Sign in to follow this  
kevo1414

When this game is finished, I dare modders to do...

I was thinking...a lot...about character value in Dayz. I read a lot of topic here in /r/dayz about what thing could or should be implemented to give a character a higher value. A real value, so that each player respect his character and others character lives. And I come to conclusion that in this type of ganre games (sandbox survive games) character get value once there exist permadeath. A true permadeath. Let me explain what I mean by that and how this should work.

For me, permadeath is like a ban. If you die, you are banned. I understand that the original Dayz game can't have this, because this would't be fair. You bought a game for 28 € and then, once you are dead, you cannot play it. Thats bullshit, but let me hear. If there was a mod, a free mod, this issue would gone or if Dayz would have another hive, separete one, from ones that already exists. Once you are dead you could still play this game, you just could not play in this type of servers (let me call them a "permadeath hardcore servers"). I hope you understand me. Let me explain further more, how exactly this could work.

Imagine, the game is finished, there is no deaths from stairs, deaths from swimmers, ghost deaths (we will get there, just have some faith in developers). Game is completed and playable so there is no bug or glitch that could kill you.

You start a new life. If you die you are banned for 1 day. For each person that you kill, you get additional days. If you kill a person your ban expends for additional 4 days. So after you kill one person and you die, you get 5 days ban. If you kill two players along your journey you get 9 days ban and so one. So for each kill you get additional 4 day ban. It doesn't matter if was a self defance kill or cold-blooded kill.

How this work in practice (in game)? You start a new life and in the distance you see a freshie. You ask yourself. It is worth to kill a freshie with no gear for 5 day ban? Probably not. You move on, maybe you ask him if he wants to team up with you or you just leave him behind. After two hours, you see another person. Fully geared. You look at him and you ask yourself again. It is worth to kill a fully gear player for 5 days ban? Probably yes, or not, depend on you, but at least it a good "offer". Let's say you killed that person and after that you killed two more. Now you are on 13 day's ban. You become a real killer, you don't value your live and other lives anymore, because additional 4 day ban would be nothing compared to 13 day ban that you already have. And that's fine, that would probably happened in real live too. The first kill must be horrible. The second one also. But when you are a serial killer you probably don't care about live anymore. Additional days ban will be punishment for killers. And what would be reward? Survival time. Your days ban can be reduce by time you are alive. Survival time alive/kill ratio would decide how many days you will be banned once you are dead.

Now, you can say that there would be a camper who would just kill freshies. Yes, that might happend, but once he die, he will be gone from server for a long time. The bigger problem that this are hackers. They would probably find a way to avoid this permadeath system (ban system) or with their cheats they would just kill others with unfair advantage. But with good administration and over the time I belive this issue can be solved.

So this is my solution, this is how I would like to see a final game. I know that this can be done with mods, but I don't know how to code, so it's up to you modders to make this happen. If anyone do this, I am prepare to support this project.

TLDR: The only thing that could give a character value is permadeath. Once you are dead, you are banned for one day. For each kill you get additional 4 day ban. Once you are banned, you could still play a game, but just not in this type of services.

Ok so lets say you are minding your own business, in a forest, cooking some Deer Steak or growing some Green Peppers, and you get attacked. You are playing PVE but realise that its either you or him you can either get killed and just get a 1 day ban, or kill said player resulting in a 4 day ban (thats if there is only one of them) Why should you get penalised for just defending yourself.  I see what you are trying to suggest and I kind of agree, in a way.  For this to work you would need to differentiate between murder and self defense.

• Like 1

If you are not psychopath, serial killer, hitman or soldier, just a normal civillian, kill a man in fight (even if it is self-defense) would affect on your mentality (probably). You may feel kind of guilty (although you are not according to the situation) for taking a human life. Some people would make a homicide just for killing a person, even if this person deserve that (ok, only God can decide who deserve to die and who not :D, but let me say it like that ). Killing someone should be a horrible thing and should be punished and this is the only thing that comes to my mind that can make it so. 

Btw, you can still try to run away but I know sometimes things happen that are just out of your control - Alexander Mahone, Prison Break :D

Edited by kevo1414

5 hours ago, kevo1414 said:

I was thinking...a lot...about character value in Dayz. I read a lot of topic here in /r/dayz about what thing could or should be implemented to give a character a higher value. A real value, so that each player respect his character and others character lives. And I come to conclusion that in this type of ganre games (sandbox survive games) character get value once there exist permadeath. A true permadeath. Let me explain what I mean by that and how this should work.

