Sign in to follow this  
iamjohnconnor

Any love for the crossbow?

At a time when the game is undergoing major changes I think it is worth having a look at the crossbow & maybe buffing it into a viable weapon in DayZ.

• Like 1

I've seen neither a crossbow or bolts in .61. I'd use one if I could find one, maybe have a revolver or an SMG as a backup/ PvP weapon.

It'd be neat if the crossbow could be folded up like the Trumpet.

It'd be nice to be able to craft your own bolts too. Birch branch, stone tip and some chicken feathers for fletching.

• Like 1

They seem rare enough in 0.61 I found about 20 bolts in a few houses in Gorka and had a great time playing with it.

It's so stealthy, I think it would add a while new type of game play and characters into the mix. Imagine a little squad of crossbow peeps, be afraid be very afraid :)

• Like 1

This weapon is much too large to fit inside a backpack, even if you removed the limbs. I made a little sketch to demonstrate this point over a year ago (M4A1s for comparison). It's as long as the rifle and with the limbs, as wide as the rifle is long. It's not small by any standard.

JD3iXDe.png

Another example:

PTfZobS.jpg

Also, right now it makes a faint "peeew" sound. It should make a fairly loud "CLACK", or "THWACK", or "THUNK", depending on your point of view. But not "peeew".

Edited by -Gews-

If bolts are persistent it would be a great weapon to clean up all the zeds. Tried it out but the bolts dissapear after killing a zed. But they are oneshot kill. After shooting on trees or walls you are able to pick the bolds up again. Someone tried out the range and accuracy with the pistol scope from the longhorn? I never had all three parts a crossbow, scope and bolts.

Edited by Arthur Dubrovka

So I have found a Crossbow in .61, and like 20 bolts (stacks of 5). My problem is I can't figure out how to load the stupid thing lol. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the bolt to be loaded into the bow. To be fair, I have never used a crossbow in any patch so it may just be an operator error.

10 hours ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

Someone tried out the range and accuracy with the pistol scope from the longhorn? I never had all three parts a crossbow, scope and bolts.

I never used this much, I prefer bow for archery challenge and rifle for serious play. It's not horrible. I did hit a zed around 200 m away on the first shot. Not a one-hit kill at that range. However I shot several arrows firing at people peeking out a second-story window from 150 m, couldn't see the impacts at night and was unable to connect. Short range weapon with extreme trajectory. Best if you keep the scope zeroed to 50 m.

On 11/19/2016 at 10:53 PM, JBURNS489 said:

So I have found a Crossbow in .61, and like 20 bolts (stacks of 5). My problem is I can't figure out how to load the stupid thing lol. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the bolt to be loaded into the bow. To be fair, I have never used a crossbow in any patch so it may just be an operator error.

i didn't try out the bow yet, but i think you should put the bow in your hands and arrows in one slot of the hotbar then press the slot's number.

On 19.11.2016 at 8:23 PM, JBURNS489 said:

could it be that you have to drop the bolts to your hotbar? 

like it works with reloading the bow

EDT: got ninjaad from vahid :)

Edited by wasnu

On 19/11/2016 at 7:23 PM, JBURNS489 said:

All I was doing was dragging the bolts onto the weapon when in hands, remember you also have to press 'R' to load the weapon each time, so I think you weren't pressing it. The hotbar also works on the corssbow to load the bolts from inventory directly to the bow in hands

On 19/11/2016 at 1:44 PM, Arthur Dubrovka said:

If bolts are persistent it would be a great weapon to clean up all the zeds. Tried it out but the bolts dissapear after killing a zed. But they are oneshot kill. After shooting on trees or walls you are able to pick the bolds up again. Someone tried out the range and accuracy with the pistol scope from the longhorn? I never had all three parts a crossbow, scope and bolts.

Got all three parts the other day, it was  a lot of fun but I didn't do any proper testing or filming, seemed very accurate in the 100 to 200 range

• Like 1

On 18-11-2016 at 10:17 PM, GaryWalnuts said:

It'd be nice to be able to craft your own bolts too. Birch branch, stone tip and some chicken feathers for fletching.

The only reason I  never pick up the crossbow is because i just cannot find any arrows for it.

On 11/18/2016 at 3:53 PM, BeefBacon said:

I've seen neither a crossbow or bolts in .61. I'd use one if I could find one, maybe have a revolver or an SMG as a backup/ PvP weapon.

It'd be neat if the crossbow could be folded up like the Trumpet.

One i found in a hunters stand today actually.

On 11/18/2016 at 1:39 PM, iamjohnconnor said:

At a time when the game is undergoing major changes I think it is worth having a look at the crossbow & maybe buffing it into a viable weapon in DayZ.

It should have a strap to sling over the back, as secondary weapon.

or attach to the backpack itself, forcing you to retrieve it.