Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.136182

12 hours ago, kataro said:

To avoid hypothermia you must use a helmet and rain coat. With this gear you can stay in rain

I've been using firefighter's jacket and pants, drybag, wellies, respirator mask and motorcycle helmet.  imho the best 100% water-proof + insulation + inventory slot combo - though it doesn't look great.   With those items you can sit hours in any rainstorm without even getting a damp status - and if you don't get wet you don't get cold. It seems counter-intuitive but when you start adding more insulating items it will make things worse because they are plus+insulation but minus-absorption  .... and thus incur a mild damp status which begins your slide towards the cold side ... Whatever insulation gain might come from gloves, balaclavas, hats, glasses, vests and holsters it is cancelled out by their higher absorption rate and not worth it (if your only objective is to stay dry and thus warm).  All have a negative impact on your waterproofyness and all lead to a fire in your future.  Even the primary weapon seems to incur a damp status.

Edited by GaryWalnuts
added dampening item: glasses
  • Like 3

So after losing interest in Dayz shortly after the 0.60 update i thought i would give it another go. I spawned in Cherno and ran towards the police station where i encountered two people who were friendly enough then a guy in full Gorka with a chest carrier rolled up with an AK and just shot me in the head. To which i rage quit off the game, i will give it another go when the 0.61 comes out of experimental but the biggest problems in my opinion are lack of content (Which i know is coming and i realise the game is in only alpha) and another problem is the people who run around towns KOS fresh spawns because it makes them feel big and hard. 

1 hour ago, Marshall1908 said:

So after losing interest in Dayz shortly after the 0.60 update i thought i would give it another go. I spawned in Cherno and ran towards the police station where i encountered two people who were friendly enough then a guy in full Gorka with a chest carrier rolled up with an AK and just shot me in the head. To which i rage quit off the game, i will give it another go when the 0.61 comes out of experimental but the biggest problems in my opinion are lack of content (Which i know is coming and i realise the game is in only alpha) and another problem is the people who run around towns KOS fresh spawns because it makes them feel big and hard. 

If dying by KOS makes you rage quit... then this game is not for you. 

Besides spawning in and running straight for a police station is in fact a go to move......ow wait....

• Like 2

Aah 30mins waiting. Finaly in UK05 and all i hear is a gunshot "youre dead" :) Oh well. Now i'm gonna hunt down the killer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marshall1908 said:

I absolutely hate KOS myself but rage quitting shows them nothing.

I've had the exact opposite situation any time I've tried to "help" too, walk into Electro in full Gorka and a cowboy hat with a big bag of pumpkin slices and water bottles and am always met with freshie fists and similar nonsense. Deep down I like how this game changes people based on their experiences or in my case challenges my will to keep doing the "right thing". I still walk into MIL sites with my weapon on my shoulder and greet people with a wave instead of a gun barrel, when it goes wrong it sucks but when it goes right it's memorable.

The only rational solution if you want to use the game you paid for is if you spawn in a big coastal city you orient your back towards town center and start running and never come back.

If you do this .61 might be a great patch for you, I've hardly seen a soul inland and the few I have outside NWAF were neutral at the worst if not downright friendly.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GaryWalnuts said:

I've been using firefighter's jacket and pants, drybag, wellies, respirator mask and motorcycle helmet.  imho the best 100% water-proof + insulation + inventory slot combo - though it doesn't look great.   With those items you can sit hours in any rainstorm without even getting a damp status - and if you don't get wet you don't get cold. It seems counter-intuitive but when you start adding more insulating items it will make things worse because they are plus+insulation but minus-absorption  .... and thus incur a mild damp status which begins your slide towards the cold side ... Whatever insulation gain might come from gloves, balaclavas, hats, glasses, vests and holsters it is cancelled out by their higher absorption rate and not worth it (if your only objective is to stay dry and thus warm).  All have a negative impact on your waterproofyness and all lead to a fire in your future.  Even the primary weapon seems to incur a damp status.

