Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.135961

21 minutes ago, cal_ said:

They could even select testers and set up a server for testers only.

This will never work.

Who gets to decide who gets the password and who doesn't?

Does my 4 1/2 years and 3,500+ posts here give me precedence over your 14 posts for a position on the testing server?

As this is still Alpha, we are all still testing, whether Experimental or Stable branch really....

^It's this central fact that is lost on so many rage filled anti-gamers here.

• Like 4

That could be even paid testers, and yes, for me your 3500+ posts would give you precedence if they would choose the testers from the forum

Edited by cal_

I get the streamer-server angle, it's good for overall game exposure.  Outside of that I think the devs are smart not to show too much favoritism to any one group.  Bio's right, how would they choose x-amount of testers out of the hundreds of dedicated players here on these forums (and elsewhere too).  I don't see how they could that pull off without alienating everyone else.

• Like 2

Does not my 5000 hrs on 2 accounts and 1000 + videos count?

• Like 1

Idk dude, for me it's case per case. It seems to get everyone angry so I think they could pay testers (not dayz players, pro testers) or don't do anything at all

3 minutes ago, cal_ said:

Idk dude, for me it's case per case. It seems to get everyone angry so I think they could pay testers (not dayz players, pro testers) or don't do anything at all

They do actually have a QA staff. Some problems do not reveal themselves, however, until a server is put under load, or testers do unusual, or unanticipated things. That is where the Exp build comes in.

• Like 4

Ok no testers then :)

2 hours ago, plasteek said:

Not saying you're wrong, but some streamers were literally pretending to spam to get in when all they had to do was click once.  A lot of the butt-hurt was people not appreciating being taken for fools.  But yes, many people are going to be butt-hurt no matter what.  Personally I don't see a streamer-only server as any different from any other private, password-protected server.

I did none of what you mention and still had butt hurt people albeit not mostly in Twitch. There is no denying it was far from perfect at the time, but it was a very quick implementation of something to try and solve an unforeseen problem. The streamers were between a rock and a hard place on the night that server launched. However its old news and so no point discussing in detail from back then. Stuff like this polarises people however, some people seem to take huge offence to a server being set aside for streamers (even when clear it wasn't at the expense of a server for all players). I think with the new queuing system we should all be fine to get on exp if we want.

Edited by therunningmanz
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noctoras said:

Depends. WoBo yes, mostly PvP streamers less so.

A little sweeping IMO. Im far from perfect but I have filed the odd bit of bug feedback (I do a bit of streaming). I love DayZ just as much as a regular DayZ fan like the people in here, like you. A DayZ streamer can be a big fan of the game, the same as anyone else. I agree with you what you said earlier when you said streamers should be treated like a regular DayZ player. However that equally means you don't get to discount how useful they are because of what their stream is like, it doesnt mean they don't care about the game or file bug reports etc. The chances are they are the same as the entire player base, a few do, and the majority don't. ;)

• Like 4

Keep it on topic people.

Quick update for everyone, the gameplay programming team is heads down on the crash experienced during the first testing period. Peter and I spent a good deal of time today going over proposals for (not certain this will make it in .61 however) enabling people to make educated decisions in regards to the server choice ala max player slots, and I spent a bunch of time wishing I was back home so I could take my nephew trick or treating.. I mean, working on my PAX Aus presentation.

• Like 17

35 minutes ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Keep it on topic peopleI spent a bunch of time wishing I was back home so I could take my nephew trick or treating.. I mean, working on my PAX Aus presentation.

Just go tricker treating if you can, what's one more day. Are you actually over seas working on this thing? I'm not really familiar with the geography of the studio.

1 hour ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Keep it on topic people.

Quick update for everyone, the gameplay programming team is heads down on the crash experienced during the first testing period. Peter and I spent a good deal of time today going over proposals for (not certain this will make it in .61 however) enabling people to make educated decisions in regards to the server choice ala max player slots, and I spent a bunch of time wishing I was back home so I could take my nephew trick or treating.. I mean, working on my PAX Aus presentation.

Hicks, 

Thanks for keeping an open line of communication with the community about this.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Well, that is really going to depend on the weather, which is fairly random. If it rains, I'm definitely hoping to see that become a risk.

Does this mean DayZ will be moving away from 'seasons' and weather will be random throughout the year and across servers?

I had kind of assumed that the current patch was just adjusted to whatever "season" was clocked at the time. 

Edited by Influence_X

Hello !

