Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.135961

Do we really need per player spawns at all?  If the zeds dont spawn untill a player is a certain distance from a town than you can afford to have much more of them.  Looting towns should be difficult.  If the entire map can have up to 1000 zeds at any given time (random number) then just flood towns that are near players.  If the player is smart enough to team up to clear a town then good.  It shouldnt be harder for that group just because they are smart enough to team up.  This will increase the importance of being sneaky when playing solo.  It will give the game that scary feel because all towns will be flooded with zeds one player or 20. Then when players leave the vacinity the zeds can despawn and spawn in the next town.  You could add a timer so that the cleared out town would not spawn any for half hour or an hour but bodys would not despawn till after times ends.  

As im typing this im realizing that one player in each town might break the game...  i have no idea what im talking about.  I probably shouldnt post first thing in the morn

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gannon46 said:

How's the dynamic spawning of infected coming along? That is the one thing I would like to see and hear more about if there is anything to share it would be appreciated.

The tech is all plugged in, and most of the map is already configured for it. We're currently testing fixes related to them being spawned globally regardless of triggers, and making some small adjustments to concentration - but as I mention in the Status Report today - Server side performance is a big focus, so we can see how far we can turn them up in this build.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, imunone said:

I think discussions about the dynamic spawnsystem coming with .61 arent out of scope.

+1 to the  lonley or maybe small horde of three zeds roaming in the woods.

... and here it would be great again if both systems could get mixed together. Because if its possible there spawning 24 zeds without or with players in the zone nobody knows if those zeds are player or area spawned. It would be enough if there lets say 300 zeds per area spawn in groups between 3 and 40 so we have 10-15 zombie hordes spawn per area spawn. And the rest will spawn in addition per player count so you never could be shure if the zeds you see are player- or areabased. The only metagaming thing which will be possible if zeds spotting a player and aggro him. But first this would be absolutely realistic and immersive and second maybe theres a wolf, a deer or a cow which attracts aggro.

And with the per player spawn it could be, that only 3 zeds or maybe zero...? I cant remember which numbers I read. I think it was 0-8 zeds per player? Sometimes there are 24 in the zone if you play with two other guys.

Infected AI that are not within the network bubble of a player are inactive, and not taking server resources.

That said, while dynamic spawning should go a long way to making it seem like there are more infected much like in the mod - the real payoff here comes after server perf optimization. It is only *then* that we can really see how busy we can get Chernarus to be, infected wise.

(So in short, I guess what Im saying is - please keep in mind this is one step towards the end goal, it is not the end goal - this won't fix all of our problems or magically make DayZ seem like an insane apocalypse just yet - all builds before 1.0 should be approached with cautious optimism)

• Like 6

I know :)

...but the difference between the old system, where all zeds had fix spawning "towns" right now and the new system is, that, like helicrashsites, there are several possible spawnareas and after serverrestart there are spawning infected in idle state... am I right?

33 minutes ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Infected AI that are not within the network bubble of a player are inactive, and not taking server resources.

Nice info to know! :D

Thx for the info on the zeds Hicks. I know you guys will get them in and killing us like they should. 

• Like 4

I remembered something y-day that I had almost forgotten. Will there be a scope for the IZ-H soon? Its basically useless as it is now and it does have a scope rail.

Is it true that gun sounds not being heard is a desync issue that will possibly continue with .61 and the new apex sound engine?

Hicks, we all appreciate the effort you guys are putting in, as well as the extra work to keep us informed! It's keeping the majority of us from going crazy with the wait and I think we can all agree that the new additions to the game look so (ridiculously) promising. Please-O-Please shuffle out those bugs! You guys can summon forth the energy and willpower via Spirit Bomb method.

If you guys foresee this taking a big longer, could we get a clip of the New Threats to be seen in .61? Just a short clip showing how Dynamic Spawning works with the numbers of Infected, random wolf attacks, and how quickly Hypothermia can be applied now with the temperature modifiers would be boss. I'm really looking forward to this being the Survival Patch.