Aren't you getting hot wearing that?

I got my sense of direction back yesterday and hit every mil site besides Vybor and NWAF and am sporting full Gorka, vest, assault bag, and my trademark cowboy hat and face mask. I should be fairly waterproof but now I'm stuck at over 37.5c I've run through ponds and creeks and even if I stop and lay down for half an hour to heal when I get beat up by infected.

I work outdoors in all weather with a wildly varying pace and proper clothing can be manipulated on the fly to let out excess heat when you're working hard and then seal the heat in when the pace slows. An option like "zip" and "unzip" on coats toggling their insulation values for running and being still would be cool with bigger ranges for purpose built stuff like the hiking jacket and military clothes.

• Like 2

Im gonna play some more experimental today, can anyone give me some ideas of things to try out? I was playing earlier looking for new items, didn't find anything new. I went and checked out tisy base, tried out the new gun sounds (which are great), and went and found some wolves. Is there any new survival stuff added to the experimental patch? Like new improvised items, or hunting/farming activities to do? Is the bow fixed?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tw0311 said:

Im gonna play some more experimental today, can anyone give me some ideas of things to try out? I was playing earlier looking for new items, didn't find anything new. I went and checked out tisy base, tried out the new gun sounds (which are great), and went and found some wolves. Is there any new survival stuff added to the experimental patch? Like new improvised items, or hunting/farming activities to do? Is the bow fixed?

There isn't many new loot items but knock off Converse high top sneakers are in!

There's no new survival mechanics but the existing ones are now worth doing again because finding cans can be really luck based.

Not sure if it's new with .61 i think it is part of the audio update but you can track cows and elk by sound with your stereo speakers or headphones.

• Like 2

I was running with DaveB around the north end of Green Mountain and we came across someone probably coming from the new mini base in that area. I called out to him "Hello survivor!" He didn't answer. "Hello there! We'll keep our distance just wanted to let you know we're here!"

Nothing- then gunfire. From him. 

Then more... and more. I pulled my glock out and maneuvered hoping Dave would get some shots in on him as a distraction but he didn't have time before I'd closed with the guy. I shot at him a bunch of times and killed him- but not before he'd shot me once and killed me with an SKS. 

Fucking sick of idiots like that.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, eno said:

I was running with DaveB around the north end of Green Mountain and we came across someone probably coming from the new mini base in that area. I called out to him "Hello survivor!" He didn't answer. "Hello there! We'll keep our distance just wanted to let you know we're here!"

Nothing- then gunfire. From him. 

Then more... and more. I pulled my glock out and maneuvered hoping Dave would get some shots in on him as a distraction but he didn't have time before I'd closed with the guy. I shot at him a bunch of times and killed him- but not before he'd shot me once and killed me with an SKS. 

Fucking sick of idiots like that.

If I don't hear a response in three seconds I channel my spirit animal the jackrabbit and GTFO.

That kind of suck is going to continue until the game is finished enough we can make our own "dimensions" with specific servers and those guys go see how much fun a sandbox is when everyone just kicks sand in each others faces somewhere else.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

If I don't hear a response in three seconds I channel my spirit animal the jackrabbit and GTFO.

That kind of suck is going to continue until the game is finished enough we can make our own "dimensions" with specific servers and those guys go see how much fun a sandbox is when everyone just kicks sand in each others faces somewhere else.

That sounds like what our new protocol should be... fight or flight after 3 seconds situation dependent. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, eno said:

That sounds like what our new protocol should be... fight or flight after 3 seconds situation dependent. 

I haven't needed it yet but really want the supersonic snap back with the new stereo sound system and I'll be golden.

iv8gbiT.jpg

Anyone with this graphics bug? Only saw it near NWA. Nvidia lates drivers. Didn't see this earlier today when i played.
Oh and thanks to who ever killed me before for not touching my stuff. Everything was there pristine.

I was mucking around with sneaking around infected the last two days on low pop servers and found a few neat things.

