Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.136182

Warhead, if you can and you have enough rags and a knife or something to cut stuff down, I'd suggest crawling to a bush and making a splint because you may get some squeaker pretending to be there to help you and instead shoots you.

the infected ai after they are angered is a bit silly. it's basically just a radar where they know exactly where you are. inside/outside it doesn't matter until you are out of range. What I noticed today is once in chase mode the radar will pick out players the infected hadn't previously seen and also know exactly where there are even if they haven't seen them.

I watched (in 3rd behind a fence) a guy being chased by a zombie then i presume he got away because suddenly the zombie started running towards me despite there being no way it could've seen me.

• Like 5

There is some bug with gun sound, you can hear when some player shooting if he shooting 100-200m around you, if he shooting from 400-500m or more, you can't hear sound.. Please fix that  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, freethink said:

the infected ai after they are angered is a bit silly. it's basically just a radar where they know exactly where you are. inside/outside it doesn't matter until you are out of range. What I noticed today is once in chase mode the radar will pick out players the infected hadn't previously seen and also know exactly where there are even if they haven't seen them.

I watched (in 3rd behind a fence) a guy being chased by a zombie then i presume he got away because suddenly the zombie started running towards me despite there being no way it could've seen me.

Yeah, I saw that issue in the past patches, seems they haven´t fixed it. Happened to me twice while I was just stalking people from the top of a police station.

• Like 1

Finally got a couple hours to try things out and gotta say that this is my favorite patch so far.  

Zed count is amazing and i cant wait till they iron them out a bit.

Noticed food is scarce.  i found only one can which i like.  

Ammo is scarce aswell though i did find a reasonable amount.

Noticed meat cleaver is very op.  got cornered in a house by 10 or more zeds and was able to chop my way through all of them (only to be shot after though i genuinely think it was an accident).

Have yet to be trapped in the rain but am prepaired to survive if need be.

You are still able to spam apple trees but imo you should be.  never seen an apple tree that takes longer than a couple mins to get an arseload of apples.

Met one friendly and one not so friendly so far and am very much looking foreward to wolves so am headed toward the nw of the map from the se in hopes to encounter some.  

Only had one buggy moment when fighting a zed.  I hit him and ran out the door closing it behind me and suddenly i was inside with it door still closed.  also had one point where 2 were able to get into police station when doors were closed.  otherwise the whole session  went very smooth. 

Very excited about .61!  

Edited by FunkInYourTrunk
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

Finally got a couple hours to try things out and gotta say that this is my favorite patch so far.  

Noticed meat cleaver is very op.  got cornered in a house by 10 or more zeds and was able to chop my way through all of them (only to be shot after though i genuinely think it was an accident).

You are still able to spam apple trees but imo you should be.  never seen an apple tree that takes longer than a couple mins to get an arseload of apples.

Met one friendly and one not so friendly so far and am very much looking foreward to wolves so am headed toward the nw of the map from the se in hopes to encounter some.  

Only had one buggy moment when fighting a zed.  I hit him and ran out the door closing it behind me and suddenly i was inside with it door still closed.  also had one point where 2 were able to get into police station when doors were closed.  otherwise the whole session  went very smooth. 

Very excited about .61!  

Ya, make apple trees more scarce, but easier to loot (without glitching) IMO. At the moment I find it almost impossible to starve as there are apple trees everywhere. Maybe just have them spawn apples and pick them up through the inventory? Aside from this, is there a rough estimate of when this patch is due? That's all I want for Christmas (or before :) ). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

Very excited about .61!  

Honestly, canned food and ammo isn't as scarce as people think it is. Is it harder to find ammo? Sure, but it's because of players fully looting towns in order for it to be harder for others to find ammo or canned food. There's been times when I've found no food or ammo, then others where I've found enough that I didn't have to worry about ammo for a while. It all depends on which towns you go to loot and how long it's been since a player had been through there. 

Spamming apple trees sucks :) Sure, it should be easy just to get all the apples you could see and reach, as in real life. Maybe 15-20 apples per tree at maximum? But as far as that vast availability of fruit ... bring more of the rotten or even unripe ones! ;) And if there is ever to be different seasons in DayZ, it should make sense.

I really like this .61 patch that seems to be slowly but surely getting ahead. Hats off for getting the wolves in! They're scary. I can imagine what would it be to encounter a bear. :) The environmental dangers, and the search for resources, especially that of Chernaruss, should always remind all players that it is lurking everywhere. Specifically those PVP-only players.The dynamic spawn of the infected in all towns and that loot on them is a great feature which I thought was missing so much in this game. I was able to clear out Shahovka town with my Amphibia but they seemed to respawn when I got the last few of them and was just about to leave town, so I'm not sure how that whole thing works. There is still present this occasional framerate lag or stutter. Maybe some other player moved in closer to that same town. What bothers me sometimes is the ability of the infected to jump over tall fences, yet sometimes go all the way around the knee-top ones. What bothers me even more is the fact that I myself as a player can't jump over those same tall fences or even climb some areas that look so easy to climb on in the first place! :D The general response when jumping over obstacles is much better, as said earlier in the status reports, which is cool. I can't wait for that new player controller getting into the game.

