Sign in to follow this  
JohnyBravo

Hypothermia(Stable) Bug?

Ok, so i logged in on my character today and starts the day with being hyperthermic. 

I've warmed myself with a fireplace and 6 logs combined with a heatpack. I also threw on my chicken breasts to heat em up to keep in the inventory. I am rapidly warming up here and there, but the hyperthermic status wont budge.

This is a know bug? Im probably gonna die here, but i decided to log off. My character was not wet, damp nor cold for that matter before i logged. Any suggestion? Run and die at the coast? and cross my fingers that i get my carbine, mag and hunting scope back at my sorry dead body? I decided to log and hope it'll go away next time.  

Hyper= too hot

Hypo= too cold.

Sit in a pond until soaking and don't worry about it. it'll cause you too dehydrate quicker but nothing else.

Be me playing today

Soaked 

Not moving, sitting down

In a shade

I'm warming up

From fucking what ?

Im sorry.

Obviously im too cold as im trying to warm up. I know being too warm doesnt kill you, unless you die of dehydration. My guy logged in hypothermic and he wasnt wet, damp, soaked or anything nor was he cold to begin with when i loggd off inside a barn. 

I hope it turns out well. ;)

Apologies, I assumed as you said hyperthermia in the post that the headline was a typo.

Light three or four fires and sit in the middle of them. iirc a single fire doesn't warn you up quickly enough. if you can get a raincoat, firefighter or m65 jacket as they have good thermal properties. 

Yea, it was a couple of typo's

ill try surround myself with fireplaces. Im on a private server and gear doesnt come easy. Atleast not the hunting scope. Having a blast sniping infected all over with my carbine, learning how to use this baby. Thanks. 

It's been said before, and I'll say it again - BI should stop using this pseudo-medical terminology. People in medicine don't even talk like this any more because confusion causes real harm to patients...

Should be 'freezing to death'  and 'heat exhausted' or similar.

1 hour ago, Mookie (original) said:

BI should stop using this pseudo-medical terminology. People in medicine don't even talk like this any more because confusion causes real harm to patients

As someone who has had to deal with avoiding both these conditions daily in real life (New Zealand bush is not a friendly place), this terminology is common among people who are continuously exposed to cold / wet conditions, and heavy exertion in hot conditions. "Freezing to death" is the state before Hypothermia sets in. Hypothermia is when the body starts to shut down in order to preserve core temp, and is very difficult to survive on your own, unless you know it's coming, and have prepared for it. Once it sets in, the body restricts blood flow to all extremities (hypothermic circulatory arrest, or, Vasoconstriction), and you become pretty much immobile, then catatonic. 

Be thankful that the 'remedy' in-game is as simple as getting warm ....in real life, just 'getting warm' can also kill you if not done right (cold blood coming from arms and legs as blood vessels open again when warmed). I will say this though, it's quite unrealistic how quickly you reach an extreme state in the game ....just as it's pretty unrealistic how easily you can recover (death from Pneumonia, or Heart failure days after recovery are a real threat). I'd like to see it reworked a little, and see the process of becoming Hypothermic more gradual, but actually stop you moving once it fully sets in, and then becoming unconscious in rare cases.

Edited by ShaneRetter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

It's been said before, and I'll say it again - BI should stop using this pseudo-medical terminology. People in medicine don't even talk like this any more because confusion causes real harm to patients...

Should be 'freezing to death'  and 'heat exhausted' or similar.

Thermally negative.