degoe

I think the debug zone is immersion breaking, cant we make cherno an Island?

Hi.

I just saw a good video of FTLol https://youtu.be/PnjAt42Oazc?t=2m17s and again noticed people running into the debug zone. Imo this gives the feeling the world ends and software code stops. It gives me a bit of a buggy feeling, like something unfinished (maybe thats why its called debug). Also It enables players to driver their cars easily around the edge of the map and circumvent all roads and features the devs put hard work in. Because this is possible people will do it because it gives an advantage (easy looting). I feel this shouldn't be possible/allowed. All this together gives me the Idea this is something that needs fixing.

What do you think, should cherno be an Island, walled with mountains or do you have another idea to get rid of the debug zone. Do you like the debug zone? Why?

Ok it's an island, you get a boat, stock up on food an water and sail to water equivalent of debug zone also being able to circumvent all roads and features devs put hard work in. 

Edited by General Zod

https://forums.dayz.com/topic/234632-make-chernarus-an-island/#comment-2353018

Take a look at some of the conversation here... many points on both sides. 

I'm for an island idea that can expand into a variety of different island "worlds" instead of just falling off the edge of reality into dead grass. 

4 hours ago, degoe said:

Hi.

I just saw a good video of FTLol https://youtu.be/PnjAt42Oazc?t=2m17s and again noticed people running into the debug zone. Imo this gives the feeling the world ends and software code stops. It gives me a bit of a buggy feeling, like something unfinished (maybe thats why its called debug). Also It enables players to driver their cars easily around the edge of the map and circumvent all roads and features the devs put hard work in. Because this is possible people will do it because it gives an advantage (easy looting). I feel this shouldn't be possible/allowed. All this together gives me the Idea this is something that needs fixing.

What do you think, should cherno be an Island, walled with mountains or do you have another idea to get rid of the debug zone. Do you like the debug zone? Why?

Sometimes I wonder if an inaccessible densely wooded area would work better as a map border, but those types of map borders (Fallout for example) always just make me angry that I can't explore them.

• Like 1

In the aspect of lore it would make sense if Chernarus was an Island. Abandoned and isolated because of the outbreak. If it was not an island and you'd find yourself as a healthy person amidst infected and aggressive people, struggling to survive on limited resources you would probably try to leave that area and flee to a neighboring country.  

It'd ruin the lore this game has. Check the whole Arma 2 "world map" and you'll see this Chernarus is only small bit of the world.

1 hour ago, Just Caused said:

It'd ruin the lore this game has. Check the whole Arma 2 "world map" and you'll see this Chernarus is only small bit of the world.

IMO it makes no sense to maintain the history of Chernarus by pointing to ARMA 2, that is a different game with a different logic. DAYZ only happens to be based on the map ARMA 2 uses but with a different backstory. In A2 it made sense Chernarus was part of larger country / region but with DAYZ this does not have to be so.

1 hour ago, nl said:

IMO it makes no sense to maintain the history of Chernarus by pointing to ARMA 2, that is a different game with a different logic. DAYZ only happens to be based on the map ARMA 2 uses but with a different backstory. In A2 it made sense Chernarus was part of larger country / region but with DAYZ this does not have to be so.

Don't you think it's better idea to have one studio maintain one lore that it's good at? Would you like GTA VI to have lore that takes place after Saints Row IV? Would you like Mafia IV lore to take place in fictional city of Bioshock? It's just... I can't even explain it, if you're good at it, if your map suits the certain genre, you should continue using it. And Chernarus is perfect place for zombie apocalypse. Plenty of cities, woods, etc. Could have seasons too, but that's for another time. There's just too many survival games with islands? You know why? Because devs are lazy to combine those islands and make unicate and decorated terrain. I don't want damn sea, I want to see bigger forests.

This has been suggested multiple times and it has been brought down many times, it simply doesn't suit this map region, but I'm sure there'll be new maps with islands and etc.

Edited by Just Caused

I always thought having a large wall all the way around the border would be cool. There could be posters all over them saying "зона загрязнения" and there could be run-down check points at the end of roads that don't allow you through. 

or you know, something like this:

Edited by OliverPlotTwist
  • Like 1

In the Lore on our Roleplayserver, we have played it so that Chernarus was locked west and north of a death zone. The zone was a double wall containing a lethal biological barrier. It was played out that it is impossible to escape through this strip alive.
In order to illustrate the whole something, I have then constructed some pictures.
Chernarus with remnants of the Wall of Berlin and the border strip.

jrswsb7j.jpg

u8ldhryu.jpg

el32g5bz.jpg

65d6bfcy.jpg

x5sae7gl.jpg

Edited by Sqeezorz

There's more than one way to create natural barriers to prevent players from accessing the debug zone. It could be a lot more creative than simply "make it an island", I mean, take your pick: rocky outcrops, rivers, glacial valleys, hanging valleys...etc. The aim shouldn't just be to prevent access to the debug zone but also prevent players seeing the zone (at least from the ground) too.

• Like 3