cs_wolf

0.61 Stable Loot

When 0.61 hits stable I expect the loot to have minimized compared to experimental and start to feel balanced, so I would like to discuss here your thoughts on the rarity of certain items and locational loot.

Let me start with a few-

Type locations:

480px-Barn_4b.jpg?version=f02b4613e77e8f

480px-Barn_4a.jpg?version=dc9e207f4eb3d4

These barns need more love weapon-wise like in the mod (double-barrel shotguns, shotgun shells, maybe repeater's, maybe pistols, axe's etc...) low tier weapons, something a farmer would have to protect his animals. At the moment the bottom barn image spawns no civilian weapons or even loot as far as I have seen, It would be very refreshing to have the chance to find low tier civilian weapons and ammo in these locations. This was one of the magic tricks of the mod of the player progression.

Please consider this devs. Its a nice touch.

Type items:

I hope high tier attachments like ACOG's and PSO's start to get more rare, the red dot's not so much (they spawn at heli crashes) as it will show more CQB than long range fights. And as mentioned above with the barns and civilian weapons, we should see more low tier civilian weapon gunfights play out.

This is just thoughts that I have quickly typed out, I will update this with any more ideas I come up with for 0.61 stable loot.

Edited by cs_wolf
  • Like 1

The double story red roof barn (bottom picture) does actually spawn low tier civilian melee weapons and clothing. I think it would be interesting to see low tier civilian weapons spawn in those locations, hopefully with attention to rarity kept in mind.

Military loot: weapons, ammo, magazines, grenades etc. along with high tier long range optics as you mentioned need to be toned down in my opinion. It's WAY to easy to obtain an AKM w/enough mags to last you more than one lifetime. In my opinion military weapon loot needs to be much more rare. It should be a precious moment to find an AK with enough of the corresponding ammo to fill a magazine. I would really enjoy having more civilian weapon oriented gunfights.

• Like 2

The farmers gun for defending his animals logic is kind of flawed, if you wan't your gun to work when you need it you don't store it where temperature and humidity fluctuate like a barn, maybe a well off farmer that can afford a stainless gun with a simple firing mechanism like a break action.

I do agree those barns could have a gun and I even think any gun would make "sense" with varying degrees of rarity. The little bit of lore/story that goes with this game sets your spawning in after a breakdown of civilization and order. This isn't day zero of the infection, this is day zero of the survivor's new beginning in the wake of everyone else going to the gun store to loot guns and the grocery store to loot food.  A very high percentage of the weapons you'd find would not be in their original owners storage spot and would have been moved to where the holder either had their last stand, discarded it because it was out of ammo, or went feral and lost the ability to use it. Look at the overgrowth and amount of survivors (players and infected) vs the number of beds on the map, you'd be picking up pieces of thousands of people's survival attempts to build your own.

I have a bit of experience using zones in Arma games to make pseudo random AI spawning concentrations and movement and have a lot of faith DayZ's CLE will get dialed in and be better than previous systems when BI is done, and when modders start using it outside the box it's gonna be awesome 

• Like 2

In my opinion this, in my opinion that, worthless without giving a background or basis for your opinion.

Let me tell you a story, an exec comes in to view progress on a new car game. He plays for a bit and then tells developers that the cars needs more chrome. Devs asked exec why he thinks cars needs more chrome and exec replied that he felt cars didn't go fast enough and in his opinion adding more chrome would solve the problem. Devs adjusted car speed on the fly and avoided redoing a ton of textures by simply asking for basis of his opinion.

So what makes you feel that military weapons need to be more rare?

What makes you feel that we need more civilian loot in barns?

I you look at the aftermath of any disaster or displaced population where aid isn't immediately available and adequate the majority of people revert to acting like children hoarding stuff they think might be useful or animals, in my opinion it shouldn't make "sense" where you 90% of anything.

Just found double barrel and some pants with a couple of shells in them in type 2 barn, Im very happy :D

For anyone interested, it was the barn on next to/right side of Pik Kozlova Elektro side.

I found shotgun shells only in the same barn, the life before this one :)

Edited by cs_wolf

On 11/24/2016 at 7:57 AM, cs_wolf said:

When 0.61 hits stable I expect the loot to have minimized compared to experimental and start to feel balanced, so I would like to discuss here your thoughts on the rarity of certain items and locational loot.

Let me start with a few-

Guy wants balance and minimal loot.

First example: Asks for more guns.

Logic is strong with this one lol

On 11/24/2016 at 11:47 AM, Zing Freelancer said:

In my opinion this, in my opinion that, worthless without giving a background or basis for your opinion.

Let me tell you a story, an exec comes in to view progress on a new car game. He plays for a bit and then tells developers that the cars needs more chrome. Devs asked exec why he thinks cars needs more chrome and exec replied that he felt cars didn't go fast enough and in his opinion adding more chrome would solve the problem. Devs adjusted car speed on the fly and avoided redoing a ton of textures by simply asking for basis of his opinion.

