Sign in to follow this  
bfisher

So these massive bases full of loot are hackers, right?

I was watching some of these videos showing bases with a dozen tents all full of every imaginable kind of loot (see below).  I have to ask.  These are hackers using some sort of duping or other exploit, right?  Because I can play for hours and I can barely find a single matched set of weapon, ammo and magazines.  I can't even remember the last time I found A tent, let alone a dozen of them.

Otherwise, I imagine these must be clans of over a dozen guys farming NWAF and helicopter crashes on different servers like it's a full time job?

No.

Large camps don't always mean hackers.

My friends accumulate enormous stashes when playing regularly and rarely have more than 6 people working on a camp.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

No.

My friends accumulate enormous stashes when playing regularly and rarely have more than 6 people working on a camp.

More and more players are catching on to 'camping server resets', as well.

2 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

No.

OK, I feel better about it then. :)

I imagine if you have six guys, you can take NWAF easily enough and keep stocking up on all the loot.

Unfortunately I don't have time to play that much.  I rarely encounter clans or big camps.  Mostly just the random oddball trying to punch me for no reason.

It's really not that hard to get a big base like that.  It depends on a couple things like what kind of playstyle people have; obviously people who never leave the coast, or run straight up to NWAF to get killed will have trouble accumulating this much stuff.

Some things that I do to make stockpiling a more natural and easy process is to set up a couple drop tents in about 5 key locations between major points of interest that I frequent.  Once the tents are there, use them frequently to drop off anything you don't absolutely need to take with you.  Carry a burlap sack and rope, in case you happen to run across a particularly tasty helicrash while your inventory is full; you can hide your manufactured backpack safely for up to four hours, while using the improvised backpack to stuff full of goodies, also freeing up your hands to double-carry any spiffy new guns you may find.  In previous patches, maintaining a few vehicles scattered across the map was a great way to improve efficiency when trying to stock up a camp.  Nowadays, I'll use them as temporary stashes to hold my extra stuff for a half hour while I deliver the meat from a herd of cows to the nearest camp.  Recruit a couple of newer players who may have never even seen an M4 yet, and give them one of your many extras in exchange for their services as a mule.
Keep moving.  Cover lots of ground.  Avoid high risk areas when you are hauling a valuable load.

Then watch it all disappear after 45 or so days...

• Like 3

It's proportionate to your investment in the game and whether you are solo or a group. I have pretty big stashes, certainly bigger and better quality than in that video, and I'm usually a solo player. I am just dreading the inevitable day when I watch MeatGhost's latest 'giveaway' video and realise it's one of mine.

The key point for me is that my stashes are widely distributed across servers in order to avoid resets or discoveries, and that makes remembering what is where a bit of a pain...

I don't typically go out looking to get into a firefight, so once I'm super geared, I find a tent, then start looking for an ideal location for a camp. Then I pretty much dump everything on my player into the tent except maybe some food and a pistol, then head out like a fresh spawn to get geared again. To me, the quest to find the gear is the most fun, and all of the interactions along the way. When I'm super geared I just think now wat do. Either pvp or wander around mindlessly. 

Large groups and even smaller squads can accumulate lots of gear whether it be from recent firefights or looting. And with how easy loot is to find it's not uncommon to come across larger bases if you try looking for them

just shows the broken loot-economy. weapon and ammunition spawn rates are just too high. if i stay alive for a while, i always have the problems storing my stuff because there's too much of it. dayZ should be about the lack of ammo instead of what it's currently

I don't really understand the whole "broken loot" callouts on this patch.  My .308 rounds have been coming 2 or 3 at a time, from mostly empty FAL magazines at crashsites.  I lost my FNX to a hillside a few days ago, and have yet to replace it.  If I manage to get an AK and a magazine with bullets from the same military facility, I feel very lucky.
Sure, it is pretty easy to build a sizable stash if you know the game well, and put in the footwork.  Nothing about CLE in .60 seems too easy to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

I don't really understand the whole "broken loot" callouts on this patch.  My .308 rounds have been coming 2 or 3 at a time, from mostly empty FAL magazines at crashsites.  I lost my FNX to a hillside a few days ago, and have yet to replace it.  If I manage to get an AK and a magazine with bullets from the same military facility, I feel very lucky.
Sure, it is pretty easy to build a sizable stash if you know the game well, and put in the footwork.  Nothing about CLE in .60 seems too easy to me.

Agreed. My stashes come from a hell of a lot of hard work, and (I hope...) knowing what I'm doing and where to find things. It's not 'easy'.

On 10/5/2016 at 3:48 PM, emuthreat said:

I agree.  The only reason it might seem like there is "too much loot" is because there isn't a lot to shoot at.  And no loot at all would be boring.  Sure, some element of luck should be involved in staying alive, but loot shouldn't be so scarce that your survival is essentially random.

Think about it.  If 99% of the population turned to zombies, the inventory in all the sporting goods stores, markets, gun shops, hardware stores and hospitals are not going to just disappear.  The cars aren't going to all fall apart.

On a related note, my only beef with the whole giant basecamp is that it eliminates the whole concept of "permanent death".  It just becomes a minor inconvenience as you just run back to your base camp after respawning.

3 hours ago, bfisher said:

On a related note, my only beef with the whole giant basecamp is that it eliminates the whole concept of "permanent death".  It just becomes a minor inconvenience as you just run back to your base camp after respawning.

Permadeath and persistence are kind-of contradictory, but that's the way the game works.  Survival without persistent storage just doesn't seem like it would work very well.  It certainly wouldn't offer any incentive to do more than the coastal rinse-and-repeat.
A well timed killing of someone whom you had followed back to base would at least buy you a few minutes before they can run back to stop you from stealing all their best stuff.
And a well-placed mine would make them rip their hair out when they finally made it back, only to get blowed-up on the doorstep. ; )

I'm waiting for those soft skills to show up to really see what makes people value their life over some quick LOLZ.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1