Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.135961

On 10/19/2016 at 0:55 AM, Noctoras said:

Well, you could and should ignore single reports. The current system is a joke however. It basically is a system designed to keep people from reporting server abuse. Since YEARS the server list is filled with the join=kick stuff, ironically quite a few servers even state that they disregard server rules by their very server name and yet nothing happens. I once or twice reported a server - basically a pointless exercise since in most cases nothing happens.

I do think the treshold for server reporting needs to be a lot lower ... currently it's almost as cumbersome as writing a job application and has similar chances for success. Sure people can report servers for anything, but it's a difference, if a server is reported 5 times or 500 times a month. In the latter case the server should be reviewed. Or if the server name is "join=ban" there is not that much investigation needed.

Yeah you have a point. The current system isn't good, there should be a better process in place. I just don't think reporting should be made too easy or there will be piles of shit to go through. Rocket League has this ingame reporting system and some people report everyone. There haven't been complaints of people getting restricted or banned in that matter. So it's assumed that nothing is done with the reports. Something like that would suck bigtime, so let's try and get something that works.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, barelyinfected said:

Yeah you have a point. The current system isn't good, there should be a better process in place. I just don't think reporting should be made too easy or there will be piles of shit to go through. Rocket League has this ingame reporting system and some people report everyone. There haven't been complaints of people getting restricted or banned in that matter. So it's assumed that nothing is done with the reports. Something like that would suck bigtime, so let's try and get something that works.

Good point. It's a question of balancing things. Currently, the system is promoting admin abuse. Of course it should not come to a point where admin abuse is replaced by "I have been killed and will report you now" people. Thus I do see a need for change here and all the same I agree with you, it needs a balanced approach.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2016 at 7:13 PM, Espa said:

Hey Hicks, quick question. Will .61 be updating the Infected Sound system? I saw this on your Trello and was curious. 

https://trello.com/c/xxn9t08Q/56-new-zed-sounds-wip

Negative. .61 Audio wise will only see the introduction of the weapon sounds configured to take advantage of the new audio. Other areas in later builds.

• Like 4

On 10/17/2016 at 9:03 PM, philbur said:

And, while you are thinking about sound, Brian....

When will we see a noticeable improvement in positional audio? If I am not mistaken, the audio is still using legacy engine calls to manage it...right?

I don't recall your latest SR saying anything about the actual DX Audio sub-system being "Enfused" yet, so can you provide some insight into when it gets to play outside with the renderer?

Thanks...(I think my 7.1 system has fossilized due to my constant A40 usage) ((Just as well, I guess, because I still can not find a mic good enough to use in combination with loud external surround speakers!)).

If by improvement you mean some of the SFX being genuinely dynamic position based - then yes. As far as the whole gambit of sounds, probably not for .61 - but later on we should see more changes for sounds configured to properly take advantage of what the new tech offers.

I can ping Andrej about talking about that.

• Like 7

On 10/18/2016 at 8:00 AM, Noctoras said:

Seems not be be read ion the status report thread.

Will the new server browser encompass a "quick report" function, so we can just report a join/kick server after our pleasant stay? I know this might touch business interests, so I don't hold my hopes high, but still ... can't resist asking.

No sir - don't expect any in-game reporting function for that - but later changes to the server browser (which I might touch on at PAX Aus) should remove some of the need for that.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2016 at 0:21 AM, Jacob_Mango said:

@Hicks_206 (DayZ) next status report can you tell us, in technical terms, what is wrong? Describe the blockers is what I mean. Thank you :) 

I always do!

• Like 1

On 10/19/2016 at 5:46 AM, igor-vk said:

I vote YES to vertically-mobile AI. That is also big NO for campers.

While it seems interesting.. (I remember some versions of the mod had me stuck in a corner due to climbing infected chasing me down) I'm not certain about addressing it on a technical level.

Tell you what - I will talk to Peter about it and get his feedback, and come back here with it.

• Like 6

Oh Okey,  i thought every sound would become quote: "...dynamic position based.." now with the new sound engine! And with the work being done now was just adding or chaning/replacing old/ existing..

