure a couple of good hits.
  2. Arms health. If a player is punching everyone around, his arms should go broken at some point, making him unable to grab stuff later. With this in place, people will think twice before going into their roky balboa rampage
  3. Player movement speed. At this point it is ridiculously fast. In real life you can knock out a guy with a punch, but if he has a weapon, by the moment you make your second step you gonna be lying in the ground with a couple of bullets in your chest! They reduced it a little in 61 (like 20%) but it's still way too fast.
Edited by exwoll
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, exwoll said:

I will add my 2 cents here.

The problem aren't the punches. You're supposed to be able to knock down a guy with that. Fine

The issue lies here with 3 moments:

1. Head protection not working. If you have a helmet on, there should be no punch damages to the head whatsoever. Period. No matter if the player hitting you has a rock or a can, or whatever other melee weapon. Helmets should neutralize almost any damage, or protect you enough to endure a couple of good hits.
  2. Arms health. If a player is punching everyone around, his arms should go broken at some point, making him unable to grab stuff later. With this in place, people will think twice before going into their roky balboa rampage
  3. Player movement speed. At this point it is ridiculously fast. In real life you can knock out a guy with a punch, but if he has a weapon, by the moment you make your second step you gonna be lying in the ground with a couple of bullets in your chest! They reduced it a little in 61 (like 20%) but it's still way too fast.

yeah i believe player running speed is about 23 km/h which really fast, not impossible but no normal person can run for that speed for more than half a minute or so. But still, punches are way too powerful, it should be at least a good 3 to 6 punches directly to the head. (maybe body punches could temporarily harm the player if it hits the lower part of the body?)

Edited by skully172
  • Like 1

I think it should be pretty difficult to knock somebody out. I mean, I imagine it isn't that easy to knock somebody out cold unless you smack them over the head with a cricket bat, but then you'd probably end up cracking their skull open and killing them. That's one way to make somebody unconscious, I guess.

Anything short of a hefty blunt melee weapon - we're talking a wrench, a shovel, a crowbar, a baseball bat - should be extremely ineffective at knocking somebody out. Being hit in the head should send you into a dazed state, kind of like shock. If you're punched in the head you get slightly disorientated. If you get hit with, I don't know, a hammer you should get pretty messed up, but you shouldn't go unconscious - not in one or two hits anyway. 

Blunt weapons should disorientate. Bladed weapons should cause bleeding.

I don't like feeling as though I have to wear a helmet of some kind. I like just wearing a beanie or a cap or something. However, knowing that somebody can just run up to me and punch me once or twice in the head to knock me out makes me very nervous when looting near freshspawns, so I feel like wearing a hardhat or something is a requirement, which is absurd. It's very easy to sneak up on people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

I think it should be pretty difficult to knock somebody out. I mean, I imagine it isn't that easy to knock somebody out cold unless you smack them over the head with a cricket bat, but then you'd probably end up cracking their skull open and killing them. That's one way to make somebody unconscious, I guess.

Anything short of a hefty blunt melee weapon - we're talking a wrench, a shovel, a crowbar, a baseball bat - should be extremely ineffective at knocking somebody out. Being hit in the head should send you into a dazed state, kind of like shock. If you're punched in the head you get slightly disorientated. If you get hit with, I don't know, a hammer you should get pretty messed up, but you shouldn't go unconscious - not in one or two hits anyway. 

Blunt weapons should disorientate. Bladed weapons should cause bleeding.

I don't like feeling as though I have to wear a helmet of some kind. I like just wearing a beanie or a cap or something. However, knowing that somebody can just run up to me and punch me once or twice in the head to knock me out makes me very nervous when looting near freshspawns, so I feel like wearing a hardhat or something is a requirement, which is absurd. It's very easy to sneak up on people.

it's not :D

I like the idea with the dizziness and disorientation when one gets punched in the face. 

But helmets are a must if you know that somebody can throw a rock at you, or come with a bat or another non cutting meelee weapon.

4 hours ago, exwoll said:

it's not :D

I like the idea with the dizziness and disorientation when one gets punched in the face. 

But helmets are a must if you know that somebody can throw a rock at you, or come with a bat or another non cutting meelee weapon.

I think it varies from person to person, but fair point.

My emphasis is more on gameplay, though. Take for example the raincoat - you pretty much have to have one if you want to be in the rain for more than five seconds without getting drenched, which seems silly to me. It hugely devalues basically every other jacket. The fact that helmets are so important means that wearing a hat is almost always a liability. Helmets should be very effective, for sure, but I think that only a select few melee weapons should be capable of reliably knocking somebody out in one or two hits - not necessarily because that's realistic, but because it's better for gameplay.

As a side note, it should be a similar deal for clothing and water resistance. Rain coats should be really good, but every other item shouldn't be completely useless for keeping you dry.

Yeah, I completely agree on the raincoats. As a 100% hunting jacket user, I want it to have at least 50% of waterproof protection for the character, since the label reads "resists any weather" lol. 

But the deal with the helmets, is that they're totally useless atm. Just another hat. Even motorbike helmets that offer full head coverage offer 0 protection against a fist. Sure there should be weapons that would knock you down with one hit (hammers, bat, wrench, pipe, etc) 

I would really like to know what are BI plans towards these items. They already said that there will be some work on the current damage system, and some reconfiguration with the player hitbox. 

IMHO helmets should be a MUST when going into a city to protect oneself from zombie hits  and offer serious protection with a realistic hierarchy (hat>cowboy hat>construction helmet>skate helmet>Motorbike helmet>Ballistic helmet>tank helmet>gorka helmet)

Hats already offer some pros over helmets: less bulky, don't shine, sometimes give camo (bandanas). That should have a price to pay in protection degree, and for some those pros would be decisive at the moment of choosing their option (I for example always wear camo bandanas, I know they offer no protection, but the stealth value is more important for me). One can always have a hat AND a helmet  to put on in case it is needed :D

Wearing motorcycle helmets sounds pretty dumb to me. My helmet weights ~1700 grams; ~3 1/4 pounds, reduced hearing (!!!!), reduced field of vision, inertia makes running and looking around slower. Soldiers may wear helmets in dangerous places, but usually don't wear them over long distances, I wonder why. oh and btw soldiers helmets do not stop nato or soviet ammo, only pistol and lesser bullets.

I think I want to see a more fluid animation, and an accurate animation. So I can see exactly where the strikes are going.

Hopefully the upcoming new player controller and animation system improves this a lot.

About helmets ... a few days ago, a wolf hit me once. My ballistic helmet gone from pristine to damaged.

What happened if I didn't have this helmet ? I surely died.

A possible explanation is ... wolfs are also infected. Their tooth are made in diamond! ;)

10 minutes ago, Solus Lupus said:

About helmets ... a few days ago, a wolf hit me once. My ballistic helmet gone from pristine to damaged.

What happened if I didn't have this helmet ? I surely died.

A possible explanation is ... wolfs are also infected. Their tooth are made in diamond! ;)

Wolves seem to target the head, any hat will block a few hits. Without one you're dead in one or two hits.