Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

[REVIEW] Debug Monitor

I understand that some of these functions might be placeholder, but I just wanted to put my thoughts and concerns out there because we're getting so close to a finished product.

1. Health and Blood

• Not really a big issue for me, but it feels like its more useful for people that have just bought the game. I've always relied on visual cues like how bright my screen is to ascertain how healthy I was. I feel like this is catering to a certain class of players and its sort of useless to established players.

2. Temp

• Considering we have thermometers already in-game I'm not sure why this is in the Debug Monitor...seems redundant based on in-game assets. The only reason I thought this was cool was I was getting cold in-game, put on a coat, and saw my temp get stable. A beat up coat didn't stabilize my temp. Once I saw this, the temp in the debug monitor became useless. Reiterating, thermometers...

3. Worldspace

• This seems like its only useful for someone that just got the game. New players trying to find each other easily can use this to their advantage but isn't this what a GPS would do? In the mod the GPS was a very much prized possession. Map and compass are already out there so there's that. For streamers, this could be a serious problem with Stream Sniping.

4. Last Damage and Modifiers

• Is it really necessary to see if my leg is chipped on the main screen? It'll say it in the player UI and wouldn't it be cooler if there were auditory cues like The Long Dark has?

Things I would like to see...

1. The ability to turn the debug monitor off in settings as well as a keybinding for toggling it <on/off> in-game. Maybe I don't want it on at all, then I would turn it <off> in the settings. Maybe I want it on/off during certain times in-game, then I would turn toggle access <on> in the settings.
  2. The ability to change whats in it. Maybe I want to see how many infected I killed, players I killed, tires I've changed, cars I've repaired, how many players I've bandaged, or how many days I've been alive. This would be a cool addition for tracking soft-skills.
  3. The ability to change dynamics like size, color, opacity, location, etc. Maybe I want it on the bottom left of my screen instead of the top right, or maybe I want to change the color to grey. Perhaps I want it a bit transparent and more like a strip on the bottom of my screen instead of a box.
Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Just pointing out that the debug monitor is for EXP only at the moment.

Your points are fair enough if they make it a permanent thing though, but no indication of that.
My theory: Server side option in the future, but that's just me speculating.

I was under the impression it's only in experimental as a way of assisting with bug reports and tracking issues in game. as such I really don't see the point in this thread, no offence intended.

6 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

Just pointing out that the debug monitor is for EXP only at the moment.

Your points are fair enough if they make it a permanent thing though, but no indication of that.

Naturally its only in experimental. I will make its way to stable, there was a debug monitor in the mod and stat tracking will be part of SA.

5 minutes ago, stinkenheim said:

I was under the impression it's only in experimental as a way of assisting with bug reports and tracking issues in game. as such I really don't see the point in this thread, no offence intended.

No offence taken, but why would they need us to see a form of telemetry they already have at central? Doesn't make sense.

i have to disagree, i don´t like those "old" mod debug monitor.

it´s nice for testing on exp. but PLEASE don´t put it on stable.

you know you are low on blood and your screen greys out, nothing more you have to know.

also those symbols for belly full (on trello) and other "shit" i don´t want it!

for me those things are to "arcadisch"

8 minutes ago, wasnu said:

i have to disagree, i don´t like those "old" mod debug monitor.

it´s nice for testing on exp. but PLEASE don´t put it on stable.

you know you are low on blood and your screen greys out, nothing more you have to know.

also those symbols for belly full (on trello) and other "shit" i don´t want it!

for me those things are to "arcadisch"

Did you even bother to read my post? I requested an option to turn it <off/on> via settings and key bindings.

If you don't have anything to constructive to add please don't troll the topic please. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Did you even bother to read my post? I requested an option to turn it <off/on> via settings and key bindings.

If you don't have anything to constructive to add please don't troll the topic please. Thank you.

sorry, if you think i am trolling, you are wrong!

its my opinion and i don´t want these arcadisch debug monitor, even if i could turn it off/on

looks like you have to live with my opinion, sir ;)

3 minutes ago, wasnu said:

sorry, if you think i am trolling, you are wrong!

its my opinion and i don´t want these arcadisch debug monitor, even if i could turn it off/on

looks like you have to live with my opinion, sir ;)

This is a review on functionality not a petition to remove it from game. So yes, by you posting something that's completely off-topic is you looking for a verbal altercation. So please, keep it moving.

If you have something constructive to say, feel free to voice what functions you would like to see added or removed because the Debug Monitor is here and its a reality. They're not going to remove it completely...obviously.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Naturally its only in experimental. I will make its way to stable, there was a debug monitor in the mod and stat tracking will be part of SA

Just because something was in the mod doesn't mean it will make it to stable.
I'd be very surprised if there hasn't been a hidden debug monitor all along, they just chose to turn it on for now on EXP.
Unless the devs say its coming to stable we can assume its not coming to stable.

8 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

Just because something was in the mod doesn't mean it will make it to stable.
I'd be very surprised if there hasn't been a hidden debug monitor all along, they just chose to turn it on for now on EXP.
Unless the devs say its coming to stable we can assume its not coming to stable.

Pretty sure Hicks said its a new feature waaaaaay back. When have the implemented any feature like this just for Experimental...never.

They have this telemetry in the logs already and it serves zero purpose for end-user bug tracking in EXP.

This is a review on functionality not a petition to remove it from game. So yes, by you posting something that's completely off-topic is you looking for a verbal altercation. So please, keep it moving.

If you have something constructive to say, feel free to voice what functions you would like to see added or removed because the Debug Monitor is here and its a reality. They're not going to remove it completely...obviously.

sorry, i am out

thanks for your ignorance to other opinions, have fun and whatever.

To say it with my own words i wrote above, i don´t want any debug monitor, not even one witch can turned off/on, simply all i want.

i have no need to make sugestions for an "better" debug monitor, i don´t like it and thats my opinion.

Pretty sure Hicks said its a new feature waaaaaay back. When have the implemented any feature like this just for Experimental...never.

They have this telemetry in the logs already and it serves zero purpose for end-user bug tracking in EXP.

I do remember it being talked about as EXP only, but ofc I could be wrong. One of us is right, we'll find out eventually :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

When have the implemented any feature like this just for Experimental...never.

i don't think it was implemented for exp... it was implemented for testing (internal) and now simply enabled for 0.61 (experimental).

i guess when the new UI is there it will be gone again (or even sooner).

i am sure this is nothing that will make it into 1.0 by default (maybe mods). i would even bet money on it.

I think I'm in error. I've read something from Hicks stating this was for testing only. My apologies, please remove thread...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

I think I'm in error. I've read something from Hicks stating this was for testing only. My apologies, please remove thread...

Nothing wrong with feedback on it though.

Stuff that could be usefull for testing should always be welcome.

• Like 1

Interesting observations but Topic is not really required.
Thank you.

Closed.

• Like 2