Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.136297

Hey guys, putting out another exp update. This one focused on some behavior changes for infected. 

Hopefully should result in less frustration melee with them, and less of them running circles around players. 

We're still working on improving server performance, which when poor can cause the following issues:

- Infected reaction speed may be reduced
- Character modifiers/status can become stuck or not update properly
- Infected can push characters through/into model geometry causing movement issues (unable to move in a given direction)
- Collision/Navigation in some complex structures can push your character around
- Issues with door states can occur
- Damage being delayed

Other issues include but are not limited to:

- Infected vocal sounds being too quiet
- Infected response to firearm types is uniform (aka suppressed weapons do not have the proper impact on them)
- Infected can push characters through/into model geometry
- VOIP volume too loud

One small edit:
As I've said before - we are aware that supersonic cracks from bullets are not functioning currently. This will be addressed, as I've said - but if it will be addressed in .61 remains to be seen. That said, I have spoken with the audio team, and they will *see* what they can get done for .61, no promises however.

• Like 10

I'm going to assume no character wipe this time around? I'm up at Tisy, I'll test out some zombie behavior once servers go live.

EDIT: Character wipe.

Edited by RoninGotPicks

26 minutes ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Hey guys, putting out another exp update. This one focused on some behavior changes for infected. 

Hopefully should result in less frustration melee with them, and less of them running circles around players. 

We're still working on improving server performance, which when poor can cause the following issues:

*snip*

Have you made any changes to infected awareness/detection range through out .61?

The last couple days they have been downright scary (and fun) reacting when I make a mistake sneaking is that good server performance or are AI rules of engagement being worked on as well? 

• Like 1

Barrels are broken.
if you take barrel and place it somewhere and log out,the barrel teleports to its original spawnpoint.

SOME MORE TESTING:
But if you log out with barrel on your hand,place where you are, comes the place where the barrel teleports.

Edited by kopo79

I just got killed by an infected with a single hit (Energy 4990, Blood 4300). Before that I stepped in a bear trap and got a sprained ankle and used a splint afterwards. But my character did not stop moaning (I did not find enough food and so I did not manage to get the healing indicator).
After looting some more towns the moaning did not stop and the next infected that did hit me killed me instantly. So I think it's safe to say that the splint mechanic was also changed compared to .60. Do we have a general idea how the damage model now works?

• Like 1

one small change that i really like is, you can't change field of view of the game at all. you may change the it from settings but it's only for the menu hat shows up when you press esc. this is great really. edit: you can only see your shoulders in 3pp which is awesome.

one thing which is pretty frustrating is the height of some doors is actually low that you need to crouch to go through it.

Edit: this is kind of buggy, sometimes it changes to low FoV automatically and then get back to high fov for me. weird.

Edited by VahidkinG(2ndAcc)

Since we started fresh and the infected were supposed to be better to melee I ran at the first one I saw and punched it in the face, about twenty hits on my part he landed 3-5 on me no damage before he got knocked out. The second one was about the same but he made me bleed a bit but I still won.

The still push a bit but it's more gentle and don't seem to push you as far, the second one did get around behind me but I managed to turn and get him in front of me, have had a few in the past that got behind me and I couldn't get facing them fast enough before they were behind me again.

Seem to be easier to fist fight but I'm not sure if that's over all better, the second fight was wasn't really scary because the first was pretty damn easy and a bit tedious.

Melee combat with infected seems buggier than before, but avoiding them is satisfying, and the large quantity of them makes looting a town more tense. I've seen infected wander into buildings, which can be scary when its the building I'm inside.

Servers seem a bit unstable this evening.  After an hour or so of playing, 4 crashes.  Hopefully nothing too serious.

It looks like the wolves are slowed down by heavy server load just like the zombies.  It was kind of humorous to hear the creepy howl, retreat to a nearby building, then watch them gallop over in slow-mo. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WilliamTheConqueror said:

Melee combat with infected seems buggier than before, but avoiding them is satisfying, and the large quantity of them makes looting a town more tense. I've seen infected wander into buildings, which can be scary when its the building I'm inside.

MrMoon starved to death again near the coast - almost no food. :)

It should be easier for survivors to find something to eat near the coast - if they refuse to go north or are new to the game.

