General Zod

Can someone explain this phenomenon to me ?

I'm trying to get few mags and some ammo for my newly found SVD, decided to try Myshkino tent city for ammo. 

The problem is every single god damn server (and yes I started to server hop because tit's became outrageous) I find this :

221100_20161115140855_1.png

221100_20161115140834_1.png

221100_20161115140802_1.png

221100_20161115140726_1.png

221100_20161115140637_1.png

221100_20161115140629_1.png

Is it a bug or does everyone has 50 barrels worth of ammo stashed somewhere and they just leave all this paper around. 

By now I found so much paper I could have written a book on it. A book titled : "Where the fuck is all the ammo".

It's so frustrating even my character started to overheat from all the anger. 

Edited by General Zod

Yep, it's just persistence working well, I think.  The initiating ammo number is higher than the refresh.  So there was ammo there, everyone unpacked the box and dropped the paper.

When I loot Myshkino and there's almost nobody on the server, sometimes I like to leave cryptic notes on the empty ammo packaging.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, General Zod said:

That's just dandy. 

Yeah, when there is a patch there's a mad rush to easy loot.  Eventually this gets evened out as time passes.

I think they're going to have regional loot help fix some of this unevenness, not sure if its in, and probably not balanced if it is.

Anyways, I could be totally wrong too, just going on observations and info we get.

I don't like going in there alone, unless on a private, I ran into a hopper two days ago. Its frustrating, when they come out of a area you were just in, this just makes me hurry and run too much, and I don't like going fast.  

Edited by Coheed_IV

What's more frustrating than hopping or running into a hopper is running all the way from Myshkino to NWAF through Vybor base and not finding any god damn ammo because it's stored. 

• Like 2

pick up all the paper and dump them outside the camp then come back. it will force items to respawn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exwoll said:

"public server problems"

Oh I see what you did there. Good one. 

1 hour ago, Hairy_eyeball said:

pick up all the paper and dump them outside the camp then come back. it will force items to respawn.

Will that actually work ? 

I think it's because when a player empties an ammo box and has no room left, it turns into a piece of paper and stack of ammo, the ammo goes in player's inventory and the paper is created on the ground, making it count as a spawned item and therefore persist like one. This is just something I heard, but it seems to make sense.

They really need to get rid of the god damn ammo paper "feature". Nobody needs it.

• Like 2

I don't understand why it's there in the first place. 

1 hour ago, General Zod said:

I don't understand why it's there in the first place. 

Because empty box (simplified to paper in this case) may also have uses - starting a fire, making notes etc. And i suppose more options will arise down the game development...

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 5:29 PM, Hairy_eyeball said:

I don't think this is the case. Where are you getting this information from? It has a decay on it once its placed, but that's not connected to a spawn location, ammo will respawn when mil-ammo gets to it's minimum number in it's region. This is just a case of ebb and flow after CLE startup, also having init numbers and min/max numbers being different.

I think all CLE loot has a decay too, but I think the time is different. So, if you pick up the ammo because it not the right type, then you put it back down, the decay will be faster, and something new will have a chance of spawning, but its not guaranteed to be in that spot.  Right now I don't know if the CLE and dropped loot decay time is similar though, I think its closer than it used to be.  I'm still just guessing though.

The paper thing will be cool once it doesn't  take up normal space, which I believe Peter mentioned over a year ago.  

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coheed_IV said:

I don't think this is the case. Where are you getting this information from? It has a decay on it once its placed, but that's not connected to a location, ammo will respawn when mil-ammo gets to it's minimum number in it's region. This is just a case of ebb and flow after CLE startup, also having init numbers and min/max numbers being different.

I think all CLE loot has a decay too, but I think the time is different. So, if you pick up the ammo because it not the right type, you put it back down, the decay will be faster, and something new will have a chance of spawning, but its not guaranteed to be in that spot.  Right now I don't know if the CLE and dropped loot decay time is similar though, I think its closer than it used to be.  I'm still just guessing though.

The paper thing will be cool once it doesn't  take up normal space, which I believe Peter mentioned over a year ago.  

If the CLE is functioning as intended by picking up and unpacking the ammo should be considered gone, the paper considered discarded to be handled by decay/cleanup, and another spawnpoint activates or waits to activate when spawned items reach a certain level, as it'd been since CLE was introduced the spawnpoint that fires after something has been taken is and should be out of sight of the one taken from.

I ran some "tests" of the CLE on .60 exp by running laps of Skalatisy island and destroying raincoats and shirts by cutting armbands and rags, I can't verify with numbers but anecdotally I could get similar stuff to spawn faster on the other side of the island. From what I've read and assume from it to trigger new stuff at a military base similar stuff would have to be taken out of the economy at another spawn point in the base or possibly anther mil site across the map.

I came back from a break for .61 exp and am noticing paper is persistent or has a really long decay, maybe accidental maybe to encourage note writing? That might cause a problem with ammo spawning as in early .60 exp it was observed that freshie t-shits and sneakers seemed to "plug" the spawnpoint of the thing they were replaced with.

It's tuff to do in a a mil site but testing and reporting on whether taking out the trash in those tents changes anything and reporting your results might be helpfuil for development.  

