Solopopo

Impossible To Have Fun Anymore

1 hour ago, ShaneRetter said:

This is my vision as well. Don't get too hung up on the vanilla features, as they have to make it a happy medium for all. Mod creators will fill the needs for those at both extremes (pvp, and pve). As long as the base features are there, they will be at the very least 'tweaked' for modded servers, and even new features all together will be added by modders. Once the team officially releases their plans for modding, the community should relax a little if things in the vanilla are not quite to their specific personal taste.

Not sure if I'll make it till 1.0, but I am inclined to assume that modding will be the nail in the coffin. The player numbers are already dwindling and only time will tell, if they do themselves a favor with heavy PvP leaning (people might well prefer Arma, Battlefield or other games for that) and modding (splitting the remaining community). I am actually pretty curious, if it will work out the way people have in mind. Will def keep track of development.

Safe travels, survivors

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 2

Well it is possible that an unfinished game might not be fun.  How fun would it be to drive a car without an engine?

On 01/11/2016 at 3:07 AM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

There will always be a finite amount of vehicles on the server, just like there will be a finite amount of loot. Technical reasons aside, the core pillars of DayZ *require* there to be a limited amount of supplies, ammo, etc - both to hold up the survival element of the game, and cause users to have to weigh serious decisions. Risk, expending supplies when making a decision, and so on.

So If I collect tents on a server, bringing them from other public servers I will have more and more tents - If I fill them with loot from other public servers I will have more and more loot... On those other servers loot will spawn to replace the loot I am stockpiling on "my" server. And I can collect loot from this server too, where i have a load of tents.

So my question is - how MANY tents full of "loot X "do I need on 'my' stockpile server before the "loot X" starts vanishing from inside the tents?
And how many tents before the tents start vanishing?

I don't think this happens. Am I wrong?

And how many tents full of "loot X" do I need on 'my' server here before NO "loot X" spawns at all ANYWHERE on this whole server because the <finite amount> is ALREADY in my tents?

This is why "=some=" server admins  prefer to pay LESS to run a public server where they can stockpile, and kick anyone who tries to join it. There is in fact no sanction against this play. Those groups are playing a TOTALLY different game to the game on private servers.

- I am only ASKING because the subject came up (-again-)  so   AM I WRONG?  
Someone has a skewed idea of how the <Central Loot Economy> works.  I'm only a guy passing in the street but I don't THINK it is me that has misunderstood. 

xxP

On 04/11/2016 at 6:32 PM, bad_mojo (DayZ) said:

..//.. a great example is military bases ..//..

Just about military bases.. Was suggested LONG AGO that BI could give each military base an invisible  "perimiter" of maybe a klick (or two)
If you log out INSIDE that perimeter - when you log back you arrive at a random spawn place anywhere on the map like a new-spawn.

1 ) Makes hopping a LOT less interesting.. a WHOLE HEAP less interesting.. right?

2 ) Makes FIREFIGHTS in military buildings and mil areas MORE interesting, because if a team or a guy is pinned down in a building - they won't just log wile you are wondering-if-they-are-still-there-or-should-you-rush-the-building, because a log out will be a total BAIL OUT for them.  Even if you don't catch their bodies logging out, they will still be scattered all over the map next time they log in.

So firefights and defensive positions and snipers and raids will have a lot more INFLUENCE and INPUT to what happens around military bases. Those areas will be more SERIOUS to go to -  This is true if you want bigger risks, or team movement, or boss loot, or careful solo planning, or just fewer dumb hopper events.

OBVIOUSLY any group hopping has a stash somewhere on one server.. they hop, hop again, anything good goes back to the stash.. if they are caught, they leave one guy to cover and Hop Out..; no loss. Same for a solo hopper - You catch the guy one ONE server and shoot him - so what?.. he looses one gun, he already gained three, he has been doing this for 3 hours on every server he can find and only been killed 2 times, he already has +7 rifles back home.

Underlying this idea, is the BASIC idea that BI HAVE the power to alter their OWN map and their OWN spawn points, and their loot distribution, and THEY OWN the player database.
They know what each player is carrying and WHERE they are and where they came from.
If a mil base is a good place to look for loot, then make the players WALK a reasonable distance to GET there .. then that player wont find 155 hoppers already went through in the last half hour. But he might =probably= find some other serious people around.

BI have told us they CAN do nothing about kick servers. The SPs have told us they WILL do nothing about kick servers. The original BI-agreement about public servers has "vanished" and from the start had obvious flaws the SPs exploited (even when it's existence was still mentioned). And no one does anything about hoppers (except shoot them) which changes NOTHING.

So the way to go is - BI TAKE CONTROL and invent the GAMEPLAY rules for loot distribution AND action - so that different types of players GET their kicks.
EASY STARTER suggestion  - if you log out inside this ZONE you log back <anywhere on the map>  NOT in the same place on the next server.

BI seek ways to regain control of gameplay  = OR =  BI has already decided that DayZ will be 100% a Private and Modder game -  so BI doesn't have to even think about it.  Then it is not their problem.

XXP

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 1

I'm so happy that I'm only playing private at this point (besides EXP, but that doesn't matter).

Pilgrim has a point. The state of public servers is generally shitty, and it's a shame that that's what potential new players generally get introduced to first. I could be wrong, but it doesn't strike me as terribly labour-intensive to build a tool that checks server logs for kick frequency and cross-references with average population and frequent members to do a decent job of pointing out when a server is probably being used in a way that's detrimental to the community at large.

