Sign in to follow this  
exwoll

Question about future Basebuilding

I would like to know what gonna be the scale and reach of the basebuilding in the game. I mean, it will be somehow limited by resources and maintenance (decaying wook/other materials that need to be regularly replaced, amount of people/time needed for building, etc) or there's a risk of seeing the map overwhelmed by thousands bases and skyscrapers in the middle of nowhere or cities.

Just worrying about immersion/realism taken away by that.

• Like 1

This is my thought exactly. If you've ever looked at or played Life is Feudal: Your Own, they have a system that fixes this issue. There is a "monument" of sorts, and it gives you a certain radius to build within. Anything inside the radius is persistent, while structures outside are not. However, the monument itself decays over time if you don't do some upkeep. While this isn't a very realistic approach, it's just an example there are ways to combat a plague of player-made structures.

• Like 1

I felt like someone posted a video of some russian that hacked game files and was building with what they had implemented but not released.  We will absolutely not be dealing with Arma 3 mod, Ark, Rust  weird looking wood structures that defy gravity. 

I'm absolutely for building fortification,  It'd be amazing to be able to take over and fortify a saw mill or the newly enter able industrial buildings.       Base building and the supplies to do so should not be incredibly easy to gather or carry and with Zombies being a threat it seems like you'll have to work hard and be proficient to gather supplies.  Which in my mind should be found in industrial areas of Cherno, Elektro, and the like.    Things like sheet metal, wooden planks, etc etc should take up a decent amount of slots so people can't simply gather it all on foot very easy. 

I'd love more natural and basic options for the lone wolf type beyond the military and civilian tent (which needs alternate colors).    
Craftable Tipis (6x Deer/Cow pelt + Tree branches + Rope/Leather sewing kit)  would be a great addition 
Craftable camoflauge for tents, barrels, vehicles,  and the like.  (Netting + Tree Branches + Grass/Brush make a "collect brush" option)

Edited by NickNasty6
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Zyriun said:

This is my thought exactly. If you've ever looked at or played Life is Feudal: Your Own, they have a system that fixes this issue. There is a "monument" of sorts, and it gives you a certain radius to build within. Anything inside the radius is persistent, while structures outside are not. However, the monument itself decays over time if you don't do some upkeep. While this isn't a very realistic approach, it's just an example there are ways to combat a plague of player-made structures.

Yes, I liked the system of LiF for basebuilding. Maybe it doesnt need to be a monument. A Toolshack would be better. There you have to put in loot and tools to maintain different buildings in your base. If you see a building in your base is degrading on a low level u can select the building you want to repair/maintain and this consumes different amounts of time, tools (or degrades the tools by uses) and loot. It would be nice if some structures couldnt get maintained or builded with only one player. There have to be two or more players arround to maintain a Watchtower for example.

edit: and I would prefer a system where basebuilding is much harder than barricade structures.

13 hours ago, NickNasty6 said:

-snip- I'm absolutely for building fortification,  It'd be amazing to be able to take over and fortify a saw mill or the newly enter able industrial buildings. -snip-

This I would looove to see! Some Resources you need for basebuilding or crafting in general will only be madeable with the use of those industrial buildings. If you need Big wooden beams, you have to go to those saw mills, craft them there and bring them back to your base. If you need metalwork you have to go to one of those little workshops. Cars would be easier to repair near those old ruty car repair shops. There are more buildings for shure which could be implemented for this type of gameplay.

13 hours ago, NickNasty6 said:

I'd love more natural and basic options for the lone wolf type beyond the military and civilian tent (which needs alternate colors).    
Craftable Tipis (6x Deer/Cow pelt + Tree branches + Rope/Leather sewing kit)  would be a great addition 
Craftable camoflauge for tents, barrels, vehicles,  and the like.  (Netting + Tree Branches + Grass/Brush make a "collect brush" option)

And for shure this basic stuff for lonewolf gameplay. Makeshift tent/shelter, primitive rainbarrel, fireplace, noisetraps hidden stash, which you could craft with low tier gear and which degrades faster then a base maintained by several players.

+1

Edited by Arthur Dubrovka
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

Yes, I liked the system of LiF for basebuilding. Maybe it doesnt need to be a monument. A Toolshack would be better. There you have to put in loot and tools to maintain different buildings in your base. If you see a building in your base is degrading on a low level u can select the building you want to repair/maintain and this consumes different amounts of time, tools (or degrades the tools by uses) and loot. It would be nice if some structures couldnt get maintained or builded with only one player. There have to be two or more players arround to maintain a Watchtower for example.

This just got me thinking, and I don't see why I (or others Ive seen) haven't thought of this. Why don't we just repair individual structures themselves? Like actually go up with the tools in hand and perform an action on the certain structure? Not everything should have the same lifespan anyways, and this is a much more realistic approach instead of having a monument/toolshed. Yea, it might be tedious maintaining a huge base, but then again if you've got a large base then shouldn't you have a large group to maintain it anyways?

• Like 1

This was my first thought. The most realistic way would be to go to every part of a wall, sandbags, barrels, waterbarrels, tents, fireplaces, electronic support, generator, wires, barbed wire etc and check everything by its own. I think back in the mod dayz it was like that. You was forced to check every single part of a wall. I agree it would be to easy to throw everything in a toolshed and all structures get repaired like you got a magician in your base. But a overview about the structures and their status plus what's needed to repair them would be a good trade off between realism and game design... maybe.

edit: and I want a chicken coop!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

This was my first thought. The most realistic way would be to go to every part of a wall, sandbags, barrels, waterbarrels, tents, fireplaces, electronic support, generator, wires, barbed wire etc and check everything by its own. I think back in the mod dayz it was like that. You was forced to check every single part of a wall. I agree it would be to easy to throw everything in a toolshed and all structures get repaired like you got a magician in your base. But a overview about the structures and their status plus what's needed to repair them would be a good trade off between realism and game design... maybe.

edit: and I want a chicken coop!

I mean, I'm all for a hardcore experience. I'd be fine with having to check every piece of equipment/every structure. You could always just do things realistically and write yourself a list of things to check. Monitor things yourself. That or wait till something breaks and you notice, then fix it.

:) and I'm not. I like it if it's a good balance between realism and game design.