Ping Andrej! @hicks_206

Best regards

Edited by zemos (DayZ)

You guys are actually doing it: Creating an engine for the future while simultaneously building a huge game to utilize it. It sounds like you have an organized plan that just may actually work. The audio is huge for immersion, and can't wait for "dynamically position based" SFX and the new lighting/shadows the most. I didn't realize at first how big of a step .61 may actually be...let me test it and I will report back :)

Edited by JBURNS489
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, JBURNS489 said:

You guys are actually doing it: Creating an engine for the future while simultaneously building a huge game to utilize it. It sounds like you have an organized plan that just may actually work. The audio is huge for immersion, and can't wait for "dynamically position based" SFX and the new lighting/shadows the most. I didn't realize at first how big of a step .61 may actually be...let me test it and I will report back :)

Its pretty heavy work that just takes time. It can be really stressful trying to communicate and explain that at times - and sure we've had our slips and have been over excited or confident at times, but that hasn't changed our determination to get the job done right.
Patience, patience, patience - as hard as that may be at times.

I record all my bug bash footage for the QA team, and had some stuff I wanted to share - but the damn mic mixer I use messed up yesterdays footage. Will try and record some more tomorrow.

For now, here is a screenshot of me eating a QA tester.

XUTCcWU.jpg

• Like 8

hej brian,

all blockers considered, the art and the "gaming-world" team just hasn't stopped working in the meantime. we've also seen more and more hints regarding a fair of some sorts. what is your plan here? will cherno or elektro get their own Santa Monica pier? i always had berezino with lots of tents and ale-benches in mind, some sort of cider-festival with banners and ads scattered around that region...in the end overrun and torn down in those last days of humanity...

well back to the question: some additions in 0.61 regarding art-assets or reworked/ new places in chernarus? SPECIFICS!!11OneEleven

cheers

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

I've said it before but worth repeating, 0.60 showed us it is worth the wait.
So while I am going semi nuts waiting, I'll take a good result over a rushed result any day.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, joe_mcentire said:

hej brian,

all blockers considered, the art and the "gaming-world" team just hasn't stopped working in the meantime. we've also seen more and more hints regarding a fair of some sorts. what is your plan here? will cherno or elektro get their own Santa Monica pier? i always had berezino with lots of tents and ale-benches in mind, some sort of cider-festival with banners and ads scattered around that region...in the end overrun and torn down in those last days of humanity...

well back to the question: some additions in 0.61 regarding art-assets or reworked/ new places in chernarus?

I am picturing one of the soccer fields used as a spot for a mobile tour that got abandoned.
We where just talking about that on the Steam forums the other day and woosh that little shooting caravan popped up with wheels :)
Also a good spot to sneak back some of the Teddy bears :)

i would also want to take the chance and ask you to declare yourself:

• AI Improvements
  • New Particles
  • Character-Centric Main Menu
  • New Physics
  • New Damage System
  • Character Soft Skills

all recently added to your Trello activities

cheers

@joe_mcentire as ppl have said earlier, 061 seems to be larger the we first thought and if not (te audio engine and improved render.. is more then enough for me..) , it still gonna be a super intressting/exciting autumn/winter, following the dev of our beloved dayz!

Best regards

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zemos (DayZ) said:

@joe_mcentire as ppl have said earlier, 061 seems to be larger the we first thought and if not (te audio engine and improved render.. is more then enough for me..) , it still gonna be a super intressting/exciting autumn/winter, following the dev of our beloved dayz!

Best regards

The network changes should be a nice step as well. If that was mentioned at first it totally slipped past me. But would also explain why it is taking longer than I first thought.

"Just sound" seemed like a quick patch, but this is good stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

If by improvement you mean some of the SFX being genuinely dynamic position based - then yes. As far as the whole gambit of sounds, probably not for .61 - but later on we should see more changes for sounds configured to properly take advantage of what the new tech offers.

I can ping Andrej about talking about that.