So what makes you feel that military weapons need to be more rare?

What makes you feel that we need more civilian loot in barns?

Bi isn't that stupid, and never have been.

Guns should be lower in numbers due to the amount of survival gear that everyone has been searching for.

We can not have have them too low because what happens, the whole population will just server hop the best loot locations.

We have enough servers to handle this. We have enough exploits without making this a major #1 title after Dayz :(

Edited by sneakydude
had=have whatever i was thinking.

Imo, the loot distribution in .60 is flawed.  Head inland they said!  Me and 2 friends traveled from Berezino straight west and looted cities along the way.  By the time we made it to the North West Airfield, the most geared guy of the group only had a pistol with mag..  Maybe we were just unlucky, but I dont think this should ever happen.  This creates a huge disparity between the die hard players that have bases everywhere and the casual players.

I noticed a change in .61 with loot distribution seeing loot I havent seen in forever (speed reloader for the magnum!).  Found a Cz rifle with scope and magazine attached in Msta!  I'm not asking for instant gratification, I just think its more reasonable to give us casuals a fighting chance against the elites of the game.  I am absolutely loving the additional military location!  Devs are on the right path!

• Like 2

I was on last night and found a Makarov and shotgun in the barn with multiple stories. Additionally, I think I found a couple of shotgun shells :-)

BCBasher is right, there needs to be story line a long to go a long with the game play, even loot locations. What would be cool is if they added blood splatter and other static design to certain loot location so it would give the appearance of a fight. Maybe a few guns lying around with no ammo, like other survivors were fight off the dead and lost. Maybe a trail of blood going down the stairs of the barn and at the top, a chance for a gun to spawn.

The loot in .61 seems pretty balanced to me too. I can't wait to see it go stable... even though I will switch to exp. as soon as a new build is available!

Edited by ShallowTech
  • Like 1

I'm gonna say what I've said numerous times:

I think loot and food needs to be A: More random (definitely not split into areas or something)

B: More scarce

C: ruined items should spawn

That's all. :) 

It's been like 8 years seeing the same barns all over Chernarus, I would like those barns to be removed and replaced with new ones :)

Some barns like that ones would be nice:

de546cde0f7f7fc42a4bdd21a66d3fdb.jpg

Jared_L._Brush_Barn.JPG

12390704.jpg

Edited by Wili
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, VVarhead said:

I'm gonna say what I've said numerous times:

I think loot and food needs to be A: More random (definitely not split into areas or something)

B: More scarce

C: ruined items should spawn

That's all. :) 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by areas but I completely disagree with A. If I was searching for food I would search in the supermarket or bars, if I was trying to fix a car I would look for industrial buildings or if I wanted to gear up with military loot then I would go to military zones.

If all the loot is randomly distributed you would cluelessly run around searching every building and wasting time. But with specific loot at specific locations you have a real objective (where to go, how to approach the area etc.). This adds depth to the gameplay and creates choke points (e.g. hospitals, military bases).

For me it also breaks the immersion when I find something that definitly doesn't belong to the place where I found it.

C: Althoug this would be a bit more realistic it's not really necessary. You probably would be very frustrated if you found a gun but couldn't use it or even repair it. And in the end it's just bad for the performance.

• Like 1

I completely agree with the main topic, and the addition of more barns sounds phenomenal. I personally would take a Sawed-Off Double Barrel over an AK just because of how I like to survive and handle gunfights, but I can only manage to find them about one out of every twenty or so barns that I check, sometimes more. I would be extremely happy if the spawn rate of weaponry was increased in barns.

On 12/6/2016 at 0:38 PM, neeman70 said:

Imo, the loot distribution in .60 is flawed.  Head inland they said!  Me and 2 friends traveled from Berezino straight west and looted cities along the way.  By the time we made it to the North West Airfield, the most geared guy of the group only had a pistol with mag..  Maybe we were just unlucky, but I dont think this should ever happen.  This creates a huge disparity between the die hard players that have bases everywhere and the casual players.

I noticed a change in .61 with loot distribution seeing loot I havent seen in forever (speed reloader for the magnum!).  Found a Cz rifle with scope and magazine attached in Msta!  I'm not asking for instant gratification, I just think its more reasonable to give us casuals a fighting chance against the elites of the game.  I am absolutely loving the additional military location!  Devs are on the right path!

You'll have to head more up North in .61 to tisy and the base east of that to find good stuff since Myshkino tents and NWA is being made smaller with less loot.

When they said head up north they didn't mean you would find all the great stuff in towns along the way they meant up North to the military bases.

Only thing they lacked in .60 imo was the SVD and VSS. I've only found 2 SVD's in NWA and 1 VSS this whole patch.