Luftpancake

Unconsciousness Overhaul

Unconsciousness Overhaul  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with all/some of these ideas?

• Yes, I do/and or I'd like to add something. (Please comment any of your inquires, or thoughts.)
    • Eh, I'm stuck somewhere in the middle.(Please explain)
    • No, I do not agree with any of these ideas. (Please explain)

Hello, fellow survivors, I'd like to spread my ideas for this game's unconsciousness system, please make me aware of any grammatical errors I may have missed.

• No more animation - Straight up rag dolling, as if you were dead. This could bring back the meaning to checking a player's pulse again.
  • Ace 2 inspired system - This means adding the eyelid opening and closing effect occasionally, while you're unconscious. This is to somewhat occasionally give the player a quick glimpse of their surrounds, this could also possibly discourage killing themselves while unconscious, which brings me to my next suggestion. 
  • Body carrying/Dragging - I'm sure everyone has thought about this before, It'd be really nice if we could drag/carry unconscious, and dead bodies. Be it if your friend is out in the open, and you need to drag him to safety. Or if you want to hide a body/kidnap someone. 
  • Respawn delay -  I've always despised that people could kill themselves instantly while unconscious. I'm not saying take the feature away but add something along the lines of  a 1 - 2-minute timer disabling it, until that specific time is up.
  • Passing out occasionally from extreme blood-loss or extreme pain - Self explanatory
  • Stuffing dead/unconscious bodies in trunks, or other big containers - This is pretty self-explanatory.  What this means, is to make it where if somebody has lost a lot of blood, or is in a lot of pain, they'll randomly faint and wake up (For short periods of time, mind you.)
  • No more unconsciousness unrelated to blows to the head, or blood-loss/pain. I've always found it kind of odd that If I shoot someone in the leg or chest, they go unconscious, it doesn't seem right to me. I think an incapacitation system to replace unconsciousness for these types of injuries for this game would be more suitable, realistic, and brutal. This could also prevent instadeath from non-vital areas hit. 

Now, I am aware some of these will probably come with the new player controller/animation system. I just figured I'd get my 2-cents out there just in case. Please tell me what you think in the comments, or polls. 

Edited by billnyetherussianpie
Grammatical fix/Sentence fix.
  • Like 3

I think the animation we have should stay in, as the ragdolls are really bad on this game, and it looks awful. The character usually goes unconcious when he gets shot in the legs or something because they are trying to simulate shock.

• Like 1

Yup agree with all. Players should fall unconscious only due to shock damage done by an object directly in the head, or due to loss of blood over X time (not instantly due a shot somewhere in the leg).

Its stupid to have different animations for unconscious and dead people, one should check the pulse to be sure of that (and also take out the player name out of the pulse check, just show something like "I feel a strong pulse")

• Like 1

Sure! I like all the ideas here. I've been thinking about some of these also. I hope they are not so hard to implement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exwoll said:

Yup agree with all. Players should fall unconscious only due to shock damage done by an object directly in the head, or due to loss of blood over X time (not instantly due a shot somewhere in the leg).

Its stupid to have different animations for unconscious and dead people, one should check the pulse to be sure of that (and also take out the player name out of the pulse check, just show something like "I feel a strong pulse")

I completely agree, thank you for the feedback!

I like your suggestions a lot;

I'm not sure how stowing a body in a trunk would work, unless the team allows for an additional 'seat' in the trunk.

The blackouts could be different of duration. So from a fist it is something short, like 3-10 seconds. For a deep shock situation it may be longer. I like the occasional peak idea. Maybe add a heartbeat sound, and dampen and equalise the sound. Maybe if you're actually dying you'll start seeing the 'white tunnel of light' :) After you've died I would love to see a simple statistics screen, and top down camera view leaving your dead body. While enemies loot your body, or your friends perform CPR (This should be in the game!). Later the infected, birds, rats come in to take and consume your body.

On 11/24/2016 at 3:07 PM, skully172 said:

I think the animation we have should stay in, as the ragdolls are really bad on this game, and it looks awful. The character usually goes unconcious when he gets shot in the legs or something because they are trying to simulate shock.

While it doesn't look the best, I imagine improvements to it will come with the new way bodies are going to be handled, and the player controller.

On 11/24/2016 at 9:25 PM, Troll_Hunter said:

I like your suggestions a lot;

I'm not sure how stowing a body in a trunk would work, unless the team allows for an additional 'seat' in the trunk.

The blackouts could be different of duration. So from a fist it is something short, like 3-10 seconds. For a deep shock situation it may be longer. I like the occasional peak idea. Maybe add a heartbeat sound, and dampen and equalise the sound. Maybe if you're actually dying you'll start seeing the 'white tunnel of light' :) After you've died I would love to see a simple statistics screen, and top down camera view leaving your dead body. While enemies loot your body, or your friends perform CPR (This should be in the game!). Later the infected, birds, rats come in to take and consume your body.

Thanks! I agree with that last part.

100% on the ragdolling. Yes, the old boneless ragdoll system is bad especially the frictionless body part, however that can all be resolved to give a much more realistic system (hopefully). If that's the case, then unconsciousness should trigger ragdolling the same way as death.

I would also prefer not to have characters uncontrollably stand up upon regaining conciousness, but rather give control back to the player to decide when to get up. (at least to the extent they haven't been tied up or stuffed into a car boot).

As for shock, I've extensively written up on it before:

On 01/12/2015 at 0:09 PM, MrAerospace said:

Adrenaline doesn't (usually) give people extra speed or strength, but it can keep them moving beyond what's physically possible, ignoring both injury or fatigue. (Trust me, the 3 inch scar down my right knee reminds me of that fact every single day). There is a significant downside to too much adrenaline though, and when a person stops moving, it sends the body into shock.

The way I would do it in game is to link both the shock and stamina bars.

Firstly, it should only be unlocked for a split second after a shock occurs. (So long as the shock doesn't knock them out first). If the player reacts fast enough, then they unlock an 'adrenaline mode', that will allow them to get out of danger.

At this point, the adrenaline mode keeps them moving and they can ignore wounds, crippling injuries, and fatigue (even though they may be bleeding out) and start to burn stamina at an increased rate, past 'zero' and into the negatives.

Once the player stops moving, or hits an absolute limit, then the negative stamina returns to zero, and fills up the shock meter at the same time.

That way, a player can use adrenaline in dire situations, but using too much will send them into shock, and can result in them passing out from the added shock.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrAerospace said:

100% on the ragdolling. Yes, the old boneless ragdoll system is bad especially the frictionless body part, however that can all be resolved to give a much more realistic system (hopefully). If that's the case, then unconsciousness should trigger ragdolling the same way as death.

I would also prefer not to have characters uncontrollably stand up upon regaining conciousness, but rather give control back to the player to decide when to get up. (at least to the extent they haven't been tied up or stuffed into a car boot).

As for shock, I've extensively written up on it before:

Thanks for the feedback!