It's not fair for the average end-user to have to go through the process of gearing up from scratch each time, often on their own, when any person or group who owns a server has the capacity to loot safely and only engage in PvP when decked out, never with a gear disadvantage. The fact that these people tend to fight in groups only makes it worse. That's the kind of division of community that I usually only see in F2P games or games with a subscription option. Renting servers isn't supposed to be that. =/

• Like 3

While the abuse of rented public servers is a problem, I have never had any trouble getting geared up on the public hive.  Just as when I was new to the game, I assume that many inexperienced players will choose generic looking "official servers" to play on.

The only problem I have with the public hive is servers going down and scrubbing camps.  It all comes down to how much server support BI has planned for the official vanilla servers; and to a lesser extent, how duplication will be addressed moving forward.

7 hours ago, emuthreat said:

While the abuse of rented public servers is a problem, I have never had any trouble getting geared up on the public hive.  Just as when I was new to the game, I assume that many inexperienced players will choose generic looking "official servers" to play on.

The only problem I have with the public hive is servers going down and scrubbing camps.  It all comes down to how much server support BI has planned for the official vanilla servers; and to a lesser extent, how duplication will be addressed moving forward.

Yup you need BI to manage about 20 servers, half 1st person and half 3rd person. Because some day this engine is going to hold 255 players right?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Emu babe, dude, hi !!! (bus jumper)  !!

The "official public servers" are servers that have NOT been hired out by the SP and have no admin; As soon as someone hires one, they are scrubbed out and become "either public OR private" servers WITH an admin (the guy who hired the server).  The process of hiring a server is just about TOTALLY automatic and no one at the SP even knows if one DayZ instance is public today, private today, or loaded up and waiting to be hired (with people already playing on it) today .. Unfortunately the SPs have no obligation to keep the SAME "unhired" instances open.

They had an obligation to have one public server at their own expense open for every X examples hired out - but "at their own expense"  means exactly the same as "not hired out yet"..  Every time they THEMSELVEs hire more physical server space they install more DayZ instances,  and hire them out as buyers turn up. So as long as Some server instances SOMEWHERE are still un-hired they are "inside the agreed rules".  Also if someone stops paying for a DayZ instance it becomes "un-hired" so it is scrubbed and hey presto it is one more "official public server" = unhired with no paying admin .

So there is always a pool of unhired = "official public" servers.  = SO "unhired" and "official public server"  =  MEANS the same thing. So you play on an official server until someone hires it and your stuff is scrubbbed and no agreement is broken because somewhere ELSE some other dude just stopped hiring his instance, so THAT is now an "official public unhired server" for the moment. OK -  your tents and your gear are all gone because the server you were on has been hired to a paying customer, scrubbed clean, and he is the admin from now on -  but that's all.  It is an automatic process.

We knew this more than a year ago - when persistence started the complaints started.  The SPs stated categorically it is NOT their problem. The are CAST IRON on that. I have not heard of any change since then. Maybe I missed something?   

The original agreement between BI and the selected SPs on <<the agreed numbers of "official" open servers provided at the SPs expense>>  has dropped into oblivion. No one mentions it any more.

but - I'll say it again - Maybe I missed something?  Point out what I got wrong and I'll apologize here in caps and post a photo of my shiny metal ass in drag.

xxp

@pilgrim* You are still correct in how the server administration/leasing works.  Kinda slapshod in its current state.  Here's to hoping that this might someday work differently, perhaps in a more concerted manner.

I have no problem finding servers to play on, but I really think something should be done before the 1.0 release.  New players might not appreciate seeing all their progress get randomly deleted as public servers are rented out.  Maybe the public hive just isn't worth the trouble; I hate to say it.

I also have good reason to believe that things will change.  Steps will have to be taken to avoid server-scrubbing outrage from console players, and the  " *Official* " PC servers could easily benefit from using the same format.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2016 at 7:00 AM, Solopopo said:

In my opinion, we shouldn't be forced to play the game the way it's supposed to be played when the game isn't what it's supposed to be yet.

That's too bad...

When you purchased Alpha DayZ you signed a legally binding contract stating that you agree to be forced to play it, night and day, until you just cannot take it anymore and finally explode onto the forums!

Just take a break mate, it's taking time, yes it is, but nobody is forcing you to play it. Go outside, take a drive, eat some beans...

When .62 hits there are going to be a crap ton of actual new features which will provide you with fun. I estimate that in .63 we're actually going to have aircraft and full blown base-building (along with a bunch of other neat surprises), at which point DayZ will become dynamic enough to actually sustain long term gameplay, and as the post-beta mods begin to add more and more content, it should only get more and more "fun".

For now though, "Back to the orchard slave! My apples won't pick themselves!"

On 10/31/2016 at 8:47 PM, odin_lowe said:

If you really think the map is too big, I don't know what to say. 
The map is pretty small to me, as we can get from spawning on the coast to the NWAF in 25 mins... on foot...

thats because the player runs faster than usain bolt without tiring, kos is much more now even on EXP, mainly cause loot is so scarce. not enough transport, not even a cycle yet after years of development, and not to mention cant even base build anything yet. waited months for new update that turns out to actually have very little in it to improve game immersion

4 hours ago, FlimFlamm said:

When .62 hits there are going to be a crap ton of actual new features which will provide you with fun. I estimate that in .63 we're actually going to have aircraft and full blown base-building (along with a bunch of other neat surprises), at which point DayZ will become dynamic enough to actually sustain long term gameplay, and as the post-beta mods begin to add more and more content, it should only get more and more "fun".

wishful thinking m8. you might wake up from your dream soon... this was being said ages ago, and i mean ages, i got nearly 4500 hrs in dayz but havent played  much prob only 3or4 hours and i can see  being even less

That's enough, if you are not enjoying the game then do not play it (it ain't Rocket science) and there is no need to spam the Forums with negative comments.

• Like 2