The map is huge so most new players have sometimes no clue where to go and get easy lost or run around in circles near the hills, and many new players stay near the coast which is easier to navigate, not all know about the dayz SA map.

Edited by ori42

I usually avoid looting cities at the coast, because I know most buildings are empty - and just waste of time. You save a lot of time to just run to the center of the map, but still not sure what the Dayz dev team trying to accomplish with this loot table system?

Central loot economy like why have loot piles at the center?  And most players are happy when they decide where to travel, and less about to follow the loot pattern in my opinion.

When basebuilding is implemented you will have players all over the map due to bases and central loot system wont be that effective, because it`s no longer a death match at NW Airfield.  

Edited by ori42

10 minutes ago, ori42 said:

It should be easier for survivors to find something to eat near the coast - if they refuse to go north or are new to the game.

The map is huge so most new players have sometimes no clue where to go and get easy lost or run around in circles, and many stay near the coast which is easier to navigate, not all know about the dayz SA map.

Moon was done before he even spawned that last life.  He was running around aimlessly occasionally randomly entering a building and getting frustrated when nothing was there.  He simply does not have the patience to survive in DayZ right now.  He's now running around aimlessly in Miscreated but isn't complaining.  Why?  Because he's not burned out on Miscreated yet.

I spawned in as a freshie in Berezino tonight, after 10-15 minutes I had an improvised backpack, two cans of beans, a can of tuna, a can of sardines, 2 rounds of .308, and several rounds of .380, 9mm and .22.  Not endgame loot, but I was off to a good start from stuff I found in a coastal town.  It's not that hard.

One thing I do agree with Moon on is that there are only a couple specific places on the map where you can find people right now.  I like the idea of mini-military camps to get people moving around, but it won't really make a difference until we get 80-100 people on the map (at least).  That's the key.  We need more survivors.

• Like 3

I usually avoid looting cities at the coast in this 0.61 patch, because I know most buildings are empty - and just waste of time. You save a lot of time to just run to the center of the map, but still not sure what the Dayz dev team trying to accomplish with this loot table system? Central loot economy like why have loot piles at the center?  And most players are happy when they decide where to travel, and less about to follow the loot pattern in my opinion.

When the base building is implemented you will have players all over the map due bases and central loot system won`t be that effective with vechiles and helis, because it`s less about a death match at NW Airfield. My point is with base building players usually have a plan and purpose where to visit next to perhaps repair a car, find heli parts at Berezino at the coast for instant. However players will still visit military locations searching for UMP, SVD, and M4 for their base or ammo for military weapons, but it`s not a new player friendly survivial game at the moment. 

I`ve played dayz arma II mod. since Frankieonpc1080nd put out youtube vids about it and when Lirik played it on twitch or summit1g. I had have no issues to find military weapons in Elektro or Cherno when it was out, because you need to usually go north to find ammo anyway - so I`m happy that the dayz dev. team have plans to relocate the tents at NW Airfield, and get the loot more spread out over the map even east side. 

Edited by ori42
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, plasteek said:

Moon was done before he even spawned that last life.  He was running around aimlessly occasionally randomly entering a building and getting frustrated when nothing was there.  He simply does not have the patience to survive in DayZ right now.  He's now running around aimlessly in Miscreated but isn't complaining.  Why?  Because he's not burned out on Miscreated yet.

I spawned in as a freshie in Berezino tonight, after 10-15 minutes I had an improvised backpack, two cans of beans, a can of tuna, a can of sardines, 2 rounds of .308, and several rounds of .380, 9mm and .22.  Not endgame loot, but I was off to a good start from stuff I found in a coastal town.  It's not that hard.

One thing I do agree with Moon on is that there are only a couple specific places on the map where you can find people right now.  I like the idea of mini-military camps to get people moving around, but it won't really make a difference until we get 80-100 people on the map (at least).  That's the key.  We need more survivors.

I know, he did it, because he doesn`t enjoy the current loot table distribution system. Moon is an experienced dayz player and he knows the map, but some players like him refuse to go north to the airfield sometimes, because he enjoy the coast journey and the interaction with other players who just spawned in the game. But it`s not a great loot system for such players, because most buildings are empty related to food.

