Sign in to follow this  
gaweu

Are those "fixes" temporary or this is really way dayz dev's gonna follow

Sorry for bad english, for some it can be really painfull to read this because of grammar :)

Hi. 

So first of all i wanna say that i think im common DayZ player which in my opinion is someone who just plays game daily after big patches and then if i was not satisfied i just move on back to other games while checking forums here or at reddit to just be up to date with updates etc etc. Obviously right now there is more hype and more updates because at last we have new renderer and sounds which are amazing while u have over 100 fps in towns with AA on and stuff. It took while but i always was patient and I didnt have problem like some of us have that development of game take so much time. I was always on Dev's side when people were bitching and stuff because i saw things going slowly but in good direction although i wanna add that im not a "funboy". Right now i need to say that im a bit confused if they are still going good direction even after 0.61 exp and that is why.

I was watching some dayz streamer and that was sacriel to be specyfic and in some point he was talking about why he is so upset with You dev's and the way You are taking care of bugs or stuff that just doesnt work. He pointed out stuff like:

- Ammo glitch that You could move ammo from gun ( when it was visible there few patches ago ) to inventory and this way You could have infinite ammount of ammo. You fixed it by removing this icon from game so now You need to empty gun everytime to see if there is any.

- Camo building dont spawn anything. He said that it was mainly because of bug that You could glitch in to wall and kill people from there ( btw i can exactly remember those explits and how annyoing it was ). Your fix was removing loot so people just dont go there anymore.

- People were able to somehow spawn alot of weapons on heli crashsites. Your fix was to remove weapons from crashsites.

I think he pointed out few more but im not writing here to just put some bugs/probles here. The thing is that  I never tought about those this way before and i need to say that this made me think about it a litte more and Im a bit upset now and disapointed. Not because there are bugs in game or soemthing is not working like it should because that is why this is ALPHA. I start to think that those above are not just tempolar fixes so players can play and enjoy game with out exploiters and that they are gonna be fixed as soon as there will be known way to do it but that those things gonna stay like that forever only because its just easier. Why i think like this? Im not code/programer guy so i have no clue how hard it can be to fix this lootspawning/ammo stuff but i play a bit with 3d stuff and graphic and i just dont know why someone who is doing 3d models on enviroment stuff cant just fix that Camo building by adding freaking room right there that You can simply enter so there is no problem with glitchers anymore. Im also pretty sure that for poeple with such experience its srsly like not even a full day of work because in worst case You can just take other room, copy and mirror it and paste it in that place and probably if You update that model it will even automaticly update at map right? Maybe its a bit harder then that but is it really that hard to do so loot was removed from that building over year ago and we need to wait for it till new controler that will be in beta that probably will hit in like half of Year or so? I know some might think its not big deal because it just one of many buildings and Brian already said it gonna be fixed in future right? But what if this gonna happen to every other bug that will be easier to bypass like that even if it can be fixed in day or two and we will end up with game like H1Z1 instead. Please no.

I just hope Dev's can correct me and they gonna say that all this kind of stuff gonna be taken care of in future and that they not gonna use the "simple" way of fixing stuff by just removing things that are good ideas/features only because they have problem with fixing them.

TL DR:

There are some bugs/problems that were fixed by removing bugged things/features from game. There are some that probably could be fixed in short time ( camo building example ) but still they were just bypassed. I hope this wont be way that dev's wanna follow because we will end up with H1Z1 type of game/development instaed.

Edited by gaweu
  • Like 1

Just read the tl;dr because it was a bit hard to follow your grammar. The camo building wall glitch is most likely tied to larger systems such as network synchronizations/collision detection? and cannot just be fixed with a few lines of code. A lot of the consensus is that because it looks relatively easy to do then it must be really easy to fix right? Wrong.

Trust in the devs, they know more about game dev than the streamers that talk like they do.

Also h1z1 is so shit you can't even call it a survival game

Edited by DannyDog
  • Like 1

There is absolutely no point diverting valuable man hours to fixing bugs on items which are either still in development or will be completely reworked down the pipe line of development.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

Just read the tl;dr because it was a bit hard to follow your grammar. The camo building wall glitch is most likely tied to larger systems such as network synchronizations/collision detection? and cannot just be fixed with a few lines of code. A lot of the consensus is that because it looks relatively easy to do then it must be really easy to fix right? Wrong.

Trust in the devs, they know more about game dev than the streamers that talk like they do.

Also h1z1 is so shit you can't even call it a survival game

Sorry. English is not my native language and i tryed my best :P 

If You would read my camo building example You would know that i asked why guys that are making models cant just add room in that place where people were glitching in to wall. That would probably fix problem and also additional room would be great thing.

I trust them most of the time and thats why i made this topic. 

H1Z1 meant to be surivival game at start but they failed and we all know where they are at this point. Thats also point why i made this topic because i hope dayz wont end up similar.

17 minutes ago, BeaverProductions said:

There is absolutely no point diverting valuable man hours to fixing bugs on items which are either still in development or will be completely reworked down the pipe line of development.

I know but what if You can fix something and also add some extra feature like additional room in same time? Its win/win situation.

59 minutes ago, gaweu said:

I know but what if You can fix something and also add some extra feature like additional room in same time? Its win/win situation.

Thats not exactly fixing the problem because somewhere in the code that bug persists and could happen again in a different situation. Perhaps the legacy systems that contain this bug have reached its peak and the devs have tried all possible solutions but one. Rewrite the system from scratch.

• Like 1

Well, they just don't like fixing things in the current stage of development. However, I can assure you it will be fixed way later. Just gotta be extremely patient. :P

On 11/17/2016 at 4:23 AM, gaweu said:

Sorry for bad english, for some it can be really painfull to read this because of grammar :)

Hi. 