• Like 3

On 11.10.2016 at 5:17 PM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

That said, while dynamic spawning should go a long way to making it seem like there are more infected much like in the mod - the real payoff here comes after server perf optimization. It is only *then* that we can really see how busy we can get Chernarus to be, infected wise.

(So in short, I guess what Im saying is - please keep in mind this is one step towards the end goal, it is not the end goal - this won't fix all of our problems or magically make DayZ seem like an insane apocalypse just yet - all builds before 1.0 should be approached with cautious optimism)

Quick question
Are you guys considering a LOS check when it comes to the dynamic spawning.

As long as you can "trick" us into not seeing the zeds popping in I am sure this system would work great.
But if you start seeing them popping in when scouting out towns it would be a bit like the mod again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

Quick question
Are you guys considering a LOS check when it comes to the dynamic spawning.

As long as you can "trick" us into not seeing the zeds popping in I am sure this system would work great.
But if you start seeing them popping in when scouting out towns it would be a bit like the mod again.

I thought this could be equally fixed by spawning the Infected inside buildings rather than out on the streets. That way if you were approaching a town and suddenly there were spawning more - but there had already been around 15 Infected. . You have no idea how nasty the situation is or how many players are creeping about.

But you would hear the Infected groan as you approach and you could realize that it's reallyyy populated, giving you the choice to go in or not. . The difference is you would be into the town before you realize this.

• Like 2

Hi Brian,

Do you increase the damage and/or the aggro range of the zombies in this patch?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Killawife said:

I remembered something y-day that I had almost forgotten. Will there be a scope for the IZ-H soon? Its basically useless as it is now and it does have a scope rail.

Why useless? If you have the ammo for it and it's what you find it's perfectly capable of dropping a zed or a player or a wolf. It's also relatively light-weight and not prone to damage. These things will be more useful going forward than they are now. Finally, I'm sure when weapon modifications enter the game you'll be able to mod a scope to put on it.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Espa said:

I thought this could be equally fixed by spawning the Infected inside buildings rather than out on the streets. That way if you were approaching a town and suddenly there were spawning more - but there had already been around 15 Infected. . You have no idea how nasty the situation is or how many players are creeping about.

But you would hear the Infected groan as you approach and you could realize that it's reallyyy populated, giving you the choice to go in or not. . The difference is you would be into the town before you realize this.

That could be a thing yeah and since doors spawn with random states some could wander out by them self and others would be stuck in buildings waiting for you and your future stroke as you run in.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 7:59 AM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

This would be possible for a project that was being developed traditionally - and becomes significantly less plausible when you toss in engine development. 
We can only branch so many times before it becomes a complete and total mess to test, and manage.

Especially moving through .60, .61, and future updates that include massive technology changes such as the animation system and related player controller, user actions, etc.

Like I've been paraphrased saying before - Quicker iteration will become more of a possibility when the major engine modules are completed and merged into the Steam branch. Prior to that - it just isn't practical.

so how are the likes of ark devs doing it then, 2 updates plus fixes per month, all while integrating performance improvements as well as integration with DX12?? not to mention adding nvidia ansel to the game!!!

also seems you like deleting posts you dont wanna hear about or reply to as my posts been deleted too and was relevant to next update :-)

Edited by Surviv0r1969

9 minutes ago, Surviv0r1969 said:

so how are the likes of ark devs doing it then, 2 updates plus fixes per month, all while integrating performance improvements as well as integration with DX12??

Finished game engine first of all. 1 update a month now + delays and still no DX12. Don't get me wrong I love that game, but it is a different setup they got over there.