Edited by ori42

The North needs some love true. But for the most applies this; stop sprinting!!

That way you will see more people (sprint you by) ;)

6 minutes ago, ori42 said:

I usually avoid looting cities at the coast, because I know most buildings are empty - and just waste of time. You save a lot of time to just run to the center of the map, but still not sure what the Dayz dev team trying to accomplish with this loot table system? Central loot economy like why have loot piles at the center?  And most players are happy when they decide where to travel, and less about to follow the loot pattern in my opinion.

I do agree with this.  Players should not feel like they need to avoid 3/4 of the map because they know they won't find what they're looking for unless they go to a specific area.  This should only be the case for the highest-grade loot.  It's just that personally I haven't had all that much trouble finding intermediate-level loot on the coast and spread out over the map on 0.61.  Was it always exactly what I wanted?  No.  Did I have to run into and out of dozens of buildings to get it?  Yeah, but doing that doesn't really bother me.  I like letting the loot I find influence the type of character I'm building, rather than having exactly what I envisioned after 15 minutes.

• Like 3

Yeah I get bored after 5 minutes of playing Miscreated. My view and opinion is more about the overall current status of the game of Dayz SA and how the game might be for new players who just bought Dayz SA - it`s really hard if they get wet or don`t know the map, or know how the loot is distributed at the moment. I`ve almost 2k hours in Dayz SA - so I`m happy, but base building is my main focus for this game and that`s why I hope we have 0.61 on stable soon - so the dev. team can focus on the beta progression. I really enjoy this patch for sure, but I am aware it`s hard for new players. 

Edited by ori42

@ori42When I was a new player one of the things that hooked me the most was how hard the game was, just saying. Also I just found a Sporter with mag + scope and 150 rounds from looting elektro, so yeah I loot the coast lol

I shot a couple zombies with a Sporter in Prig and about 10 more zombies started sprinting at me. I locked them in the side room of a barn and shot them thru the window, successfully clearing the town with a chambered sporter. I found it was easy but not too easy to scoot past them on the way out of the crowded room while locking them in, and I was pleased that no more zombies showed up after shooting them.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ori42 said:

I usually avoid looting cities at the coast in this 0.61 patch, because I know most buildings are empty - and just waste of time. You save a lot of time to just run to the center of the map, but still not sure what the Dayz dev team trying to accomplish with this loot table system? Central loot economy like why have loot piles at the center?  And most players are happy when they decide where to travel, and less about to follow the loot pattern in my opinion.

When the base building is implemented you will have players all over the map due bases and central loot system won`t be that effective with vechiles and helis, because it`s less about a death match at NW Airfield. My point is with base building players usually have a plan and purpose where to visit next to perhaps repair a car, find heli parts at Berezino at the coast for instant. However players will still visit military locations searching for UMP, SVD, and M4 for their base or ammo for military weapons, but it`s not a new player friendly survivial game at the moment. 

I`ve played dayz arma II mod. since Frankieonpc1080nd put out youtube vids about it and when Lirik played it on twitch or summit1g. I had have no issues to find military weapons in Elektro or Cherno when it was out, because you need to usually go north to find ammo anyway - so I`m happy that the dayz dev. team have plans to relocate the tents at NW Airfield, and get the loot more spread out over the map even east side. 

You can find good gear relatively fast if you leave to "most traveled paths". That does not mean you have to go to the center of the map or the far north. It's relatively simple: if you enter a town and the first houses you check have no loot (or just useless stuff) don't waste your time and go to the next town. The coast is often picked clean that's true but there are many towns you can reach in 10 min from the coast that have everything you need to get started. Yes it can happen that you don't find a gun for a long time: but that's also part of the game and you can craft a bow (with the new changes it's great to use) and still defend yourself. Starving is also easy to prevent: pick some apples. Yes it's kind of boring but keeps you alive. If you are to lazy to do that it's your own fault.

I think many streamers (who used to stream dayz but left it now) expect to be DayZ more or less deterministic: Every time you play it you have a certain set of gear after X minutes and have Y interesting player interactions within the next minutes. If this does not happen the game is broken and the devs are wrong. This mindset does completely miss what DayZ is: a survival game. Survival means: adapt to the situation and environment. If you don't want to do that then (vanilla) DayZ is probably not the right game for you.

