Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.135961

4 hours ago, Espa said:

As for these long waits for updates. . I think the majority of players would be much happier with getting ONE update (smaller) every 2-3ish weeks instead of these huge updates that takes months to fix up.

At a certain point in basically any project, the work must be done in distinct phases.  This seems to be one of those phases where the only real work to be done is the " heavy lifting" of integrating major engine components.  Sad but true.

Edited by emuthreat
set your phasers to correct

On 10/8/2016 at 5:43 PM, Luc Tonnerre said:

Any particular reason for deleting my post or did you just not like it?

Anyway, Brian opens this thread (probably still months before 0.61) and instead of giving any form of info he just disappears for days and then comes back for some minutes and posts some totally random stuff. This whole project became one of the most ridiculous things I have ever witnessed.

We put out Status Reports every 2 weeks - and the post discusses exactly what issues we are working on right now. Please keep the discussion relevant to the topic, and not asking for things that we have been very clearly communicating our stance on.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

To the "improved" (more difficult) temeratur behavior of the character I'm glad, hopefully it will still be feasible to reach the prison island without dive as an iceblock before ^ ^. I hope that it also again be possible to make fire in buildings. At the moment, practically nothing is possible since the message "it is not safe" appears. In a house I can understand, but in a hall, shed or barn it should already be possible.

I'm definitely with you there - it should definitely be possible to make a fire inside large open air structures!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Espa said:

As for these long waits for updates. . I think the majority of players would be much happier with getting ONE update (smaller) every 2-3ish weeks instead of these huge updates that takes months to fix up.

This would be possible for a project that was being developed traditionally - and becomes significantly less plausible when you toss in engine development. 
We can only branch so many times before it becomes a complete and total mess to test, and manage.

Especially moving through .60, .61, and future updates that include massive technology changes such as the animation system and related player controller, user actions, etc.

Like I've been paraphrased saying before - Quicker iteration will become more of a possibility when the major engine modules are completed and merged into the Steam branch. Prior to that - it just isn't practical.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Especially moving through .60, .61, and future updates that include massive technology changes such as the animation system and related player controller, user actions, etc.

Like I've been paraphrased saying before - Quicker iteration will become more of a possibility when the major engine modules are completed and merged into the Steam branch. Prior to that - it just isn't practical.

You should post more videos from QA testing. No editing needed. Game is here for so long, no need to hide anything any more. Back in the days (pre alpha) Dean posted all kind of stuff  and did streams. We miss those days.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2016 at 5:34 AM, blackberrygoo said:

Oh boy this is a bad sign , brian hicks is biding for time , possibly another few weeks til we see this next build :( . .60 is breaking down in every way possible . Vehicles are absolutely broken in many many ways , Desync is worse than ever except for that one patch where you couldn't move without  rubberbanding back , and to top it all off on public servers the temperature system and calorie system is completely out of sync so people are hyperthermic next to people who are stuffed and starving ... 

This has got to be one of the ugliest patches despite the beauty of it . I can't wait for .61 but I have a very bad feeling that all these issues are just going to stay . IMO we are far too close to beta for all this mess to be happening , I feel like some of these systems should have been worked out months ago :( . 

oh well I can do nothing but wait , good luck developers hopefully you finally resolve this half year experimental patch push .

No.. no sir. Thats not how this works. Addressing issues in the old script and on the old animation system is an absolute waste of time. We've explained this before - there is a large amount of dependency, both on new systems and bug fixing, towards the new anim sys, player controller, and user actions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, igor-vk said:

You should post more videos from QA testing. No editing needed. Game is here for so long, no need to hide anything any more. Back in the days (pre alpha) Dean posted all kind of stuff  and did streams. We miss those days.

Well, Im certainly not going to upload videos that are 14 minutes long and have me tabbing out to answer skype, or restarting my client to change a setting..

Minimal editing is used for forum previews - but as a whole, for the Youtube channel we show things when they are ready to be shown. Not before.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

I'm definitely with you there - it should definitely be possible to make a fire inside large open air structures!

any changes of viewdistance in .61 with dynamic shadows? Till now you can spot a fire 200-300 meters away till it dissapears... any plans to ad LOD to firesources? Is this possible? Im not into gamdev so...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, eno said:

Don't even get me started about tents and their fluorescent sides visible through current trees / veg at their max rendering distance. What is it? 300m? 

Last I checked it was 200m 

19 hours ago, eno said:

I'm left wondering about the state of vegetation density

I'm also curious about the the future of vegetation density.   

@Hicks_206 (DayZ)  Are there any plans to bring denser areas into the forests?  Manually redoing every forest in Chernarus is obviously not an option.  Is there any way to do this without doing the impossible - adding some extra density to tree or bush models for instance?  Or some other tricks up your sleeve?