14 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

Finished game engine first of all. 1 update a month now + delays and still no DX12. Don't get me wrong I love that game, but it is a different setup they got over there.

not sure what you had then as i have had lots of updates of current version this month as listed

Current Version: v247.99
* Improvement to Server PhysX performance!
v247.97
* Further performance improvement to server-side timer logic.
v247.96
* Fixed serious performance issue with dedicated servers. Highly Recommend that all server hosts upgrade as soon as possible!
v247.95
* Significant server-side performance improvements of approximately 10% on average. Requires Server Update.
* Servers can now override their difficulty above 4.0, using "?OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5.0" or whatever number they want. Be careful not to go too high!
v247.93
* Made Dinos' current Following Target save.
* Fixed a case where Tamed Dinos could be erroneously destroyed on load/unstasis.
* Changed enemy-structure destruction log (for the victim tribe) to not display in Tribe Logs by default (instead, a generic structure destruction message is given). Use server setting "?TribeLogDestroyedEnemyStructures=true" to make it indicate the attacker tribe.
v247.91
* Fixed issue where Water Pipes & Electric Cables would not update their state correctly.  Requires Server Update. Highly recomend that all servers upgrade for this fix!
v247.9
* Fixed critical performance problems with Water Pipes & Electric Cables!  Requires Server Update.
* Fixed issue where stasised Wells wouldn't refill connected Taps. Requires Server Update.
* Fixed issue where water containers in Taps connected to wells would cause the pipes to flicker filled/unfilled. Requires Server Update.
* Homing Rocket now has max targeting range of 6800 units, and can be distracted by nearby Flares. Requires Server Update.
* Plant Species Y now has 300% larger activation radius, kills victims faster, lasts longer, degrades & pierces their armor more, and can now only be damaged by flame or explosives Requires Server Update.
* Whip now has 40% chance to disarm, rather than 25%. Requires Server Update.
* Fixed issue where Hotkey slots were getting shifted when transferring characters with items across ARK clusters. Requires Server Update.
v247.85
* Fixed issue where player collision could get stuck on pipes/cables. Requires Server Update.
* Added "-ClusterDirOverride=C:/TestStorage/" launch parameter to servers (use whatever path you want). This allows you to use a common cross-server storage location that functions between multiple servers running on the same machine. (And you also still need to launch with "-ClusterId=SOMETHINGUNIQUE" in order to get your box's servers to allow cross-transfer.)
v247.81
* Fixed overspawning and physics/collision volume issues on TheCenter. Requires Server Update.
v247.8
* Fixed various misc level issues on TheCenter. Requires Server Update.
* Fixed Pillars accidentally preventing resource spawns around them. Requires Server Update.
* Fixed Giganotosaurus not being able to attack trees. Requires Server Update.
v247.7
* Fixed Archaeopteryx latching onto ScorchedEarth Joshua Tree. Requires Server Update.
* Fixed Mac text input crash.
v247.6
* Fixed case where players could get themselves pushed through world geometry! Requires Server Update.
* Fixed case where Survivors/Items could be lost on travelling between ARK's
v247.51
* Fixed Oculus Rift support for 1.0.0 Retail SDK!
v247.5
* Fixed a server-side crash with downloading Survivors on Unofficial Servers.
* Fixed a crash with the List Sessions UI
* Improved appearance of Landscape in Ansel Super Resolution captures
* Fixed an input locking issue with IME using Chinese characters.
v247.4
* Added Archaeopteryx and Tapejara to ScorchedEarth -- Archaeopteryx hangs around Joshua Trees, Tapejara can be found in mountainous areas. 
v247.3
* Fixed Archaeopteryx spawn frequency on TheIsland, now common in Redwoods. Requires server update.
* Fixed client crash-on-exit that occured with certain mods
v247.21
* Fixed TheCenter spawning Archaeopteryx. Requires server update.
* Fixed crash that could occur when someone was a passenger on the Tapejara
* Fixed edge case of aiming weapons on the Tapejara.Requires server update.
v247.2
* Fixed issue with Structures not colorizing.
* Fixed issue with platform Beds not allowing spawn. Requires server update.
* Fixed crash with equipping weapons onto Mantis in singleplayer
* Improved TheCenter performance/RAM issue (still a remaining problem with this).
* Fixed Primitive+ Crash. Requires server update.
v247.1
* Fixed ability to use Torches/Spyglass/etc while Riding Dinos. Requires Server Update.
* Fixed Allosaurus Kibble requirements (uses Savoroot Veggie, not Savoroot Seed). Requires Server Update.
* Fixed Allososaurus & Pelagornis Fertilized Eggs making respective Kibble. Requires Server Update.
* Fixed singleplayer crash reloading with Mantis Equipment
* Fixed Primitive+ character animations & updated Primitive+ content. We highly recommend that all Prim+ servers update to this new version!
v247.0
* TheCenter mega-update!
* New Item: Night Vision Goggles!
* New Dino: Tapejara!
* New Dino: Archaeopteryx!
* Added Server Option to disable Dino Mate Boost
* Wind Turbines and Jerboa now function properly on TheCenter and TheIsland
* PvE Greenhouse auto-demolish timers are now 25% more than Stone
* You can now name turrets and the turret name will show up in the Tribe Kill Log/HUD message.
* 30% to 40% rendering performance improvement of Structures
* ~300 MB memory reduction by dynamically streaming the destruction meshes
* NVIDIA Ansel now supports TrueSky at Super Resolutions, and improved Super Resolution SSAO
* Fixed the colorizable regions of the Wood Chair and Bench (4 of them)
* In-Menu Options to disable Bloom and Light Shafts, respectively
* Fixed Korean Langauge setting to use the Steam language value
* Fixed various collision glitch/exploit cases