For me, permadeath is like a ban. If you die, you are banned. I understand that the original Dayz game can't have this, because this would't be fair. You bought a game for 28 € and then, once you are dead, you cannot play it. Thats bullshit, but let me hear. If there was a mod, a free mod, this issue would gone or if Dayz would have another hive, separete one, from ones that already exists. Once you are dead you could still play this game, you just could not play in this type of servers (let me call them a "permadeath hardcore servers"). I hope you understand me. Let me explain further more, how exactly this could work.

Imagine, the game is finished, there is no deaths from stairs, deaths from swimmers, ghost deaths (we will get there, just have some faith in developers). Game is completed and playable so there is no bug or glitch that could kill you.

You start a new life. If you die you are banned for 1 day. For each person that you kill, you get additional days. If you kill a person your ban expends for additional 4 days. So after you kill one person and you die, you get 5 days ban. If you kill two players along your journey you get 9 days ban and so one. So for each kill you get additional 4 day ban. It doesn't matter if was a self defance kill or cold-blooded kill.

How this work in practice (in game)? You start a new life and in the distance you see a freshie. You ask yourself. It is worth to kill a freshie with no gear for 5 day ban? Probably not. You move on, maybe you ask him if he wants to team up with you or you just leave him behind. After two hours, you see another person. Fully geared. You look at him and you ask yourself again. It is worth to kill a fully gear player for 5 days ban? Probably yes, or not, depend on you, but at least it a good "offer". Let's say you killed that person and after that you killed two more. Now you are on 13 day's ban. You become a real killer, you don't value your live and other lives anymore, because additional 4 day ban would be nothing compared to 13 day ban that you already have. And that's fine, that would probably happened in real live too. The first kill must be horrible. The second one also. But when you are a serial killer you probably don't care about live anymore. Additional days ban will be punishment for killers. And what would be reward? Survival time. Your days ban can be reduce by time you are alive. Survival time alive/kill ratio would decide how many days you will be banned once you are dead.

Now, you can say that there would be a camper who would just kill freshies. Yes, that might happend, but once he die, he will be gone from server for a long time. The bigger problem that this are hackers. They would probably find a way to avoid this permadeath system (ban system) or with their cheats they would just kill others with unfair advantage. But with good administration and over the time I belive this issue can be solved.

So this is my solution, this is how I would like to see a final game. I know that this can be done with mods, but I don't know how to code, so it's up to you modders to make this happen. If anyone do this, I am prepare to support this project.

TLDR: The only thing that could give a character value is permadeath. Once you are dead, you are banned for one day. For each kill you get additional 4 day ban. Once you are banned, you could still play a game, but just not in this type of services.

One really big issue you run into with an idea like this is logistics. By having any type of bans in connection with death or pvp it won't work. A lot of servers are hosted by regular people. By having bans it will decrease players on a server and hence reduce donation to keep the server running. So I don't see any modders spending time on something like this. 

You are right, that makes me sad :(

Edited by kevo1414

Hey Kevo, 

I can't help but reply to these topics, It used to be that this was all I would discuss on the dayz forums...

I disagree that this is the only way to give players value, it is quite brutal and therefore very much in line with the original spirit of dayz and im sure that there would be many people who would like to see how this may change the way people play.

I have been of the persuasion that when the disease mechanic is fully implemented (haven't heard much about it of late...) the various immunity's you gather over a lifetime may give your character value, but like you say the real problem is giving everyone a value to one another.

For me, the only thing that everyone values in the game is loot -  So therefore everyone's lives should be somehow intrinsically linked to it. I have come up with several iterations along this theme and will try to implement it in some way when modding comes about. This one is the most interesting:

I just want zeds everywhere even in the woods. I want them attacking any place where there is a lot of noise as well. I also would like to see a lack of food and ammo and guns in general. more or less a more survival based game mode with more stealth in mind. As I see it dayz will go the way of the mod I know it's been stated all the time but there will be easy mode servers where there's 500+ cars with trade zones and you'll start kitted with an m4 as well as easy base building and easy vehicle maintenance/repair. The game to me is going to be nothing but a free for all deathmatch for those without patience or love of survival. I just hope there is if anything a community and a game mode for those that want something more hardcore if that's the proper term for it. As it is now the game isn't hard it's easy to survive and the only threat is humans which to me is boring as hell. i know the game is nowhere near finished but the amount of loot being food guns ammo clothing makes it to easy and very predictable.