So first of all i wanna say that i think im common DayZ player which in my opinion is someone who just plays game daily after big patches and then if i was not satisfied i just move on back to other games while checking forums here or at reddit to just be up to date with updates etc etc. Obviously right now there is more hype and more updates because at last we have new renderer and sounds which are amazing while u have over 100 fps in towns with AA on and stuff. It took while but i always was patient and I didnt have problem like some of us have that development of game take so much time. I was always on Dev's side when people were bitching and stuff because i saw things going slowly but in good direction although i wanna add that im not a "funboy". Right now i need to say that im a bit confused if they are still going good direction even after 0.61 exp and that is why.

I was watching some dayz streamer and that was sacriel to be specyfic and in some point he was talking about why he is so upset with You dev's and the way You are taking care of bugs or stuff that just doesnt work. He pointed out stuff like:

- Ammo glitch that You could move ammo from gun ( when it was visible there few patches ago ) to inventory and this way You could have infinite ammount of ammo. You fixed it by removing this icon from game so now You need to empty gun everytime to see if there is any.

- Camo building dont spawn anything. He said that it was mainly because of bug that You could glitch in to wall and kill people from there ( btw i can exactly remember those explits and how annyoing it was ). Your fix was removing loot so people just dont go there anymore.

- People were able to somehow spawn alot of weapons on heli crashsites. Your fix was to remove weapons from crashsites.

I think he pointed out few more but im not writing here to just put some bugs/probles here. The thing is that  I never tought about those this way before and i need to say that this made me think about it a litte more and Im a bit upset now and disapointed. Not because there are bugs in game or soemthing is not working like it should because that is why this is ALPHA. I start to think that those above are not just tempolar fixes so players can play and enjoy game with out exploiters and that they are gonna be fixed as soon as there will be known way to do it but that those things gonna stay like that forever only because its just easier. Why i think like this? Im not code/programer guy so i have no clue how hard it can be to fix this lootspawning/ammo stuff but i play a bit with 3d stuff and graphic and i just dont know why someone who is doing 3d models on enviroment stuff cant just fix that Camo building by adding freaking room right there that You can simply enter so there is no problem with glitchers anymore. Im also pretty sure that for poeple with such experience its srsly like not even a full day of work because in worst case You can just take other room, copy and mirror it and paste it in that place and probably if You update that model it will even automaticly update at map right? Maybe its a bit harder then that but is it really that hard to do so loot was removed from that building over year ago and we need to wait for it till new controler that will be in beta that probably will hit in like half of Year or so? I know some might think its not big deal because it just one of many buildings and Brian already said it gonna be fixed in future right? But what if this gonna happen to every other bug that will be easier to bypass like that even if it can be fixed in day or two and we will end up with game like H1Z1 instead. Please no.

I just hope Dev's can correct me and they gonna say that all this kind of stuff gonna be taken care of in future and that they not gonna use the "simple" way of fixing stuff by just removing things that are good ideas/features only because they have problem with fixing them.

TL DR:

There are some bugs/problems that were fixed by removing bugged things/features from game. There are some that probably could be fixed in short time ( camo building example ) but still they were just bypassed. I hope this wont be way that dev's wanna follow because we will end up with H1Z1 type of game/development instaed.

Unfortunately, getting your info from a biased 3rd party is never a good source - in this case someone on Twitch.

I would always encourage you to get information on development from official sources. 

The examples you give are short term "band aids on a broken leg" - where as we are not looking to divert resources to temporary, short term solutions that *will* only resolve the root issue for a short period of time, such as the examples you gave.

The work we are doing with, and alongside the Enfusion engine's development team is entirely focused on addressing the root causes of these issues for the released product of DayZ. Time, resources, and manpower are finite - and it is critical that the development team keeps their eye on reaching that goal in a healthy amount of time and not compromising this target in order to try and temporarily appease these issues in development builds.

• Like 6

On 19.11.2016 at 3:10 PM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Unfortunately, getting your info from a biased 3rd party is never a good source - in this case someone on Twitch.

I would always encourage you to get information on development from official sources. 

The examples you give are short term "band aids on a broken leg" - where as we are not looking to divert resources to temporary, short term solutions that *will* only resolve the root issue for a short period of time, such as the examples you gave.

The work we are doing with, and alongside the Enfusion engine's development team is entirely focused on addressing the root causes of these issues for the released product of DayZ. Time, resources, and manpower are finite - and it is critical that the development team keeps their eye on reaching that goal in a healthy amount of time and not compromising this target in order to try and temporarily appease these issues in development builds.

Thanks for best answer i could get! Great to hear clear and exact answer for question from You Brian! 

Have a nice day :)

I really like to point out a few things here: 

1. In development, time and milestones are much more important to follow than fixing a bug. as it was pointed out before, Alpha means making the base of game, feature development. what your looking form that huge bug fixing can cost time and get broken when new stuff are added.most of the bugs in this game are related to animation system and damage module and the clunky controls. example: you should not start fixing that apple picking bug in legacy system while you are working on a new animation system which will fix it and several other bugs.

2.  Camo buildings don't spawn loot because the regional control over loot is not yet finished, not because of the glitches which i think they did fix those. devs simply don't want military loot spawn near coastal cities and this needs regional control over economy.

3. i don't think they did remove weapons from the heli crashes, did you consider they might wanted try new things!? as in the big text says when you launch the game, bad design decision might be made.

4. it's very critical that we understand that we don't call the shots here, this is not how a team works. a team needs a leader which sees stuff beyond others perspective because well, that's his job and trust me, hicks is just the right guys for it.