meanwhile dayz has been static again

Considering you said "2 times a month" I disregarded all their usual hot fixes yes... You know since you didn't add them into your "2 weeks" either.
Not that this is relevant here what so ever and you're disregarding anything I wrote about DayZ and development I suggest we stop wasting time on that topic.

Edited by Gobbokirk

23 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

Considering you said "2 times a month" I disregarded all their usual hot fixes yes... You know since you didn't add them into your "2 weeks" either.
Not that this is relevant here what so ever and you're disregarding anything I wrote about DayZ and development I suggest we stop wasting time on that topic.

the versions goes up twice a month, had 246 and 247 in last 3 and half weeks

Still not quite understanding how dynamic spawning will work but if the result is more zeds then it will be awesome.  

Extremely excited for predators and think it would be cool if we could make wolfskin backpacks or something.  Would be a nice trophy to carry.

Very much looking forward to .61

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IMT said:

And let's not forget that most Early Access game go open alpha after a lot of stuff is already made (engine, etc.). DayZ Standalone has been open alpha since the very beginning.

But let's just go on-topic and stop with this nonesense and focus on 0.61. Who is looking forward to the dynamic infected, I know one person is dying for it, right Bio? ;-) It's time again to be cautious in smaller towns now, wait... with the predatory animals you need to be cautious everywhere now. I really look forward to see all these new changes which make the game feel different, just like 0.60. I'm also curious about the new sound engine, are the gunshot sounds changed now? If that's the case then there will be a new learning curve for even veterans as well. :-)

Yes, there's a new sound engine as well. There will be improved sounds for all weapons and you should now be able to tell what direction a weapon was fired in and how close or how far away it is to your location.

Hello.

I am just wondering how the current blockers are coming along? What I mean is that can we receive more information on these blockers. Such as what you think is causing it and what the proposed fixed is. 

Brain pls respond if you could.

I have only one really important question on my mind:

When you gona allow modding of DayZ SA ?

Its the crucial thing, which IMO could help you guys out aswell with faster progress.

Thx in advance for your response.

Yikes!

Imagine the impossible chaos that would ensue if modders were to start on this game before even 1.0.

As GMB mentioned...pretty much every question you can think to ask has been discussed and answered by the devs over the last couple years' worth of forum activity.

As a way to bring yourself quickly up to speed you should read a bunch of Status Reports in order of their timelines and you will get your answers.

I won't do your bidding and paste the answer from Hicks...but suffice to say he has stated a number of times that they are 100% looking to make modding a big part of the SA experience. Kind of a no-brainer.

Mod makers have to remember that in order to make great mods you need a stable environment. SA is NOT going to be stable until it's patched a couple times post-1.0.... let's face it. At that time I am going to be chomping at the bit to see what the community is going to do to this game....it is definitely going to be a new frontier.

• Like 3