Sign in to follow this  
Radibor78

Video memory beyond 2GB?

As of now (0.60) the video memory settings (Options -> Video -> Textures) is limited to 2048 MB max. Playing at resolutions beyond 1080p (1440p or higher) especially in combination with render resolution of 200% and having a graphics card with more than 2 GB video memory the image quality (and performance) should profit from using more than 2 GB of video memory as it reduces load/unload of textures to/from video memory. So how do the plans (not referring to 0.61 here ;)) for the future look like in regards to video memory usage/limit and maybe update on the DirectX version/usage roadmap? Which DirectX version is currently in use? Also what size does the texture pack at the currently highest quality have?

• Like 2

Thats some really good questions u ask there mr! I kind had forgot about this... new render is in use and this is still a "thing" :S

I hope @Hicks_206 (DayZ) will see this and answer this questions! There is a thread he have created, where we can discuss 061 and i think this could have been posted in there!

Thread:     Exp Update 0.61.######

Best Regards

Edited by zemos (DayZ)

14 hours ago, Radibor78 said:

*render resolution of 200% *

Is this still a thing?  I just checked on it, and my bar is maxed out at 100%

8 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Is this still a thing?  I just checked on it, and my bar is maxed out at 100%

Yes. There are open issues in the bug tracker. As of 0.60 in the game/GUI there render resolution is fixed at 100% but if you look in the dayz.cfg file in the documents folder it contains (in my case, as if some people reported in the bug tracker) the render resolution double to the display resolution. So in my case my Monitor runs at 1440p but the dayz.cfg file has 5120x2880 in it. As I understand the comments in the bug tracker it's a bug that the setting in the GUI is fixed at 100% and it is supposed to work as before to let you switch between 100 and 200%. In some forums people suggest to edit the cfg file, set render resolution to your monitor solution and mark the file "read only" to prevent the game from overwriting it to increase framerate. So it looks like render resolution is still a thing. Hence, my question.

But maybe it's actually another question regarding this topic whether the setting for render resolution will stay in the game or whether the game will always use render resolution equal to the monitor resolution and anti aliasing is done merely but choosing the AA type in the video settings under "Rendering" -> "Anti Aliasing". Would be nice to know what the roadmap looks like for those configuration settings and options.

Yeah, the cfg. issue was a pretty big problem in .60 exp.  Everybody I know pretty much did the 1:1 fix and marked as read-only.

My point was that in the GUI is fixed at 100%, and the bar is full at 100%.  That gave me the impression that it was a change in design decision.  Otherwise, we'd see a half-full bar that said 100%

10 hours ago, emuthreat said:

My point was that in the GUI is fixed at 100%, and the bar is full at 100%.  That gave me the impression that it was a change in design decision.  Otherwise, we'd see a half-full bar that said 100%

Yes, but as I understand the bug tracker the display in the GUI is buggy. So that 100% is max is as well a bug as that the 100% displayed are not the value actually used by the game. So the GUI display regarding render resolution doesn't mean a thing, neither regarding the value displayed nor regarding what max and min values actually are. Maybe the developers want to get rid of the render resolution at all and use only the AA setting where you can choose a render-based AA mechanism (like MSAA) if you want to. In that case the 100%-is-max would be what they want to do and the bug is only that it still uses 200% whereas it should use only 100%, but that is one of the things that are not clear (to me) and is therefore part of my question.

Did you find some statement that 100% will be max in future or was it merely your assumption due to current look of the slider in the GUI? If the latter it might be a false assumption.

Edited by Radibor78

It may indeed be a false assumption. I was only sharing what I know, which isn't much.  I switched off Read-only on my .cfg and tried to adjust the slider, and nothing happened.

Perhaps @Hicks_206 (DayZ) can shed some light on this subject, as I remember previous discussion of this to be mostly speculation with no authoritative answers from the dev team.

On 10/18/2016 at 1:35 AM, Radibor78 said:

As of now (0.60) the video memory settings (Options -> Video -> Textures) is limited to 2048 MB max. Playing at resolutions beyond 1080p (1440p or higher) especially in combination with render resolution of 200% and having a graphics card with more than 2 GB video memory the image quality (and performance) should profit from using more than 2 GB of video memory as it reduces load/unload of textures to/from video memory. So how do the plans (not referring to 0.61 here ;)) for the future look like in regards to video memory usage/limit and maybe update on the DirectX version/usage roadmap? Which DirectX version is currently in use? Also what size does the texture pack at the currently highest quality have?

I spoke with Fido (Lead Enfusion Programmer) this morning about this - the current video memory usage limit is defined by the 32 bit client. In the future, we fully intend to support (and is required for the offline play mode) a 64 bit client, and thus an increase in configurable video memory usage. 

As far as textures go, don't worry about that - as Fido says "Texture resolution in DayZ is high enough that all the visible textures would never fit into vram all together, and thus we stream the best mip-maps of textures on demand".

57 minutes ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

As far as textures go, don't worry about that - as Fido says "Texture resolution in DayZ is high enough that all the visible textures would never fit into vram all together, and thus we stream the best mip-maps of textures on demand".

Regarding textures being streamed on demand: When I experience scenarios like approaching a tent which is damaged it looks like a pristine tent from - I don't know, maybe - 50 meters away and at some point closer by it plops into the look/textures of a damaged tent (which it is). I have the current default config which is my resolution set to 1440p with the double render resolution used in the cfg file. So are szenarios like this caused by reloading of textures which I could reduce or avoid by using 100% render resolution (once it can be set again or with editing the cfg file and mark it read-only) or are such issues caused by other factors?

Also (without asking for any specific date or version) is the 64 bit client something that might happen in the nearer future like 0.64 or so or something that is much further in the future? Or to rephrase it, is it something that is currently done in parallel or does it require a lot of other stuff regarding the engine that need to be completed before work on it starts?

Edited by Radibor78
Added 2nd paragraph
  • Like 1