NickNasty6

New Melee when new animation system/player controller arrive?

Can we expect to see a revamped melee and hand combat system with the new engine?

I've searched and came up empty with much on this.  

As it stands it is a bit clunky aside from the desync and network issues that are present. 

Thoughts?

I would imagine they will, along with the desync being worked on with .61 when the new character animations are implemented melee shouldn't feel like a game a of chance/chore it can be atm.

Edited by Volcanogod

Well, the last official word on the topic of melee fighting was that it's "essentially done," but that was from a long way back and came out before they were even talking to us about a new player controller, so I'm still holding out hope that we'll see something more workable and fun.

• Like 1

The subject of improving the melee fighting system is one that has come up internally a lot lately as internal engine development pushes forward on the new anim system and related areas. While we don't talk "when" past the current and next builds - We all understand how the current functionality of it can come up short. Next week I'll try and put together some thoughts from Peter and I (and potentially Viktor) if things are ready to be talked about.

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies!   It's a little janky and stiff (networking, synching issues aside) at the present but definitely excited about the future with the new animations and player controller.  I'd imagine the new damage system will help with this as well. 

Edited by NickNasty6

Wasnt one of the things talked about in an early devlog the mechanic of moving your mouse in a certain direction affecting the swing of your weapon?

Since they're re-writing the Player Controller and animation systems from scratch, it's literally impossible to keep the melee system we have now functionally the same. Now, it could implement the same design, but at the least I would hope it "feels" better. If they re-design the melee combat system, well, things can always get worse, but I have a lot of faith in the talent of this team, so I assume it will be improved.

Edited by Toops