It was mentioned in a previous status report that the vehicle will not be in the first interration of 0.61 experimental, is this still the case ?

Or do you make some improvement in network synchronization of vehicle ?

keep up the good works as always ! ;)

3 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I've had conversations with people that have as much or more in game time than I and found I could completely inform them on the basic path of the game.

It was like they played in a vacuum; and these were people I thought were intelligent and were engaged with the development process.

That said, I would like to personally welcome all the new people joining recently who want to contribute in a constructive manner no matter what your in game time is.

May the DayZ GodZ smile upon thee, Survivor, KoS'r, Bandit, Hermit, or Bambi.

Speaking as a guy with about 250-300 hours.... seriously thanks for that. (A survivor who hasn't killed anyone yet) 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Harold Palmer said:

(A survivor who hasn't killed anyone yet)

Kudos.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Influence_X said:

Does this mean DayZ will be moving away from 'seasons' and weather will be random throughout the year and across servers?

I had kind of assumed that the current patch was just adjusted to whatever "season" was clocked at the time. 

My recollection is that the engine is fully capable of emulating the complete seasonal weather cycle. It has always been locked on Autumn in Eastern Europe, however, in order to provide a survival challenge. Granted, hypothermia has not been a serious concern for many months, but when it was first introduced, it was essential to dress appropriately and rain, which was then a frequent feature, was literally life threatening. Once we hit beta and the balancing begins, I expect that the cold weather will come back with a vengeance.

I expect that the game will remain locked where it is, as Brian has always leaned towards the game being a survival challenge, but there is the potential that the seasonal changes could be observed on a private server ... when modding becomes a thing.

To be honest, the biggest problem with DayZ right now is the desync.  The game wouldn't feel so clunky if the desync issue wasn't there.  It pisses me off when people downright deny the problem of desync.  I hope these .61 networking improvements will actually change that, cause it's downright awful dealing with it; .60 seems to be the patch with the worse of it, I love the new renderer; now we have amazing FPS, the networking just needs to be fixed.  That's always been my biggest problem with Bohemia Games; that strange, weird, only in arma/dayz rubberbanding.  I just hope the networking improvements aren't just positive words coming from the devs to get hopes up, i guess we'll see in exp .61

2 hours ago, BleedoutBill said:

My recollection is that the engine is fully capable of emulating the complete seasonal weather cycle. It has always been locked on Autumn in Eastern Europe, however, in order to provide a survival challenge. Granted, hypothermia has not been a serious concern for many months, but when it was first introduced, it was essential to dress appropriately and rain, which was then a frequent feature, was literally life threatening. Once we hit beta and the balancing begins, I expect that the cold weather will come back with a vengeance.

I expect that the game will remain locked where it is, as Brian has always leaned towards the game being a survival challenge, but there is the potential that the seasonal changes could be observed on a private server ... when modding becomes a thing.

I remember the early temperature patches. I think I've died to hypothermia directly maybe twice in my dayZ experience. I understand the hosts are going to be able to set seasons later on, I was just curious if the current patch was set to be summer because it was released in July. I remember .59 was released late fall or early winter, and was colder. So I had kind of assumed that whatever patch dropped was just clocked to whatever season at the time. 

It`s interesting about new map changes which is also an on-going process - not sure if 60/60 is enough players on a server to get it interesting. Crowfall in beta soon and open world launches with crafting and pvp testing have a sandbox server which will have 2000 players on the same server, but the map is in similar size as Dayz, but it`s an mmo.

So I hope the dayz dev. team are aiming for 100+ population in beta to get a decent amount of action on the Dayz map, because it`s easy to blend into the terrain and stay hidden if you wish to keep a low profile, and most players are green or black after 10 minutes of play so. :)

Edited by ori42

I think higher pop would be nice but i think 2000 would be way too much.  i like the feel the game gives me when u can walk for an hour and see no one.  i like having to travel to large towns or high end loot spawns to see other players.  it gives that impression that the world has died and there is only a few of us left.  if you ran into another player every 5 or 10 minutes it would be more like a disease that a few people got but most people were imune to instead of one that has almost entirely wiped out the human race.  id love to see 100 pop servers but i worry that going much higher might ruin the immersive apocalypse we have now.

yeah, I was just teasing with numbers 2k is mmo style different approach and genre. But I think when we are closer to beta that we should aim for about 100/100 servers - just a personal opinion based on the map scale in Dayz. 

Edited by ori42

Looks like we may have a potential server crash fix for Experimental. Baty should keep you guys filled in.

• Like 11