Regarding dynamic SFX, will the new system involve surface reflection and constructive/destructive wave interference?  For instance, will there be any means by which gunshots fired in the bottom of a long valley would carry on and possibly amplify along the axis of the valley, such as between Nadezhdino and Rogovo?

Will different terrain have dampening effects?  Will firing a magnum inside a firehouse be louder than firing outside?  Will gunshots reflect off of grassy fields at greater fidelity and amplitude than if they were produced from within a forested area? 

Will topography have any effect on the way that sounds are perceived?  Let's say I am at the lower visitor's center to Devils castle and pop-off a longhorn round, Would players placed equidistantly in Ratnoe, Grishino, and Gvozdno proper perceive the sound similarly, or will the mountain significantly dampen the noise as heard from Rantoe?

• Like 2

@emuthreat, Is this the Eden sound update in a nutshell? The addition of occlusion, reverberation, echo, and other factors that all contribute to accurately creating sound effects that behave "realistically".

I would have to come up with a massive double-handed Face Palm if this is wrong, because I am under the impression that Eden is exactly that, a massive improvement on all those things you touched on...

As Brian said, though...these advanced SFX features might not be implemented until later builds. I do hope @Andrej finds a bit of time to maybe give us a few paragraphs on how the sound development is progressing.

• Like 1

Do you guys not play ArmAIII ?

*The sounds are excellent, localising gun fire direction works like a dream, as do footsteps or which direction is that little bird coming in from, even localising enemy chat (in local) is possible.

Any decent sound set up will do the job, I have a 5+1 Creative Labs set or ( and in preference) a good head set.
My expectations for the sound development in DayZ are good.

*Sa- Matra's KOTH HC/Infantary EU3#  /CA#2 if you want to check out the sound and shoot me if you can.

• Like 8

I know theres obvious network improvements coming with .61 but any chance the Eden audio engine will improve CPU load performance? Something as small as 1-5% would be impressive. I understand it increases the quality and processing to the audio BUT since its using a more streamline and 64bit based code I'd assume less impact.

7 hours ago, boneboys said:

*The sounds are excellent, localising gun fire direction works like a dream, as do footsteps or which direction is that little bird coming in from, even localising enemy chat (in local) is possible.

Any decent sound set up will do the job, I have a 5+1 Creative Labs set or ( and in preference) a good head set.
My expectations for the sound development in DayZ are good.

*Sa- Matra's KOTH HC/Infantary EU3#  /CA#2 if you want to check out the sound and shoot me if you can.

Yup... I do, indeed play ARMA 3....so that is why I mentioned that 'most" of the missing SFX features and performance should be covered by Eden when it gets fully implemented.

I probably should have edited my comment as such; " Is this NOT the Eden sound update in a nutshell? "

2 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

https://arma3.com/news/arma-3-roadmap-2016-17#.WAotHuArKUl seems like Arma guys are gonna be using the enfusion engine. I know and understand the devs have to get this right if the new Arma stuff will be using it. Relevant info at the bottom.

Yeah... News that Enfusion was going to be the engine behind ARMA (and probably a host of other BI titles) has effectively shut me up in relation to development timelines and build releases.

It's one thing to pop a frozen entree of your choice into a microwave for your DayZ session late at night...quite another to cook for a whole mess of food critics.

• Like 2

Also...I'm sure a lot of you guys are aware that the Q&A Session (with a large part of it being about Enfusion) has been filmed and should be ready to go in the next little while.

That Q&A should be just as informative, if not more so, than anything else currently in the pipeline.

• Like 2

I don't play ARMA III, pardon my ignorance. I actually just bought the ARMA II collection the other day to get some historical context while we wait for .61.

As for my most recent and specific questions, they were related to .61 functionality. Trying to get an idea of what to expect in .61, aside from cold rain  The only sound demo I saw was of the different gunshots from a range of distances; it really didn't show too much besides the dB at different ranges.

22 hours ago, boneboys said:

*The sounds are excellent,

We have exile server on Sahrani map, and souds on that map are different then other maps. When there are firefights in Corazol and I am in suburbs it souds awesome. Like real war zone with eco awesome souds.