The sound engine and gunshot sounds are great now, although overall, clearly there should be some tweaking done here and there. For example, when you sometimes barely hear the infected that is chasing you or actually screaming at your face. There is also this strange sound balance glitch when playing in 3rd person and lowering your view at the ground. It gets moved to the left in your headphones. The footsteps sounds are somewhat lower which I generally like. I just wish we could be able to sneak up on or sneak by people more efficiently if we're already making an effort to crouch and move slower. Another thing you knew that it's night time (besides getting dark lol) was that sound of the wind through the tree tops. Wandering through the woods in the night, I could really enjoy hearing night crickets also. :)

Great job altogether, keep it up! :)

• Like 5

OP Apple solution? ....diarrhea!  Eat to many, and you'll have to find new pants :) .

I thought about the seasonal produce thing as well, as it could facilitate the need for preserving food (canning, salting, etc) in the future maybe. I try so hard not to use apples, as they make hunger and thirst pretty easy to combat....but I still always seem to end up in an orchard regardless.

I'm heading into .61 for the first time tonight

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, cirkular said:

Sure, it should be easy just to get all the apples you could see and reach, as in real life. Maybe 15-20 apples per tree at maximum? But as far as that vast availability of fruit ... bring more of the rotten or even unripe ones! ;)

Yeah I would like more unripe/rotten apples that'd be cool

------

There might be a sound glitch with the M70 Winchester. I was in the deer stand above Staroye and my friend was on the hill about 150m away and he shot Winchester twice and I couldn't hear it. Later on, we were on Veresnik hill and 2 people sprinted up to my friend and started spraying him with AK. I killed the first with a Winchester and the other didn't even turn around to see who shot his friend. He just kept shooting at my friend and I killed him as well. My other friend less than 100m away in the base said he couldn't hear any of my shots either.

Edit: come to think of it my friend didn't hear any of the multiple gunshots on the hill from their AKs or my Winchester. I think sounds might just be glitched overall. We could hear some shots but in those 2 instances we didn't.

Edited by Kohlbar

6 hours ago, Kohlbar said:

Edit: come to think of it my friend didn't hear any of the multiple gunshots on the hill from their AKs or my Winchester. I think sounds might just be glitched overall. We could hear some shots but in those 2 instances we didn't.

Can confirm, gun sounds are often glitched in total like before and can't be heard at all. I think it's even independent of the new eden sound module and more tied to other desync issues. I am not sure, but sometimes not hearing sounds was combined with having glitched status like hydrated/energized as well.

20 hours ago, Thurman Merman said:

I just met a guy up at Tisy.  His VOIP was appropriate volume, and he didn't complain about mine...

Voip still seems to be very loud. I had 2 encounters, both loud.

1 hour ago, barelyinfected said:

Voip still seems to be very loud. I had 2 encounters, both loud.

Thats why it is in the known issues Rene <3

Updated OP with some stuff noticed over the start of the weekend - will update if we notice any more.
Sound issues with gunshots is likely tied to server side performance issues, but could also easily be tied to ongoing work being done dealing with bugs related to the rework of the network architecture in .61. Thats why we're in exp and not stable ;) The team will dig into it on Monday.

• Like 5

I only had one encounter and the voip was fine from what I could tell, was playing on the SNG 1pp, I spotted a guy said "hello, can you hear me". He said "harooo?" then ran away when I accidentally raised my fists trying to wave.

I started carrying a compass and stopped running lost in circles like a noob last night, made my way with purpose to NWAF to get a vest and was not disappointed. I ran straight there from the coast unarmed in a yellow raincoat intending to just sneak through and try and talk my way out of death if need be. I found a new black assault pack, kinda cool 32 slots and looks very similar to the khaki one I have in real life, how long have those been in?

I tried a flashbang on an infected in the middle of the airfield and my results were slightly different this time, my target again had no reaction nor the one behind him to the right but one to the left 50 feet or so behind locked on to me instantly and charged. I just sprinted and so far as I can tell in 1pp with how well you can look over your shoulder maybe 3 chased me a bit, I put some distance on them then went back to crouch walking and the were all "where'd he go?" and started wandering again. I got ones attention again in the tents and tried the same thing running six out into a field and sneaking around back to the tents, they seemed to quickly wander their way back to their stations then start shambling around aimlessly again.

I found my vest just as I drew agro from one and while crouched got into a push fight with him because I wan't leaving without my vest, I took very little damage pushing back while crouched like the wolves. As I was escaping after getting the vest I heard cows so I ran towards the sound, this is where it got fun/funny the cows sprint at exactly the same speed as the player so I was able to stay in the middle of the herd for quite some time and only lost them when they turned back towards the airfield and I went straight because I was done there.   

• Like 4

Testing zombie following and how easily I can tire them and make a zombie train. In the end I've pack of zombies that are slower than me walking... then the server restarted/crashed

They're not good to hit you if you just move. Also shows how bad something like a zombie fatigue is for the survival gameplay. Though it was interested to see that I can tire them that much.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, bingo_fuel said:

First Person or 3rd Person? On the 1pp hive I'm in that area.

