Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.136067

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Hoik said:

Just a quick question, can you quarter a deer with a kitchen knife? I was trying earlier today and it didn't give me the option...

Don't know, I used my improvised knife.

I didn't notice because of how I approached the carcass this time but I think it was mentioned in this or the last .61 thread you have to be standing just right to get the option, like looting the infected. 

***edit*** Fuck yeah my boss just called in sick, time to burn one and play some DayZ!

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 1

@therunningmanz

- I`ve been using different type of weapons in competition for years  - so I know the snap/crack sound with higher caliber weapons. I was a sniper in the military for like 20 years ago while using modern military assault rifles, and now I`m 40 years old. Maybe it`s hard to implement correctly that particular snap/crack sound without confusing the whole sound picture where the shot was fired from which is important in any combat situation? Maybe that explain why the sound picture had so many issues overall with weapon sounds in 0.60 or earlier versions of Dayz SA. It`s not that easy task to implement in a pc game. And when a bullet hit nearby you it create that crack sound, but it should`t be that loud as in real life. I mentioned it earlier; it scare players including myself in a combat situation in-game with such a snap/crack sound. @Secptic Falcon usually jump in 0.60 when I saw him streaming when getting shot at, and I admit I`ve the same issue as him - my nerves are so bad in real life so for me it was a pleasant surprise the whole sound picture was less intense, because of personal reasons. 

Although without the snap/crack sound: I had no issue to confirm the bullet impacts nearby me. Also when you shot at the water you can see the bullet impact animation better, and it seems to be improved as well. And I think you will get used to listen where the bullets hits nearby - and to react to the combat situation what your next moves are to escape the whole situation, or fight it out, or get some kind of semi cover behind a tree for instance in a Dayz SA combat encounter scenario. 

Edited by ori42
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, therunningmanz said:

@ori42 

Not been here in a view days. Last I was, I read a post from you on bullet snaps and how we shouldn't hear bullet travel on subsonic rounds. Its cool you have a differing opinion based on what you wanna see in the game but it shouldn't be based on realism. I was left confused by the last post I read of yours on this, because while I appreciate there will be no sonic boom from a subsonic round, surely a piece of metal whizzing past your head at an incredible speed would none the less make a noise? Just because it's not making a sonic boom, it doesn't mean that there would be complete silence does it? I found this....

Just a quick google of the "the sounds bullets make in flight" etc will tell you that all bullets make a noise irrespective of whether they travel at the speed of sound or not.

@Hicks_206 (DayZ) I appreciate you confirmed you were looking to add bullet travel back in and if that changed you'd let us know. Can you please go further and say if we will be getting this for 0.61 or not? I can't tell you how immersion breaking this is (to me), last night I was handcuffed and stripped of loot in Myshkino tents. They made me stand in the open by the quansit hut while a distant sniper took target practice on me. This should have been seat of my pants exciting/scary but with no bullet zips, it just wasn't. I managed to break free and as I was running away a dude was shooting at me, again no noise at all as I tried to escape. This is a huge one for the feel of the game, it just feels so much less authentic in a gun fight, or when your life is in danger at the moment and this has much bigger impact than I think is realised atm. Fear of death and the amazing tension that builds when your life is on the line is one of the main draws of DayZ, the "all on the line" aspect of each encounter is what gets the heart beating and the adrenaline going for many of us, at the moment this is missing a lot when fired upon, because the danger just doesn't feel there until you are dead.

Certainly from a content creation point of view, trying to make a vid of this feel as tense as it should when I don't fire a shot in the encounter is really tough. When my life is seriously under threat the viewer will do well to work it out on 0.61. I know you are making the  game for the entire player base, I'm only one DayZ player the same as everybody else, with one opinion, but if the game doesn't translate the same tension, drama, realism, fear of dying when playing it live, it goes without saying it wont when reproduced for YT audiences as well.

Unfortunately you are looking at a build like it is a patch. We're not working on a patch on a game - we're working on getting the next viable build of the development process out.

I can't say if the cracks will make it into .61, but I can be certain they will be in DayZ when it releases.

• Like 5