And also on the topic of vegetation:  Is this iteration slated for changes in the grass rendering distance?  Even poor LOD would give us careless field traversers a wee bit of cover ;)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GaryWalnuts said:

Last I checked it was 200m 

I'm also curious about the the future of vegetation density.   

@Hicks_206 (DayZ)  Are there any plans to bring denser areas into the forests?  Manually redoing every forest in Chernarus is obviously not an option.  Is there any way to do this without doing the impossible - adding some extra density to tree or bush models for instance?  Or some other tricks up your sleeve?

And also on the topic of vegetation:  Is this iteration slated for changes in the grass rendering distance?  Even poor LOD would give us careless field traversers a wee bit of cover ;)

In regards to render distance on light objects - it is something we are very aware of and have been talking about for awhile. I don't think we'll see a change on that in .61, but rest assured we are *very* aware of it and it has not slipped anyones mind.

As far as changes past .61 - we're talking .61 specifically in this thread. I'll be speaking about .62 and further at PAX Aus.

• Like 6

@Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Any plans on making nights darker again? Not DayZ-Mod unplayable dark (as to not force gamma abuse) but a little bit darker at least?

Especially with the new light-tech and stuff.

Also hoping the new audio implementation works well so we finally get nice thunder & Firefight sounds again. The thunder used to scare the fuck out of me back in the mod.

18 minutes ago, VVarhead said:

@Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Any plans on making nights darker again? Not DayZ-Mod unplayable dark (as to not force gamma abuse) but a little bit darker at least?

Especially with the new light-tech and stuff.

Just a though on that, from my POV this only makes sense, if you remove the gamma sliders .... else you will only increase the "gamma advantage".

• Like 2

Sorry Hicks if this has been answered before.
As far as I've understood, the bug where you are unable to pick up loot sometimes is due to desync. Will this particular bug be fixed or at least be improved in .61 along with the other synchronization improvements?

1 hour ago, Noctoras said:

Just a though on that, from my POV this only makes sense, if you remove the gamma sliders .... else you will only increase the "gamma advantage".

Good point, but also can be circumvented, with the help of graphics card settings. In my opinion, why not render a "black fog" that is around each player with a certain height at night.( i will see the stars ^^ ). With this solution would be an abusing with gamma meaningless ... it would then stop gray mist instead of black ... but after a certain visibility nothing more recognizable. This would also make sense with regard to the visibility of light sources.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

Good point, but also can be circumvented, with the help of graphics card settings. In my opinion, why not render a "black fog" that is around each player with a certain height at night.( i will see the stars ^^ ). With this solution would be an abusing with gamma meaningless ... it would then stop gray mist instead of black ... but after a certain visibility nothing more recognizable. This would also make sense with regard to the visibility of light sources.

I like this solution. Sadly I don't know how compatible it is with with DayZ tech though. Combined with accelerated time norms this could make night much more fun to play.

How's the dynamic spawning of infected coming along? That is the one thing I would like to see and hear more about if there is anything to share it would be appreciated.

• Like 2

Thanks for answering Hicks! =)

Here's another question. In a larger city with a few groups of players running through it and firing their weapons.. How many infected can we expect to see? :D

15 hours ago, Espa said:

Thanks for answering Hicks! =)

Here's another question. In a larger city with a few groups of players running through it and firing their weapons.. How many infected can we expect to see? :D

No idea but if you hear a bunch of voices coming towards you saying, "Brains!", it's a safe bet that you better haul ass out of there.

On 7.10.2016 at 3:43 PM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Initially we wanted each player to add to the count, but the more we looked into it - the meta game potential was so high, and the chance for abuse was also pretty high. Right now it looks like we'll stick with each area having their own min/max - regardless of player count.-snip-

But I don´t understand the difference between the spawning system right now, where infected spawning at serverrestart in different areas and the upcoming dynamic spawn system. If they spawn playerunindependent there is no difference to the existing spawnsystem or am I getting something wrong. Just more areas where the infected are able to spawn but its not predictable where they spawn in combination with CLE? So its like helicrashes? Sometimes they spawn in Kabanino, sometimes they spawn in Severograd etc?

And would it be possible to mix those systems? Per player spawn and area spawn? Because if its possible, on the one hand the immersion of a horde would be possible and on the other hand nobody knows if its per player or area spawn and the metagaming would be disabled. Would it be possible to let infected spawn by other effects than player/no player? Silent player = low chance to let z´s spawn, player makes much noise = high chance to let infected spawn? I know its not planned right now, I just want to know if its possible.

edit: possible,possible,possible :P Im not a native english speaker

Edited by imunone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LordBlackwolf said:

No idea but if you hear a bunch of voices coming towards you saying, "Brains!", it's a safe bet that you better haul ass out of there.