I hooked up an old home theater set at my weekday home with and adjustable sub and been cranking the home theater and playing on the big screen in the city. The footsteps have a really low frequency thud that is inaudible on small speakers. The thud can be heard maybe fifty feet when I'd guess the higher frequency slapping and crunching sound can only be heard half that. I'm guessing player footsteps are the same.

I saw more of the infected having a secondary awareness stat like "I think something might be over there" I didn't see one and sprinted standing right up to the edge of it's view range and immediately crouched and watched. It did that shoulder wiggle like it was thinking about agroing but didn't, it did start doing it's slow wander right towards where I stopped. I stayed still as it wander closer to a point where it would see me crouched so I started a crouched sidestep keeping my distance and making my way to where I first saw him standing. It walked right to where it though it saw me paused and then went back to a random wander.

Do wolves chase infected or do infected chase wolves? I was in the abandoned military base when i picked up a conga line of infected I ran em around to tire them a bit before barricading in the newer wide barracks and went prone to get them to forget about me. I heard howls medium close, then close, then about half as many infected footsteps but no commotion outside. The server crashed right after so I have no idea what happened, I left the base and circled the area once but never encountered the wolves.  

• Like 2

I saw some wolves attack infected last night while I was overlooking Novy- the Wolves definitely initiated and then the zombies responded to that and attacked. Then they were mutually going at each other- I think the wolves won every round. 

Edited by eno
messed up one of the wolves.
  • Like 4

I too discovered weird infected AI.

I was looting and sneaking when I spotted a player blast over a field at top speed. He used a gun to despose of some infected. 

Meanwhile most infected attacked the house i was just chilling in..... this is a gamebreaker in this 0.61 i think. 

6 hours ago, Marshall1908 said:

pro tip: run away and hide from heavily armed people. think of them as zombies but with automatic weapons. no one ever said "Oh great I have an akm with a drum mag, let's go to the coast and make friends with fresh spawns."

• Like 1

Maybe it's a shitty workaround but is intended to make it difficult to lay in a bush sniping people actually playing the zombie game.

10 minutes ago, McWendy said:

I too discovered weird infected AI.

I was looting and sneaking when I spotted a player blast over a field at top speed. He used a gun to despose of some infected. 

Meanwhile most infected attacked the house i was just chilling in..... this is a gamebreaker in this 0.61 i think. 

9 minutes ago, freethink said:

pro tip: run away and hide from heavily armed people. think of them as zombies but with automatic weapons. no one ever said "Oh great I have an akm with a drum mag, let's go to the coast and make friends with fresh spawns."

:(

I do...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seitan said:

Anyone with this graphics bug? Only saw it near NWA. Nvidia lates drivers. Didn't see this earlier today when i played.

I had similar bug near Veresnik hill with AMD graphics card. It only happened when I used right click to zoom, it stopped after leaving the area.

• Like 1

Can anyone give me an unofficial list of what is/what is not quite working right in this current exp patch?

A few things I noticed in my short session earlier:

Rabbit traps are placing right but don't seem to be functioning still.

Barrel disappeared, couldn't interact with it except that I would still collide with where it was.

Not noticing much status update. I don't seem to be getting hungrier/thirstier.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

Maybe it's a shitty workaround but is intended to make it difficult to lay in a bush sniping people actually playing the zombie game.

I was trying to play the infected game. But me being silent and still aggroing Infected because some fool 200 yards down shoots his rifles seems hardly a good workaround  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCBasher said:

:(

I do...

We do too, you are not alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McWendy said:

I was trying to play the infected game. But me being silent and still aggroing Infected because some fool 200 yards down shoots his rifles seems hardly a good workaround  

That's why I said shitty, I'm playing AUS and SNG 1pp and with low pops I'm getting a nice experience up north aside from them spawning behind me when I've carefully swept the town on my way in. Now that  I know about it I do go loud when I get a feeling to see if they all come to me or not, Id' rather see them stick to who alerts them in spite of the negatives it causes. 

• Like 1