Edited by bingo_fuel
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, plasteek said:

Servers seem a bit unstable this evening.  After an hour or so of playing, 4 crashes.  Hopefully nothing too serious.

It looks like the wolves are slowed down by heavy server load just like the zombies.  It was kind of humorous to hear the creepy howl, retreat to a nearby building, then watch them gallop over in slow-mo. :)

Yeah I experienced more crashes today too. Also losing sync, not crashing but not being able to pick up items or doors opening. The delay or absence of status (health, hunger, thirst etc) updating seems more frequent now too. Many messages about players losing connection.

5 hours ago, ori42 said:

The map is huge so most new players have sometimes no clue where to go and get easy lost or run around in circles near the hills, and many new players stay near the coast which is easier to navigate, not all know about the dayz SA map.

Don't take away that initial experience. It's the best experience you will have and once you're (more) experienced that experience will never come back.

4 hours ago, plasteek said:

In my opinion I think this depends on which (kind of) server you play. For example, if you would have a lot of Experimental regulars in one server you will probably walk into someone in random towns/cities. If you play with a lot of KoS/CoD kiddies you will find a lot of people in the military places or the big coastal cities. But that's my view on the matter.

4 hours ago, ori42 said:

I know, he did it, because he doesn`t enjoy the current loot table distribution system. Moon is an experienced dayz player and he knows the map, but some players like him refuse to go north to the airfield sometimes, because he enjoy the coast journey and the interaction with other players who just spawned in the game. But it`s not a great loot system for such players, because most buildings are empty related to food.

Now first of all I've seen most of Moon's video and absolutely love them but an experienced player decides to do some foraging, hunting, horticulture, etc. when they're not being able to find food. And that's how it should be, especially for the coast. Why? Because a lot of traffic goes through there to do some initial looting before heading inland. Besides, running in random houses here and there isn't going to help. If you want to gear up on the coast you need to visit the majority of the houses and I'm pretty sure you will be dark green energized and light green hydrated or at least dark green hydrated if you didn't drink at a well. When my last character spawned in Solnichniy I decided to loot it and I left dark green energized and light green hydrated. It's only natural that you're not leaving with 20.000 calories because it would be weird if you picked up a can of beanz and as soon as you picked up there is a new one and there is a new one when you pick that one up, etc. If someone just looted the houses right before you entered it should be barren for a bit. It's realistic and the respawning eventually ensures the fun factor in the game. That's how it's suppose to be and work because you will never know if you're going to find anything (good) before looting a town or an house.

1 hour ago, bingo_fuel said:

You can find good gear relatively fast if you leave to "most traveled paths". That does not mean you have to go to the center of the map or the far north. It's relatively simple: if you enter a town and the first houses you check have no loot (or just useless stuff) don't waste your time and go to the next town. The coast is often picked clean that's true but there are many towns you can reach in 10 min from the coast that have everything you need to get started. Yes it can happen that you don't find a gun for a long time: but that's also part of the game and you can craft a bow (with the new changes it's great to use) and still defend yourself. Starving is also easy to prevent: pick some apples. Yes it's kind of boring but keeps you alive. If you are to lazy to do that it's your own fault.

I think many streamers (who used to stream dayz but left it now) expect to be DayZ more or less deterministic: Every time you play it you have a certain set of gear after X minutes and have Y interesting player interactions within the next minutes. If this does not happen the game is broken and the devs are wrong. This mindset does completely miss what DayZ is: a survival game. Survival means: adapt to the situation and environment. If you don't want to do that then (vanilla) DayZ is probably not the right game for you.

Exactly this. I have sat for multiple hours in one spot trying to fight my cholera and wondering everytime if I even was going to make it. Even when I went unconscious, I still waited and didn't press respawn. And when I woke up from that unconscious state I felt like a boss. I had a nasty disease, I tried to do everything in my power to survive it even when things looked grim and it worked out, which gives you an amazing feeling and the feeling that you're going to be alright, even if the game gets harder.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ori42 said:

That is just natural selection, Darwin would be proud.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ori42 said:

They shoud be teached to search for red berries. It's the easiest way to get food. Those people who die starving or thirsty can only blame themselves because there's endless amount of food and water available everywhere.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 6