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

If the CLE is functioning as intended by picking up and unpacking the ammo should be considered gone, the paper considered discarded to be handled by decay/cleanup, and another spawnpoint activates or waits to activate when spawned items reach a certain level, as it'd been since CLE was introduced the spawnpoint that fires after something has been taken is and should be out of sight of the one taken from.

I ran some "tests" of the CLE on .60 exp by running laps of Skalatisy island and destroying raincoats and shirts by cutting armbands and rags, I can't verify with numbers but anecdotally I could get similar stuff to spawn faster on the other side of the island. From what I've read and assume from it to trigger new stuff at a military base similar stuff would have to be taken out of the economy at another spawn point in the base or possibly anther mil site across the map.

I came back from a break for .61 exp and am noticing paper is persistent or has a really long decay, maybe accidental maybe to encourage note writing? That might cause a problem with ammo spawning as in early .60 exp it was observed that freshie t-shits and sneakers seemed to "plug" the spawnpoint of the thing they were replaced with.

It's tuff to do in a a mil site but testing and reporting on whether taking out the trash in those tents changes anything and reporting your results might be helpfuil for development.  

Yeah, I think we're in agreement. But, about the paper. Once something is gets picked up, it's not part of the economy (I think), so the paper has no effect on ammo coming back there. It's not placed in a spawn point plugging other loot, its just on the ground. It's no different than if the paper was brought outside the tent and dropped. 

Now, if everyone didn't like a spawn and picked it up and dropped it, then things will cycle faster, I think. (like your shirt example)

Or the other possibility is that items we put on the ground are part of the economy and only stored items are not, I'm confusing myself now, lol.

The only thing stopping more ammo from spawning in this situation, is that it's still sitting somewhere else, and the min has not been reached yet. This really only happens for the first day or so of a new patch. It all gets evened out. At least until they have regions working as intended, then each region will have micro versions of this.

Edited by Coheed_IV

Well seems like I'm going to have to get my ammo the old fashion way. I'll just find and kill someone who has it. Which kind of implies that I'll have to kill everyone I run into. 

Edited by General Zod

5 minutes ago, Coheed_IV said:

Yeah, I think we're in agreement. But, about the paper. Once something is gets picked up, it's not part of the economy (I think), so the paper has no effect on ammo coming back there. It's not placed in a spawn point plugging other loot, its just on the ground. It's no different than if the paper was brought outside the tent and dropped. 

Now, if everyone didn't like a spawn and picked it up and dropped it, then things will cycle faster, I think. (like your shirt example)

Or the other possibility is that items we put on the ground are part of the economy and only stored items are not, I'm confusing myself now, lol.

The only thing stopping more ammo from spawning in this situation, is that it's still sitting somewhere else, and the min has not been reached yet. This really only happens for the first day or so of a new patch. It all gets evened out. At least until they have regions working as intended, then each region will have micro versions of this.

I would still be curious to see if the paper is preventing spawn points from working, The picture the OP posted shows a piece of paper on top of basically every spawnpoint in that tent. If paper's cleanup is being handled differently to encourage note writhing the potential is there for a problem. 

I'm running solo on exp and not going to mil sites but when I do I just grab and go, that looks like hoppers packing out as much ammo as possible.   

• Like 1

If a piece of paper spawns in a mil-tent, and noone's around to see it, does it persist?

Is the decay timer for paper any different from other items?  Is it possible for paper to spawn by itself?  Will hopping servers in the same area, one after another after another and another, eventually have a chance to break legs?

Will @Hicks_206 (DayZ) see this and decide to come shed some light on this environmental disaster? (Littered paper choking up the spawn points until a server restart, at which point, the hoppers come and promptly return bases to their littered state)

Just for some background info.

I hid in a bush, miles away from anything, and unwrapped 3 boxes of ammo with a full backpack.  3 pieces of paper spawned on the floor.

I logged off.  24 hours later I logged back in and the paper was still there.

I logged off again.  24 hours later I logged back in and the paper was still there.

I logged off again.  24 hours later I logged back in and the paper was still there.

I get the feeling that these spawned items (along with guts/pelts/logs) have a persistence value attached to them of days if not weeks

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BCBasher said:

Has anyone else tried leaving notes, paper seems to have a slow decay of be persistent.

I tried last night and couldn't read the not I just wrote.

22 hours ago, Baty Alquawen said:

This is a known issue. But thank you for feedback.

46 minutes ago, Coheed_IV said:

Is the note writing not working or the paper sticking around the issue?

She never clarified.

I personally would just love it if notes worked especially if CTRL-V works. I'd leave dated "bread crumbs" with headings or clues to track me or find freshie care packages and stuff.    

In support of some claims made a ways above, I can also offer anecdotal evidence suggesting that removing items from military loot spawns causes it to respawn faster. Me and some boys I played with used to hang out in the Zeleno/Myshkino region. Whenever we went to lock down Myshkino tents as a group, we found that dumping unwanted items just outside the tent we found it in made a difference. It seemed that things did not respawn as long as an item was 'jammed' in the spawn zone in question. We didn't exactly document it scientifically, but we all agreed there was a palpable difference, and that it was far more efficient for group-looting to clear out undesirable gear and wait for it to respawn. Oh, and restarts almost always mean fresh loot - I can't recall whether this applied only to emptied spawn zones or all of them.

All of this on .60 version.