Henk Grunn

Original Chernarus with all buildings enterable

Hello,

Original Chernarus from arma, that was featured in the dayz mod, was imo very well balanced for 40/50 players. New chernarus isn't. All the content that was added was all very good quality on it's own. Some stuff is just beautiful. But IMO it's too much. The intention to spread out players over the map has succeeded. I hardly see anyone in new Chernarus. There are too many "key" locations and too many cities.

Original chernarus with all buildings enterable would improve gameplay on 40/50 player servers. Like in the dayzmod, players could chose to go into action or live the hermit style. Basicly in original chernarus you had 3/4 key locations. NWAF, NEAF, Stary Sobor, and perhaps Devils Castle. Less key locations, thus more player contact. I suspect that performance would increase as well with less loot spots. Plus we tree lovers would have our pristine Northern Forrest back.

Probably Original Chernarus with enterable buildings should be made first. But all  the content is already ready.

The suggestion:

What if server owners would have the option to start a dayz server with either NEW or OLD (with all enterable buildings) Chernarus? We would soon find out which servers are more populair.

Edited by Henk Grunn
punctuation
  • Like 1

Keep in mind the goal is to get around 100 player servers. So that should make it a lot more active.

I know that that is the goal. But we don't know if it will be achieved. It  will also take quite a while before that happens. And then we have the price. 100 players servers will be quite rare, since most people can't afford that at current server pricing.

Even with 100 players, I think Henk Grunn has a point here. In my opinion there are indeed way too many cities, villages and bases. You can hardly walk 500 m in a direction without stumbling upon a dirt road or houses. If you want to play more on the PvE side of the game living in the woods and have some area for hunting etc without running into houses and roads all the time it has become increasingly difficult to find some suitable areas with a certain variety of rocks/woods/grassland/lakes. It doesn't necessarily need to be the "original" Chernarus map but it would be great if there were actually larger areas of plain nature without roads and housings everywhere. Maybe the choice between the current/new map and a map with less locations/bases/cities and more/larger plain nature areas would be nice.

all your wishes may become true, because modding will be a thing.

I guess normal chernarus with enterable buildings should be one of the more simple mods. but even then, the map will be way to large for 50 players. remember how many buildings were entrerable in the mod, and most of them didn't have more than two rooms. so with SA buildings you will have like +200% enterable space in the cities.

i guess the point about the decrease of wilderness in the north is a valid one, but you could also add some more wilderness to chernarus+ by modding.

36 minutes ago, Radibor78 said:

Even with 100 players, I think Henk Grunn has a point here. In my opinion there are indeed way too many cities, villages and bases. You can hardly walk 500 m in a direction without stumbling upon a dirt road or houses. If you want to play more on the PvE side of the game living in the woods and have some area for hunting etc without running into houses and roads all the time it has become increasingly difficult to find some suitable areas with a certain variety of rocks/woods/grassland/lakes. It doesn't necessarily need to be the "original" Chernarus map but it would be great if there were actually larger areas of plain nature without roads and housings everywhere. Maybe the choice between the current/new map and a map with less locations/bases/cities and more/larger plain nature areas would be nice.

Wouldn't mind seeing the "wilderness" expanded up on. North and west sides.
If its technically viable that is. I do find the work they have done so far to be a great improvement, but we do lack a bit in the woods department.

1km extra of woods around the edge we have now would be a good start though.

5 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

Wouldn't mind seeing the "wilderness" expanded up on. North and west sides.
If its technically viable that is. I do find the work they have done so far to be a great improvement, but we do lack a bit in the woods department.

1km extra of woods around the edge we have now would be a good start though.

or maybe more forrests in central chernarus.

i just made a shitty image of how it could look like on the map;

D9F486F8CFB2A2886480100203890C60C079386D

• Like 1

Personally I don't think it is needed to expand the map. With original chernarus the northern and western part of the map where already pretty clean, with a lot of Forrest. Also those areas where no route to some important location. This means that hermits would be pretty safe there. The northern and western parts where also great for having a camp/base or to recover.

The area that hasesdestodes drew is a nice suggestion. However it is in an area that would be used to travel through on the way to stary, NWAF, or the rest of the map. The outer sides of the map would be better for deep Forrest, since you specifically should have the need to go there. This was the advantage of original chernarus. Those who wanted player contact could find it, with higher frequency, at the key locations. Those who wanted a more pve experience had the opportunity to do so.

With new chernarus both player styles are now less fun.

edit:

i agree with @Radibor78 that it doesn't have to be exactly original chernarus. They made some stuff like prison island which imo is not too much. And some modifications to some towns/cities. But it's the surplus of militairy bases and towns and northern cities that spoil gameplay for both pve and pvp players

Edited by Henk Grunn
extra content

but everyone knows most folks camp in the west or outer edges of the old chernarus. It was easy to find camps on that map get as heli and fly over then just relay coords to ground team or land if there was no one on. there is no safe place in chernarus as there shouldn't be. just like seeing folks every ten minutes is ridiculous as well and takes the oh shit moments away IMO. If you have ever played h1z1 go check out how seeing folks every ten seconds plays out it becomes a deathmatch with re gearing it's boring and nothing new. this is a survival game not a free for all death match and the dev team should focus on that since that was what i bought it for was survival with zeds. Now when it comes to modding hey make your small map and add spawning with guns if it's popular more power to you but with these suggestions your getting the wagon in before the horse the game isn't finished they are increasing player cap as well as adding more vehicles and building of bases which should increase the amount of folks you see. hunting or finding folks shouldn't be as easy as go to this popular town and find folks some hide and most do not want to be found. All I got form the OP was it's hard to find PVP make the map small and with fewer buildings so I can play the game the way I want to play. If they make the game they way they planned it's going to get harder to survive as well as PVP at times so get used to working for your kills instead of camping NWAF or zen like folks do on the mod those days are over unless a modder comes along and gives you that experience which i'm sure they will since most folks like it easy not saying you do personally but have a look at the mod server list and you can get an idea of how vanilla will survive once modding come into the fold.

@gannon46

I think you misinterpreted my post. The problem I have with the current map is that I find that gameplay for both pve and pvp styles are out of balance.

PVE players don't have really places that are isolated, since most areas are a route to some town or key place. And pvp players hardly have any contact. ( I've had sessions of 4 hours on full servers where I haven't see a single soul, not even at key places)

I don't think there should be safe heavens on the map. Nor do I think that you should have pvp anytime you want it. I just compared current chernarus to original chernarus. And my experience is that original Chernarus had a much better balance. Not due to the size, but due to the locations and lootspots.  It was just a suggestion, and if more ppl agree to that, it's not too late, especially during alpha, to create a chernarus which is better balanced.

• Like 1