He said that it wouldn't differ from one or more players running through the town as it as they are afraid there will be too much metagaming.

3 hours ago, imunone said:

-Snip-

I, also, don't quite understand this new Dynamic Spawner that is being fixed up for us. . Or how it differs from what we already have. Based on certain words, it sounds like it won't be much different at all. . Which doesn't quite appeal.

Hicks, may we get a confirm on how it will work?

---

Also, I don't see why there can't be a Trigger system that encompasses large sectors of the map and spawn infected according to how many players are within.

For example, cut the map into a cross so that there are 4 major sectors and then have the trigger system spawn in Farms/Villages/Cities/Military based on how many players are within the relative sector. - So, if 10 players are within the upper-left quadrant, for every one player there will be One infected in Farms/Villages and Two infected in Cities/Military.

Does that make sense? Haha. I am imagining the Zeus system in Arma 3 where you can place down triggers. . Just much larger ones than that.

... and in my opinion the metagaming thing is less important than the feeling of a big amount of dangerous zeds. Not this "...oh theres a zed... wait I take my axe to take him down.". More like "... fuck again a horde! Lets grab that stuff and get out of here, I got only 6 rounds left in my Magnum!... No not that way there are more of them! Damn they see us...RUN!"

Edited by imunone
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Espa said:

I, also, don't quite understand this new Dynamic Spawner that is being fixed up for us. . Or how it differs from what we already have. Based on certain words, it sounds like it won't be much different at all. . Which doesn't quite appeal.

Hicks, may we get a confirm on how it will work?

---

Also, I don't see why there can't be a Trigger system that encompasses large sectors of the map and spawn infected according to how many players are within.

For example, cut the map into a cross so that there are 4 major sectors and then have the trigger system spawn in Farms/Villages/Cities/Military based on how many players are within the relative sector. - So, if 10 players are within the upper-left quadrant, for every one player there will be One infected in Farms/Villages and Two infected in Cities/Military.

Does that make sense? Haha. I am imagining the Zeus system in Arma 3 where you can place down triggers. . Just much larger ones than that.

The problem I see with the "spawn trigger" besides the already mentioned meta gaming is, that a big group should have it easier than a lone survivor. I even go as far as saying that it might be an incentive for teamwork, if you see that looting town X alone will make you trouble. With the trigger system, teamwork will be redundant again, since 3 times as many players just mean 3 times as many zeds. It shouldn't be like that.

That aside, I'd love to encounter a lone zed out in the woods as well every once in a while. They could be lured out of town by players, deer, noise, whatever. It just doesn't make sense that they strictly adhere to some kind of software city limit. But I guess we're out of 0.61 scope with this topic.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Noctoras said:

That aside, I'd love to encounter a lone zed out in the woods as well every once in a while. They could be lured out of town by players, deer, noise, whatever. It just doesn't make sense that they strictly adhere to some kind of software city limit. But I guess we're out of 0.61 scope with this topic.

I think discussions about the dynamic spawnsystem coming with .61 arent out of scope.

+1 to the  lonley or maybe small horde of three zeds roaming in the woods.

33 minutes ago, Noctoras said:

The problem I see with the "spawn trigger" besides the already mentioned meta gaming is, that a big group should have it easier than a lone survivor. I even go as far as saying that it might be an incentive for teamwork, if you see that looting town X alone will make you trouble. With the trigger system, teamwork will be redundant again, since 3 times as many players just mean 3 times as many zeds. It shouldn't be like that.

... and here it would be great again if both systems could get mixed together. Because if its possible there spawning 24 zeds without or with players in the zone nobody knows if those zeds are player or area spawned. It would be enough if there lets say 300 zeds per area spawn in groups between 3 and 40 so we have 10-15 zombie hordes spawn per area spawn. And the rest will spawn in addition per player count so you never could be shure if the zeds you see are player- or areabased. The only metagaming thing which will be possible if zeds spotting a player and aggro him. But first this would be absolutely realistic and immersive and second maybe theres a wolf, a deer or a cow which attracts aggro.

And with the per player spawn it could be, that only 3 zeds or maybe zero...? I cant remember which numbers I read. I think it was 0-8 zeds per player? Sometimes there are 24 in the zone if you play with two other guys.

Edited by imunone
  • Like 1

Agreed, a well balanced mix would also be fine. Although I can see the number of zeds decreasing again when too many people are around ... imagine a bus with 15 people driving through a tiny 10-house-village, which is suddently populated by 60+ zeds. Personally I'd prefer area spawn to have a bigger impact than player spawn for said reasons, although an additional player spawn could indeed be cool.

(my biggest desire would be for zeds to be a credible threat anyway, since one and a half years I have not been killed by a zed unless I wanted it (for a different spawn)).

Anyway, let's see what the devs idea of dynamic spawn is, I am also curious.

• Like 1