Very kind, thanks, but I solved the problem. A survivor was nice enough to react to my cries (and gunshots) for help

Edited by VVarhead
  • Like 2

St Jimmy,

great test but really not all that bad as a game mechanic. They will not tire out further and you will. If you tried to do anything but lead them they would start hitting you, and you would be bleeding immediately, and your options would narrow.  But great test for sure.

If they made the zombies louder so they would attract others that are around you out of sight it might be cool. The one on the hill should not have had to be bumped by you to get engaged, he should have seen you moving in broad daylight and come to the fun...

25 minutes ago, St. Jimmy said:

Also shows how bad something like a zombie fatigue is for the survival gameplay. Though it was interested to see that I can tire them that much.

A new player stamina system comes later and makes the thing really interesting :)
(You will not always be able to run like now!)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, St. Jimmy said:

Though it was interested to see that I can tire them that much.

We're getting stamina too eventually.......

• Like 2

I like the idea that zombies get distracted and chase after another target. Whether it's intentional or not, it could be used to great effect...

1) While zombies are trailing you, get yourself in a position where there is another player in line between you and them, do it right and at least some should switch to the other player.
2) Using distractions. Meat would be the obvious, but the radio (if it can be set to play sound while on the ground) would also be good. Zombie is chasing you? Drop something. Random chance, depending on the item dropped, for the zombie to stop and examine (or eat).
3) Animals. This sort of happened to me in the very early SA alpha. I was being chased by a zombie a chicken ran between our paths and the zombie chose to chase the chicken instead.

All just suggestions of course, but I do like the idea that zombie aggro is not just a case of kill, be killed or run out of range.

• Like 1

maybe, but it feels not right how the zeds act.

was sitting under an tree in cherno at night waiting for the end of rain.

"my" zeds does his iddle thing or what ever it is called without noticing me. other player shoots with an shotgun max 100m away from me and i thought nice...go zed go and get him.

nope, he stayed with me and did not aggro the shooter.

next example, shoot with an unsuppressed weapon and wait for the zed train coming for you, kill one or two of them with an suppressed weapon and run 30m left or right. the zeds will run to the point where you are when shooting unsuppressed and stop aggroing you.

for me, the zeds in the mod felt more as an threat then this new zeds, sorry, great to see zeds are back but their acting is weired

Edited by wasnu
  • Like 2

Well I think I didn't make it, cholera got the best of me. Had to logout when I was around 600 blood so I need to lose 100 blood and then I go unconscious. Of course when unconscious I can not hydrate myself so my hydration will go down and eventually my normal natural blood regeneration will kick in instead of the high regeneration which will lead to 3 blood each time instead of 1. I think I have medium impact cholera so I think you can't beat medium or high impact cholera on your own. Perhaps medium if you're on full blood, can't confirm that. But if you get cholera and you want to try and survive then you should act as soon as you get to stage 1. Get light green energized and light green hydrated, find yourself a water pump or like me a gas cannister and fill it with water and sit still until you either die or survive. When you vomitted because of drinking too much water you need to make sure to be light green energized by eating apples.

Wish the anti-biotics would work because I read the Wikipedia on cholera and it says that one of the treatments is anti-biotics. But I think cholera is the worst disease you can get in DayZ at the moment so defintitely be careful with drinking pond water.

Also, I think I drank at least 2,5 gas canisters of water which is 50 liters of water.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 3

Glad that most desync is gone in this patch even though the server performance is a bit lower. 

• Like 1

Hello all.

Today i was trying to figure out what is the problem with the sounds(gunshots) with my mates , the thing is that nude character will appear after the player is approx 200m away from you and you cant hear the shots of the player if previous you didnt got full character texture on your screen if he is not close to you below 200m(even if you are close to player under 200m you cant hear the shots if you previously you didn't saw him). Sound is bugged togather with the nude character appearing obviously , and its unplayable atm on exp branch.It would be nice if you can rollback backup before last update! Keep going guyz!

8 minutes ago, CONFy- said:

Hello all.

Today i was trying to figure out what is the problem with the sounds(gunshots) with my mates , the thing is that nude character will appear after the player is approx 200m away from you and you cant hear the shots of the player if previous you didnt got full character texture on your screen if he is not close to you below 200m(even if you are close to player under 200m you cant hear the shots if you previously you didn't saw him). Sound is bugged togather with the nude character appearing obviously , and its unplayable atm on exp branch.It would be nice if you can rollback backup before last update! Keep going guyz!

I guess you have no clue what Experimental is meant for. In Experimental shit might be broken and we have to deal with it because, well... it's called Experimental for a reason. Unless it's really unplayable (and hearing no gunshot sounds is not unplayable) they might rollback to an earlier build which worked. They did that when they did an update and the servers were totally unplayable after that update so they reversed it until they fixed it. They reversed it a few times to be honest, that particular patch.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1